Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2011/06/10 23:42:19 (permalink)

Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them

A few weeks ago I received a gift of several relishes and Wickles Pickles in the mail that was sent from a Cracker Barrel location in TN by a friend on vacation. The Wickles pickles are addictive! They have a sweet garlicky and hot pepper taste superimposed on a dill pickle chip. The brine in the bottle has strips of a hot red pepper and what appears to be minced garlic floating among the chips. I've read on other websites that that by replacing the brine on dill chips with the leftover Wickles brine you end up with something similar after a while. That would tend to suggest that these started out as dill chips and repacked with sweet/hot brine rather then a hot dill pickle made from scratch like the recipe floating around the net from Emeril.

I'm wondering if anyone has made a supplimetary brine like this or if there are other regional brands that make anything like this.

6 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them 2011/06/11 06:31:54 (permalink)
    I get Wickles at Publix.
    DawnT
    Re:Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them 2011/06/11 10:56:51 (permalink)
    Interesting Don. Which one? The company claims to distribute through Publix and WD. Publix on LeJeune or the one on 27th and Coral Way don't. Their inventory system doesn't show them as available when I brought in the bottle/UPC. I've never gotten either to ever special order something or get a discontinuted product back on the shelf. I was hoping to check out Milam's this weekend.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    Re:Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them 2011/06/11 12:45:03 (permalink)
    Bushie turned me on to Wickles Pickles about eight or nine years ago.  I finally found them at the Lodge Factory outlet in South Pittsburgh, TN

They were tasty and very very spicy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2111
    Re:Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them 2011/06/11 13:03:41 (permalink)
    DawnT

....... I've read on other websites that that by replacing the brine on dill chips with the leftover Wickles brine you end up with something similar after a while. That would tend to suggest that these started out as dill chips and repacked with sweet/hot brine rather then a hot dill pickle made from scratch like the recipe floating around the net from Emeril.

I'm wondering if anyone has made a supplimetary brine like this or if there are other regional brands that make anything like this.

This is easy to do.   ... Actually at the processing plants cucumbers are stored in large vats in saltwater brine. This results in a fermented pickle.   The plant in time, process the cucumber/pickle to cut style & flavor as needed.     ... I saw a documentary a few years ago, where the vendor at the New York Farmers market scoped up brine cucumbers; cut to the customers request and then poured flavor brine over the pickle per request.

So buying large jars of pickle and adding addition spices or replacing the brine with a different one can be done and is done at many 'old style' Delis.
    DawnT
    Re:Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them 2011/06/12 03:48:35 (permalink)
    Found some at the WD behind Sunset and Dixie across from SM hospital Don. Bought all 5 jars.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Wickles Pickles Or Something Like Them 2011/06/12 10:04:19 (permalink)
    DawnT

Interesting Don. Which one? The company claims to distribute through Publix and WD. Publix on LeJeune or the one on 27th and Coral Way don't. Their inventory system doesn't show them as available when I brought in the bottle/UPC. I've never gotten either to ever special order something or get a discontinuted product back on the shelf. I was hoping to check out Milam's this weekend.

I got a jar at the Publix that is on the SE corner of South Dixie Hwy & Eureka Drive within the past month.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1