Why is Roadfood Important?

Author
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2003/03/20 15:02:44 (permalink)

Why is Roadfood Important?

Has anyone written an essay or done an indepth analysis of why it's important for us to preserve regional American cuisines, especially given that our towns are being overrun with Walmarts and McDonalds? Roadfood is cool and fun and kitschy (sp?) and everything, but the real reason why I keep coming back to this website is it's value in the preservation of our culture.

-Yumbo

7 Replies Related Threads

Jord
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Why is Roadfood Important? 2003/04/13 17:09:22 (permalink)
    Looking for regional recommendations in Tacoma, south to Mt. Rainer, Seattle and San Juan Islands. Leaving from Ohio on 4/19. Yumbo is the only poster in that area. Yumbo can you email me some suggestions, and can other road food fans.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Why is Roadfood Important? 2003/04/13 21:25:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

Has anyone written an essay or done an indepth analysis of why it's important for us to preserve regional American cuisines, especially given that our towns are being overrun with Walmarts and McDonalds? Roadfood is cool and fun and kitschy (sp?) and everything, but the real reason why I keep coming back to this website is it's value in the preservation of our culture.

-Yumbo

And because roadfood tastes alot better than the chain stuff usually. And isn't that the real point of life..to eat stuff that tastes reallly good? (burp).
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Why is Roadfood Important? 2003/04/14 01:13:34 (permalink)
    To me Roadfood is a reminder that a well made cheeseburger or BBQ bologna sandwich with beer can provide as much pleasure as lobster and sweetbreads in puff pastry with a fine white burgundy.

Love it all, keeps your feet on the ground.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15334
    RE: Why is Roadfood Important? 2003/04/14 08:08:08 (permalink)
    It is interesting to note that many of the suburban/urban places long-noted for good roadfood have moved more 'Upscale' in both menu and pricing. I do believe that causes a loss of total image of what roadfood really is.
    After several visits to Arthur Bryants in the '84-'93 time period, we headed there in '96 . I had braced my wife with a description of the atmosphere of the place and all was as it should have been, except for the clientele,,, Instead of the usual mis-mash of blue-collar and no-collar folks, the parking lot was full of BMW'ss and Volvo's and suits and ties were the uniform of the majority of the customer's. The place was in the same location, and the security guard was the same giant guy, and the greasey floor was as it was...But somehow we felt different, almost out of place (or culture) being there.
    Hard to describe the feeling, but it was noticeable! The next visit was on a weekend in '98 and things seemed "more normal". I guess the working stiffs take their lunch seriously during the week even when they don't "dress for dinner" hehehe.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Why is Roadfood Important? 2003/04/14 11:51:56 (permalink)
    Roadfood is an important preservation of the American Dream! Some times you can get bit by a bad one, but I prefer trying "local", otherwise, why travel!
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Why is Roadfood Important? 2003/04/14 13:25:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jord

Looking for regional recommendations in Tacoma, south to Mt. Rainer, Seattle and San Juan Islands. Leaving from Ohio on 4/19. Yumbo is the only poster in that area. Yumbo can you email me some suggestions, and can other road food fans.

Let me know what sorts of food you're looking for ... breakfast? Seafood? Typical Pacific Northwest stuff?

-Yumbo
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Why is Roadfood Important? 2003/04/14 13:34:04 (permalink)
    Roadfood is a great way to say "NO" to the homogenization of America. You can drive across the country and eat nothing but McDonald's and fill-up at Texaco and shop at WalMart, but why? You may save a few bucks (perhaps), but you'll most certainly get a tummyache, eat the same things all the time and see very little about the people who make our small towns, cities, states, regions so special.

These restaurants exude the passion of a region...and thanks to Jane and Michael, our travel experiences have been all the better as a result of their hard work.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1