Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages?

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
2013/03/05 00:14:16 (permalink)

Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages?

Aside from Andouille and Boudin, (Which I thought were originated in Louisiana but I guess came from France), Why don't we know much about other Sausages from France?
We know about their cheese, wine, breads, pastries and pate's but very little about their encased meats.
We know all about the Sausages from England, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Greece, Italy, The other Middle European Countries, but very little about the Sausages from France.
Any French Sausage experts out there that can enlighten us?
(Maybe it's because we can't pronounce the names!)

7 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages? 2013/03/05 16:17:11 (permalink)
    When we go to a French restaurant for charcuturie, we often get slices of French salame or saucisson. The salame tastes very garlicky and it really rocks. Besides the ones you mentioned they do a nice lamb sausage called Merguez. I'm guessing that besides Canada and Louisiana, there just weren't that many immigrants from France probably because of their democracy.
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages? 2013/03/05 16:20:47 (permalink)
    Merguez was the first sausage I thought of. I think you're right, I think of boudin and Andouille as being from the United States.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages? 2013/03/05 17:45:40 (permalink)
    There are many French sausages that are available only locally.  For example, boudin noir (made with pig blood) is only found in the North (Nord) and the Rosette de Lyon is only found in the area of Lyon.  We think we have a good selection of French cheeses here but we really don't.  Again, many are only local or cannot be imported because they are made with whole unpasturized milk.  Some of my favorite French cheeses, Maroilles and Boulette d'Avesnes are not available here.  I have been able to find merguez at Whole Foods but it's not quite the same. 
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1737
    Re:Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages? 2013/03/06 08:49:46 (permalink)
    If you have ever had the charcuterie in Alsace ( I have.many times), you would wonder why none of this seems to show up over here....same is true of Portuguese sausage except in select areas of the US( notably NE, FL and CA)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages? 2013/03/06 09:14:27 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic

If you have ever had the charcuterie in Alsace ( I have.many times), you would wonder why none of this seems to show up over here....same is true of Portuguese sausage except in select areas of the US( notably NE, FL and CA)

With Alsace being close to Germany, maybe some of that transferred over from their neighbors.
    The Alsace cuisine is influenced by French & German Cuisine's.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1737
    Re:Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages? 2013/03/06 16:10:42 (permalink)
    Foodbme...........so true!  Seldom saw sauerkraut in France other than there.  And since the area has ping-ponged back and forth over the centuries in terms of ownership, it's a delightful area to sample foods........and...........OMG....the Wines!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Why Don't We Know Much About French Sausages? 2013/03/06 16:55:13 (permalink)
    A real choucroute Alsacienne is a thing of beauty and a gastronomic delight.... all the sausages, the pork pieces, fresh and smoked, the wonderful sauerkraut........accompanied by an Alsacian white wine in their distinctive green-stemmed glasses........superb!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1