Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good?

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/09/13 15:36:06 (permalink)

Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good?

Found throughout California and in my travels I have encountered them in Ariz, Nev and Denver,  regardless if they are  an indy or small chain, whenever I have eaten at a Greek run char-broiled hamburger stand over the past 40 years their burgers, fries and other side dishes are consistently good. Most of them use some type of thousand island sauce on the char-broiled burgers, they tend to use steak fries, most have taquitos with avocado sauce,  carry gyros and serve tasty breakfasts too. Any idea why they are always a cut above?

My latest discoveries were this past week because I had to spend 3 days in Denver due to the sudden passing of a close firend of mine since high school who retired after 25 years as a city parks dept worker and then moved to Denver to be closer to his daughter who relocated there earlier this year. Wow, he retired and in less than 6 months was dead of a hart attack, not yet 60 years of age.

Anyhow, I found a gem of a Greek hamburger stand just west of Denver in Lakewood called Burgers Plus, great burgers and fries. My friend wanted to take me to famous Chuck Wagon Diner but they were so crowded at the time and we were pressed for time so we went down Colfax Ave another few blocks to Burgers Plus, we returned to the diner late that night  The next day while my pal took care of some business in a CD shop I grabbed me a burger at a Greek stand next door on Colorado Bl-Denver called Crown Burgers, not as tasty as Burgers Plus but still pretty good

The first time I had a Greek char broiled burger was the original Lucky Boys here in Pasadena in the late 60s at their original location on Walnut and Oakland before they moved to Arroyo Pkwy in the early 80s where they still do tremendously

17 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/13 20:53:36 (permalink)
    Have you tried the "Mad Greek" out in Baker? It makes a great stop on the way to Vegas!
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/13 22:33:50 (permalink)
    mayor al

Have you tried the "Mad Greek" out in Baker? It makes a great stop on the way to Vegas!

Absolutely, another brilliant example of what I was describing. Excellent choice!!!!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/14 11:57:37 (permalink)
    I think that the Greeks use Garlic on their burgers, as I do, I believe it makes a big difference!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/14 13:08:27 (permalink)
    Here's a small IE chain of Greek owned charbroiled burger joints for you to try.  Great breakfasts too.

http://www.gusjr.biz/
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/14 15:54:18 (permalink)
    Well, I can give you my insights on Greek restaurant operators here in the Northeast. They are tremendously hard workers. They seem to know how to buy and cook food. Most of these burger joints are going to buy from a foodservice distributor. The Greek operators tend to buy the better grades, not go around to get the cheapest price on the lowest grade products.

Most of the diners around here are run by Greeks. What other nationalities other than Greeks run char-broiled burger joints in the west?
    mjsneddon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 230
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/16 21:22:40 (permalink)
    Many of the best independently owned restaurants in the Chicago area are run by Greeks.  They generally offer up great breakfasts and have a very comprehensive menu for lunch and dinner.  They know how to do soups very well also.

Why all this is, I don't know for sure.  David_NYC is probably right - they have a lot of experience in the food business and a good work ethic.

Later.
    callmeryan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/16 22:45:53 (permalink)
    For the three years I lived in Salt Lake, I never had to worry about having to slum it at McD's, et al. With Astro Burger, Crown Burger, etc, I was all set. Some of the best cow on bread I have ever had the pleasure to eat, and I miss those places like crazy.

And fry sauce should be a national thing as well.

jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/16 23:05:05 (permalink)
    callmeryan

For the three years I lived in Salt Lake, I never had to worry about having to slum it at McD's, et al. With Astro Burger, Crown Burger, etc, I was all set. Some of the best cow on bread I have ever had the pleasure to eat, and I miss those places like crazy.

I've had the delicious pleasure of having both Astro Burger and Crown Burger at their outlets in south-western Utah-St George area

jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/16 23:06:46 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

I think that the Greeks use Garlic on their burgers, as I do, I believe it makes a big difference!

None of the Greek char broiled stands throughout the west I've been to for over 30 years have used garlic as standard fare

callmeryan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/17 00:32:38 (permalink)
    jonjax71

callmeryan

I've had the delicious pleasure of having both Astro Burger and Crown Burger at their outlets in south-western Utah-St George area

They really are a thing of wonderment. When I first had them, it reminded me of a place here in Des Moines called B-Bops that I really missed when I got to SLC. When I moved back here 2 months ago, I went straight to B-Bops. And while it's a fantastic burger, I was longing for Astro or Crown.

Glad you got to enjoy Astro/Crown. And St. George is just a beautiful chunk of real estate on this rock we call Earth.
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/17 10:15:27 (permalink)
    Because when you know how to cook lamb, how hard can it be to cook beef properly? 
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/17 11:47:38 (permalink)
    jonjax71

chewingthefat

None of the Greek char broiled stands throughout the west I've been to for over 30 years have used garlic as standard fare

That's good to hear, however all the ones in the  Washington DC area do, I'm talking about granulated garlic as a seasoning, not fresh garlic mixed in the meat.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/17 17:01:47 (permalink)
    Growing up in upstate New York the Greeks always had the best Dinners for very good food.  Also Great Hot Dogs with greek spicey sauce......Walt's, Famous Lunch and Hot Dog Charley's.....Oh man they were great.

Out here in Northern California There is an Excellent CharBurger place in Hayward =  VALS.
    It is as good as an Eastern Greek Burger place. Also Greek Chuch fairs = Great Food.

They know how to buy quality and then cook it the right way (with attention and love).

Thank God for the Greeks, they have given Humankind so much.
    post edited by santacruz - 2009/09/17 17:04:28
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/17 17:46:28 (permalink)
    santacruz

Growing up in upstate New York the Greeks always had the best Dinners for very good food.  Also Great Hot Dogs with greek spicey sauce......Walt's, Famous Lunch and Hot Dog Charley's.....Oh man they were great.

Out here in Northern California There is an Excellent CharBurger place in Hayward =  VALS.
    It is as good as an Eastern Greek Burger place. Also Greek Chuch fairs = Great Food.

They know how to buy quality and then cook it the right way (with attention and love).

Thank God for the Greeks, they have given Humankind so much.

Like some incredibly beautiful women!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/18 13:13:19 (permalink)
    In the South you can't throw a rock in an independent eatery of nearly any type without hitting somebody Greek.  :)  The Showmars chain in Charlotte is Greek-run, the good Zesto's here are Greek-run.  Of course I just got back from a big plate of pasticio at the Greek festival so that might have an effect on me.  Opa!
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 669
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/21 13:56:39 (permalink)
    I GREW UP IN SKOKIE ILLINOIS AND WE HAD A PLACE CALLED HUBS THAT HAD COLE SLAW AND PICKLE ON A CHAR BURGER, WHEN I TRIED IT I WAS ADDICTED, SEEMS ALL THE GREEK RUN RESTAURANTS AROUND THERE WERE ALL GOOD. EVEN AMERICAN DINERS WERE GREEK OWNED
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Why are Greek owned char-broiled burger stands consistently good? 2009/09/21 17:45:57 (permalink)
    Never had any bad Greek food. If you've never been to Tarpon Springs,Fla. you are missing out.Wonderful Greek community.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1