The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Why Chicago Dogs?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 74
Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 7:53 PM (permalink)
Brad_Olson

Pancho, who's currently selling CSDs in Madison?  Poppa's on Buckeye Rd. has always been my weekday go-to place when I want a VB dog or a Maxwell St. polish sausage and now on weekends I have the new place in Edgerton.

Brad
As far as I know it's only Poppa's. I miss the old Dog Eat Dog, but Poppa's is OK. I'll do some scouting around and let you know. What is the place in Edgerton? I'll let you know about the duck special place soon....my wife works with a guy who goes there and it is in Newville.

cy_dugas

• Total Posts: 199
    Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 8:04 PM (permalink)
    Haven't ever eaten one, I won't judge a Chicago dog.  In south Louisiana hot dogs aren't as popular as other fast foods, but the ones I've eaten almost always have some kind of chili and mustard.

Myself, I rather a hotlink poboy (a play on the same thing?) with mustard.

I would definately like to try a Chicago dog.  The peppers ingrigue me.

cy

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
      Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Tue, 07/21/09 2:43 AM (permalink)
      cy_dugas

Haven't ever eaten one, I won't judge a Chicago dog.  In south Louisiana hot dogs aren't as popular as other fast foods, but the ones I've eaten almost always have some kind of chili and mustard.

Myself, I rather a hotlink poboy (a play on the same thing?) with mustard.

I would definitely like to try a Chicago dog.  The peppers intrigue me.

cy

With all the great food and recipes in LA, if you never ate a hot dog, you wouldn't have missed much.

You could create your own Regional Dog. How 'bout a Muffalatta Dog- Hot Dog in a French Roll with Olive Salad?? Or an Etouffee Dog - Hot Dog in a French Roll with Rice & Etouffee Gravy?? Or a Hot Dog Po Boy with Remoulade Sauce, Or Deep Fried Oyster & Hot Dog Po Boys with Cocktail Sauce, Or Red Beans, Hot Dogs & Rice?? Or Hot Dog Gumbo? The possibilities are endless!!
      <message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 07/21/09 2:53 AM>

Pancho

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Tue, 07/21/09 7:09 AM (permalink)
        Pancho

Brad_Olson

Pancho, who's currently selling CSDs in Madison?  Poppa's on Buckeye Rd. has always been my weekday go-to place when I want a VB dog or a Maxwell St. polish sausage and now on weekends I have the new place in Edgerton.

Brad
        As far as I know it's only Poppa's. I miss the old Dog Eat Dog, but Poppa's is OK. I'll do some scouting around and let you know. What is the place in Edgerton? I'll let you know about the duck special place soon....my wife works with a guy who goes there and it is in Newville.
        Madison, WI Chicago Dog update....besides the place mentioned above there is a "new" dog in town. The old Mad Dogs on Henry St. in now open under new ownership. One big catch in the works here (no pun intended)....he does not use Vienna Beef dogs, only Hebrew National. I have not checked it out....also has other dog variations, plus some supposedly amazing homemade pulled pork and some weird beans. More to follow, Brad. PS....here's a link  http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/459011  Looks like I'll be checking out Coconates in the near future....maybe for lunch today! (corner of Johnson and Charter)

<message edited by Pancho on Tue, 07/21/09 7:16 AM>

Orlando Living

• Total Posts: 6
          Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Tue, 07/21/09 7:27 AM (permalink)
          You said it well, Foodbme! With a good quality dog and creativity, is their an ultimate dog? Ultimate, is in the taste buds of the beholder! I went back to the Jazzy Dog Cafe yesterday and talked to the owner about hot dogs and this forum.  She laughed and said, a regions special hot dog is like their favorite sport team. You got to let them cheer the home team even if your from another city. Then she offered me a BLT Ranch dog, - bacon, lettuce, chopped tomato, cheese and ranch dressing, kind of like a salad on a Sabrett dog.  I just loved it! Was it because the ranch dressing? Was it because I love bacon, yum? Or was it because 3 construction workers each bought one before I got mine and the owner saw me drooling. When in Rome do as the Romans! Your discussions here are terrific.

