Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
2006/05/22 12:06:04 (permalink)

Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8

Papa
I have no qualms with Kitty cats. I do however own lots of birds, bunnies, & dogs. I do not think they will go together very well.

I am also terrified of one of your posts that stated your cats bit off the heads of baby Copperhedz.

I now live in fear for my life.

We now have an authentic CAT thread.

Respectfully,
Copperhedz

33 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 12:55:42 (permalink)
    Why not?

One word- Litterbox - Thats why not.
    Stinky, and kitty litter all over the place.
    Uh, nope. No cats for me.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 13:35:37 (permalink)
    Thanks Copper, I knew that you would have a hard time having a kitty with all your other critters. To bad cause they woud help keep the snakes away. :~(

And Roosy, even though my Kittys go outside now, and have no litterbox, they have come a long way with litter that contains the odor. It's the clumping kind that works great.

Outside is a dangerious place for cats and I am not suggesting that cats be let outside. I live in a rural lakeside place and it is pretty safe for cats, but dangers still exist. Two of my cats were abandonded at some point and the 1st one was an outside cat already. He wouldn't stay in. Then one was found at only 2 weeks old and had to be bottle fed. When she got bigger it was imposible to keep her in and let the other one out. Then, at 7 mos. she became unexpectedly pregnant. Since I don't beleive in cat abortions, we then had 4 kittens. I was worried that she would not know how to be a good mon, but after me cutting the kittens out of their sacks and cutting their cords, she took over from there and was an excellent mom. Now it was imposible to keep the kittens from also going outside. I bought a thing of litter and food, and took two of the kittens to the local flea market, and found the same good home for both. I still miss them tough! And so does my dog. He loves his Kittens and chomps on them like he is trying to catch fleas. They love it and come to him for their chompings.

Kina long but this IS the cat thread right?????
    Joe
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 13:42:51 (permalink)
    We live in the country so a mousebuster is needed. Our buddy L.B. (Little Bastard) is quite the mouser. Every now and then he'll get one of our songbirds but they should'nt have been laughing at him. He's very sensitive that way. The coolest thing about him is he'll bust a gut before using a litter box. I think it dulls his 20 switchblades he carries around. Needs those to see how tender I am on occasion. Every now and again I have to make sure he's got his game on" />!
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 14:09:02 (permalink)

xannie01
    I hope it werent me that hurt yer feelings! Take care!
    Plus, we got a bobcat that regularly prowls our farm. Kewl animal, but I lean to wolf hybrids.

roossy90
    Good point about the litter box. I had one in my BR one time. Woke me up from a dead sleep!

Papa
    Dang Papajoe8, I hate it that I have to worry about them all getting along together. Keeps me awake at night.

Pat T

We live in the country so a mousebuster is needed. Our buddy L.B. (Little Bastard) is quite the mouser. Every now and then he'll get one of our songbirds but they should'nt have been laughing at him. He's very sensitive that way. The coolest thing about him is he'll bust a gut before using a litter box. I think it dulls his 20 switchblades he carries around. Needs those to see how tender I am on occasion. Every now and again I have to make sure he's got his game on

You oughta be ASHAMED!
    Bwa-hahahhahyahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahh

Copper

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 14:13:54 (permalink)
    Xannie, I was typing my post while you were making yours. You sure have never offended me. Please ... stay outa those chat rooms and stay here with us. That said, I remember your saing about that Bobcat/ Siamese cross. I would love to see a picture of that cat! I used to rise Manx cats. Some of them kinda looked like Bobcats. Could it have been a Manx cat that mated w/ the Siamese? And, If something were to happen to me and I could no longer care for my kittys, I am telling my kids to find you here, so tell hubster.

Pat, how do you handle when your mouser bring his catch inside to show it off, as mine sometimes do.

I mentioned this threat at the "where to post thread". Please no one cause this thread to be moved! :~)))
    Joe
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 14:20:19 (permalink)
    Favorite Cat Recipe:

Neck, gizzard, liver and any other "sweet" meats from any packaged fresh fowl, simmered one hour +, meat chopped fine. Served de-greased with the meat peaking up through the soup.

That's Murray the Man-cat's favorite recipe.

Fowl preferences: (1) duck, (2) turkey/cornish hen (tie), (3) chicken.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 14:39:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Favorite Cat Recipe:

Neck, gizzard, liver and any other "sweet" meats from any packaged fresh fowl, simmered one hour +, meat chopped fine. Served de-greased with the meat peaking up through the soup.

That's Murray the Man-cat's favorite recipe.

Fowl preferences: (1) duck, (2) turkey/cornish hen (tie), (3) chicken.

