Why is westcoast pizza so bad?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/13 21:48:53 (permalink)
I don't do the 'u bake thing' because it doesn't work. You need a salamander oven or brick oven or something like Ruths Chris uses that is 700 to 800 degrees. If I coulld affor the kitchen remodel, I'd add the 2" gas line needed to power one of those blow holes and make pizza! But you need the big oven for good pizza.

plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1030
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/14 00:29:31 (permalink)
No comment on this subject, being a Midwesterner who grew up on Pizza King and has lived on the East and West coasts. I just want to say I like the name Sandy Eggo (my favorite city).
TecateTom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/14 01:28:01 (permalink)
Oh, now I get it!! Frozen waffles kept coming to mind every time I read the name. I must be a little slow upstairs!
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/14 03:22:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

They have Papa Murphy's stores here in Central Ohio. There are several other take-and-bake places, as well.

Papa Murphy's is a baby step above supermarket freezer pizza and I'd actually rank it beneath some of them. I don't understand the attraction. Take-out pizza is always better after a ride home because the ingredients have a chance to become as one. It's kind of a spiritual thing.
Pizzafiend
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/15 19:24:53 (permalink)
The water thats why it's the worst for making pizza.If you want you can use ice mountain bottled water which is available on the west coast its from lake michigan and its the perfect water for pizza if you cant get good old Chicago tap which is also from Lake Michigan (and the best for making pizza)its the next best thing.
Pizzafiend
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/15 19:36:19 (permalink)
There is a posting from Jessicazee about a pizza joint in southeast wisconsin and the reason why its so good is the water used is Lake Michigan tap water the best for making pizza.People im telling you a simple fact thats why i say use the next best thing Ice mountain water it's pumped right out of lake Michigan and bottles in eastern Wisconsin.The manufacturing center is right on the coast of lake michigan in wisconsin you can look it up on there website.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/15 23:32:45 (permalink)
Bad West Coast Pizzas? They must have found their recipes in West Michigan...
paranoid123
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/19 20:19:18 (permalink)
I hate to make or support generalities, even though I'm from Los Angeles, I have to agree. At least this is true in Southern California. We tend to have more chains like Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc. And the few smattering of local Mom & Pop pizzarias, aren't very good. Perhaps this is because not as many Italians settled on this side of the coast.

Although I had a pizza at Lombardi's Pizza in New York, and I can't say I enjoyed it very much. One day I'd like to try the stuff in New Haven.

My criteria is on the crust. Anyone can throw toppings on a pizza, but if you can't make good crust, it's not a good pizza. I prefer a crisp crust.

The best pizzas in California I've had are incidentally in the Bay area, two of them at cooperative bakeries. Arizmendi Bakery in San Francisco, Cheeseboard in Berkeley, and Chez Panisse Cafe in Berkeley. All these places only have one type of pizza each day. Always vegetarian.

Haven't found anything I really like in LA. I can't speak for Oregon or Washington.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4606
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/19 20:33:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by paranoid123

I
Haven't found anything I really like in LA. I can't speak for Oregon or Washington.

I'll save you the trip ... no good pizza I know (Cibelli's as a pretty good option in and around Bend) ... but it still ain't east coast.

Washington state is good-pizza free. There are some places here that rival mediocre-to-poor east coast places.

Overall, I'd say WC pizzas are so poor is that (A) people who run pizza joints out here either don't know good pizza -- or the have the convoluted idea that they can "improve" on the stuff we so appreciate back east ... and/or (I hope this isn't the case) (B) that the consumers don't appreciate a good EC-style pie.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/19 20:53:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by paranoid123

I hate to make or support generalities, even though I'm from Los Angeles, I have to agree. At least this is true in Southern California. We tend to have more chains like Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc. And the few smattering of local Mom & Pop pizzarias, aren't very good. Perhaps this is because not as many Italians settled on this side of the coast.