Inthewater

• Total Posts: 129
            Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Tue, 07/21/09 12:27 PM (permalink)
            You rotten RoadFooders and this thread "forced" me to have to go enjoy a double Chi-Dog basket with potato salad at lunch yesterday, just incase you wanted to know.

;)

I love them, great style of dog.  We don't really get a lot of the other types around these parts, though the place I went (called Chicago Dog & Deli ) has quite a few options on the menu.  They even had a special yesterday much like the ranch dog just described.

Anyway, I would love to try a few of the other regional style dogs around.  Heck, I have never even HEARD of this onion sauce that goes on the NY style dogs....sounds dern tasty, though.

:)

Pancho

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Tue, 07/21/09 1:25 PM (permalink)
              Pancho

Pancho

Brad_Olson

Brad
              Madison, WI Chicago Dog update....besides the place mentioned above there is a "new" dog in town. The old Mad Dogs on Henry St. in now open under new ownership. One big catch in the works here (no pun intended)....he does not use Vienna Beef dogs, only Hebrew National. I have not checked it out....also has other dog variations, plus some supposedly amazing homemade pulled pork and some weird beans. More to follow, Brad. PS....here's a link  http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/459011  Looks like I'll be checking out Coconates in the near future....maybe for lunch today! (corner of Johnson and Charter)
              Well....checked out Coconates which is simply a food cart. Two Chicagos for $5.00 plus you get a drink and chips. FANTASTIC.....as good as any in Chicago or anywhere for that matter. Real tomatoes, huge pickle spear, and larger than usual Vienna Beef dogs. I'm going back tomorrow! PS...Hey Brad....that place in Newville with the duck specials is in Milton and called the Buckhorn Inn. Are you familiar with it?

<message edited by Pancho on Tue, 07/21/09 4:56 PM>

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
                Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Tue, 07/21/09 11:18 PM (permalink)
                Pancho

Pancho

Pancho

Brad_Olson

Brad
                Well....checked out Coconates which is simply a food cart. Two Chicagos for $5.00 plus you get a drink and chips. FANTASTIC.....as good as any in Chicago or anywhere for that matter. Real tomatoes, huge pickle spear, and larger than usual Vienna Beef dogs. I'm going back tomorrow! PS...Hey Brad....that place in Newville with the duck specials is in Milton and called the Buckhorn Inn. Are you familiar with it?

Pancho,

What a small world! Coconates is owned and operated by Donna R, a February 09' Hot dog University graduate.
                I'm honored to hear your review of her food. When you see Donna on your next visit, give her a "hello" from me.

Mark Reitman aka CSD
                PhD Professor of Hot Dogs

Pancho

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 7:17 AM (permalink)
                  chicagostyledog

Pancho

Pancho

Pancho

Brad_Olson

Brad

Pancho,

What a small world! Coconates is owned and operated by Donna R, a February 09' Hot dog University graduate.
                  I'm honored to hear your review of her food. When you see Donna on your next visit, give her a "hello" from me.

Mark Reitman aka CSD
                  That is too awesome! I'm going back today as I mentioned. She seems a sweet young lady. She was very busy and there was a long line when I left. With an education like hers, how could they be anything else but FANTASTIC! Thanks, Mark. PS...I don't know if you noticed, but her cart is mentioned in that newspaper link I posted above. I'll be sure to mention that to her as well.

<message edited by Pancho on Wed, 07/22/09 7:28 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                    Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 9:18 AM (permalink)
                    Pancho

Well....checked out Coconates which is simply a food cart. Two Chicagos for $5.00 plus you get a drink and chips. FANTASTIC.....as good as any in Chicago or anywhere for that matter. Real tomatoes, huge pickle spear, and larger than usual Vienna Beef dogs. I'm going back tomorrow!

Can't argue with that price!  Is it a weekday-only operation?  Not that it matters all that much...I never get down near the UW campus.

PS...Hey Brad....that place in Newville with the duck specials is in Milton and called the Buckhorn Inn. Are you familiar with it?

It's actually the Buckhorn Supper Club and it's back in the Charley Bluff area along Lake Koshkonong; last summer it was closed for awhile because the access road to get back in there was flooded.  It's one of the places my wife have always talked about going to but have never actually done so.