UH, did you mean Favorite CAT ""FOOD""? recipe?
    I thought cat was gonna be the ingredient for a minute there..
    Whew!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 14:49:02 (permalink)
    Wow Ash, my picky cats would like that I bet. I say picky but they eat mostly dry food that is available for them all the time. You must love that Murrey!!! And lol, for a min I thought you were doing something that might cause this thread to be moved to the "recipe" section but.... since this is a recipe for something to feed cats...... I think this thread belongs right here. I must try cooking some of that for my Kittys.

So Copper, you do have a cat???

And, for someone that wants a cat, but lives in a place that would not be safe for it to go outside, that new clumping litter really does work great. Nothing like the old clay type litter. No smell, but you do still have to clean it. Of coarse, you could just train the cat to go in the toilet. Actually, thats real hard to do, I've tried. Years ago, while I still owned my pet store, they tried to sell a device to do that, didn't work for most cats.
    Joe
    Ashphalt
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 15:00:13 (permalink)
    Murray was a street dude that was shopping for a home (had his choice of 3 or 4) in our old neighborhood in Boston. When the weather finally turned too cold and wet for him to make it outside I lured him in with some "Kitty soup," as above. He freaked about getting out for one day, but since then he's been an indoor cat, with a just a few great escapes.

We usually have nothing else planned for the gizzard packet when we roast a bird (the exception being T-day turkey gravy but he still gets the liver) so it doesn't take much to toss the guts in a pot with some water. Especially when the audience is so appreciative.

FYI - he agrees regarding the clumping litter. We actually buy huge bags of a house brand at Pet Supply Depot for a lot less than supermarket prices. With a fussy boy who'd prefer to be outside we go through a lot. Covered litter box helps, too.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 15:11:43 (permalink)

papajoe8

So Copper, you do have a cat???

No sir!

Tried many times but failed.
    However, the neighbor has many katz, but they are mysteriously missing.

Sorry,
    Copper
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 15:26:45 (permalink)
    Oh, now I see, it was a quote from Pat's post, da. I didn't think you could have cats with all those birds. By the way, I have raised all kind's of birds. I mean all kinds, except for the real big ones. I started out as a kid raishing pigions, then chickens, then parakeets, cocatiels, fenches and on and on. Oh, and bunnies, and, shoot, I'd better stop. I also owned 2 pet stores, one in Austin, and then later, one in Dallas.

Whoops, this is supposed to be about cats, srrry!
    Joe
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 16:16:24 (permalink)
    Papajoe we don't have that problem 'cause the stingy Little Bastard won't share. Last time he caught one in the house he opened me up a good one when I took it away. He's old school when it comes to his Happy Mouser Meals. Likes it rare and nothing goes to waste! Can't get him to go to those chain mouse burger joints.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 16:39:23 (permalink)
    LOLOL Pat!! Oh, you tried to take it away? T Mine like to show em off but, don't try taking away the prize! My sweety is deathly afraid on mice and rats, unlike me. It DOES cause a BIG poblem at my house when they bring one in! I used to like leaving the door cracked, diring nice weather, so my kittys could come in and out but ~~~$^*)(((.

Oh, I just met my brand new neighbors. My first question was "do you like cats". They said "we don't have any pets", I said we keep the cats because the keep away the copperheads, and proceded to tell them about the 3 they killed this year. Then they said they used to have a neighbor who had a cat, and they used to let it in their house and feed it snacks. Hey, things are headed in the right direction but....... I got the feeling the realtor failed to mention that this is copperhead country!!!

And, they did like my dog right away, so things are off to a great start!
    Joe
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 17:26:55 (permalink)
    That may be verrrry smart Xannie! But, about Copper, she has to many birds to have cats, so I trust her. Did you see all the bird pics at that "bird" thread? If she didn't have birds and bunnies I think she would have cats. And, have you told Hubbster he is in my will? Oh, but what about my dog. He looks kinda like a black and tan Collie, REAL smart, and he loves the kittys, and all kids. He is also a great judge of character. If he dosen't like someone, beware!

Oh, about my new neighbors, if they didn't like cats they wouldn't have let their neighbors cat in for snacks..... I hope!!! They are just going to be here part time and will keep their house in the city for now.

I'm supposed to be playing poker now but, it just dosen't sound like fun. This is!!!!
    Joe
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6652
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 17:44:43 (permalink)
    I am unfortunately the owner of a 19-year old Maine coon-type cat. Had cats all my life. Cats are cool. (Dogs are too but I was allergic to them as a kid) I've been changing litter boxes for 30 years, hasn't killed me yet. While dogs love you unconditionally, cats love you on their terms. You have to learn the language of "Meow". Mine greets me in the morning with this "cooing" sound, like a bird, which means, "What the hell were you doing in that bed all night? I need some attention and some FUD!"
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 17:49:16 (permalink)

NO OFFENSE TAKEN, XANNIE01!

