Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should?

Author
OzdogsOfPhoenix
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
2014/08/08 20:15:46 (permalink)

Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should?

At Ozdogs we do a lot of regional styles. The South Caronlina Slaw Dog remains one of my faves but hands-down our top seller at events is the Chicago Style. "Drag it through the garden!"

But here in Arizona we have this absolutely sinfully delicious style known as Sonoran.

We take our standard all-beef kosher-style Hoffy frank (from Las Angeles, the same people that make Pinks) and they get wrapped in bacon, yes BACON and over baked over night and then.......

and then they are served in a bun with pinto beans and tomato salsa and shredded cheese and you nestle a jalapeno pepper right on top. The type of cheese is kinda optional but you can aslo cram fresh tomatos in there and a bit of cilantro.

CILANTRO!

The fat content just EXPLODES IN YOUR MIND LIKE A MENTAL HEART ATTACK but the salsa is lightening your palette just enough to offset what is basically enough protein and fat to sustain a third world nation. It's really HEARTY. Your customers will not walk away with that empty feeling in their tummies. I've even seen them wrapped in tortillas for added South American zing. And they are wildly popular with the Latino crowd. But not many other people order them. People at our events like Chicago or Hawaiian Style which frankly we just copied from somebody else. The Hawaiian Dog isn't an official style as far as I'm concerned but we do them with mango salsa and pineapple mustard and we try to make them using pork franks because if you are gonna do fruit flavor, pork is an easy match. The mango salsa adds texture to what would be a kinda boring experience otherwise. Frankly when you pile that on and the pineapple mustard you can't even really taste the sausage so it's not my favorite style, people order it I think because it sounds neat.

Sonoran Style is so fulfulling that you can work all day and you got that jalapeno on top to cleanse your taste buds and kinda get you back on the job. I guess it's the double-espresso version of a hot dog. It takes more prep time but it's more than worth it.....

if you like an almost 100% fat and protein bomb in your mouth.

Perhaps you will join with me in promoting this awesome regional style, try it, you will like it. I think your customers will too. If they don't already have congestive heart failure.
post edited by OzdogsOfPhoenix - 2014/08/08 20:24:01

11 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8398
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/08 21:40:36 (permalink)
    I really like the Sonoran but I pass right through Phoenix to get to Tucson to eat mine at El Guero Canelo.

They don't get the press or have the recognition of the Chicago Dog.

Forget the cilantro and add grilled onions.  I might buy one if in a Bollilo Roll.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/09 03:08:04 (permalink)
    OzDog,
    You're new on here and probably not had an opportunity to read a lot of previous posts on here about Tucson's Sonoran Dogs. They've been discussed at length on other threads over a period of time. I've posted info and links about the availability, (Or lack thereof) of Sonoran dogs in Phoenix including the Nogales food truck on 20th Street & Indian School and Moreno's Mexican restaurants. 
    I've been befuddled by the fact that there aren't more places in PHX that sell Sonoran Dogs. Seems like it would be a natural.
    There are more joints selling Chicago Vienna Beef dogs than anything else. There's probably carts in the Hispanic neighborhoods that sell them but outside of that, you're hard pressed to find them in many other places. I'm surprised that the people who went to the Univ. of AZ don't provide a base of customers for them. Big in Tucson but under the radar in PHX!

Do you serve yours on a Bolillo Roll?
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/08/09 03:16:48
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3323
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/09 16:16:51 (permalink)
    Rule Number One at Hot Dog University: Offer your customers what they want. Phoenix is a Chicago hot dog city with many Chicago expats. Phoenix has 26 restaurants/stands within a 20 miles radius serving Vienna Beef hot dogs and that number doesn't include carts, trailers, and food trucks.