Brad

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                      Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 11:04 AM (permalink)
                      I Grew up in Chcago (Lincoln & Diversy) and used to catch the el at Fullerton. (Is the library still there?) and used to frequent a dog vendor at the neighborhood Treasure Island grocery store. One day my mom asked him to go easy on the tomatoes and he replied "Hey lady you wanna ruin my reputation?" Everytime I bite into a CHiDOg it's a bite from the past.....having said that now that i've been a FL transplant for 18 years finding CHiDog stands is like searching for the Holy Grail.   bkk

Pancho

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 5:02 PM (permalink)
                        Pancho

chicagostyledog

Pancho

Pancho

Pancho

Brad_Olson

Brad

Pancho,

Mark Reitman aka CSD
                        That is too awesome! I'm going back today as I mentioned. She seems a sweet young lady. She was very busy and there was a long line when I left. With an education like hers, how could they be anything else but FANTASTIC! Thanks, Mark. PS...I don't know if you noticed, but her cart is mentioned in that newspaper link I posted above. I'll be sure to mention that to her as well.

Well, I had two more dogs at the cart today. She was shocked when I mentioned your name and had a big smile. She's going to check out this site. Had to wait in another long line today, but it was worth it. She sells Italian Beef sandwiches there as well. Take care! Pancho
                        <message edited by Pancho on Wed, 07/22/09 5:04 PM>

Inthewater

• Total Posts: 129
                          Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 5:42 PM (permalink)
                          MmmMMmmm Italian Beef.  If you ever find yourself in Des Moines, try an Italian beef at 4th Street Italian Beef......great stuff.  May be common place in some towns, but its one of the few around here that make them and make them right.

They serve Italian beef sandwiches or Italian sausage sandwiches.  That is all.

:D  Doing one thing very well is better than doing 20 things half assed, I always say.

phlmaestro

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 6:22 PM (permalink)
                            Michael Hoffman

What? You mean you don't like your hot dogs hidden under a salad? How gauche.

My thoughts exactly. Mustard and onions are enough for me.

tommyeats

• Total Posts: 277
                              Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 7:43 PM (permalink)
                              is this the forum to trash regional roadfood eats?  with all the negativity all the forums are starting to look the same. 

while the OP admits that he/she is an "expert",  I would hope that this expertise includes actually spending time with, eating, and giving thoughtful consideration to that which he/she admittedly does not understand.  

as for ketchup on a hot dog?  good god no.

MiamiDon

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                I traveled to Chicago for a seminar 30 years ago.  Unfortunately, I did not have a Chicago-style hot dog.

I saw Chicago-style hot dogs on TV, and ordered a kit from Chicago.  I enjoyed the results.  I applaud the Chicago-style hot dog.

yodeler

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                  I've never met a hot dog that I didn't like. I suppose that puts me at the bottom feeding level, but...I'll eat them all!

Pancho

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                    yodeler

I've never met a hot dog that I didn't like. I suppose that puts me at the bottom feeding level, but...I'll eat them all!
                                    Actually, that puts you at the top. I like them all myself....just that currently there is a Chicago cart that dominates my food scape. Next week it could be a chili/slaw dog that I can't get enough of....mercy, then the following week I might break down and be forced to eat a brat.

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                                      Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Wed, 07/22/09 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                      I find the passion interesting over dogs.  Do you need to attack a new poster because they question the hype? Without new people, this place becomes the same old rehash.  For the record my favorite is any type you can prepare, be it chili, kraut, chicago (mmm.... sport peppers) or slaw.  I love em all.   While I am not the authority on dogs, I guess I feel the same way when I read about outsiders talking about bar b que as I know that the best comes from the south.   

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                        Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/23/09 1:50 AM (permalink)

I love this pic--what a happy guy!!! :)

ps give my regards to Big Wally.

Foodbme

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/23/09 1:59 AM (permalink)
                                          Inthewater

MmmMMmmm Italian Beef.  If you ever find yourself in Des Moines, try an Italian beef at 4th Street Italian Beef......great stuff.  May be common place in some towns, but its one of the few around here that make them and make them right.

They serve Italian beef sandwiches or Italian sausage sandwiches.  That is all.

