The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Why Chicago Dogs?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 74
Orlando Living

• Total Posts: 6
Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 6:41 PM (permalink)
This hot dog discussion board has the most passionate hot dog lovers I have ever seen. I always thought I was over the top when it came to hot dogs. I feel so normal on this forum.  As a self proclaimed hot dog eating expert, I just don't understand why people go nuts for Chicago Dogs.  Hope I'm not starting a hot dog war, but there are so many other toppings for dogs what's the big fuss about Chicago Dogs?  Be nice this is only my 2d post!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17833
    Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 7:17 PM (permalink)
    What? You mean you don't like your hot dogs hidden under a salad? How gauche.

X1

• Total Posts: 937
      Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 7:59 PM (permalink)
      Orlando Living

This hot dog discussion board has the most passionate hot dog lovers I have ever seen. I always thought I was over the top when it came to hot dogs. I feel so normal on this forum.  As a self proclaimed hot dog eating expert, I just don't understand why people go nuts for Chicago Dogs.  Hope I'm not starting a hot dog war, but there are so many other toppings for dogs what's the big fuss about Chicago Dogs?  Be nice this is only my 2d post!

Perhaps you could explain what, exactly, you don't like about a Chicago-style dog, followed by what you *do* consider "acceptable". Ketchup, maybe?

Orlando Living

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 9:31 PM (permalink)
        What i don't like about a Chicago Dog is not quite the post I made! However, what is the big deal about this particular dog over say a chili slaw dog or a New York dog?  What is acceptable on a hot dog? Anything the person eating it likes! Could be ketchup. Would hate to be the taste bud Nazi, ya know?

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
          Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 10:06 PM (permalink)
          I have yet to see a Chicago Dog under a salad, and I don't think that eveyone goes nuts for them.  Their just a regional prep for a hot dog.  I don't know that it has anything over a chili slaw dog or anything else.  Eat whatever you want.

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
            Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 10:07 PM (permalink)
            Maybe because you live in Orlando you can't connect with Chicago or New style dogs....they are some of the best around.  Kinda like someone saying Disney World is overated..which to some it maybe, but I like going there.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
              Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 10:10 PM (permalink)
                Chicago, I have seen your enticing hot dogs served by broad-shouldered counter folk and enjoyed them painted with your salad of condiments under El and lamplights.
                                                                             *** 
               Alas, it's usually an acquired taste if you live outside the Windy City, where it is pretty much a staple. But no matter what area you are from, if you really, really like hot dogs, it's a welcome change from what you are used to, and therefore normally prefer. Man cannot live by mustard and sauerkraut, or chili, raw onion and mustard, or chili and coleslaw alone. Plus, trying other things makes one feel less provincial.

After having one, you can't help but feel worldly, and desirous of calling friends and telling them of your experience. And, having stepped out of your realm, you may now be fully ready to take that circumnavigating, solo balloon flight.

Then there is also the respect paid to your hot dog brethren in another region…the homage it is to partake of what they deem sacrosanct. It kind of makes you feel like you’re an important part of something that’s much, much bigger than can really be comprehended. It makes you wanna say, “Howdy, Neighbor…icht been ein Chicagoan.”

Yet of course, let us not discount the gustatory experience. The hot, mixed with the cold, the various textures---soft, crunchy, juicy---makes for a very pleasant taste explosion...the sport peppers imparting a complementary kick.  Go Carl Sandburg! Go Cubs! Go Hot Dogs!

The Bear

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Sun, 07/19/09 10:15 PM (permalink)
                I want to taste the hot dog more than the crap on top.
                the Chicago HD place near me charges $3.75 for a regular Chicago dog.
                I went in, looked at the price & walked out.are you kidding me? I would never pay that for what you get.
                that should be the price for 2 hot dogs

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                  Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 12:11 AM (permalink)
                  Screen Bear:
                  WOW! That was heavy Man!
                  Most Hot Dog eaters don't possess the intellect to understand what you wrote, but what the H**l,  enjoy what works for you!

SK Bob,
                  Not sure what planet you've been living on, but $3.75 for a Chicago Dog sold in a fixed base establishment ain't a bad price. A Cart price could be less because of lower overhead costs. Try buying a regular priced hamburger at a fast food joint that's not "On Sale" and see what it will cost you!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                    Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 12:27 AM (permalink)
                    Orlando Living

They're delicious.

