Wildwood, NJ

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
2011/06/13 16:27:17 (permalink)

Wildwood, NJ

Dinner in Wildwood. I have 2 shots for this, a Friday night dinner and a Saturday night.

Not sure what to want. Being NJ, I'd think Italian would be good, but, a beach town, maybe seafood? Hey I'm up for anything, really. Something family friendly (which I'd assume is anywhere in a beach town) and reasonable prices. I can get expensive right here in DC. But, something uniquely Wildwood would be good, if that exists.

We'll be staying in North Wildwood, but we'll have our bikes, and could go anywhere within bike-shot of the boardwalk.

Thanks!

21 Replies Related Threads

Jaybo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/14 07:55:28 (permalink)
    "everyday's a holiday and everynight's a Saturday night"

I'd take one of those two nights, probably Friday, and just eat my way down the boardwalk.  Pizza, maybe the doo-wop diner, fries, etc.   I don't have a specific recommendation for Saturday other than to look around as you drive in, and be sure to make reservations if going to a sit down place.

Have fun, maybe someone else has more specifics
    ChrisOC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1024
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/14 11:00:51 (permalink)
    Try to hit Maui's Dog House while you are there.

http://www.hollyeats.com/MauiDog.htm
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/14 11:59:43 (permalink)
    Food Network segment here:

the owners seem to have a sense of humor:

and a little further down in Cape May here:

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4545
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/14 12:30:02 (permalink)
    Score, In my younger daze, I lived on hot dogs from The Hot Spot on the boardwalk.  Greek owned place.  It's been around 30 years since my last visit but I believe Ellen told me they were still there.

Sorry I can't help you with dinner.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/14 15:46:21 (permalink)
    wow, I feel like I'm in unchartered territory. That can't be - it's New Jersey!! CCinNJ? leethebard? where are my Jersey folks?

warmbeer: the links aren't showing in your post.

So far, hot dog joints and a diner. I was planning to bring hot dogs and hamburgers to make for lunch in the room (we have a kitchenette), but maybe I won't bother and just get 'em there. I do like boardwalk food once in a great while. Maybe Friday we'll do that - skip along the boardwalk sharing bites to eat. Even my 2-1/2 year old would like that. A bite of hot dog, a bite of pizza, a fry or two, and some ice-cream. We never eat like that at home, so that could be fun.

ChrisOC
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/14 17:57:16 (permalink)
    There's always Sharkey's Feeding Frenzy on the Ocean Drive just south of Wildwood (Diamond Beach)

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-29150658R-sharkys_feeding_frenzy-i
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/15 08:52:31 (permalink)
    Yeah, you really haven't gotten much specific help so far.  But I suspect Wildwood just isn't known for much beyond pizza and hot dogs and such.   Here's a thread from 2007 with some helpful links to other sites:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=321163&high=wildwood

You could head down to the Lobster House in Cape May - but I don't get the sense that's what you're looking for.  It is expensive relative to the other suggestions; the food is good but know it for what it is - seafood either breaded-and-fried or buttered-and-broiled, and the place is filled with retirees. (note - I generally see this as a sign of value.)  If going, enjoy the nice drive to it (follow the gull signs), and enjoy a walk along the pier beside the commercial fishing boats.

Otherwise...hot dogs, fudge, pizza - that's Wildwood, right? 

Maybe Groff's?  http://groffsrestaurant.com/groffsmenu.html

post edited by Jaybo - 2011/06/15 09:03:16
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/15 09:06:35 (permalink)
    thanks Jaybo, ChrisOC, et al.

Hmm, well - a beach town is a beach town - hot dogs, fudge and ice-cream! :o)

I'll just have to dig a little more for a spot and do a little trip report back here, I guess!

There's an Irish Pub that on the North end that might yield some good results - and a few Italian places that could be ok, too. There's a few dockside type places on the "lake" side. I'll use yelp reviews to guide me. And hopefully I'll remember my camera so I can get a couple food pics.