Although I had a pizza at Lombardi's Pizza in New York, and I can't say I enjoyed it very much. One day I'd like to try the stuff in New Haven.

My criteria is on the crust. Anyone can throw toppings on a pizza, but if you can't make good crust, it's not a good pizza. I prefer a crisp crust.

The best pizzas in California I've had are incidentally in the Bay area, two of them at cooperative bakeries. Arizmendi Bakery in San Francisco, Cheeseboard in Berkeley, and Chez Panisse Cafe in Berkeley. All these places only have one type of pizza each day. Always vegetarian.

This New Yorker who lived in Berkeley for a brief spell would second this comment: the Cheeseboard in Berkeley, besides baking up some absolutely delicious breads, also makes a fantastic pizza, just incredibly delicious (and you can get a glass of wine to go with it; gotta love those liberal laws about serving wine in California). The only problem is, when I was there in the nineties, the pizza was only made on one day of the week (Thursday?) and would sell out by late afternoon. But it still remains a very fond memory, and yes, their pizza could stand up very well to an awful lot of pizza served on the East Coast.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/19 23:09:47 (permalink)
Washington is pretty much "good food" free. There are a few good road food place there, but the rest seems to be dominated by overrated local places and chains. There are only a couple of good pizza places in the entire Puget Sound of several million people.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4606
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/19 23:22:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

Washington is pretty much "good food" free. There are a few good road food place there, but the rest seems to be dominated by overrated local places and chains.

Ditto.

No argument from me on that ... the locals think this is some kind of a mecca
Molinari
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/20 00:05:49 (permalink)
Because it is not really pizza. It is dough with something on it.
SADIAS
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/20 01:48:56 (permalink)
Text WEST COAST PIZZA IS PRETTY GOOD AT BOSTON PIZZA. I HAVE TRIED A LOT OF PIZZA IN MY LIFETIME. BUT I HAVE YET TO FIND A PIZZA IN CALIFORNIA THAT IS ANY BETTER THAN BOSTON PIZZA. I KNOW A GUY WHO USE TO WORK HERE IN HANFORD WHERE ONE OF THE RESTURANTS IS LOCATED, (I THINK THERE ARE 4 OR FIVE IN THE AREA) HE MOVED TO OREGON TO A NEW JOB. HE SO MISSED THIS PIZZA THAT WHEN HE COMES BACK HE TAKES 5 OR 6 BACK WITH HIM TO OREGON. FIRST HE FREEZES THEM. BUT THIS PIZZA PLACE HAS A KIND OF WIERD BACKGROUND. THE GUY THAT OPENED IT IS PORTUGUESE, HE USE TO LIVE IN BOSTON AND WORKED FOR ANOTHER GUY WHO OWNED A PIZZA JOINT. WELL HE GOT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE A THE PIZZA AND HE BROUGHT IT OUT TO CALIFORNIA, SPECIFICALLY HANFORD...WHICH IS HALF-WAY BETWEEN FRESNO AND BAKERSFIELD...SO IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA SOME DAY TRY THE BOSTON SPECIAL COMBO AND ALWAYS ASK FOR EXTRA SAUCE I KID YOU NOT...YOU WILL BE BACK FOR MORE OR YOU WILL BE ORDERING MORE TO TAKE WITH YOU. GUARENTEED!!!
paranoid123
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/20 16:01:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

This New Yorker who lived in Berkeley for a brief spell would second this comment: the Cheeseboard in Berkeley, besides baking up some absolutely delicious breads, also makes a fantastic pizza, just incredibly delicious (and you can get a glass of wine to go with it; gotta love those liberal laws about serving wine in California).

Yes, you can even take your pizzas and glasses of wine and eat on the grassy median right on Shattuck Ave!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7776
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/09/25 18:50:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Eggo

Washington is pretty much "good food" free. There are a few good road food place there, but the rest seems to be dominated by overrated local places and chains. There are only a couple of good pizza places in the entire Puget Sound of several million people.