If you are the hot dog eating expert that you say you are, then you will have tried one by now?

How do you not know/understand the joy that is sport peppers, celery salt, neon relish, chopped onion, sliced tomato & a pickle spear on a poppy seed bun?

Ketchup on a hot dog. *sigh* There's a line in the sand. Don't cross it.

(ps does anyone know why Demon Dogs under the el closed?)

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                      Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 12:40 AM (permalink)
                      Orlando Living,
                      Since you are a self proclaimed "Hot Dog Eating Expert", what do YOU think is the "Ultimate Hot Dog"?
                      Be very specific on Brands, Cooking Methods, Condiments, Buns, ETC ETC.

saps

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 12:45 AM (permalink)
                        stricken_detective

Orlando Living

They're delicious.

If you are the hot dog eating expert that you say you are, then you will have tried one by now?

How do you not know/understand the joy that is sport peppers, celery salt, neon relish, chopped onion, sliced tomato & a pickle spear on a poppy seed bun?

Ketchup on a hot dog. *sigh* There's a line in the sand. Don't cross it.

(ps does anyone know why Demon Dogs under the el closed?)

The CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) held the lease and decided not to renew it. 

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                          Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 1:45 AM (permalink)
                          They decided not to renew the lease because the original plan was to remodel and enlarge the el station (Fullerton Avenue, I believe) and Demon Dogs was in the way.  I haven't ridden the el in some time, so I'm not sure if they actually followed through with the plan or if they needlessly chased Demon Dogs out of business.  For a while there was talk that Demon Dogs would reopen at a different location, but I don't think that ever happened.

As for the original question, (which I was going to avoid, but as long as I'm here answering stricken detective's question, I might as well chime in) I don't think a Chicago Style Dog is any more legitimate than any other style.  Over the years I have been a frequent visitor to New York City, Detroit, and Cincinnati, all towns with a strong Hot Dog history.

When in New York, I love a "dirty water" dog right out of the cart, slathered in spicy brown mustard and smothered in a rich tomatoey onion sauce, occasionally accompanied by a forkful of kraut.  In Detroit I enjoy a good Coney, but only when the dog has been sufficiently griddled to give the skin a solid snap and an added layer of caramelized flavor.  If the dog hasn't been griddled it becomes the weakest link in the Coney Island Dog.  The chili is important too.  A hint of cinnamon is my preference.  Cincinnati chili dogs are similar but have their own style of chili.

I've never had a southern slaw dog or any of the many variations of the hot dogs available in New Jersey and other points east.  Regretably haven't been to Grey's Papaya either.  I don't know when I'll get back to NYC, but I'll make sure to rectify that oversight once I'm there.

The thing about a Chicago dog is that it has great history behind it.  During the great depression (the last one, 1929, not the one we're in now) hot dogs were sold out of carts by members of many different imimigrant groups.  The Jews, Poles, Greeks, Germans, Italians; all of them brought a different element to what would eventually be identified as the quintessential Chicago Style Hot Dog.

To its detractors I can only tell you, if the Chicago dog you were served was overwhelmed by the ingredients on top of it, you were served an inferior Chicago Style Hot Dog made somewhere far away from here.  A Vienna Beef dog has the intensity of flavor to stand up to those condiments.  There are other local manufacturers making similarly robust sausages, but if you're trying to make a CSD with a "foreign made" (outside Chicago) hot dog, all bets are off.

The ketchup question is one of taste, I suppose.  I think most people around here think the use of ketchup, or lack thereof as a mark of maturity.  Ketchup is kid's stuff and once you've reached a certain age, you're supposed to make the big switch to mustard only.  It's a bit of hypocrisy really, since ketchup is still acceptable as long as it is only used for the fries.  Listen, nobody said we were perfect, just that we make a damn good Hot Dog.

Buddy
                          <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Mon, 07/20/09 2:10 AM>

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                            Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 6:23 AM (permalink)
                            I love hot dogs and can appreciate and respect the fact that there are many different types and styles. Doesn't mean I have to like them all. But I will try them. Just out of curiosity and to identify with and partake of something that is loved and popular in a different area. See Screenbear's wonderful post. He put it better than I could. I won't eat a veggie dog. I have had poultry dogs that are popular in some regions and don't like them. I'm also not crazy for a lot of the dogs that are popular in New Mexico and the Southwest.

