Why Chicago Dogs?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/07/30 20:25:30 (permalink)
The original poster of this thread, Orlando Living, is a "she".
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/07/30 21:01:06 (permalink)
While my favorite is a good ol' Southern chili-slaw dog, I love Chicago dogs and would never turn one down.  They really rock. 
isabelle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/07/30 22:10:11 (permalink)
yodeler

I've never met a hot dog that I didn't like. I suppose that puts me at the bottom feeding level, but...I'll eat them all!

I love you, yodeler. I think you need to be a bit of a bottom feeder in order to find good roadfood, n'est-ce pas? Ya gotta troll a lot of restaurants before you find the good  'uns.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10257
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/07/31 01:32:33 (permalink)
Pirate Paul

Cincinnati Chili is also known as Chile Five Ways, and is so popular that it's also sold in cans for people too far from there.  

But there's another reason I address both of these eats in the same thread.  The very best and most popular hot dog joints in LA (and, I suspect, elsewhere) do NOT put meat chili on their dogs.  A truly worthy weiner does not need meat chili to support it, but is best complimented by a smooth, velvety chili hot dog sauce.

oo
Cincinnati  Five Ways is not sold in cans. You can buy the Chili in cans. You then add the other ingredients as you wsh.

machineman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 95
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/06 11:25:20 (permalink)
My overall beef with hot dogs that focus on toppings as the way to define themselves is that its missing the point of having a good hot dog that features the dog itself.  Now, Chicago-style ingredients to come together well for a nice flavor profile... But I'd rather have a quality dog, featured by cooking it over a real charcoal grill and few/light basic toppings. 

I truly believe not many folks have not yet learned to appreciate a good dog, cooked the right way.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/06 12:00:30 (permalink)
^^the problem with this is everyone's idea of "the right way" is different. :) Some people like dirty water dogs, some like grilled, some like boiled, some like them microwaved while still frozen. They're all good!

I like mine with a snap to them (Usingers) but I enjoy Vienna beefs as well.
dalecooper
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/08 18:54:43 (permalink)
I think what draws people to Chicago dogs is first of all it's a wild taste experience - salt, the bite of mustard and vinegar, the heat of the peppers, I could go on.  Second of all it's a ritualistic food.  The proper Chicago dog has a pretty long list of ingredients for a hot dog, some of which are hard to come by outside of that area, and you even have to assemble them in a pretty specific order.  That appeals to fans of regional cuisine.  It's kind of a kick to jump through all the hoops necessary to assemble a true, non-watered-down Chicago dog.

I like many styles of hot dogs and would never turn my nose up at, say, a good chili-cheese coney with mustard.  I hit Skyline pretty regularly and fondly.  But the Chicago dog is never far from my thoughts.
dalecooper
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/08 18:58:49 (permalink)
Also, this might be the wrong place to express this sentiment, but a Chicago dog is pretty damn healthy compared to many alternatives.  When I'm not that hungry I can make do with one dog and a drink, and it's a pretty low-calorie, low-fat meal - especially next to any hot dog with chili and/or cheese heaped on top.  You get a whole lot of flavor but almost all the toppings are low or no-calorie.  Not a bad deal.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/11 17:05:59 (permalink)
I have some fond memories of dining on Chicago dogs when I was studying architecture at UIC. I worked as a draftsman for engineers to survive. I did a lot of cooking and usually made PBJ or Tuna sandwiches for lunch, but there would be times when I had to break down and cough up change for something to eat.

There was a stand down the street from the Merchandise Mart north of the river...can't remember the name, but for $1.75 I could get a dog with the works and call it a meal. If I was really rolling in it I would get a Polish and fries...damn their fries were good too!
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/11 17:20:16 (permalink)
dalecooper Also, this might be the wrong place to express this sentiment, but a Chicago dog is pretty damn healthy compared to many alternatives.  When I'm not that hungry I can make do with one dog and a drink, and it's a pretty low-calorie, low-fat meal - especially next to any hot dog with chili and/or cheese heaped on top.  You get a whole lot of flavor but almost all the toppings are low or no-calorie.  Not a bad deal.
AND THAT'S EXACTLY THE POINT!!! http://www.viennabeef.com/culture/chgodoghistory.asp For me, the appeal is that I'm not partail to the sport peppers or pickles, so I just say add some cucumbers instead when possible. Even when it's not, I still get a good deal of stuff on top. If I'm not partial to slaw, I have a hot dog if I order a slaw dog without it! If I'm not partial to chili, I have a hot dog if I order a chili dog without it! I also know I'm getting a good dog because I CAN taste it through all the produce. I do wish they'd let me add some good mustard instead of that yellow stuff. Calling that mustard is like calling those half-gallon boxes in the grocery stores ice cream. I also have had stuff on hot dogs that would make many of you question my sanity. I already mentioned cucumbers, but that mint jelly often served with lamb is awesome, and papaya or mango relish is great if it's not pickled, IMNHO.
post edited by Big Ugly Mich - 2009/08/11 17:24:23
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3142
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/11 17:26:32 (permalink)
machineman

My overall beef with hot dogs that focus on toppings as the way to define themselves is that its missing the point of having a good hot dog that features the dog itself.  Now, Chicago-style ingredients to come together well for a nice flavor profile... But I'd rather have a quality dog, featured by cooking it over a real charcoal grill and few/light basic toppings. 

I truly believe not many folks have not yet learned to appreciate a good dog, cooked the right way.

I feel like that about pizza.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/11 17:54:34 (permalink)
Amen to that ,NYPIzzaNut!!!!!
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2335
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/11 19:45:44 (permalink)
Double Amen!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
Re:Why Chicago Dogs? 2009/08/11 22:10:23 (permalink)
Pancho,

He's a few pictures of Coconates: http://www.hotdogchicagos...ow.htm?coconates&8
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1