The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Why do some restaurants...

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48
yodeler

Re:Why do some restaurants... Sun, 05/17/09 9:27 PM (permalink)
Well, to me the perfect burger is simple and I don't much pay attention to the price. At our local joint, the See Zurh House (Bemus Point. NY), the basic burger is a half pound of angus beef (no frills), grilled to your liking with your choice of condiments. But, I am here to tell you (although I like mine with american cheese, and a thick slice of onion) the burger stands alone as a great piece of beef. Served on a toasted yellow burger bun, it is a  beautiful mouthful.

Matt from Brooklyn

• Total Posts: 3
    Re:Why do some restaurants... Tue, 05/19/09 5:05 PM (permalink)
    I have to say I like my hamburgers simple, too. If it's really good enough, not even ketchup. Just a hamburger on a bun. Sometimes ketchup or sliced or grilled onion. Never anything else.

If you put anything else on it, it's not a hamburger. It's a cheeseburger or a mushroom burger or a pizza burger or whatever.

caver

• Total Posts: 104
      Re:Why do some restaurants... Thu, 05/21/09 3:15 AM (permalink)
      Even the simplest of joints could benefit from having just a few optional condiments on hand.  A good strong German mustard is awesome on a hamburger.  A bit of horseradish or some good  hot sauce can add a lot.

But other than sending it out cold or undercooked, about the worst thing they can do is bathe it in mayo as some places seem determined to do.  Other than the fact mayo has no place anywhere near a hamburger, I'll decide how much I'd like to add if any.  Ugh.

And burgers can benefit from some good fresh baked bread just like any sandwich.  Enough of the white bread buns already.

rezlesj

• Total Posts: 17
        Re:Why do some restaurants... Thu, 05/21/09 8:02 AM (permalink)
        My problem with this question is I do not know if the issue is restaurants that specialize in burgers, such as a 5-Guys or a Red Robin, or just any old restaurant that has burgers on the menu. 

Practically every restaurant has a burger on the menu for people like my son who orders one pretty much wherever we go (except maybe chinese).  For them, the burger is more of a concession or after-thought rather than a feature item.

Now if we are talking bars and such, most I find offer quite a variety of toppings to suit any taste.

Personally I agree with the Keep-it-simple crowd: 
        - Mayo (just a coating, not a whole quart) keeps the bun from getting soggy.
        - Tomato, especially in the summer.
        - Some good sweet onion, sauteed, grilled or raw.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
          Re:Why do some restaurants... Sun, 05/24/09 11:25 PM (permalink)
          My fav. burger place of all (I believe it is the best burger I've ever had) is here in Huntsville at a place called Dallas Mill Deli. Their burger cost $4.50 and has mayo, your choice of cheese, lettuce, pickles and always a great tasting tomato. For me this price is OK, but when I take the grandgirls they get a burger, chips, fruit bowl and drink at this make each order around $10 so for the three of us to eat burgers out cost around $30.00. Of course I think they (the girls) are worth it and the burgers are great. And the best of all, the girls would rather go here than McDonald's and the burgers are made fresh for each order. Definitely worth it.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
            Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 12:25 AM (permalink)
            I know that most burgers come with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles and if I feel that the lettuce if yucky or the tomato is not fresh then I don't mind taking them off. I think that adding other condaments such as mushrooms, grilled onions and even cheese should be an option.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
              Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 1:05 AM (permalink)
              I just cant justify paying over 5 buck for a burger platter.  I remember going into a Cooker in Columbus years ago and a 1/2 lb deluxe(lettuce,tomato, onion slice and picle spear was $7.95 ala carte!  Even with fries included it would have been too much.
              I remember working at a number of differentplaces in Denver in the 70's when the hand formed 1/2lb burger became the standard.  Now you can lowball it with a 4 dollar big macc or a 3.50 Whopper the Fudruckers and Red Roins fill the next niche.
              Remember a Big Mac, fries and medium soda and get change back from your dollar!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 10:13 AM (permalink)
                In all of my years of enjoying hamburgers, I have convinced myself that the price is never going to be the determining factor in whether or not I enjoy it.

I have had excellent cheap burgers and lousy/ordinary expensive burgers.  At the end of the day, my favorite burger to date is served at Peter Luger Steakhouse in NY.  It is served from the kitchen simply as meat on a bun.  Ketchup and Luger's sauce is placed on the table.  I have never seen mayo, nor have I ever seen anyone ask for mayo.  I have added on various occasions some combination of one slice of American cheese, bacon, and one thick slice of tomato.  I do know that they serve an onion and tomato appetizer, so perhaps if one were so inclined, a slice of onion could be added, as well.  The basic burger runs $8.95 - and all toppings that I mentioned will incur an additional charge.