As for the Chicago style dog, I have had an authentic one. I prefer mustard only and sometimes chili. But I had so many Chicago dogs from one particular place that I started to gain an appreciation for them. Still not my favorite style, although I will say a Vienna Beef dog goes better with all of the ingredients than a more well seasoned beef dog like Nathan's or Sabrett. I agree with BuddyRoadhouse concerning using a foreign dog. Still, I would prefer a Vienna beef dog to be chargrilled with just a little mustard.

Saps,

Have you ever seen a dog from Byron's? Now that's a salad dog!

X1

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 6:59 AM (permalink)
                              Foodbme

Orlando Living,
                              Since you are a self proclaimed "Hot Dog Eating Expert", what do YOU think is the "Ultimate Hot Dog"?
                              Be very specific on Brands, Cooking Methods, Condiments, Buns, ETC ETC.

This is what I asked, but she couldn't be bothered to actually answer with any sort of specifics.

I'm beginning to suspect she's not actually ever eaten a true Chicago-style dog, complete with steamed poppy seed bun nestling a real Vienna Beef dog.
                              <message edited by X1 on Mon, 07/20/09 7:01 AM>

Orlando Living

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 8:39 AM (permalink)

I've had my share of Chicago Dogs and yes, I did enjoy them.  However, I don't believe it has a better taste than say a New York Dog (sauerkraut, vidalia onions in sauce and spicy brown mustard or a Chili Cheese and Onion Dog or many specialty hot dogs with numerous toppings.  I realize if your from the mid western region or the country your going to promote your name sake dog. For the hot dog lover in general I find they are no better than many of the wonderful other tastes out there. Once again, as for ketchup, I don't believe in being the taste bud police.

X1

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                  Your question was "what's the fuss"?

I guess, then, since you also say "it's all a matter of taste", I'm not understanding what you mean by your question. What's the point of asking "what's the fuss", since "it's all a matter of taste"?

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                    Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                    Chicago Dogs are hard to accept in that they do have a LOT of stuff on them, but you might as well ask, "Cincinnati Chili, what's the fuss?". When it comes to regional specialities, it's all a matter of what you grew up eating......good or BAD.  pb 

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4483
                                      Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                      There is fuss about Cincinnati Chili because it is a regional food specialty and this is a website that at it's heart is all about regional food specialties

Chicago Dogs - same deal

Not that you seem to understand that, despite repeated reminders

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                        Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                        I've had Chicago-style dogs ( Vienna, of course!) here in my own "back yard", and I've had both Nathan's and Sabrett's dogs from street corner stands in NYC; I've also had chili-cheese coneys in Cincinnati. I've even had a chili-slaw dog in West Virginia. And you know what? They're all good. It's like apples and oranges... very different but still very good in their own way. Same with the regional variations on chili. I love both Texas chili and Cincinnati style, and I'm eagerly looking forward to trying Springfield IL-style. I really don't understand "my region's better than yours"- type debates. Just be glad that there's so many different varieties to sample and enjoy.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                          I have to agree with nocarolina-I think he hit the nail on the head.

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
                                            Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                            I've enjoyed a lot of Chicago style dogs, in the Chicago area, and they are delicious.  But they are hard to eat.  You can't just pick them up with a few fingers and a thumb and start chomping away.  Try biting through all that stuff and there will be green relish up your nose.  It's a job for two hands and a lot of napkins. 

But now I want a couple for lunch.  Prices too high elsewhere?  How about 2.29 for a dog AND fries?  And gravy bread and peppers and eggs on Fridays.

www.chicagosbeef.com/

Or maybe a bagful of coney type dogs, this place in business since 1922.  Same price for a plain dog, or with chili, 1.15 for each.

www.coneyislandhotdog.com

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                                              Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                              What he said, except -- Go SOX!

