Why is Whataburger so unique?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
J. Wellington Wimpy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2005/01/08 00:06:55 (permalink)

Why is Whataburger so unique?

Whataburger has got to be the best burger in the world. I say this because i can't think of any way it can be improved upon. Does anyone know what exactly is so addicting about the WB burger/fries?

36 Replies Related Threads

DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 01:28:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by J. Wellington Wimpy

Whataburger has got to be the best burger in the world.

Don't agree Wimpy. Whataburger (if you're talking about the chain) is forgettable in my book. Ate at one in Peoria, AZ last year and didn't think it was anything much different than McD's - and that's saying very little. 'In-N-Out' rules if you're talking burger chains.

But, I must say, that no chain can compare to most of the local mom & pop burger joints that are available all over the country.

Search out and support your local mom & pop joint!

Dino
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 02:33:34 (permalink)
    Sorry Dino, 'In-N-Out' is way over rated. The meat is way overcooked to the point of being dry. The condiments are ok but I just can't get by the overcooked meat. Whataburger is fine by me. I have to say that this is only my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 08:08:40 (permalink)
    Haven't had one for several years, but as I recall was just okay as far as FF burgers go. Remember that it was loaded w/ mayonnaise which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Agree w/ DinoS that mom n pop joints are always a better bet unless you are desperate for a burger fix. BTW, welcome to RF. I'm pretty new myself and have found it most informative and very welcoming.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    J. Wellington Wimpy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 08:22:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

Haven't had one for several years, but as I recall was just okay as far as FF burgers go. Remember that it was loaded w/ mayonnaise which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Agree w/ DinoS that mom n pop joints are always a better bet unless you are desperate for a burger fix. BTW, welcome to RF. I'm pretty new myself and have found it most informative and very welcoming.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

Thanks for the welcoming. The Whataburger doesn't come with mayo. Maybe you're thinking of another chain.

Dino, if the one in AZ is anything like McD's, then they must not be uniform all over. Come to Texas and you'll see what i was saying in my original post.
    Hamburglar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 12:30:01 (permalink)
    Don't forget Whataburger breakfast! Breakfast on a Buns are only 99 cents right now, so get 'em while they're hot!
    J. Wellington Wimpy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 12:33:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hamburglar

Don't forget Whataburger breakfast! Breakfast on a Buns are only 99 cents right now, so get 'em while they're hot!

When are they not hot? BOB's are like little bundles of goodness.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18487
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 12:37:30 (permalink)
    I haven't had a Whataburger in many years. I had two, as I recall. My first one, and then another that I tried because I felt it only fair to give them another chance. The first was in Amarillo and the second was in Austin.
    Hamburglar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 12:41:54 (permalink)
    quote:

Yeah, little bundles of goodness. Like babies, but I prefer the BOB over a baby because it is easier to eat.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 13:27:58 (permalink)
    I tried my first Whataburger in the DFW area this year. I enjoyed it. I like that they are prepared "to order" -- just like an In-n-Out -- no waiting under a heat lamp. One poster likened to McDonald's -- IMO, at least these aren't prepared en masse, and then sit around waiting for one to be ordered.

I just found out that my little burb of Melbourne, FL will have it's very own Whataburger opening soon (rumor is Jan 11!), and am pretty excited. It is far enough out of the way that I won't be stopping there that often, but it is nice to know that there will be one close enough by that if I get the urge for a decent, inexpensive, FF burger, I can have one.

Steve

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 13:34:15 (permalink)
    Never had a Whataburger, don't understand the fuss about In-N-Out, and all the mom and pop's around here aren't very good for whatever reason... best burger I've had (since Dairy Belle in the 60's), was from Denny's.. seriously.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 13:34:37 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

Thanks for the welcoming. The Whataburger doesn't come with mayo. Maybe you're thinking of another chain.

Dino, if the one in AZ is anything like McD's, then they must not be uniform all over. Come to Texas and you'll see what i was saying in my original post.

While a Whataburger does not come with mayo, even if you request "everything"; the certainly have packets of same there. The reason I like Whataburger, besides the fact that one is soon to come to my local area, is the fact that everything that you order is indeed cooked to order.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 23:08:10 (permalink)
    Whataburgers are really good; one of the best as far as chain burgers. "One with cheese" (which implies "all the way" - lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mustard) is a truly balanced meal, and tasty to boot.

Their fries are not anything special, thus not worth ordering. The onion rings suck. Everything else on the menu is standard fast food.

Bottom line, the burgers are worth eating.
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/08 23:29:51 (permalink)
    Here, here Bushie I do agree that WhataBurgers are tasty burgers indeed...nothing like a Mickey D's in any way. I do however rate Blake's Lotaburgers above Whataburgers. My main beef with Blake's is they have great hotdogs...but insist on using a horrible chili on them

2 cents
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/09 07:03:20 (permalink)
    guess i'm out of the loop--- what the heck is a "Whataburger" anyway???
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/09 09:21:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerseygirl127

guess i'm out of the loop--- what the heck is a "Whataburger" anyway???

Here's the website:

http://www.whataburger.com/
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/09 17:16:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Green_Chile

Here, here Bushie I do agree that WhataBurgers are tasty burgers indeed...nothing like a Mickey D's in any way. I do however rate Blake's Lotaburgers above Whataburgers. My main beef with Blake's is they have great hotdogs...but insist on using a horrible chili on them

2 cents

My main beef with Blake's is that creepy mascot they have, who looks bizarrely like George W. Bush...only even goonier.

