Why do some restaurants...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
billydee
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
2009/04/12 01:02:04 (permalink)

Why do some restaurants...

sell such plain food such as a hamburger, bit of mustard, few onions and a plain bun? This really irks me and then they charge you around $5 for it. I don't mind paying the price but only if it is worth it.

Here is how I would make my hamburgers if I had a restaurant. My sister owns one and does a half decent job on her burgers and she has invited me to introduce the following but I don't have the time right now.

-toasted bun with mayo on top bun and mustard on bottom bun.
-1/4" slice of fried onion (or raw if specified)
-leaf lettuce
-tomato slice
-fried mushrooms
-two slices of bacon
-6oz burger dipped in warm BBQ sauce
-real slice of cheddar cheese (NOT processed)

This burger in Alberta could sell for $6.95 and the best part is that of the repeat business. How can one go wrong with a burger of this quality? Am I wrong in thinking this way? I hope somebody can enlighten me.

Another pet peeve of mine is food establishments that sell the cheap regular fries. I prefer the ones that have some outer skin left on them. Yes, homemade are the best but if you are going to sell frozen precuts, sell the best one possible.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

47 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 07:16:57 (permalink)
    I believe they to it to make a profit----that five dollors doesnt just cover the meat,bun and whatever else is on the burger--but  also -the gas to cook it the refridgeration to keep it safe to eat,the rent on the building.the paycheck of the dishwasher,and cooks,the lights so you can see the food.the ice melt they put on the frozen sidewalk at the front door so you dont fall on your way in,---and who know knows how many expences--its a LONG list-----and if your lucky--maybe a little of that profit so you they can pay the bills at HOME and send the kids to college so THEY can get rich and support you in you old age when you get put out of business by the chain next door selling 99cent burgers!
    post edited by tiki - 2009/04/12 07:18:35
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 08:52:13 (permalink)
    ===if I had a restaurant. My sister owns one and does a half decent job on her burgers and she has invited me to introduce the following but I don't have the time right now.

-toasted bun with mayo on top bun and mustard on bottom bun.
    -1/4" slice of fried onion (or raw if specified)
    -leaf lettuce
    -tomato slice
    -fried mushrooms
    -two slices of bacon
    -6oz burger dipped in warm BBQ sauce
    -real slice of cheddar cheese (NOT processed)===

She requires your assistance in making this? What part of this burger does your sister have a problem with?

===This burger in Alberta could sell for $6.95 and the best part is that of the repeat business. How can one go wrong with a burger of this quality? Am I wrong in thinking this way? I hope somebody can enlighten me... 
    ...that sell the cheap regular fries. I prefer the ones that have some outer skin left on them. Yes, homemade are the best but...===

The best way to enlightenment is to open your restaurant and do it the way you want and for the price you want to charge. Selling a 1/3 lb bacon, mushroom cheeseburger dipped in BBQ sauce (!!!) and served with the works will be enlightening and your finances will become lightened...

mark
    MikeinRI
    • Total Posts : 1127
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 09:09:28 (permalink)
    I frequent a sports bar here in RI that has 4 or 5 of this type of burger. The one I like is close to what you describe, except no mushrooms, the onions are onion rings, and the BBQ sauce is a topping, not dipped. It's $7.95 with fries, curly or regular, and I think the price is ok. It's a great meal.
    What about Johnny Rockets? Pretty simple but tasty burgers there. The 3 we have in RI always have a line waiting. 
    My $.02
    post edited by MikeinRI - 2009/04/12 09:10:31
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 09:28:01 (permalink)
    Why not put some more items on the burger?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 10:34:15 (permalink)
    Perhap the reason they don't make their hamburgers the way you think they should is because they have a few customers such as me. I don't like lettuce or tomato on a hamburger. I don't like bacon or barbeque sauce on a burger. I do like grilled onions, but not fried onions, on a burger. And I'm allergic to mushrooms. And while I enjoy mustard (not yellow) and mayonnaise on a burger there are actually a few people who don't like mustard or mayonnaise on theirs. I've heard that some people actually like catsup on their burgers.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 10:48:45 (permalink)

PS. There is nothing wrong with this burger, one of my favorite burgers is a BBQ mushroom cheeseburger. I have made them as lunch specials with the mushrooms cooked in the sauce as those shrooms absorb the flavor like a sponge.   ...And bacon always makes it better.
    A quarter inch slice of onion would require a similar thick tomato on lettuce. Over a half inch of LTO. Using a quality bun is fine but mayo on top and mustard on the bottom is too much work for the cook. Even before you add the mushrooms, these items would affect $1.00 towards your food cost.

mark
    post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/04/12 10:51:22
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 10:51:57 (permalink)
    billydee

sell such plain food such as a hamburger, bit of mustard, few onions and a plain bun? This really irks me and then they charge you around $5 for it. I don't mind paying the price but only if it is worth it.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Um, thanks for sharing it.

JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 11:27:31 (permalink)
    How much does ground beef cost up there in AK?  What about the cost in Alberta?  Please tell me if you're talking in USD or CD.

Now, about that "$6.95" in Alberta...is that USD or CD?

If it's $6.95 in Canadian dollars (you did say this was an Alberta price), that would be in the $5.60 USD range.  You're fooling yourself if you want to sell that burger for $5.60 US.  You're gonna lose your butt fast that way.

$6.95 US would be more like it...but that's a big difference from the $5 burger you're complaining about.  That would represent nearly a 40% increase in price...OF COURSE you would expect the extra "fixings" on the burger for a 40% premium.  I think your understanding of food cost, and the restaurant business in general, is lacking a bit.

So, what would YOU charge for that plain 6oz burger with just onions and mustard?  How much below $5 would it be?  Seriously...what is your food cost and what would you charge?  Thanks for helping us understand.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 12:32:53 (permalink)
    is that Canadian Bacon or good old US Bacon?
    Do you dip the burger in BBQ sauce raw or after cooking? And Why?
    By the way, I loved you in Star Wars.
    post edited by bill voss - 2009/04/12 12:34:30
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3752
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 13:01:11 (permalink)
    I do not know when the last time was that I saw a hamburger (of any kind) offered for less than  6.95 in a restaurant.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 13:16:02 (permalink)
    Greymo

I do not know when the last time was that I saw a hamburger (of any kind) offered for less than  6.95 in a restaurant.

A cheeseburger at the Gahanna Grill is just $6.75.

http://www.gahannagrill.com/Files/Full_Menu.pdf

billydee
    Hamburger
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 13:56:41 (permalink)
    Oh boy, I didn't mean to cause controversy and I think most of you missed my point. I now know that I didn't make myself clear and will try again.

I dislike going to restaurants, concession stands, etc. where they serve hamburgerrs on a cold bun with hardly anything on it. A lot of them have the bun, a bit of mayo, a piece of lettuce and the patty and that is basically it. I then offerred what I thought would be an ideal burger and quoted prices in CDN dollars. With my burger, you would have more chances of repeat business versus the other basic burgers REGARDLESS of the price...within reason, of course!

My prices did not include fries or onion rings with them either. They would be ordered as an extra and sell at $3.50.

The same applies to hot dog vendors. If you sell 'basic dogs' only, you will have small number$ compared to sellers that load their dogs.

I've been in the retail meat business for 28 years and do know a bit about food costs. However, my sister who is in the restaurant business is the millionaire...not me! I did help set her up when she opened eight years ago.

"Give them something extra and they will be back". 

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 16:08:46 (permalink)
    You pretty much just described the Hardee's Western Bacon burger except for the mushrooms.

Dennis in Cary
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/12 16:51:40 (permalink)
    Billy, that's kinda like what that circus guy said years ago,. Hmmm, who was that??? :~)
    Joe
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/13 00:29:56 (permalink)
    That sort of sounded like our current president during the campaign...a lot of talk, but no answers to the question asked. 
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/13 00:41:01 (permalink)
    JayL

That sort of sounded like our current president during the campaign...a lot of talk, but no answers to the question asked. 

Are you related to todd, levi and bristol?
    Because bristol sure knows her way around a piece of meat.
    post edited by bill voss - 2009/04/13 00:42:11
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/13 04:24:46 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Billydee, welcome to Roadfood.
    I think I understand your point.
    But I live in the south and until
    lately, a burger that cost $3.50
    would include almost everything
    a soul would want.  In the last
    few years, the prices have skyrocketed
    and nothing has been added
    to justify the cost.
    We had Mom and Pop places that
    offered good burgers with the basic
    toppings and even unique toppings
    for an excellent price, but Chains
    and even fast food places showed
    them that they could charge more.
    Especially in the current economy,
    I make my own food.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 00:47:43 (permalink)
    Actually I'm just trying to figure out the real point here.  In one breath the guy is complaining about the price ($5) of a pretty plain burger...then goes on to tell how he'd do it with all the fixings for $7.  In reality he just took that plain $5 burger and added $2 worth of crap on it.  So why was he fussing about the price of the $5 burger to begin with?

