Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
coopgirlkiz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/17 21:10:47 (permalink)
As mentioned before Teas' Tea by Ito En is really, really good. Look for it at a better price and in bigger bottles in Asian markets. I manage an organic coffee and tea house and we brew fresh unsweetened iced tea each day so I'm super picky and theirs is very good. I like Tejava as well but the Teas' Tea tastes fresher to me.
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/17 22:22:16 (permalink)
Mellowroast,

I checked out the link you gave for Milo's iced tea. They have it at a store about a mile from me.
I'll get some the next time I'm there.
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/19 02:04:52 (permalink)
Pogo, as with anything, homemade tea can be brewed to suit individual taste. However, Milo's is super and is so close to what my mother brewed in the '60s. If you try it, I hope you like it.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/20 14:36:24 (permalink)
Well I'll be danged, Milo's is expanding. At least with tea that this. I adore their hamburgers and fries. I make my own tea but I won't turn down Milo's.

Red Diamond also makes bottled tea. I've had it in Birmingham.

For those that are drinking unsweet, why not just boil water, let steep, then cool off? I've never had any tea that hasn't steeped in hot water. Why don't y'all do it that way? Is the flavor weak?
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/20 23:36:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BhamBabe
For those that are drinking unsweet, why not just boil water, let steep, then cool off? I've never had any tea that hasn't steeped in hot water. Why don't y'all do it that way? Is the flavor weak?

I do this when I make it at home in my coffeemaker. I stick the teabags in the coffee carafe & let the hot water bathe them. Then I leave them in the water for half an hour. Then I squeeze the bags & pour the whole thing over ice & drink it.

It's when I'm out & about & want to drink something besides water that I realize no one has iced tea like Culver's.

For those of you who drink Sweet Tea, my mother was asking today if she can make it with honey instead of white sugar? She boils the water & sweetens it, then adds the teabags to the hot sweetened water. (My stepfather was stationed in SC to train for Iraq & spent a good 6 months there & is now completely enamored with sweet tea.) I have no idea, so any info would be appreciated.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/21 11:40:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stricken_detective

[quote
I do this when I make it at home in my coffeemaker. I stick the teabags in the coffee carafe & let the hot water bathe them. Then I leave them in the water for half an hour. Then I squeeze the bags & pour the whole thing over ice & drink it.

It's when I'm out & about & want to drink something besides water that I realize no one has iced tea like Culver's.

For those of you who drink Sweet Tea, my mother was asking today if she can make it with honey instead of white sugar? She boils the water & sweetens it, then adds the teabags to the hot sweetened water. (My stepfather was stationed in SC to train for Iraq & spent a good 6 months there & is now completely enamored with sweet tea.) I have no idea, so any info would be appreciated.

Gotcha.

I'm sure she could. Not much different than a simple syrup. My grandmother uses a ss for sweetness due to health problems in one household. Some can't have sugar and others can't live without it (her and her sweet tooth!)

Personally, I can tell a difference in taste by using a ss but it's not a deal breaker.

I've never boiled the bags with the sugar mixture. I just add the sugar to the jug, pour the hot steeped tea over it, stir to dissolve, then add cold water. Let it sit on the counter until room temp. Placing hot tea in the fridge causes cloudy tea...something I don't like

My grandmother does nearly the same, skipping the sugar part. She brings out the ss and lets it come to room temp before serving.

Considering I drink nearly a gallon of tea a day by myself that's just a slight pain in the tookus to have to deal with.

Don't stroke out, it's decaf most of the time and I even add herbal teas to my schedule often. It's not always Red Diamond...as much as I'd love that.
sistergldnhair66
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/24 19:28:57 (permalink)
I LOVE unsweetened ice tea and now you can it everywhere..but in the bottled kind, I've grown to really like GOLD PEAK unsweetened ice tea. Used to be only able to get it in the gas station and convenience stores, but now they are selling it at the local supermarket.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/24 19:41:13 (permalink)
i know its loaded with sugar but i find "Turkey Hill" ice tea the best around and the diet is excellent also!!!
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/24 22:48:08 (permalink)
Mellowroast,

I picked up a gallon of sweet Milo's tea at the Walmart. Took it home and had a 32oz glass with lots of real limes added. You're right, tastes like dear old moms tea. Thanks for the lookout!
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/07/28 16:06:16 (permalink)
Pogo: Whew! I'm on pins and needles whenever I recommend a product or restaurant. Thanks for the update! Really glad you like it!
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 994
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/08/18 13:22:55 (permalink)
Another vote for Lipton's Cold Brew. I usually cut the recommended amount of water a little, and leave the bags in for a long time. Makes good strong tea, and I just have it over ice with a squirt of concentrated lemon juice. I really, really, dislike sweet tea. " />
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/09/13 21:19:18 (permalink)
I rely on my Mr coffee tea pot, good ingredients, and the recognition that ice tea has a very short shelf life
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/09/13 22:04:59 (permalink)
It's like anything else. Too much sugar for you could be not enough for someone else, so I'd make it strong and add nothing if I were Sir Thomas.

I never could figure out why people put lemon AND sugar in tea, though, at least Nestea instant tea comes like that.
ChefShan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/09/14 01:13:38 (permalink)
My favorite store bought iced tea is Red Diamond. I am not sure how widely available it is. I can get it at the two Wal-Marts near me.

I have NEVER liked store bought tea until this one. Ingredients are sugar, water, tea and lastly 1 preservative. It is the best. I drink about a gallon a day.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/09/14 01:39:11 (permalink)
My personal peeve is at a restaraunt. getting sweet tea thats still warm and melts all the ice by the time i get it. I alsways beg them to load the glass w/ ice 1st, but it doesnt help. this results in watery weak tea.
britt
MotherNature_
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Why Can't They Get Iced Tea Right? 2008/09/14 01:55:12 (permalink)
What I hate is living in the south and not being able to get a decent glass of sweet iced tea. The restauranteurs these days are mainly not from here and don't know what it means. Sad to say.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1