I found some excellent Asian and Seafood Restaurants when I lived in Seattle. Pizza, on the other hand- I tried dozen's of Pizza Places recommended by the locals and they all sucked!!
imsofull
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/10/16 21:06:35 (permalink)
Being from NJ originally and now living in San Diego, I have to agree that East Coast Pizza is superior. Sandy Eggo has nailed the best of San Diego for Pizza, the one place I would add is Bongiorno's in Solana Beach. The owner is a former Bronx Pizza associate.

Here are two neat tricks for those who bring pizza home from the pizza shop and find that the steam/heat in the box has made the crust soggy.
1. You can throw it on a gas grill for a few minutes and that dries it out and makes the crust nice and crisp.
2. The other technique is to pick up an unglazed terra cotta tile or even the saucer of a planter. Preheat that in the oven at 350 and then throw the slices of pizza on that for 3 or 4 minutes

Good Luck
lisam
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/10/19 20:25:56 (permalink)
I'm originally from Chicago so I know good pizza. San Diego does not have good pizza at all -- it's a joke. From what I understand it's because of the water that we have in San Diego. The crust is just not the same as Chicago pizza which is the best no matter where you have it!
Kodachrome
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/10/21 13:21:08 (permalink)
Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ serves up what may be the best pizza in the country.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/10/21 16:13:50 (permalink)
Had a decent slice in SF at Blondie's, righ by the end of the Market St cable car stop. By no means was it NY style pizza, buty it wasn't bad. Very doughy, chewy. tried another pizza joint at the Wharf--ICKKKK! Bad choice!
acefood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/10/25 15:58:24 (permalink)
It's simple: do a map. From New Haven to LaLa land, pizza quality wanes; on the return trip, you can say the same for Mexcian food. I have never, ever had even a palatable Mexican meal in New England or NY, compared to what I had in El Lay.

Brickbats and treacle welcome.

Ace
markolenski
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/10/25 16:14:13 (permalink)
1)The water East coast water has less disolved calcium in it.
2)Sysco Foods even the small pizza parlors are buying the same junk. Hormel presliced pepperonni, canned sauce and part skim plastic cheese.
jbryan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/11/12 19:16:51 (permalink)
I've heard that the water is different out west, too hard or too soft, and that makes all of the difference in the crust.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2005/11/13 05:25:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pizzafiend

There is a posting from Jessicazee about a pizza joint in southeast wisconsin and the reason why its so good is the water used is Lake Michigan tap water the best for making pizza.People im telling you a simple fact thats why i say use the next best thing Ice mountain water it's pumped right out of lake Michigan and bottles in eastern Wisconsin.The manufacturing center is right on the coast of lake michigan in wisconsin you can look it up on there website.

Ice Mountain bottled water around West Michigan is pumped out of the ground in Mecosta, MI. Who ever figured tapping a well and getting rich is a genius... (Though it's obvious they dont care about the local enviromental impact)..

tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2007/03/02 11:22:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by imsofull

Being from NJ originally and now living in San Diego, I have to agree that East Coast Pizza is superior. Sandy Eggo has nailed the best of San Diego for Pizza, the one place I would add is Bongiorno's in Solana Beach. The owner is a former Bronx Pizza associate.

Here are two neat tricks for those who bring pizza home from the pizza shop and find that the steam/heat in the box has made the crust soggy.
1. You can throw it on a gas grill for a few minutes and that dries it out and makes the crust nice and crisp.
2. The other technique is to pick up an unglazed terra cotta tile or even the saucer of a planter. Preheat that in the oven at 350 and then throw the slices of pizza on that for 3 or 4 minutes

Good Luck

I was at Bongiorno's as well, not too long ago, and I would say it's the best I've had west of Pennsylvania. I put the name into the "search" and sure enough, it came up, hence, the revival of this thread.
tmizerek
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2007/03/02 11:35:56 (permalink)
Besides Bronx Pizza in SD, Oceanside and Carlsbad have Knockout Pizza and San Clemente has LaRocco's Pizza.