You'd think, to have a REAL argument, he would have said that he'd add all the burger toppings and still charge the $5.  But instead he raised the price by 40%.  That's all well and good...but he started out upset over the price of the "cheaper" burger.  Just sounds like he's ok with charging for it, but doesn't like it when others do.

Found it strange the way it was all worded and asked a few simple questions the he should have been able to rattle off the answers pretty quick.  Those questions were ignored...which is ok.

It's just a "hamburger" thread on an internet forum...real traffic stopping news here.  LOL
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 05:06:29 (permalink)
    I agree with most those who criticized on the basis of price and so on.  For the record I want my burger different in several details.  I would object to a sandwich with one leaf of lettuce and and one thick slice of tomato and onion.  I like a lot of lettuce and multiple thin slices of tomato and just a few circles of raw thin sliced onion - not a slab.  The tomato has to be ripe.  For me, if you don't do the vegetables as I've just suggested then you don't understand the place of lettuce, tomato, and onion on an American sandwich.  Add sliced pickle please.  Add catsup and hold the mustard.   No BBQ sauce.  Bacon, if present, has to be crisp and cheddar is the preferred cheese.   Mushrooms?  They are for pizza.  IMO unpeeled  fries are an indication of sloth,

I am glad someone mentioned Hardee.  I like Hardee's hanburgers which we don't see often enough, even in Georgia.  And a Whopper rates high also.  In north Atlanta, Rhea's Special  from the small local chain is close enough to my preferences to rate very highly.  It is reasonably priced although with a smaller meat patty than described at the start of this thread. 
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 08:08:34 (permalink)
    Billydee,Just go to a Five Guys Grill and they will heap a bunch of toppings on your Burger at no added costs.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 09:43:46 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Perhap the reason they don't make their hamburgers the way you think they should is because they have a few customers such as me. I don't like lettuce or tomato on a hamburger. I don't like bacon or barbeque sauce on a burger. I do like grilled onions, but not fried onions, on a burger. And I'm allergic to mushrooms. And while I enjoy mustard (not yellow) and mayonnaise on a burger there are actually a few people who don't like mustard or mayonnaise on theirs. I've heard that some people actually like catsup on their burgers.

Gee, Michael. For once, I'll have to agree with something you've said. 
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 985
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 10:14:15 (permalink)
    jellybear is right - just go to Five Guys - they also have great fries made from fresh potatos.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 10:35:14 (permalink)
    Very good fries!
    billydee
    Hamburger
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 11:05:48 (permalink)
    I just googled Five Guys Grill and it sounds like quite the operation and a place where I would really enjoy the food. They just opened their 400th location and I am hoping an Alberta location is in the future!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 11:20:15 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Michael Hoffman

That's sort of silly, don't you think? I mean, it's impossible to not agree with me 100 percent of the time.

GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 11:31:03 (permalink)
    what Mr. Hoffman said...

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 12:24:29 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Twinwillow

Michael Hoffman

That's sort of silly, don't you think? I mean, it's impossible to not agree with me 100 percent of the time.

It's probably the first time Twinwillow has ever actually read what you posted instead of skipping over it.

dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/14 12:25:43 (permalink)
    Word!
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Why do some restaurants... 2009/04/15 01:39:23 (permalink)
    Went to my very first Five Guys B&F today.

Two of us.  We had one regular hambuger (or should that read ham  burger) with let, tom, jalapenos, and onions...and one regular bacon cheeseburger with just mayo and ketchup...and one large fry.

The hamburger with all the fixings wasn't that good.  I feel the meat got lost with all the "stuff" on it.

The bacon cheeseburger was excellent.  The meat came through on this one.

The fries were not euphoric, but you could taste that they were fresh cut.  I'd have them any day.

I will say that the location we visited was the cleanest fast food restaurant I've even been in.  Absolutely spotless.  About 10 minutes after we ordered there was a slight lull in the order line.  The manager (and the guy who was taking all the orders) immediately came from behind the counter, swept the floor, thoroughly cleaned a couple of dirty tables...and get this...HE WASHED THE FINGER PRINTS FROM THE FRONT DOOR!!!  This place was absolutely spotless.  I was impressed by this fact moreso than from the food.  I highly commend the employees of this store.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1