:D  Doing one thing very well is better than doing 20 things half assed, I always say.

HEAR! HEAR! Pregnant Point!

Foodbme

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/23/09 2:12 AM (permalink)
                                            Large Man

I find the passion interesting over dogs.  Do you need to attack a new poster because they question the hype? Without new people, this place becomes the same old rehash.  For the record my favorite is any type you can prepare, be it chili, kraut, chicago (mmm.... sport peppers) or slaw.  I love em all.   While I am not the authority on dogs, I guess I feel the same way when I read about outsiders talking about bar b que as I know that the best comes from the south.   

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid, of the onslought of BBQ Affectionato's from other Regions of the Country. Especially TX & KS! 

Pancho

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/23/09 7:11 AM (permalink)
                                              Foodbme

Large Man

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid, of the onslought of BBQ Affectionato's from other Regions of the Country. Especially TX & KS! 
                                              Run for your lives! The door has been opened.....

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                                                Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/26/09 9:04 PM (permalink)
                                                Texas is the south!  I did enjoy the sausage I had bbqed in Texas.  I was in Texas the week of the 4th of July.   It was smoked over a pit and tasted excellent.   BTW I also had the best brisket  in Texas,  now I under stand the passion for beef. Stopped by Dreamland (orginal location) on the way and ate a half slab of ribs between Tuscaloosa and the Mississippi line. 

Foodbme

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/26/09 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                                  As I understand it, True Southerners don't think of Texas as being in the "South". Southerners typically BBQ PORK while Texans typically BBQ BEEF. Therein lies the difference!
                                                  You verified it yourself. You had Pork Ribs in AL and Beef Briskit in TX! Both very good but two different sources for the meat!
                                                  <message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 07/26/09 11:44 PM>

Pirate Paul

• Total Posts: 23
                                                    Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/30/09 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                                    The guy who doesn't understand the fuss about Chicago dogs or Cincinnati chili obviously speaks from ignorance, or he would know that it's a unique and different way of doing it.
                                                    My understanding is that Chicago style means charbroiled or grilled, not boiled.  I like both, but I do have my preference, as I'm sure most dog lovers do.
                                                    Cincinnati Chili is also known as Chile Five Ways, and is so popular that it's also sold in cans for people too far from there.  A Cincinnati Chili place even opened at one time in Van Nuys Ca.

But there's another reason I address both of these eats in the same thread.  The very best and most popular hot dog joints in LA (and, I suspect, elsewhere) do NOT put meat chili on their dogs.  A truly worthy weiner does not need meat chili to support it, but is best complimented by a smooth, velvety chili hot dog sauce.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                                      • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                      Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/30/09 1:59 PM (permalink)
                                                      Pirate Paul

My understanding is that Chicago style means charbroiled or grilled, not boiled.  I like both, but I do have my preference, as I'm sure most dog lovers do.
                                                      Actually, while you can find grilled/charbroiled Hot Dogs offered as an option, the most common way of cooking them here is by simmering, never boiling.  "If you boil 'em, you spoil 'em," is the motto 'round these parts.

Buddy

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                                                        Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/30/09 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        Pirate Paul

Cincinnati Chili is also known as Chile Five Ways, and is so popular that it's also sold in cans for people too far from there.

Cincinnati chili is not also known as Chile Five Way. Cincinnati chili is known as Cincinnati chili. You can order a a five-way, which is a plate of spaghetti topped with Cincinnati chili, onions, beans and cheese. Or you can order a four-way, leaving out either the beans or the onions. You can order a three way, which is spaghetti, Cincinnati chili and cheese. Then again, you can also order a two-way, which is spaghetti and Cincinnati chili.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
                                                          • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                          Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/30/09 5:34 PM (permalink)
                                                          BuddyRoadhouse
                                                            "If you boil 'em, you spoil 'em," is the motto 'round these parts.

If memory serves me correct, that's the official motto of Hannibal Lecter.

CSD

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                                            • Joined: 12/10/2004
                                                            • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                            Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Thu, 07/30/09 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            Actually, Hannibal Lecter's motto was:

"First you waste 'em, then you taste 'em."

Buddy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 74

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com