Hot!Why would anybody think that was food?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13475
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/17 09:02:17 (permalink)
I think the main value for Zimmern's show for me personally is education.  I find it very entertaining to see the strange things that people of other cultures consume.  Most of it is unappetizing for my Americanized palate.  Sometimes I find Andrew a bit silly but the contents are very interesting.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/17 09:19:12 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I think the main value for Zimmern's show for me personally is education.  I find it very entertaining to see the strange things that people of other cultures consume.  Most of it is unappetizing for my Americanized palate.  Sometimes I find Andrew a bit silly but the contents are very interesting.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
True, and beyond the food it's fun to learn about other cultures, customs, geography, etc. Bourdain was also good at that, abrasive as he might have been to some.

ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/17 11:06:15 (permalink)
Pancho

I would have a problem with this....http://boingboing.net/200...got-cheese-that-t.html
I wonder if there'll be any at the World Championship this week!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6626
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/17 11:20:57 (permalink)
I saw a show the other day where Zimmeren was eating maggot cheese.  Some of the bugs and live worms he eats kind of creeps me out but I really do like Bizarre Foods America where he is in a city or state that has unusual things.  He did one segment on Pittsburgh that was outstanding.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 864
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/04/19 21:16:52 (permalink)
I just noticed this month-old thread. 

Cracked has some contributions here: http://www.cracked.com/ar...ng-foods-in-world.html

But I note with some surprise that no one has yet mentioned hákarl. 

I quote the process from http://blogs.villagevoice...let_us_now_prai_5.php:

Hakarl begins with the flayed flesh of the Greenland shark, a species with tissue so high in uric acid, that it's considered inedible without long periods of curing. This curing is usually accomplished by burying the shark under a heavy load of pebbles, and letting the dark juices ooze out for six to eight weeks. Traditionally, people urinated on the gravel above the shark after it was buried, which supposedly interacted with the flesh to partially neutralize the ammonia.
After the curing (some might say "rotting"), the shark flesh must be dried on racks in the sun, a process which can take several months. After this period, the larger hunks are cut into small cubes, which are eaten with toothpicks, often with a stiff glass of aquavit.

So, think about the story of the discovery of hákarl. At some point, someone made the discovery that although this shark was inedible when fresh, if you buried it, urinated on it, and dug it up several weeks later, it could be eaten safely. I cannot imagine any version of this story that does not involve desperation and/or alcohol.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6626
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/04/19 21:34:46 (permalink)
I was planning to go to Greenland to eat shark........NOT!  That sounds disgusting!  Right up there with muktuk.......whale blubber with the skin attached.  Nasty!  I also don't want to eat stinky heads or chew on seal skins to make whaling boats. 
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/04/19 21:35:30 (permalink)
Even so, somehow lutefisk will still take the blame.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10080
Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/04/19 22:29:15 (permalink)
Ralph Melton

I just noticed this month-old thread. 

Cracked has some contributions here: http://www.cracked.com/ar...ng-foods-in-world.html

But I note with some surprise that no one has yet mentioned hákarl. 

I quote the process from http://blogs.villagevoice...let_us_now_prai_5.php:

Hakarl begins with the flayed flesh of the Greenland shark, a species with tissue so high in uric acid, that it's considered inedible without long periods of curing. This curing is usually accomplished by burying the shark under a heavy load of pebbles, and letting the dark juices ooze out for six to eight weeks. Traditionally, people urinated on the gravel above the shark after it was buried, which supposedly interacted with the flesh to partially neutralize the ammonia.
After the curing (some might say "rotting"), the shark flesh must be dried on racks in the sun, a process which can take several months. After this period, the larger hunks are cut into small cubes, which are eaten with toothpicks, often with a stiff glass of aquavit.

So, think about the story of the discovery of hákarl. At some point, someone made the discovery that although this shark was inedible when fresh, if you buried it, urinated on it, and dug it up several weeks later, it could be eaten safely. I cannot imagine any version of this story that does not involve desperation and/or alcohol.

Andrew Zimmern - Bizarre Foods - Did an episode on the Shark Thing. Even he couldn't eat it!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1