The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Windows for a Concession Trailer

Cooks on the Loose

• Total Posts: 9
Windows for a Concession Trailer Sat, 10/11/08 11:38 AM (permalink)
I am in the process of building out a concession trailer and have hit a snag. The trailer has two window cutouts and we are required to either screen or glass the openings. I would like to have windows that can be easily switched to screens. However I am having no luck finding any company that makes these window/screen units. I have even contacted concession trailer mfg in hopes of getting them to do a retro-fit - no dice they will only provide replacement or work on their own trailers.

We've looked at a number of windows that are used for home solutions but they are typically too heavy or bulky looking...they look like a house window shoved in a trailer.

Does anyone have a source for this or any creative suggestions for building concession windows?

The openings (there are two one driver's side and one on the back)are 47 3/8" H x 71 3/8"W. Any help or direction is appreciated.

Thanks

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Windows for a Concession Trailer Sat, 10/11/08 12:43 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cooks on the Loose

I am in the process of building out a concession trailer anyone have a source for this or any creative suggestions for building concession windows? Thanks

Two thoughts:

I have a full drive up window system like fast food restaurants use here is a picture of it. I want $750.00 for it. It originally cost well over 2 K. /www.ready-access.com/bo10.asp

Or call Humphrey's and order a flat service window but be prepared for the price sticker shock.
    http://buysellfind.net/siding/humphrey/concession.htm

Jack
    www.DrofBBQ.com
    217-744-9999

SimplicityTrailerWindows

• Total Posts: 7
      Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 2:34 PM (permalink)
      Our company can help you with any custom Concession Window you need. We can even supply a matching Awning Door that will cover your new Concession Window while you are driving.
      Please take a look at our products online at our EBAY store. 

We also have a website with all kinds of the work we do. Please visit simplicityinnovations@yahoo.com We know that with Simplicity Innovations (Cabinets Made Simple) you wont be disappointed. Also we supply all kinds of cabinets, windows, RV doors, RV supplies, Aluminum Shelving, and hardware to meet all of your concession needs.

Give us a call TODAY
      574-870-8058

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
        Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 3:13 PM (permalink)
        I flagged this last post - blatent advertisment.

mikejames533

• Total Posts: 99
          Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 3:54 PM (permalink)
          Several years ago we had a large window put into a Wells Cargo concession trailer. We used a local glass company. Large glass on each side with a window in the middle that raises up to serve. All trimmed with alum just like they use in commercial business buildings. It cost over $1000 back then, would be scared to guess today's costs.
          One cool thing we added was a blower motor mounted under the serving window counter. We had vent holes in the counter and a gentle stream of air would blow up the opened window. Zero flies in the trailer!

agmccall

• Total Posts: 239
            Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 6:04 PM (permalink)
            mikejames533

Several years ago we had a large window put into a Wells Cargo concession trailer. We used a local glass company. Large glass on each side with a window in the middle that raises up to serve. All trimmed with alum just like they use in commercial business buildings. It cost over $1000 back then, would be scared to guess today's costs.
            One cool thing we added was a blower motor mounted under the serving window counter. We had vent holes in the counter and a gentle stream of air would blow up the opened window. Zero flies in the trailer!

could someone tell me why this was flagged as spam?

just wondering

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
              Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 6:52 PM (permalink)

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 8:45 PM (permalink)
                mikejames533

Mike that's called a fly screen or air curtain, but I have a question about it. I have a professionally built unit in my garage, (forgot the brand name) for my step van build that I'm not sure I'm going to install. Here's why. Our health department requires a air curtain if you leave the service window open. But at events they don't care and in fact I have never had a HD inspector at any event say a word about wide open windows. (LOL) So the only time anyone around here complains is if your open at an every day location. I find that very strange. Not one fast food drive up window in our area has a air curtain, that I have noticed, in fact in the spring it's not uncommon to see fast food restaurants back doors going into the kitchen standing wide open??? LOL So ok with all that here is my question, with your air curtain running do you still get air coming into your trailer? I run my exhaust fan all summer and draw in the outside air to keep it cooler inside  and I don't want to lose that air stream. And with your air curtain runing do you get what ever your handing into (money) or outside the trailer (bagged food) blown all over the place?
                Jack

