Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch

Author
mikeam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
2008/09/01 13:58:50 (permalink)

Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch

Happy Labor day to all.

I stopped at my favorite BBQ restaurant, Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC, today for lunch and took a few pictures

I walked around back to check out the wood pile and the BBQ pits.

That certainly wet the appetite.

The brunswick stew was good but I have been spoiled by my mom's and this wasn't in the same league. I got the BBQ tray which is only BBQ and slaw. As usual the BBQ was excellent.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe Labor Day and celebrates with some good eats!

13 Replies Related Threads

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/01 14:12:39 (permalink)
    Sorry to diagree. Absolutely hated their BBQ sauce. Great hush puppies though..Best i've ever had.
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/01 14:19:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

Sorry to diagree. Absolutely hated their BBQ sauce. Great hush puppies though..Best i've ever had.

No problem...to each his own!

I did not even try the sauce. I just put it in the picture.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/03 07:15:14 (permalink)
    quote:

BB, I can understand not liking a vinegar sauce - especially if one was expecting gooey red sauce. But, what about the meat? Although I am partial to Pete Jones' Skylight, Wilber's meat is as good as it gets for Eastern style.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5033
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/03 10:53:27 (permalink)
    Was the smokehouse the original restaurant, with the current restaurant built at a later time?

Brad
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/03 11:08:07 (permalink)
    quote:

In my experience, all Eastern NC BBQ sauce (if it even deserves being called a sauce) is pretty much alike - a combination of vinegar and pepper flakes. The mistake that many make who are not used to NC style BBQ is to apply it liberally, as you would the thick sauce used in other parts of the country. The result is a puckering sourness that will ruin the meal.

A word to the uninitiated - use it sparingly, just as a moistener and you will have a better experience.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/03 11:09:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the photos and report mikeam! I love the first photo, with the American flag, barbecue sign and pig weather vane. That pic just screams Roadfood.

I have been to Wilber's twice. My first experience was awful. But after several others on here raved about the place, I gave it a second chance and had a much better experience. I'm sure that is more the norm than the bad meal I had.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/11 01:08:03 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Interestingly enough, I was under the impression that Wilber's used Scott's BBQ Sauce. Maybe Scott's puts out a slightly changed recipe for Wilber's, or maybe they just relabel it.
    Scott's also has a restaurant on North William Street in Goldsboro that is open from Wednesday to Saturday, or so I am told.
    Thanks for a good report. Y'all making me HONGRY!
    As If On 'Cue, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/12 19:48:34 (permalink)
    douginvirginia - You know I'd driven up from Florida for a funeral in Kinston, NC and I was really tired. I got to Wilbur's at about 7:00 PM and I was so excited think about trying this place all the way up. It is quite a ways east off I-95 for those who are traveling and want to try it.

Maybe I was expecting too much. Wibur's is always mentioned as one of the very best in NC and for that matter, in the country. I really did not like the pork that much either. I thought the pulled pork at Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC was much better. But, the hush puppies, like I said, were terrific. I also expected it to be a real "Q" joint and yet, if you look at the menu, it is not even highlighted. I found that very unusual. I never saw the smokehouse..it was dark, raining and in November.

In Kinston they also have a BBQ place..I think it is called Kings? I never got to try it though. Always wanted to get to Ayden, too. Have you been to these places? Do you still like Wilburs better than those places..If you've been to them?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/12 20:07:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brentk

quote:

In my experience, all Eastern NC BBQ sauce (if it even deserves being called a sauce) is pretty much alike - a combination of vinegar and pepper flakes. The mistake that many make who are not used to NC style BBQ is to apply it liberally, as you would the thick sauce used in other parts of the country. The result is a puckering sourness that will ruin the meal.

A word to the uninitiated - use it sparingly, just as a moistener and you will have a better experience.

I do believe that Wilber's Sauce is re-labelled Scott's.

Scott's Sauce is, as they claim, "the best ye ever tasted". My wife and I order six pint bottles of it a year and use it primarily as a cooking ingredient. It makes a splendid gravy flavoring. We reduce it and finish chopped chicken breast with it. I take a bottle with me when ordering pulled pork at local BBQ places, etc.

www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com

Sorry you don't like it: but, ceteris paribus, that's more for me at a lower price.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/14 09:06:42 (permalink)
    quote:

douginvirginia - You know I'd driven up from Florida for a funeral in Kinston, NC and I was really tired. I got to Wilbur's at about 7:00 PM and I was so excited think about trying this place all the way up. It is quite a ways east off I-95 for those who are traveling and want to try it.

Maybe I was expecting too much. Wibur's is always mentioned as one of the very best in NC and for that matter, in the country. I really did not like the pork that much either. I thought the pulled pork at Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC was much better. But, the hush puppies, like I said, were terrific. I also expected it to be a real "Q" joint and yet, if you look at the menu, it is not even highlighted. I found that very unusual. I never saw the smokehouse..it was dark, raining and in November.

In Kinston they also have a BBQ place..I think it is called Kings? I never got to try it though. Always wanted to get to Ayden, too. Have you been to these places? Do you still like Wilburs better than those places..If you've been to them?

Ben,
    With BBQ being quite popular in most of the country these days, I can understand your being disappointed in Wilber's given that your reference point is not Carolina - and in this case Eastern NC. Not that these are more legitimate, just different. And, as well, all those miles coming up 95!

All said, Wilber's is generally considered a (along with Pete Jones') benchmark for whole hog Eastern NC BBQ. Any eastern sauce, most of which are just vinegar and peppers, is so secondary to the meat that sauce is not normally considered in one's evaluation.

I have not been to Kings, but believe they no longer cook with wood - but I'm not sure of that.

To me, Pete Jones' Skylight Inn in Ayden (about 15 miles north of Kinston) is by far the best Eastern NC has to offer. Here, the hole hog is FINELY CHOPPED, which I prefer, and includes pieces of crispy skin. Some refer to the skin as cracklins' which is not technicaly correct since cracklins are what's left after the lard is rendered in a kettle. These skin bits are unique in my experience, and what puts the Skylight tops on my list. And, you can only get two things at the Skylight - a sandwich, or a tray which is meat srved with a piece of cornbread and some slaw.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/14 12:12:55 (permalink)
    quote:

Please: never judge a "cue" joint by what is available after high lunch!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/15 23:14:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim
    quote:
    Originally posted by brentk
    quote:
    I do believe that Wilber's Sauce is re-labelled Scott's.

Jim,
    If I am not mistaken, it's the other way around. Apparently Scott's makes Wilber's sauce to their own recipe (it's Scott's, but with a tweak here and there).
    We can't find Scott's here in Athens, but a drive to Winder (21 miles) to hit a thrift store or three (I'd be apt to be going there anyhow), with a short jog over by Quality Foods gives me the opportunity to restock, at rock-bottom prices. ("That sauce must be good. We sure sell a lot of it," a Quality employee told me as I wheeled my sauce-laden cart into the checkout.)
    There are also Quality Foods locations in Commerce (right off I-85) and in Royston.... and maybe one or two more.
    Seems like it's to be found more in independent stores than in the big chains. I also turned it up in Sylva, North Carolina a couple of years ago.
    Saucily Sauceringly, Ort. Carlton in Excellent Athens, Georgia.
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wilber's BBQ Labor Day Lunch 2008/09/17 16:13:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brad_Olson

Was the smokehouse the original restaurant, with the current restaurant built at a later time?

Brad

I don't think so. As long as I've been going (30+ years) the restaurant has been in the current building.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1