Whataburger cannot be touched as far as fast-food chain burgers go, and that includes In-N-Out, which is currently in the position Krispy Kreme was, say, ten years ago: there aren't many of 'em, so the scarcity combines with regional pride to over-elevate the quality of the product. In-N-Out is a good burger, but if there was one on every corner, their reputation wouldn't be as high as it is.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/09 18:53:25 (permalink)
    J.W.W., I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a Whataburger today.

Whataburger is the best fastfood burger around. That's because they don't cook the meat until the order is placed, so the burger is hot and fresh when you get it.
    J. Wellington Wimpy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/09 20:05:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by olphart

J.W.W., I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a Whataburger today.

Whataburger is the best fastfood burger around. That's because they don't cook the meat until the order is placed, so the burger is hot and fresh when you get it.

lol nice Popeye reference

Yeah, everything about Whataburger is perfect. It's the best food, and 24-hour! I have alot of respect for the company because they've grown into a really big chain but haven't sacrificed any of the quality or customer service.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/09 23:06:50 (permalink)
    There is a collection of shops and restaurants in downtown Bastrop along the Colorado River. The buildings are at different levels from each other, and my girlfriend calls the area “Sweethaven” because it looks like the town in the movie Popeye.
    J. Wellington Wimpy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 00:29:36 (permalink)
    olphart, but Whataburger isn't just great because it's 'made to order'. There are lots of places that cook your burger when you order them. There's something else. It has something to do with that distinct whataburger smell! and how everything compliments eachother so well (burger/fries/ketchup). That Fancy Ketchup is the best.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 01:35:25 (permalink)
    I found one in Shreveport, tried it, and decided that as far as I could tell it was just okay fast food. Actually, for chain ff, my choice is emphatically Sonic.
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 02:14:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

I found one in Shreveport, tried it, and decided that as far as I could tell it was just okay fast food. Actually, for chain ff, my choice is emphatically Sonic.

Sonic is decent...alas it rates 3rd in my Blake's LotaBurger, Whataburger, Sonic FF burger list here in ABQ. There are still none that come close to the Route 66 location of Bob's Burgers "Ranchero Supreme" for a pure drive-in Green Chile Cheeseburger experience.

2 cents
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 04:18:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DinoS

quote:

Whataburger has got to be the best burger in the world.

Don't agree Wimpy. Whataburger (if you're talking about the chain) is forgettable in my book. Ate at one in Peoria, AZ last year and didn't think it was anything much different than McD's - and that's saying very little. 'In-N-Out' rules if you're talking burger chains.

But, I must say, that no chain can compare to most of the local mom & pop burger joints that are available all over the country.

Search out and support your local mom & pop joint!

Dino

The only time I eat a burger in a restaurant locally anymore is in one of the small places. One of the best I ever had was in Arlington, Texas in 1994. My in law's lived near a little carryout/burger shack with a name so forgettable that it worked. (I forgot it.) Anyway, they had great burgers and also served sliced, fried jalapenos as a side item. They were fantastic, unless you go a little crazy and eat your own order and the one your ordered for your wife. Only time in my life I've ever had heartburn, but I thought it was going to kill me.
    Given the chance, I'd do it all over again.
    Farmallcub
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 04:40:30 (permalink)
    I sure miss Whataburger. Thay all closed here in Nashville Tn in the mid 1980s. I worked the 3rd shift and could get a burger on the way home.[|)]
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 08:57:37 (permalink)
    JWW, I was referring to the national chains like Booger King, McPukes, Sonic and the like. Naturally, there are many local burger joints that make to order.
    J. Wellington Wimpy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 14:04:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by olphart

JWW, I was referring to the national chains like Booger King, McPukes, Sonic and the like. Naturally, there are many local burger joints that make to order.

Yeah, i know. I had a question mark in my post that i forgot to take out while tinkering with it, so it probably didn't make sense to you. I was basically just saying that not only is it made-to-order (which sets it apart from others), but there is also something else that makes it addicting. I eat WB at least 3 times a week.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/10 14:15:02 (permalink)
    Whataburger is my choice for a "fast-food" type burger. The taste is reminiscent of the old-fashioned drive-in burgers. Thin patties, toasted buns, lots of mustard, pickles, onions and tomatoes. Don't they use Mrs. Baird's bread for buns?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/19 19:07:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

quote:

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

While a Whataburger does not come with mayo, even if you request "everything"; the certainly have packets of same there. The reason I like Whataburger, besides the fact that one is soon to come to my local area, is the fact that everything that you order is indeed cooked to order.

Alas; I have as of this day found that WAB has decided not to come to my area. While I am REALLY not that surprised; I as of now remain locked in my abode due to my recent onset of depression...
    atdt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Why is Whataburger so unique? 2005/01/20 02:05:51 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Hamburglar

Oh.. My... God... don't even get my started on the BOB's... I just ate 2 of them right now. I'm so addicted.

The thing about whataburger is that it's very inconsistant. One day you will get the best burger you've ever had in your life! Other times they just wimp out on you. I guess it varies from shift to shift and from store to store. AND, you've got to know what to order.. A1 Thick and Hearty burger... *DrOoL*
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1