dailygrinders

• Total Posts: 8
                  Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 10:34 PM (permalink)
                  I just bought mine and its came out great. I got it from challenger door. Talk to doug, they are super helpful and the best deal i could find.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/10/11 10:49 PM (permalink)
                    That's funny I was the one that first wrote about challenger door and your correct the prices beat the rest and they do great work. Did you have them ship it or did you go pick it up?

They are in the middle of Amish country in northern Indiana and it seems like it takes forever to get there from Chicago. In fact I drove through a blizzard to pick mine up. LMAO and had to watch for all the horse and buggies in the snow storm. Do you have there number handy if so post it.
                    Jack

dailygrinders

• Total Posts: 8
                      Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Fri, 11/11/11 9:03 PM (permalink)
                      the best way to contact them is actually through email. Doug Zook is the man to talk to. I had mine shipped i couldn't drive that far from tampa. It was $200 or so for shipping but well worth it.
                      <message edited by dailygrinders on Sat, 11/12/11 1:14 AM>

mikejames533

Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Fri, 11/11/11 10:25 PM (permalink)
                        Yes why was my post above marked as spam? I was not selling anything or tell others where to buy!

Dr of BBQ we had no troubles with our hood system while the air curtain was on. We used to do large Midwest and Southern State fairs. My wife and I can only remember one time when money tried to blow away.

It was really just a very gentle stream of air flowing up. The only reason we installed it was because I hate, hate, hate, flies. Thru all our inspections I don't ever remember anyone making a comment that we had to have one. A lot of booths are open air tents, like Lemonade stands.

Cooks on the Loose

• Total Posts: 9
                          Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Sat, 11/12/11 5:24 PM (permalink)
                          Hello everyone,

I just jumped on the site to see what was going on and was surprised to see this post "resurrected" from '08.  We actually ended up not purchasing any windows from anyone but instead custom built our own set up from "J" & "U" channel aluminum and had a local glass cutter fit them with plexi-glass and then a second set with screens and they have worked beautifully and look great and have come in extremely handy in numerous weather conditions. 

We spent maybe $150 on the whole setup and it was done like we wanted.  During our HD inspections (which we've always passed with flying colors) we've always gotten very positive feedback on the trailer from the inspector.  In fact they said it would be an excellent example of "how to do it right".  They were extremely surprised that we built it out ourselves and said that we might want to think about going into the business of building or consulting on mobile trailers.  I still laugh about that since like home remodeling, building a trailer isn't easy on a marriage!

So in the end, it wasn't that hard (the windows) and didn't need to spend big bucks just needed to be creative and look beyond the "quick & expensive" which is how we do just about everything now.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1951
                            Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Sat, 11/12/11 9:29 PM (permalink)
                            mikejames533

Yes why was my post above marked as spam? I was not selling anything or tell others where to buy!

Dr of BBQ we had no troubles with our hood system while the air curtain was on. We used to do large Midwest and Southern State fairs. My wife and I can only remember one time when money tried to blow away.

It was really just a very gentle stream of air flowing up. The only reason we installed it was because I hate, hate, hate, flies. Thru all our inspections I don't ever remember anyone making a comment that we had to have one. A lot of booths are open air tents, like Lemonade stands.

Someone has an itchy trigger finger.

mikejames533

Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Sun, 11/13/11 1:47 AM (permalink)
                              I think your right chef!

Nashopolis

• Total Posts: 5
                                Re:Windows for a Concession Trailer Sat, 03/17/12 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                Hello there I'm new to the forum but working on a build out of a stepvan. I'd love to make my own windows...but looking for some ideas on how to do it. Do you have any pics of your build to help a fellow out? Many thanks!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com