Hot!Why would anybody think that was food?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1351
2014/03/13 14:37:24 (permalink)

Why would anybody think that was food?

OK, the theme of the topic is: commonly eaten foods for which the preparation ranges from disgusting to dangerous or even life-threatening.

I'm starting off the topic with hominy. Made for thousands of years, it is put together by treating corn with lye, a deadly poison. My guess is that a group of Native Americans were trying some exotic form of torture, and the would-be victim said something on the order of, "Now we can have tortillas! We’ve been waiting for this for hundreds of years!" Or maybe that was what the Conquistadors said.

Bart

37 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 15:42:05 (permalink)
    I predict lutefisk will be the first thought of many...and it also traditionally involves lye.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 17:09:31 (permalink)
    Don't forget that many types of olives, such as Spanish olives, are processed in lye.

Then there is the Japanese sashimi delicacy, fugu (pufferfish in English). If it's not cleaned perfectly by an expert, it's a quick death. They still have several deaths a year in Japan due to less than perfect preparation. The taste is supposedly so wonderful that many are willing to take the chance.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 585
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 17:56:49 (permalink)

Rhubarb. -- The first guy eats the leaves, which are poisonous, and he dies.  The next guy, who is not so sharp, witnesses this and does a double-dog-dare, and then eats the stem.  It tastes so bitter and horrible that he spits it out, but he does not die and does not even get ill at all.  The third guy sees this and thinks, "Hmmmm.  If I add about 50 pounds of sugar to this horrendously nasty tasting stem, it might be edible."  ... And people have been eating rhubarb flavored sugar pie ever since. 

Same thing with cacao / chocolate, but skipping the poisonous leaves step.   

Glenn

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 19:15:47 (permalink)
    Why would anybody think that was food: tripe
    chitterlings
    scalded pork stomach & other yummy stuff (McRib Sandwich)
    most anything Andrew Zimmern eats
    Surströmming
    headcheese (souse)
    insects
    et.al.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 19:47:43 (permalink)
    "Now we can have tortillas! We’ve been waiting for this for hundreds of years!"
    Bart

I just want you to know I got that.

How about kimchee.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4328
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 20:24:13 (permalink)
    I like most Bolivian food. 

And, I adore saltenas and huminta.

But, then there is this.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7392
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 20:36:20 (permalink)
    I've always thought, whatever posessed someone to eat an artichoke?  Those prickly leaves, the "choke" and the bottom, which raw is bitter. 
    post edited by lleechef - 2014/03/13 20:45:17
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 20:39:20 (permalink)
    What brave (or really stupid) soul was the first to look at the inside of a just opened oyster shell and eat what was there?
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1796
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 22:07:22 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

What brave (or really stupid) soul was the first to look at the inside of a just opened oyster shell and eat what was there?

Starving Indians or Starving Pilgrims, I presume.  And some fool found this bottom feeder that eats all kinds of muck and caught it without being 'stung" and somehow figured out how to cook it and then..since it must have been crap by then....served it to prisoners, over and over again, until they finally rioted in some places. My Gawd!.ike snails and some insects, it even had blue blood! And often reverted to cannibalism or even eating itself after a moulting process.

That disgusting looking and disgusting creature somehow won the hearts and gullets of "swells" who must have had more $$ than taste or brains and somehow made its way onto fashionable tables..and became so popular.that a restaurant chain was even named after it..........Red Lobster.

Oh.and for the purpose of scientific interest......it is thought that a Lobster gets more "prolific' and sexed as it grows older!.there is hope for us yet!
    post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2014/03/13 22:09:17
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 22:20:19 (permalink)
    Lobsters (large ones) used to wash up on shore along the coast in New England during Colonial days.  Somebody figured there must be something in there because turkeys were scarce........voila.......Thanksgiving!
    Who ate the first sea urchin? 
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 22:53:26 (permalink)
    As I've indicated before, I am willing to at least try many, many 
    foods, there are some which I can define collectively as "You can have mine!. Squid, menudo,.... I've never had them and I don't intend to. They say that menudo is good for hangovers. All I can say is that I'd have to be awfully pie-eyed before you got that down me. I don't care if some foods, are wholesome, I'm not going.  My sister has never trusted hot dogs, I know. And I'm still annoyed that my mother tricked me into eating goat 40 years ago. It was a mystery meat (to me) and she said it was veal which I knew, at 12 years old, was beef. Boy, talk about taking advantage of your child's ignorance!" />
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 22:58:40 (permalink)
    By the way, I do love my mother, RIP. She was usually honest with me, so I was doubly dismayed when I learned the truth, when I was 40! Oh, well, we were at a faculty barbeque and she was probably afraid I would fuss. Mothers...honestly.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/13 23:02:03 (permalink)
    bartl

OK, the theme of the topic is: commonly eaten foods for which the preparation ranges from disgusting to dangerous or even life-threatening.

