Wild Boar Trip

Author
Hot Dog Empire
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
2012/06/13 18:24:00 (permalink)

Wild Boar Trip

In Feb 2013 I am taking my son (10yo) Boar Hunting in Missouri. It will be a week trip covering in total about 3k miles. I figured that I may never take a trip like this again, so I might as well make the most of it. I am posting my proposed route and looking for suggestions on the best places to stop and enjoy some of the finest Roadfood available! I will be searching the Roadfood forums, but if you have any "Must Do's" I would appreciate it. I still have several months to finalize my itinerary.
Click here....figuring out how to post pics!

post edited by Hot Dog Empire - 2012/06/13 18:26:07

5 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    Re:Wild Boar Trip 2012/06/13 21:34:35 (permalink)
    FYI, If you take i84 to i81 south to i80 west, I think you will save a big chunk in tolls.
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Wild Boar Trip 2012/06/13 21:54:58 (permalink)
    joerogo

FYI, If you take i84 to i81 south to i80 west, I think you will save a big chunk in tolls.

It was just a quick mapquest search, but I'll make a note of that, thank you!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Wild Boar Trip 2012/06/14 09:17:13 (permalink)
    I have swapped notes with Hot Dog Empire about this trip. He is aware that the Hoffmans and the Mayor and his blushing Bride will be headed to that activity this September, and have promised a detailed review of the arrangements at that time.
    As for the trip, Use whatever route you want to the Cleveland area, then SW on I-71 to Columbus, I-70 west to St Louis and I-44 down to the Camp (near Rolla, MO.)  Lots of good RF stops in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois & St Louis.  If the boy is into airplanes...a stop at the USAF Museum in Dayton is worth a side-trip...it is the best free museum in the country IMHO. Then do the Arch in St Louis, another very good memory for a boy and his dad !
    Mid winter can be a hard time for roadtrips depending on the weather. As a New Englander you are more in tune with this concept, than this former Californian, but be sure to include extended travel times in case of weather issues.  A month later might be a thinkable alternative time.??
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Wild Boar Trip 2012/06/14 16:36:26 (permalink)
    mayor al

I have swapped notes with Hot Dog Empire about this trip. He is aware that the Hoffmans and the Mayor and his blushing Bride will be headed to that activity this September, and have promised a detailed review of the arrangements at that time.
    As for the trip, Use whatever route you want to the Cleveland area, then SW on I-71 to Columbus, I-70 west to St Louis and I-44 down to the Camp (near Rolla, MO.)  Lots of good RF stops in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois & St Louis.  If the boy is into airplanes...a stop at the USAF Museum in Dayton is worth a side-trip...it is the best free museum in the country IMHO. Then do the Arch in St Louis, another very good memory for a boy and his dad !
    Mid winter can be a hard time for roadtrips depending on the weather. As a New Englander you are more in tune with this concept, than this former Californian, but be sure to include extended travel times in case of weather issues.  A month later might be a thinkable alternative time.??

Thanks Al, I didnt want to volunteer the info about you/others going there - I figured that was for you to put out there. I can probably go a month later, it will depend on where im at and what projects are in the hopper. Typically Feb is a dead month for me. I am either getting ready to start a project or have just completed one. I am a construction manager by trade, by choice i'd rather be selling food! This will be the first trip that we will plan together and it will be far enough in advance that I should be able to go in March instead. While the weather is nothing new to me, you make a valid point about it being worse - where im headed.

I've already started shopping online for huge coolers!! I have priced Yeti coolers, but cant justify the $500+ for the once a year trip. Although they ARE rated for dry ice.....  I'll probably just pickup 1-2 of the Igloo coolers at Walmart. I can use those during the year at cookouts and such. Plus its a lot easier to sneak past the wife when she see's the receipt!!

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Wild Boar Trip 2012/06/14 17:47:39 (permalink)
    Mike
     We got 150 qt coolers, Coleman or Igloo at WalMart for $50 each last year. If you are doing a double hunt (one for each of you) two would work fine.
      I was thinking more of the potential for winter weather for your drive out and back, rather than the hunting camp. They are prepped for the weather at the ranch, but the roads to and from could make it a much more difficult trip in February.
    Plus side-trips anf visits to neat places are always better in decent weather.I am sure that many of the memberswill join in list places of interest anf super roadfood too .
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1