Papajoe8
    Time to get the hands offen the Dougan and on the poker game, my man!!!!!!

tee hee.
    What are the stakes?
    Best Wishes!

Copper
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 17:51:05 (permalink)
    I can't have a cat of my own because of allergies, but I confess to treating the neighbor's cat occasionally as well. My old neighbors had a cat named Figaro who liked it when I hung sheets on my clothesline. She'd use them for cover while she stalked the birds. She was far too fat to catch anything, though!
    Ashphalt
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 18:19:10 (permalink)
    Since the thread is "why/why not," here's my take.

I grew up mostly with dogs and one of the nastiest little tabbies ever spawned. Used to kill foxes. Killed skunks without getting sprayed. Ripped up all the big dogs in the neighborhood. Also ripped the bottoms out of every bed in the house. So I always thought of myself as a dog person.

But my Wife had all kinds of animals and had a cat when she moved to the city that she had to give away one time when she moved. She always wanted a cat and I said I'd take one when it came to me. Well, Murray basically knocked on the door and moved in.

Good reasons for cats. If you have a household working outside of the house a cat will get used to being alone for 10+ hours a day. It would be cruel and unsanitary to do that to a dog. They're relatively cheap pets. Ours eats about $4.00 of food and treats a week, tops, and vet care for an indoor cat tends to be much less than for a dog. They love to hunt just about anything, so if your problem is roaches or ants, they'll work on it, not to mention that just having a cat in the house helps keep mousies away. And while they aren't as obviously attached as dogs they can be very dedicated little pals, knowing to poke a chin at you when you're distressed.

Cats can be hysterically funny, for about 20 minutes a day. The rest of the time they're very calming. I've often thought of doing an educational video, "Relaxation Techniques by Murray." "Lie on your back, spread your legs apart. Now hold that for four hours while the breeze blows through your crotch." And a purring kitty in the bed is the best sleep aid I know of.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/22 18:19:53 (permalink)
    My 4 year old Bengal sleeps under the sheets next to me, follows me around the house and watches my every move. She's a great companion (and, when it comes to cats, I strongly recommend your cat be a "she"--lots less trouble than the "he's", even "fixed" ones) and a better bed warmer.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 00:07:01 (permalink)
    Cats are not owned. I remember a joke (I think it was Bill Cosby} abpoyt the difference b etween cats and dogs. Dogs think " I get food from him/her, s(h)e must be God"; cats think" I get foo from him/her, I must be God."
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 02:59:42 (permalink)
    Th MikeS. household currently, 1 LARGE white male, 1 wife Picky Peggy, 1 4 almost 5 year old Ava. 3 cats, 1 LARGE orange neutered male named Munch, my cat who sleeps days with me and nights with PP. Lucky toes who got her name because she got left in the car when the siblings went to the pound. Precious aka Fuzzy because she is a long hair.

2 birds, a Macaw and an African gray parrott. Noisy dirty rotten things.

R.I.P. Jr. so named because he came after Munch and looked just like a smaller version of him. Loved to hunt and bring us his trophies. Died after a tussle with a car.

Tori, our chihuahua of 15 years. Found her as a pup hanging from the ear of a pit bull. Put to sleep after a 3rd stroke.

Lots of wildlife outside, we watched 6 deer graze in our backyard tonight.

MikeS.
    unalaskawoman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 04:00:05 (permalink)

I've read that Hitler hated cats, as did Napoleon.

IMHO, cats rule!

I'll bet my cat's habit will take the (crab) cake for strangeness...when he is very happy (like when we all pile into bed for the night), he will curl around, begin to purr and knead, and suck (very enthusiastically) and chew on his own tail. When we first got him, I worried about it, thinking he had inherited some of my neurotic tendencies (I don't have a tail, but...) but he only does it when he's happy, not due to stress or upset, and he isn't losing his hair or anything.

When we first got him and he displayed this behavior, I actually called the NPR "Calling All Pets" show. At the advice of the animal behaviorist, we gave him toys shaped like his tail (rabbits foot, long toys, etc) but nothing takes the place of his own tail.

He was found, obviously abandoned and ill, when he was very, very small. He had pus coming out of his eyes, ears, etc. I took him to my office, fed him, etc, and left him there overnight. The next day when I went to work, he wouldn't even wake up to eat. We don't have a full-time vet here, so I called the vet from Anchorage who comes out a few times a year, and he prescribed baby antibiotics which I got from the local clinic and fed to him with an eye dropper. Within a day or two he was MUCH better and after a week driving me nuts at work. So, I took him home and we named him Phoenix.