Regardless, if cost were the only factor, I would spend my life continually eating miserable fast food burgers.

badbyron722

• Total Posts: 307
                  Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 10:53 AM (permalink)
                  I like it when the buns are toasted.Just makes a better burger to me.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                    Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 10:56 AM (permalink)
                    The Travelin Man

In all of my years of enjoying hamburgers, I have convinced myself that the price is never going to be the determining factor in whether or not I enjoy it.

I have had excellent cheap burgers and lousy/ordinary expensive burgers.  At the end of the day, my favorite burger to date is served at Peter Luger Steakhouse in NY.  It is served from the kitchen simply as meat on a bun.  Ketchup and Luger's sauce is placed on the table.  I have never seen mayo, nor have I ever seen anyone ask for mayo.  I have added on various occasions some combination of one slice of American cheese, bacon, and one thick slice of tomato.  I do know that they serve an onion and tomato appetizer, so perhaps if one were so inclined, a slice of onion could be added, as well.  The basic burger runs $8.95 - and all toppings that I mentioned will incur an additional charge.

Regardless, if cost were the only factor, I would spend my life continually eating miserable fast food burgers.
                    ...any burger tastes better with:
                    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/dining/20united.html?_r=2&ref=dining

badbyron722

• Total Posts: 307
                      Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 10:56 AM (permalink)
                      The best I ever had was cooked omn my grill by myself.My Grandkids all call the Papa Burgers.About 1/2 lb of ground chuck al ittle salt,pepper,garlic and worchestire sauce.love to top it with sharp cheddar lettuce,tomato and onion.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                        Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 11:07 AM (permalink)
                        billydee,

Hold the pickle, hold the lettuce ...

And while you are at it: hold the mayo, hold the mustard, hold the tomato, hold the barbecue sauce, hold the mushrooms, hold the cheddar.  Even then, my family would not be happy with your creation.  In fact, you would even have to hold the 6 ounce beef patty to have a burger that everyone in my family would eat.

There is nothing wrong with your perfect burger.  However, there is less that 1% of your customers who would agree that your personal preference is their perfect burger.

We live in a BK world, even McDonald's has figured that out.

Cheers.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                          Re:Why do some restaurants... Mon, 05/25/09 11:36 AM (permalink)
                          Travelin Man, I'm in complete agreement about the price of hamburgers. If all I cared about was getting an inexpensive burger, I would be satisfied with the franchised crud-burgers that can be found within a five-minute drive of my apartment. Saving money is not a priority, though, when I have an urge for a great burger. At least twice a month, I make the ninety minute round trip to Hackney's in Palos Park for one of their wonderful half-pound Hackneyburgers ( medium rare on dark bread... burger ectasy! ) The burgers come with terrific fries and good cole slaw. Including tip, the whole meal runs about $16.00 ( not including the tollway fees ), and I'm happy to pay it. That's how important getting a truly great burger is to me. We all have our priorities, don't we? 

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                            Re:Why do some restaurants... Tue, 05/26/09 12:34 AM (permalink)
                            At your request, nocarolina!

NYPizzaNut - So long as you are not suggesting that *I* need to put that sauce on my burgers, we're good....you can add it to whatever burger you like - even a beloved Luger Burger!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                              Re:Why do some restaurants... Tue, 05/26/09 1:21 AM (permalink)
                              Thanks, TTM, for posting that photo. It's truly a wonderous sight to behold ( except for that cheese; it will never find it's way onto any Hackneyburger of mine. )

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Why do some restaurants... Tue, 05/26/09 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                Isn't it wonderful that we are all free to build our burgers any way we wish?

And cook them accordingly.

It just does not get any better than that!

BillyZoom

• Total Posts: 24
                                  Re:Why do some restaurants... Wed, 05/27/09 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                  NYPIzzaNut

Isn't it wonderful that we are all free to build our burgers any way we wish?

And cook them accordingly.

It just does not get any better than that!

Yeah, and we're all free to decide what kind of pizza we like. Aren't we?

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Why do some restaurants... Wed, 05/27/09 5:27 PM (permalink)
                                    If you are trying to antagonize me you are doing a pitiful job of it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com