Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change?

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
2005/08/22 16:07:16 (permalink)

Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change?

The Blue Tusk, in Armory aquare was the PERFECt place to get a deli sandwich.

Sure, the Brooklyn Pickle is pretty darn good, and that little grocery store in Lakeland on State Fair Blvd still makes great sandwiches...

But I loved the Blue Tusk.
Real deli meat, great deli bread, and real deli sides like mac-n-cheese, potato salad, macaroni salad, great soups and a couple specialty sandwiches.

Now, the menu is ALL "gourmet" sandwiches on foccacia and other fancy breads. Gone is mac-n-cheese and some other deli sides. The soups aren't as good as before and you can't get some of their great little sandwiches like egg and olive.

Oh, sure, my gourmet specialty sandwich tasted great, but I miss the old menu. Sorry, I miss when the Blue Tusk was the only real deli in Armory Square. Now, it's just another lunch joint.

Of course, it's a lunch joint that still serves 75 different beers on tap plus a long list of other beers in the bottle, plus full liquor and a very good wine selection.

It has the best NY state represented microbrew selection I've ever seen and a very knowledgable staff about all the beers on tap.
It's still unique, and still deserves a visit and nod from roadfood.com, but I miss the old deli.

8 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/23 15:01:28 (permalink)
    In case nobody knows, the above is in reference to a pub/restaurant in the Armory Squre neighborhood of Syracuse, New York...

This is a national / international website, dude, a little more info helps people, and only those of us in Syracuse might have an idea of what you are talking about.

As for myself, I haven't been in the Blue Tusk in a couple years. I did have a good sandwich, and draft heffe weiss beer though...
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/23 15:43:23 (permalink)
    I'm not in Syracuse. But travel there often to see family.
    See profile, dude.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15210
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/23 15:50:14 (permalink)

Score reader,
    The point Cosmos is making happens a lot on this board. How am I,in Louisvlle,KY supposed to know WHERE Armory Square is located if you don't identify it with a label that is understandable to those not familiar with the Syracuse area.
    The fact that you are not located in Syracuse has nothing to do with the location of the business...I think??
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/23 16:56:29 (permalink)
    Do you have any idea how many "Armory Squares" they just may nbe in the USof A
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/24 13:28:51 (permalink)
    What ever.

is there a "blue tusk" in every Armory Square -or rather, is there a Blue Tusk named restaurant anywhere else?

The point, which had nothing to do with location, really was that a fine sandwich shop that used to be a real deli, has gone "gourmet" and I didn't think it was a good change.

Who cares what city it's in? Did you plan to visit it?
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/24 15:02:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

What ever.

is there a "blue tusk" in every Armory Square -or rather, is there a Blue Tusk named restaurant anywhere else?

The point, which had nothing to do with location, really was that a fine sandwich shop that used to be a real deli, has gone "gourmet" and I didn't think it was a good change.

Who cares what city it's in? Did you plan to visit it?

Well, judging from your review, probably not! It just makes sense to identify the city in which your subject is located, whether your review is good, bad, or indifferent. If I posted "Sam's Pizza on 12th St. has really gone downhill" or, conversely, "Sam's Pizza on 12th St. RULES!!!", neither would do anyone much good without noting the town or city.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/24 16:19:36 (permalink)
    When I actually recommend a restaurant, I'll be sure to give state, city, and street address.

And since, in the end, the sandwich was good, and the beer and wine selection is fantastic here's the scoop:

Blue Tusk
    165 Walton Street
    Syracuse, NY

bluetusk.com

But if you want roast beef,
    I suggest you go to Clark's Ale House
    located at 122 W. Jefferson Street in Syracuse

It's motto: 22 taps ... 1 sandwich
    With additional beers in bottle a perfect roast beef sandwich, you can't go wrong here.
    They also have cheese and onion plates and other assorted savories
    and the horseradish is made fresh.
    New York wines, port and cherry are available by the glass or bottle.
    And there's a new sandwich, the roast turkey, but I haven't tried it.

The best part is Clark's doesn't have a television set.
    Blacksmith's puzzles, board games, newspapers
    and beer publications are the alternative. And a cool ring toss game where you
    swing the ring, which is hanging on a string,
    trying to get it to "hook" the horn.

The Armory district is easy to get to from I-81 and I-690, especially since traffic is not a problem.
    Parking during the day isn't too bad to find and in worse case scenario, there are close lots and garages.

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Why, oh why did Blue Tusk change? 2005/08/27 12:49:15 (permalink)
    Much better, thanks...and while we're on the topic of Syracuse sandwich joints, I had a wonderful cappocollo on light rye with mayo lettuce, and roasted red peppers from the West Genesee Street Pickle last week. Both the Pickles, are great sandwich joints.

You should also try the New York Roast at 1261 Grant Boulevard. Great sandwiches, and dinner entres for take out. Roast beef, and london broil are specialties.

For more creative sandwiches try Boulangerie in the Plum court building, 526 Plum Street in Franklin Square area of Syracuse. One of my favorites there is #5; roast pork with cranberry mayo, apple slices, and swiss on fresh baked french baguette.

Oh and in regards to another thread in the BBQ forum, you can get a corned beef sandwich for $5.40 at the Brooklyn Pickle. It may not be Katz' but its big enough to feed two, for less than half the price.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1