All as good as Bronx Pizza, SD.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2007/03/05 21:27:25 (permalink)
My family and I had great pizza at Napoli's in Vacaville about 15 min from the Napa Valley,just as good as anything on the East coast.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2296
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2007/03/05 22:16:28 (permalink)
Pizza Port in Solona Beach makes a good effort on their pizza, and an exceptional effort on their pub brews, especially if you like Belgian-style beers.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2007/03/05 22:52:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy
Not to get off on a rant here, but I'm sorely tempted to believe that the vast majority of ingredients in pizza parlors has gotten markedly blander over the last 30 years in a shameless attempt to pander to the youngest elements of the family.

Dearfolk,
This makes sense to me. I've been in pizza parlors that advertise that they are "family" oriented and noted a distinct mediocrity, especially in the chain joints... I went to Chuck E. Cheese's once, only because I was utterly dragged there; same for some Pizza-Time Theatre place, the name and specifics of which I have pleasantly forgotten except for Fatz The Gorilla who led the combo. Both were culinary beacons approaching micrometers in height and well under the lightpower of the feeblest geriatric soon-to-be-retired firefly.
Here in Athens there is a local family-oriented pizza place that makes decent pizza in an all-you-can-eat format at quite a reasonable price. There are other locations in Georgia (it's a small area chain, slow to build new stores). In case someone wants to try it, it's Stevi B's Pizza at 196 Alps Road. Especially for the price, I found myself quite satisfied.
My finding is that in a college town of any size there will usually be one pre-eminent pizzeria that doesn't make a business of delivery; that is where I go. Here that head-and-shoulders-above eatery is Little Italy, a busy, noisy place at 125 N. Lumpkin Street downtown. Their slices, calzones, and subs are terrific... fact is, I find myself wanting one (an Italian Special; add sausage and extra garlic) about now, and it's a no-no because for a few weeks I'm on a strict self-imposed diet!
Sweet pizza sauce? Glecch! I'd rather have a combination livermush-and-goat-cheese pizza without sauce (add onions, black olives, some red pepper, and lots of garlic) than to suffer through poor defenseless tomatoes that have been processed and pulverised to near-irrecognizability only to be mixed with so much corn sweeter as to resemble nothing whose plant ancestors could ever have possibly graced the sunny shores of Italy.
Gad, I'm waxing eloquent tonight.
Producing Copy (Thus Being In The Produce Business, Like Some Of My Family In Florida!), Ort. Carlton in Sunnywarmer Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? 2007/03/05 23:07:39 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
According to the guys at Little Italy (see above response) here in Athens, Georgia, the major criterion for making good pizza is not the availability of ingredients nor the skills involved (although these both are factors)... it's the water for making the crust.
New Haven water, like New York City water, Philadelphia water, Washington, D. C. water, Atlanta water, and surely like Athens water, is from a soft, granitic source. Limestone water might be usable for pizza dough, but the hands that worked that dough would have to get used to changing some methods to be successful... if knead be.
Athens water comes in at 35 parts of dissolved solids per million; Atlanta is 48. The softest I've ever found from a municipal source is Gainesville, Georgia with 8.3... gad, you'd have to ADD salts to that to brew a righteous Pilsener! If water hardness alone related to pizza dough hardness, Gainesville dough would resemble nothing closer than phyllo dough! Not to be phyllosophical, but somehow I don't think those two wonderful old fellows in San Francisco who fashion the stuff by hand would ever think of making pizza from their creation!
When I ate pizza on my trip to Torrington, Connecticut, I noted the dough similarity to that of Little Italy and guesswork did the rest. Folks, I may be wrong, but I really think it's the water.
Neither Sliced Nor Cutted Tonight, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Crunchy Athens, Georgia.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1