Wild Willy's Burgers in Watertown MA

Author
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
2004/12/30 17:42:59 (permalink)

Wild Willy's Burgers in Watertown MA

Yes, Maine's best burgers are now available in the greater Boston metro area. I found out about this through a review in Cheap Eats in today's Calendar section of the Globe, and apparently so did everyone else, because the place was packed even at 2 p.m.

The big surprise for me -- and the reason why we went straightaway after reading the review -- is that one of the things on their menu is what they call the Rio Grande Burger, and what we New Mexicans know as a green chile cheeseburger. I'm not going to claim this was the best green chile cheeseburger I've ever had, but it was entirely credible, and it's certainly far better than I had any right to expect in Watertown, Massachusetts. (One of the few flaws in Boston's dining is that it's really hard to get a decent burger in this town.) The chile is proper Hatch chile sludge, piled liberally on top of a medium burger with a slice of melted cheddar. The chile is unfortunately exceedingly mild. While I don't think the local palate could tolerate the average Owl Cafe burger, I think they should at least offer a choice of mild, medium or hot to please us expats without frightening the locals.

Sides were some truly excellent hand-breaded onion rings and a draft root beer that had a strong vanilla note but was otherwise agreeably spicy. My wife got hers as a float, with proper vanilla ice cream from Gifford's. Overall, an entirely satisfactory lunchtime experience. I might explore further in the burger menu next time round, just to see what else is there, but for the most part, I'm just happy that there's a good burger to be found just a single bus route from my house!

Wild Willy's Burger's is at 46 Arsenal Street -- just outside of Watertown Square -- in Watertown. Credit cards accepted.

3 Replies Related Threads

DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Wild Willy's Burgers in Watertown MA 2004/12/30 18:12:26 (permalink)
    Heather and I read this review as well.
    As patrons of the Maine location, I was heartened to see your positive review of the Watertown location, which is not too far from us here in Woburn.
    I will remain interested to see if Mr. Williams continues to succeed with this franchising concept, as the writer stated, it could be our New England version of the In and Out Burger chain.
    Here is a review of his other "concept" restaurant, Henry VIII in Monument Sq.,Portland,ME, which serves nothing but roast beef sandwiches:
    http://www.portlandphoenix.com/food/dining/documents/03358321.asp
    Again, the concept is simple-one item-do it well.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Wild Willy's Burgers in Watertown MA 2004/12/30 18:27:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DaveM

Heather and I read this review as well.
    As patrons of the Maine location, I was heartened to see your positive review of the Watertown location, which is not too far from us here in Woburn.
    I will remain interested to see if Mr. Williams continues to succeed with this franchising concept, as the writer stated, it could be our New England version of the In and Out Burger chain.
    Here is a review of his other "concept" restaurant, Henry VIII in Monument Sq.,Portland,ME, which serves nothing but roast beef sandwiches:
    http://www.portlandphoenix.com/food/dining/documents/03358321.asp
    Again, the concept is simple-one item-do it well.
    So, give us all a green chile breakdown! I used to live in Albuq and Taos, and don't really have a clue except that I love chiles. Give some feedback and recipes on green Chili, or at least something similar to what they serve in Gallup and places north. I've been whipping together some eatable chicken chili using the canned variety. Any thoughts and recipes would be apprecitated. Happy New Year!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Wild Willy's Burgers in Watertown MA 2006/01/10 08:52:53 (permalink)
    Lucky I've been to Wild WillYs in York Me. it is very good not cheap but a good value. Have you tryed Tim's Tavern in the South end right around the corner from Copley Square? Outstanding give it a try. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1