We leave Friday early a.m. - should be there before lunch and we're staying through early afternoon on Sun. A little weekend jaunt for some relaxation! We'll definately hit the boardwalk on Friday dinner time to eat down the boardwalk and maybe do some kddie rides with my toddler boy at the amusement park. Saturday, we plan to beach-bum it all day. Weather looks sunny and not too hot, yay! Perfect for sandcastle building, wading, and shell hunting!

WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/15 10:23:35 (permalink)
    Scorereader
    warmbeer: the links aren't showing in your post.

Not sure why some of my links show up and others do not?
    Does RdFd screen references to competitors?
    Try this again:
    Food Network segment here:

the owners seem to have a sense of humor:
    and a little further down in Cape May here:

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/15 14:00:27 (permalink)
    Maui's looks great. Those Salty Balls have been around in Syracuse, NY since the days before the Erie Canal. We call them, salt potatoes. It is a Central NY regional dish, I've NEVER seen outside of that area....'til now. Wow. weird! makes me wonder if "Maui" is from Central NY.

John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/15 14:23:35 (permalink)
    I was to Wildwood this past weekend. I've gone 3 times in the last year but haven't beeen to too many places. The 3 I usually hit are Maui's, Russo's deli for excellent subs (hoagies) and cheesesteaks, and Sam's for pizza. Sam's was also featured on the Food Network.

Maui's has very good dogs. South Jersey for the most part is a hot dog wasteland. Maui's is the big exception. They are secretive about the dogs, but I can tell you that they use Hofmann's German style beef/pork/veal franks from Syracuse and prepare them on a griddle. They have plenty of homemade toppings. I like their thick spicy chili. Similar to the Plainfield area Texas Weiner chilis. Their fries are as good as any I've had and their breaded chicken is excellent. The salty balls are overrated. I can't believe how people rave over them like they are some kind of delicacy. All they are are boiled potatoes with butter. Even I can make these at home and I'm not much of a cook. Last time I burned the salad! Stick with dogs, fries, and chicken.

A Tony Luke's also opened on Jersey Ave. Very good cheesesteaks, but I prefer Russo's.

Maui was a chef in Hawaii but was originally from the Syracuse area.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/15 15:24:05 (permalink)
    I knew it!
    Hofmann Brand - love it!
    Cooked on a griddle? Exactly as they should be done - a la Heid's of Liverpool.
    Salt Potatoes - love it! (I'm from Syracuse, John - so I'm loving it).

I had a feeling from his accent when he was talking that he was from CNY. I'm TOTALLY hitting this place. Yes. Thanks guys!!!! (I guess I'm leaving the Hofmann Franks I bough at Wegmans at home).

post edited by Scorereader - 2011/06/15 15:30:34
    Rookiecook
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/15 18:34:24 (permalink)
    I love the gyros at Harry's Corner, where the Boardwalk shifts a couple feet inward.   Fries are great right across the way, but guard them like a football, else the gulls will rob you blind.

Anybody else miss Ed Zaberer's too?

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/20 10:29:25 (permalink)
    I'll do a trip report when I can get the pics online (although pics come with only one of the restaurants) but three places of note:
    Maui's Dog House - loved the hot dogs.
    Westy's Irish Pub - very good seafood dinners
    Juan Pablos - Mexican, we went for brunch. All food here was fantastic!

We had pizza at two shops. One thing is clear - and I already knew - the average pizza in NJ is better than 95% of pizza in DC.

more in the trip report. once I have time to pull it together. Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/06/23 21:28:23 (permalink)
    Scorereader We had pizza at two shops. One thing is clear - and I already knew - the average pizza in NJ is better than 95% of pizza in DC.

Amen.  Sitting here in my DC area house wearing my Jersey Shore pizza t-shirt...feeling kinda hungry.
    ChrisOC
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/07/11 16:44:58 (permalink)
    Scorereader

I knew it!
    Hofmann Brand - love it!

I had a feeling from his accent when he was talking that he was from CNY. I'm TOTALLY hitting this place. Yes. Thanks guys!!!! (I guess I'm leaving the Hofmann Franks I bough at Wegmans at home).

Scorereader;   I am curious...what did you think of the Salty Balls?

Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/07/12 00:17:44 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

Have I walked into an SNL skit?  ;)
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/07/12 12:40:41 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

Scorereader

I knew it!
    Hofmann Brand - love it!

Well, I grew up with Salt Potatoes (or salty balls as named at Maui's) - so they tasted much like I'm used to. But, I actually thought he could've used a higher salt content in the brine. The outside of the potatoes did not have enough of a salt crust, as they do back in my native Syracuse. But, I think the Syracuse/CNY level of salt in the brine, would be too shocking for first time eaters in NJ. So, I think he cuts the salt down to make it more palatable to Philly/NJ tastes.

The brine, should be quite salty. The history of the salt potato is this. Syracuse, NY - or actually Liverpool, NY was the first "Salt City" in the US. There were salt water pockets underneath Onondaga lake. To get the salt, the water was drawn up, and then cooked in hug pots. When the water boiled out leaving only the salt, the salt was scooped out and new water drawn into the pot. It was hot, sweaty work for the Irish immigrants. The workers would toss their potato lunch into the salty brine to cook it. What came out, once the water dried, was a salt layer on the outside of their potato.

The Erie Canal allowed Syracuse to becomethe Salt City, as Syracuse could export its salt down the Erie canal to NYC, where the salt would be sold to buyers from around the world. At one point, these Salt houses in Syracuse/Liverpool was the major supplier of salt to the United States.

The practice vanished when the salt production died out. It was not the most efficient way to get Salt, coupled with the expensive trip to NYC by canal, other salt processing out-priced the Syracuse salt business.

The only tradition left, was boiling potatoes in salty brine. In the 1900s, a catering business named Hinerwadel's, started including these salt potatoes in their corporate clam bakes they hosted. Instead of a regular potato, they boiled new potatoes (Which are typically between the size of a ping pong ball and a golf ball), and served them with drawn butter (the same butter used with their clam and lobster). By the 40s and certainly the 50s, this item quickly became a CNY picnic and summer favorite.

It's a very CNY regional food item, not really found in Rochester to the West or Albany in the East, Binghamton to the South, nor Watertown to the North.   

So, if you see this item in a businesst, someone associated with that business is either from CNY, or visited CNY, or is otherwise tied to CNY.

post edited by Scorereader - 2011/07/12 12:47:33
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3739
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/07/12 12:52:39 (permalink)
    Everytime my oldest daughter comes for a visit from Syracuse,   she  brings along  a few bags of salt potatoes.    They are already packaged with the proper amount of salt right in the bag.  If I remember correctly, it is a bag of  three pounds of potatoes and a one pound bag of  salt.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/07/12 13:51:14 (permalink)
    It's one pound salt per 4lbs potatoes. The total weight of the bag is 5 lbs. But, more important is the salt to water content, which would allow you to make as many or as few potatoes as you wished, which is 1 cup salt to 6 cups water.

The high salt content makes the boiling point higher, which, due to the starches in the potato, results in a creamy innard coupled with the salt hardened exterior (skin).

If the potato is too large, this creaminess will not exist. A true salt potato, when quartered, could easily mash with a cheap plastic fork - anyone who has been to a fair in CNY can picture this. A Syracuse native quarters the potato, gives a slight push with fork to slightly mash, then pours the drawn butter over top so the butter mixes in with the creamy potato.

Because Maui's brine wasn't as salty, the potato was not as creamy as I would've liked. But, it was fairly close. I had no real complaints, Hofmann Hotdogs - with toppings - which is not easy to find in Syracuse, because it's almost sacreledge to put toppings on a hofmann hot dog in Syracuse, and salt potatoes. Coupled with the beautiful beach, clear water, and fun times on the boardwalk, it was part of a great kick-off to my summer.  I would definately pick Wildwood over OC, MD.

post edited by Scorereader - 2011/07/12 13:59:08
    ChrisOC
    Re:Wildwood, NJ 2011/07/12 21:24:42 (permalink)
    Scorereader:  I have been going to Maui's for several years now, and I do hve to admit that the potatoes were saltier when I first had them.  I guess Maui has given in to the local taste.  I agree with you.  I liked them when you could see the salt crust on them.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1