The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs??

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 5:03 PM (permalink)
I've been wrestling a couple racks of Baby Backs around my kitchen for 20 minutes trying to get the Damn Membranes off with little success. Anyone have any suggestions??

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
    Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 5:27 PM (permalink)
    Start a corner with a sharp knife then grab hold with a piece of paper towel or a dish towel then just pull.  The towel is needed to grasp the slick membrane.  It should come off in a large sheet.  You may need to do it in two or three pieces.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
      Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 5:33 PM (permalink)
      Thanks Foodie Bee U ---many times I thought the same thing, but never remembered to ask,  We don't need no stinking membrane.

Hey dreamer----is that before or after they are cooked ?

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
        Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 6:27 PM (permalink)
        I got this from chewingthefat:

Hold the ends of the ribs together, like a U shape. Insert the knife between the meat and the membrane in the middle of the rack, turn the blade so that the flat end is against the membrane (this separates about an inch of membrane), then pull up. Or down, if you point both ends down. Either way; the membrane pulls right off. I get it a little bit of the way pulled and then remove the knife and use my finger, but whatever, once it gets started it's easy.

edit: do this before they cook, and this almost ALWAYS comes off in one sheet. One out of ten needs a second pull.
        <message edited by Mosca on Sun, 08/8/10 6:30 PM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
          Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 6:29 PM (permalink)
          The membrane's removed before cooking so that it doesn't act as a barrier to seasonings and smoke.

I usually use a table knife and slide it down a bone that's somewhere in the middle of the rack, and then peel the membrane from the center to the ends.

Brad

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
            Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 6:33 PM (permalink)
            Foodbme

I've been wrestling a couple racks of Baby Backs around my kitchen for 20 minutes trying to get the Damn Membranes off with little success. Anyone have any suggestions??

Hire a Mohel  Sorry I couldn't help it.

I just did three racks on Saturday.  I start in the middle with a knife and lift it enough to get my finger underneath, then just slowly work it off.

I also saw someone recommend making diagonal cuts across the silver skin.  It is supposed to basically disappear during cooking.  Never tried it.
            <message edited by joerogo on Sun, 08/8/10 6:38 PM>

Big Frank

• Total Posts: 134
              Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 8:11 PM (permalink)
              I use needle nose pliers to remove the membrane

Foodbme

Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 10:49 PM (permalink)
                Brad_Olson

The membrane's removed before cooking so that it doesn't act as a barrier to seasonings and smoke.

I usually use a table knife and slide it down a bone that's somewhere in the middle of the rack, and then peel the membrane from the center to the ends.

Brad

That makes sense. I've been using a sharp boning knife and it cuts the membrane with no chance of peeling. Next time!

Foodbme

Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 10:50 PM (permalink)
                  Thanks gang. I'll try all your methods! Keep 'em coming!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                    Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Sun, 08/8/10 11:53 PM (permalink)
                    Run the handle of a teaspoon under the membrane along a bone in the center of a rack.  Once it is started, work your fingers under the membrane and towards each end. 

So easy, even a one armed man can do it.  Brad_Olson can attest to the one armed man part of it.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                      Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Mon, 08/9/10 1:23 AM (permalink)
                      The other "secret" regarding membrane removal on a rack of ribs is that a lot of champion pit masters don't think you need to do it.  Those who are against removing the membrane claim it helps retain the natural juices in the slab.

I got no horse in this race and I'm not trying to start a whole thing about removing the membrane, I'm just sayin' there is some disagreement in the rib cook-off community as to the value of the membrane and whether or not to leave it intact.

Buddy.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                        Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Mon, 08/9/10 5:18 AM (permalink)
                          I usually remove the membrane before cooking any rib so as to better help it retain the seasoning and the smoke. Beef ribs are a little harder to pull off but the above techniques will work as well. I use a dull knife to start the process and then use a kitchen towel to pull it off.

JMHO

David O.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6102
                          Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Mon, 08/9/10 3:34 PM (permalink)
                          If you got a neighbor who knows how, invite him over, let him do it, you drink beer!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Mon, 08/16/10 12:18 AM (permalink)
                            99% of the time I leave the membrane on.

Foodbme

Re:Whzat's the secret to taking the Membranes off of Ribs?? Mon, 08/16/10 12:36 AM (permalink)
                              chewingthefat

If you got a neighbor who knows how, invite him over, let him do it, you drink beer!

Sounds like the best idea so far except my neighbor wouldn't know the difference between a spare rib & a spare tire!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com