Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard

Author
Alexander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
2004/04/02 07:14:49 (permalink)

Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard

Does anyone else eat use the leaves from the wild onions that love to grow in the lawn? I have been using them for years as a rather strong substitute for chives, and have occasionally used the bulbs, which are pretty mild. I'm wondering whether I suffer from depraved appetite or are simply experimentally oriented.

I like them.

10 Replies Related Threads

efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 08:26:58 (permalink)
    I do. I also take advantage of those spring dandelion leaves and fiddleheads, yum.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 09:10:21 (permalink)
    Doesnt everyone Nevewr met a wild onion i didnt like---or a wild vegie of any type for that matter!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 09:16:17 (permalink)
    I love them. I do try to beat the dog to them, though -- not that she actually eats them.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 09:46:27 (permalink)
    McDuff loves to crush the wild onions by rolling around on them over and over. After one of his exercise times he will reek of the onions for some time.
    We have not yet begun to mow this season. But the onions are several inches tall now and will be higher by the time we finally start to run the mower. I love a warm Spring day, with the air full of the smells of fresh cut onions.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 09:49:03 (permalink)
    We read a Euell Gibson book a lot of years ago and followed his advice, picking all sorts of weeds from our local roadsides and lawns. Mysterious ailments, partial derangement (some lingering effects still with us all these years later), and a generalized fear of all that is wild has haunted our lives ever since that awful encounter with Mr Gibson
    and his Satanic verses. I'll take chives, thank you. And, I'll take cultivated dandelions, Thank, you. And I'll take English walnuts and pecans and Mr. Gibson and his followers can pick away among the nuts rejected by the squirrels for minute nuggets of nutmeat, while staining their hands, bloodying their fingers, and slowly starving for want of real food, thank you.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 10:30:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

We read a Euell Gibson book a lot of years ago and followed his advice, picking all sorts of weeds from our local roadsides and lawns. Mysterious ailments, partial derangement (some lingering effects still with us all these years later), and a generalized fear of all that is wild has haunted our lives ever since that awful encounter with Mr Gibson
    and his Satanic verses. I'll take chives, thank you. And, I'll take cultivated dandelions, Thank, you. And I'll take English walnuts and pecans and Mr. Gibson and his followers can pick away among the nuts rejected by the squirrels for minute nuggets of nutmeat, while staining their hands, bloodying their fingers, and slowly starving for want of real food, thank you.

Heavens! I only pick the wild onions out of my backyard (I don't have a dog), and since I don't bother to fertilize or de-weed my lawn (too much trouble, and who cares anyway), I would probably be environmentally safer than most, if I didn't get most of my food from ordinary supermarkets. How does that make me a follower of Euell Gibson (I didn't know he wrote Satanic verses)? I read some of his stuff when it was first published and quickly wrote him off as a nutcase.

I think dandelion greens from any source are nasty. I'll stick to spinach, thank you.

BTW, you're welcome.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 11:25:02 (permalink)
    When my dog rolls in the stuff she reeks, too. And, because she's a Chesapeake, she reeks for a very long time.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 11:44:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

LMAO!

I have a container on my patio where I grew some garlic chives ( you cannot get rid of it once it starts ). I will grab and handful and snip it into dishes that used chives or green onions.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7022
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 12:18:12 (permalink)
    When I lived in France, everyone was into fiddleheads, dandelions, wild onions (ramps), spring mushrooms (morels) and watercress. To this day, two of my favorite salads are watercress and dandelion. Yum. Unfortunately the ground here is covered in that nasty white stuff........they call snow. Ewwwwwww. We're not going to have dandelions until June at this rate.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Wild Onion (Really Wild Garlic) in the yard 2004/04/02 13:10:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star
    [I have a container on my patio where I grew some garlic chives ( you cannot get rid of it once it starts ). I will grab and handful and snip it into dishes that used chives or green onions.

I love my garlic chives. They're essentially care-free. I like sitting in the garden, reading a book, and casually picking some of them to eat as a mini-snack.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1