I'm starting off the topic with hominy. Made for thousands of years, it is put together by treating corn with lye, a deadly poison.   ...
    Bart

For your information, the lye was used to remove the husk of the corn and was then completely washed out of the corn.   The lye was not ingested.  But today's modern commercial produced hominy, the husk is removed with high pressure steam.   ie ... NO LYE ...

While your opening post implied one would be ingesting lye, a poison, is misleading, you failed to note actual foods that do use poisonous ingredients when ingested in large amounts.   ... Cured meats; sausages, and wieners (aka: Hot dogs)   ... Nitrates & Nitrites are poisons in large doses and also used to make rodent poisons.   As noted by other post above, even some foods themselves are deadly poisonous when eaten in large quantities.   Alcohol is another.     .... Cabbage, sprouts, kale; freshly pulled turnips, swedes and their tops; lettuce; other root crops such as beets,and potatoes take up Nitrates & Nitrites from the soil (fertilizer ?) and have been known to contain toxic & lethal levels of NO3.   Think about that the next time you eat a salad or boiled cabbage.        ... I'll eat the hominy. It is safe and no lye whether it is made the traditional way or the mass produced steam method.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1796
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/14 00:16:38 (permalink)
    lleechef

Lobsters (large ones) used to wash up on shore along the coast in New England during Colonial days.  Somebody figured there must be something in there because turkeys were scarce........voila.......Thanksgiving!
    Who ate the first sea urchin? 

Someone starving....and ingenious!..........and kinda stupid since there were alternatives!
    bartl
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 09:50:01 (permalink)
    EdSails Then there is the Japanese sashimi delicacy, fugu (pufferfish in English). If it's not cleaned perfectly by an expert, it's a quick death. They still have several deaths a year in Japan due to less than perfect preparation. The taste is supposedly so wonderful that many are willing to take the chance.

Although virtually all the deaths are by untrained people preparing their own; deaths from licensed chefs are more like one per decade, and there are people (particularly Sumo wrestlers) who eat a LOT of it.

Bart
    bartl
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 09:51:41 (permalink)
    Mosca
    "Now we can have tortillas! We’ve been waiting for this for hundreds of years!"
    Bart

I just want you to know I got that.

I was hoping someone would.

Bart
    bartl
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 09:55:30 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic
    That disgusting looking and disgusting creature somehow won the hearts and gullets of "swells" who must have had more $$ than taste or brains and somehow made its way onto fashionable tables..and became so popular.that a restaurant chain was even named after it..........Red Lobster.

According to a Maine-raised relative, during the Great Depression, people used to take their garbage out at night to hide the fact that they were so poor they had to eat lobster. Not sure how accurate it is.

Bart
    bartl
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 10:04:34 (permalink)
    edwmax For your information, the lye was used to remove the husk of the corn and was then completely washed out of the corn.   The lye was not ingested.

Still, someone had to say, "Let's add this deadly poison to the corn, and then get rid of it, and then we'll eat it!" There are plenty of things which are poisonous when concentrated, but generally not found that way in nature. You would have to eat about 7 tons (I did the math) of the most nitrite-infused (from the soil) cabbage to get a lethal dose.

Bart
    bartl
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 10:13:39 (permalink)
    I note that nobody here had to ask "what's lutefisk", and yes, I did think of it, but it was a discussion of hominy that brought me to start this topic, so I used that first. However, the first food that brought on my reaction was cashews. The shell is toxic. It is surrounded by toxic oil. They are poisonous unless cooked (what is sold as "raw cashews" are actually blanched; real raw cashews will expose you to a potentially lethal dose of cyanide). The cashew "apples", the fruit-like growths over the cashews, are edible (and commonly eaten in India and South America, although they are way to delicate for export), and, for centuries or millennia, the cashews were tossed. Not sure who figured out how to get through the several toxic layers and say, "Hey, these taste pretty good and make a nice sauce thickener!" or why they even tried.