CSD
    post edited by chicagostyledog - 2014/08/09 16:31:06
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/09 18:07:26 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog
    Rule Number One at Hot Dog University: Offer your customers what they want. Phoenix is a Chicago hot dog city with many Chicago expats. Phoenix has 26 restaurants/stands within a 20 miles radius serving Vienna Beef hot dogs and that number doesn't include carts, trailers, and food trucks.
     CSD

That's what I'm talkin' about! There's probably more than that. I see them everywhere.
    When the CUBBIES are in town, there's more Cubs fans at the Ballpark than D'Backs fans! 
    And they have the biggest crowds during Spring Training season.
    Conversely, there's more Hispanics in the Valley than there are Midwesterners along with all those people who've been to Tucson and had them, so where's the Sonoran Dogs?
    I make them at home using Fud's Dogs that you can find in the Hispanic Markets.
    They're a shorter dog, about the size of a man's index finger.

post edited by Foodbme - 2014/08/09 18:09:16
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/10 10:23:39 (permalink)
    Because they're Hispanic they should like Sonoran hot dogs?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/10 16:02:51 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    Because they're Hispanic they should like Sonoran hot dogs?

Don't Poles like Kielbasa?
    Don't Germans like Knockwurst?
    Don't Italians like Salami?
    Don't English/Irish like Bangers?
    Yeah, Hispanics like Sonoran dogs - They originated in Sonora Mexico.
    Have you ever had one? If not, you might like them too. 
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/10 19:51:25 (permalink)
    I'm in Los Angeles and when you leave a bar or festival there are always street vendors selling bacon-wrapped hot dogs with sauteed peppers and onions. They outfit a shopping cart with a small propane tank and set a cookie sheet on top which they use as a cooktop. We love them in spite of the health department repeatedly trying to get rid of them.

Maybe it is your clientele. They are too sober.

Late night + drunk = Bacon Hot Dogs

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/10 21:37:15 (permalink)
    EliseT
    I'm in Los Angeles and when you leave a bar or festival there are always street vendors selling bacon-wrapped hot dogs with sauteed peppers and onions. They outfit a shopping cart with a small propane tank and set a cookie sheet on top which they use as a cooktop. We love them in spite of the health department repeatedly trying to get rid of them.

Maybe it is your clientele. They are too sober.

Late night + drunk = Bacon Hot Dogs

Elise, I do believe that you've hit the nail on the head! The combination of that inexpensive hot dog, made with pork and chicken (never beef), combined with the flavor from the greasiness of the bacon, peppers, and onions, after a night of drinking, make these dogs a tasty treat, off an illegal cart. It's all about the experience!

CSD
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1349
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/11 15:01:12 (permalink)
    "What's this about Sontaran hot dogs?????"

OzdogsOfPhoenix
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/28 13:40:21 (permalink)
    Mark! Count my lucky stars! Your words have resounded through my hot dog heart for these years. I once asked you how us doggers are gonna do with a worsening economy and as the "misery index" on this planet goes higher and higher and I was fretful but you said in your usual jovial way "we're gonna do fine bro, we're the Depression Sandwich".

As usual you are correct down to the last detail. We're doing better than ever at Ozdogs, we think we're getting jobs from people that used to use 3 and 4 star caterers. We're doing weddings and Bar and Bat Mitzvas! Mozzletov!

Sinc we last spoke, I'm really impressed and grateful that all these young, hip and cool people are encouraging us to get even MORE experimental with our menu and people just yum it up. But in real truth, the Chicago Style still sells better than anything else, it's our NUMBER ONE most popular request.

You aren't a guru, you are a GOD in this industry and I can't thank you enough.
    post edited by OzdogsOfPhoenix - 2014/08/28 13:44:34
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Why don't Sonoran Style sell like it should? 2014/08/28 14:19:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the kind words, OZ. Cart Catering is working smarter, instead of harder and I commend you for successfully growing your business through catering. Referrals keep a catering business in business during good and bad times. No waste, no gloves on/gloves off, you're in, you're out, and most importantly, you're paid. Check out my buddy Dante Rivera in Seattle, who, as yourself, morphed from a street cart to a catering business, while still doing some street vending. www.dantesinfernodogs.com
    Keep up the great job.
    Your buddy,
    Mark
    post edited by chicagostyledog - 2014/08/28 14:21:20
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1