He's a tale-suckin' fool, and I wouldn't want to have him any other way.

All right, I'm a crazy cat lady. What can I say?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 04:52:15 (permalink)
    I like cats. When I rescued my last Doberman, I didn't have a cat. Missy absolutely despised cats, so there was no having one as long as she was alive. I'm afraid the cat wouldn't have survived if I'd decided to bring one home. Missy passed back in March, so this time I'm going to:

1. Have a cat already owning the inside of the house before I bring home the next dog.

2. Make damn sure the rescue agency screens dogs for me who don't have problems with kitties.

Live and learn.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 08:28:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

I like cats. When I rescued my last Doberman, I didn't have a cat. Missy absolutely despised cats, so there was no having one as long as she was alive. I'm afraid the cat wouldn't have survived if I'd decided to bring one home. Missy passed back in March, so this time I'm going to:

1. Have a cat already owning the inside of the house before I bring home the next dog.

2. Make damn sure the rescue agency screens dogs for me who don't have problems with kitties.

Live and learn.

Before I got into birds (they are noisy aren't they, MikeSh, but I have small conures so not so messy and they have their own "solarium" I built for them on the front porch, makes cleaning easier) I had the best luck raising cats and dogs together by having a semi-grown dog (still playful) and a kitten. They got quite attached! When I tried older cat and puppy, the pup invariably got hurt by a crabby arrogant Kitty.

Good Luck!

Copper
    Ashphalt
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 08:47:25 (permalink)
    Unalaskawoman, great story. I'm sure you've heard that suckling is pretty common in cats that get taken from (or lose) their mothers too early.

Murray has sort of the reverse problem to tail sucking. He fights with his tail. Settles down on the sofa with his folks for a nice curl-up and the tail starts moving. He hisses, growls and spits at it. Evenutally he has to wrestle it to the ground and sit on it before he can settle.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 08:56:20 (permalink)
    Our female Siamese mix came from the local humane society. Never declawed as she is an inside/outside cat with her own doggie door, a ferocious hunter she is always bringing us presents. When she is outside not even my wife or I can get close to her, weird.

John
    Ashphalt
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 09:43:16 (permalink)
    John, that's why we had to make Murray stay indoors. Outside he was so full of the demon that he had no fear of traffic, other critters, or anything else. We're lucky that he's not crazy or unhappy inside.

Wondering if your cats have favorite things, other than food?

Murray likes down comforters (we think he chose us because of a double guest bed with a puffy down cover), polar fleece, and flannel (especially his Mom's flannel nightgowns). He doesn't like bought cat toys but he likes to put found things together (say, a piece of string and the ring-seal from a milk jug, or a box and a pen) and fight them to the death. His favorite store is Chicos because they put curly ribbon on the bag.

Murray reminds us when it's time for his Friday night nip. He loves his corrugated cardboard scratching pad. Not only does he get his nip there, and use it to file his weapons, but it's his space. After a good long sleep he has to sit on his scratching pad for a while until his eyes open. It's like his morning coffee.

Most cats I've known like certain places, do yours like any certain things?
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 10:44:41 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    During my divorce, my roomate was a cat guy. The litter box smelt bad and I am allergic to cats.
    I didn't know I was allergic til then as my family always had dogs. But strangely, I liked
    his cat. They are interesting and friendly in a different way.
    For me, cats are "the other." And I need the "other," in some form in my life.
    I only have dogs, but there cats in the neighborhood, most of them wild and living on their own.
    I have trained the dogs not to chase them, and have made a limited friendship with a few.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Why/why not own a cat? Papajoe8 2006/05/23 11:56:24 (permalink)
    This goes to show you got to keep watch on them tails. They're always sneakin' up on ya!
    This is a nice topic. Pretty groovy all the folk that are kind to, and care for little critters! I can't remember any time in my life there was'nt something shedding hair on or around me. I feel bad for you folks who can't be around fur! I can't help feel your missing out on something big. This topic strikes a cord with me. Most likely because of the loss of a good friend named Badger who died in March. 22 years of unbrideled, unjudgemental loyalty from a cat(whoda thunk!). Our cold blooded mouse assasin L.B.(we snatched him away from a crack house) had the benefit of learning the ropes so to speak from the big boy (24lb's in his prime). When his big heart gave out and he left in my arms, would'nt you know who wanted to climb in. I knew dogs grieved at the loss of a companion. Now I know cats do as well. I have a large back yard overlooking a creek where my 'ol buddy is buried. You can catch the newest memeber of the clan catching rays right next to Badger almost any morning. Maybe it's just a great spot for a his little kitty throne, though it's far from the tree line and has no view of the bird feeders. They never cease to amaze me!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1