Bart
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 17:53:50 (permalink)
    bartl

edwmax For your information, the lye was used to remove the husk of the corn and was then completely washed out of the corn.   The lye was not ingested.

Still, someone had to say, "Let's add this deadly poison to the corn, and then get rid of it, and then we'll eat it!" There are plenty of things which are poisonous when concentrated, but generally not found that way in nature. You would have to eat about 7 tons (I did the math) of the most nitrite-infused (from the soil) cabbage to get a lethal dose.

Bart

Nope ... not true  ... there are many cases when cattle and livestock died just from eating grass and vegetable roots & top which had toxic levels of NO3.  ... This is also the reason fresh vegetables can not be marketed for minimum period of time after being fertilized or sprayed so the NO2 & NO3 levels to drop down to exceptable levels.

But since you are down on food which lye in it, you do know that most commercially peeled potatoes is done with lye, don't you?   Lye is used to soften the skin so it will rub off in the large tumblers.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10408
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 18:24:37 (permalink)
    Won't eat most things that Andrew Zimmern eats except maybe this-
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Andrew+Zimmern&FORM=VIRE4#view=detail&mid=056F80F25390AEADED50056F80F25390AEADED50
    Did You Know?- Zimmern went to Vassar College, (I thought that was a girls school??) and is also a recovered drug and alcohol addict. 
    The guy has had an "Interesting" life!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/03/15 18:28:14
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 18:54:03 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Won't eat most things that Andrew Zimmern eats except maybe this-
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Andrew+Zimmern&FORM=VIRE4#view=detail&mid=056F80F25390AEADED50056F80F25390AEADED50
    Did You Know?- Zimmern went to Vassar College, (I thought that was a girls school??) and is also a recovered drug and alcohol addict. 
    The guy has had an "Interesting" life!
    Vassar has been co-ed since the late 60's. Coincidentally, Anthony Bourdain also went there but did not graduate.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 19:09:38 (permalink)
    I'm not too keen either on eating stuff that Zimmern eats.  I laughed at one episode where he was in Alaska and the natives dug up some Eskimo stinky heads (salmon heads buried in the ground in early fall and dug up in the spring).  Even he almost got sick.....while the Eskimos were happily chomping away.  BLEEEEECH. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 19:31:55 (permalink)
    But you loved the Muktuk. Right?
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 19:37:14 (permalink)
    lleechef

I'm not too keen either on eating stuff that Zimmern eats.  I laughed at one episode where he was in Alaska and the natives dug up some Eskimo stinky heads (salmon heads buried in the ground in early fall and dug up in the spring).  Even he almost got sick.....while the Eskimos were happily chomping away.  BLEEEEECH. 
    This from a woman who devours thymus glands. Seriously, I saw that episode and agree. How do you feel about tripe, chitterlings and kim chi? I turned down a balut once, but can't think of anything else.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/15 19:47:28 (permalink)
    Pancho

lleechef

This from a woman who devours thymus glands. Seriously, I saw that episode and agree. How do you feel about tripe, chitterlings and kim chi? I turned down a balut once, but can't think of anything else.

You have a problem with thymus glands?  Huh?    I do like tripe, chitterlings and kim chee.  I once tried muktuk which is whale blubber.  I could not swallow it, had to spit it out.  Nasty.  Vile.   
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4328
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/16 08:50:54 (permalink)
    Here a little video on chuno.  The description and 'technique' begin at 4:00.

bartl
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/17 08:46:20 (permalink)
    Of course, unless it is actually dangerous, "disgusting" and "delicious" can be a result of cultural bias. I grew up eating smoked calf's tongue, and price has more to do with my not eating it than taste (although I notice that supermarket delis in my area don't seem to sell it like they did when I was a kid; possibly due to the fact that it costs as much as or more than first cut corned beef or pastrami). Also, as mentioned in another thread a while back, I used to love "kishke", stuffed cow's intestine, even eating the wrapper. Even though it is meticulously thoroughly cleaned out, it has become illegal in pretty much every area I frequent.

Bart
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Why would anybody think that was food? 2014/03/17 08:58:14 (permalink)
    I would have a problem with this....http://boingboing.net/200...got-cheese-that-t.html
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1