ScreenBear

Chicago, I have seen your enticing hot dogs served by broad-shouldered counter folk and enjoyed them painted with your salad of condiments under El and lamplights.
                                                                                                             *** 
                                               Alas, it's usually an acquired taste if you live outside the Windy City, where it is pretty much a staple. But no matter what area you are from, if you really, really like hot dogs, it's a welcome change from what you are used to, and therefore normally prefer. Man cannot live by mustard and sauerkraut, or chili, raw onion and mustard, or chili and coleslaw alone. Plus, trying other things makes one feel less provincial.

After having one, you can't help but feel worldly, and desirous of calling friends and telling them of your experience. And, having stepped out of your realm, you may now be fully ready to take that circumnavigating, solo balloon flight.

Then there is also the respect paid to your hot dog brethren in another region…the homage it is to partake of what they deem sacrosanct. It kind of makes you feel like you’re an important part of something that’s much, much bigger than can really be comprehended. It makes you wanna say, “Howdy, Neighbor…icht been ein Chicagoan.”

Yet of course, let us not discount the gustatory experience. The hot, mixed with the cold, the various textures---soft, crunchy, juicy---makes for a very pleasant taste explosion...the sport peppers imparting a complementary kick.  Go Carl Sandburg! Go Cubs! Go Hot Dogs!

The Bear

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                                Thanks for the compliment, John. High praise indeed. 

As an addendum, while I have had Chicago style hot dogs both in Chicago and at J's Beef in Linden, N.J., during its brief but delicious run, I felt the latter was just about as good as anything I had at the former. Miss it!

The Bear
                                                <message edited by ScreenBear on Mon, 07/20/09 12:12 PM>

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                                  Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 11:56 AM (permalink)
                                                  Simple, they are a thing of beauty. I usually pop the tomatoes in my mouth along with the sport peppers first.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4726
                                                    Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                                    Pancho, who's currently selling CSDs in Madison?  Poppa's on Buckeye Rd. has always been my weekday go-to place when I want a VB dog or a Maxwell St. polish sausage and now on weekends I have the new place in Edgerton.

Brad
                                                    <message edited by Brad_Olson on Mon, 07/20/09 12:51 PM>

saps

Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                                      John Fox

I love hot dogs and can appreciate and respect the fact that there are many different types and styles. Doesn't mean I have to like them all. But I will try them. Just out of curiosity and to identify with and partake of something that is loved and popular in a different area. See Screenbear's wonderful post. He put it better than I could. I won't eat a veggie dog. I have had poultry dogs that are popular in some regions and don't like them. I'm also not crazy for a lot of the dogs that are popular in New Mexico and the Southwest.

As for the Chicago style dog, I have had an authentic one. I prefer mustard only and sometimes chili. But I had so many Chicago dogs from one particular place that I started to gain an appreciation for them. Still not my favorite style, although I will say a Vienna Beef dog goes better with all of the ingredients than a more well seasoned beef dog like Nathan's or Sabrett. I agree with BuddyRoadhouse concerning using a foreign dog. Still, I would prefer a Vienna beef dog to be chargrilled with just a little mustard.

Saps,

Have you ever seen a dog from Byron's? Now that's a salad dog!

Yeah.  I forgot about that one.  Actually, I think I blocked out the memory.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                                                        • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                        Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 5:54 PM (permalink)

I'm a native Chicagoan and have always considered myself a connoisseur of hot dogs, especially since the Vienna Beef Company, which originated in Chicago in 1893, was near my childhood home. The factory moved from the west side to the north side in 1972. What ever the reason, Chicago's a city where the first three questions we ask a stranger we meet are: "Where did you go to high school?" "What was your synagogue or parish?" "Which hot dog stand did you go to?" What is it about our native dish that makes us swoon with pleasure when broached with this subject? It's about growing up eating hot dogs at our favorite memorable stands and the personalities of the people who made and served the dogs. It's about our favorite hot dog and favorite hot dog stand, which is a passionate subject. Make mine with mustard, relish, onions, and a pickle on the side.

Mark Reitman
                                                        <message edited by chicagostyledog on Mon, 07/20/09 9:49 PM>

X1

• Location: Milwaukee, WI (Ex-NOLA)
                                                          Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 6:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          Haha! That's an awfully cute picture of you, CSD!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                                                            • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                            Re:Why Chicago Dogs? Mon, 07/20/09 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks, X1. It was taken in the parking lot of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel two years ago.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 74

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com