• Total Posts : 68
2014/08/11 14:16:41 (permalink)

Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut

An interesting article in his own words:

A well-traveled writer explains why he wouldn't live anywhere else
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/11 14:53:58 (permalink)
Kinda surprised he didn't list the grinders and/or the steamed cheeseburgers
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/11 17:18:03 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

I'd have a hard time arguing Connecticut grinders are the equal of New Jersey's finest; and as much as I enjoy a good steamed cheeseburger, and love the very fact that such a weird thing simply exists, I honestly don't think I would miss steamers terribly if, for instance, I could get a great Oklahoma burger or Wisconsin butter burger whenever the oozy-juicy ground-beef yearning struck.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 07:58:59 (permalink)
Of all those foods listed in the article, the one that inspires jealousy is the ice cream.  Surrounded by all those great ice cream parlors, I would have to enjoy a few scoops or a sundae at least once everyday.  And it would be entirely too unhealthy for me to live that close to Dr. Mike's rich chocolate.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 09:08:34 (permalink)
Michael Stern
TJ Jackson

I'd have a hard time arguing Connecticut grinders are the equal of New Jersey's finest; 

Oh, I wouldn't have a hard time at all.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 11:40:28 (permalink)
Oh come on....really????????? You keep trying to claim better pizza, better subs,,,,what next better porkroll and boardwalks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 12:24:14 (permalink)
Well, the pork roll here in central Ohio is absolutely as good as the pork roll in New Jersey. In fact, I happen to have some in the refrigerator right now. I can't speak to the quality of the pork roll in Connecticut because I never had any there. But the pork roll here, Taylor, is excellent.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 12:27:31 (permalink)
Am I the only one who really appreciates the under appreciated and underexposed Connecticut Chicken Pie? 
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6819
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 12:42:52 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Am I the only one who really appreciates the under appreciated and underexposed Connecticut Chicken Pie? 

Sorry wj but it was so underexposed when I was there I didn't even know it existed.  But if I had, I still would've gone for the lobster bomb. 
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 13:53:29 (permalink)
lleechef
wanderingjew

Sorry wj but it was so underexposed when I was there I didn't even know it existed.  But if I had, I still would've gone for the lobster bomb. 

Yes, chicken pie is a wonderful regional specialty! Ages ago, Hartford's Marble Pillar served a wicked-good one. I even remember buying chicken pies at farm wives' back porches when I moved to Connecticut long, long ago. But I have to agree with lleechef that chicken pie is on the verge of becoming museum-piece cuisine, like persimmon pudding in Indiana or Huguenot torte in Charleston.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 14:18:44 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Well, the pork roll here in central Ohio is absolutely as good as the pork roll in New Jersey. In fact, I happen to have some in the refrigerator right now. I can't speak to the quality of the pork roll in Connecticut because I never had any there. But the pork roll here, Taylor, is excellent.

Oh yeah TAYLOR, that New Jersey company. Taylor, proudly made in the wonderful Garden State and exported to the far reaches of the USA!!!!!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 14:22:53 (permalink)
http://jerseyporkroll.com/

...and here's a link about those Jersey products that we are known for....just a few........We also gave birth to Jersey Mike's(in Point Pleasant) which is franchised all over the country, to get back to the topic of subs!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 15:05:36 (permalink)
Michael Stern
lleechef
wanderingjew

Yes, chicken pie is a wonderful regional specialty! Ages ago, Hartford's Marble Pillar served a wicked-good one. I even remember buying chicken pies at farm wives' back porches when I moved to Connecticut long, long ago. But I have to agree with lleechef that chicken pie is on the verge of becoming museum-piece cuisine, like persimmon pudding in Indiana or Huguenot torte in Charleston.

In the context of this thread's title, is the Connecticut Chicken Pie offered at enough eating establishments to make it one of your reasons for having to live in Connecticut?

To LeeThe Bard: this isn't a New Jersey vs Connecticut thread....no one in this thread to this point is bashing any New Jersey Cuisine, so in turn there is no need to defend NJ and thereby drive this thread off topic
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 15:27:51 (permalink)
leethebard
Michael Hoffman

Oh yeah TAYLOR, that New Jersey company. Taylor, proudly made in the wonderful Garden State and exported to the far reaches of the USA!!!!!

For years I'd stop at a diner near Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania while going and coming between Ohio and Connecticut. The breakfast menu had something called Taylor Ham,  but I never knew what it was so I didn't order it. Then, some years ago I saw a chub of Taylor pork roll in the Italian specialty market near me and bought it out of curiosity, having read mentions of it here on Roadfood. I loved it. Not long after that I saw a post here about Taylor ham and the mystery was solved.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/08/12 15:36:34
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 18:04:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Michael Stern 2014/08/13 05:36:40
Michael Stern
lleechef
wanderingjew

Michael, that's a shame that something so good is going by the way side.  I'll take a solid chicken pie over trendy "adult grilled cheese" or "adult  mac n cheese"  any day of the week. I know Dottie's Diner still serves it. There are still alot of old style taverns serving Chicken Pot Pie (vs Chicken Pie)  such as J Timothy's Taverne in Plainville. The now defunct Tasty Chick in Vernon used to have it to but sadly they went out of business about 10 years ago.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 21:14:24 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Michael Stern
lleechef
wanderingjew

In the context of this thread's title, is the Connecticut Chicken Pie offered at enough eating establishments to make it one of your reasons for having to live in Connecticut?

To LeeThe Bard: this isn't a New Jersey vs Connecticut thread....no one in this thread to this point is bashing any New Jersey Cuisine, so in turn there is no need to defend NJ and thereby drive this thread off topic

Sorry...didn't mean to be so negative....I personally love Connecticut--Lee
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: Why Michael Stern lives in Connecticut 2014/08/12 21:16:16 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
leethebard
Michael Hoffman

For years I'd stop at a diner near Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania while going and coming between Ohio and Connecticut. The breakfast menu had something called Taylor Ham,  but I never knew what it was so I didn't order it. Then, some years ago I saw a chub of Taylor pork roll in the Italian specialty market near me and bought it out of curiosity, having read mentions of it here on Roadfood. I loved it. Not long after that I saw a post here about Taylor ham and the mystery was solved.

Taylor Pork Roll or Case Porkroll are the two best.....Glad you like it....My sister now living in California has even found it there...still most people away from Jersey,have never hjeard of it!---Lee
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1