Wine Sales in Grocery Stores

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/12 17:50:48 (permalink)
There was a good article on the cover of the local paper last night, unfortunately they didn't post it on their website so I can't share it. They interviewed a couple of the small shop owners in the Cortland area and they are very worried. The State put out an estimate of  immediate income potential from licensing alone. One shop owner points out, that income will ultimately drop as the weaker stores close...

I think there would be short term gain in jobs as stores build out wine departments. I can't see that much job growth at the local wineries..its not like people will suddenly drink more wine because its in Wegmans or Price Chopper. I'm just not buying the argument that this will boost the state in the long run...just the large corporations (who do a little state boosting in their own right...wink wink..nudge nudge...). This seems like a quick band-aid to the state's current problems, that will have a longer term negative affect on wine store owners and consumers like me.

I am on record as opposing this as I have signed a petition, beyond that and sending a few e-mails,  all I can do is sit back and hope for the best right now. Our Gov is bent on raising state income anyway he can (I'd like to see him focus a little on cutting state waste, but that's another story...) so I'm not optimistic for the status quo..

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/12 18:00:10 (permalink)
seafarer john

The real culprit in New York State is the distributors - they have a stranglehold on every alcoholic product sold in the state. Any winery should be allowed to sell directly to retailers, thus saving us about 25 - 50 % per bottle. 

My favorite blended Scotch, Teachers, is generally unavailable in liquor stores in my area of NY because the distributors have decided not to carry it - and they have total control over what gets onto the shelves of liquor stores.

Cheers, John

Good point John,

The State mandated three tier system keeps prices unnecessarily inflated.  And they can make or break a small wine or spirts company.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/12 18:03:40 (permalink)
Cosmos

There was a good article on the cover of the local paper last night, unfortunately they didn't post it on their website so I can't share it. They interviewed a couple of the small shop owners in the Cortland area and they are very worried. The State put out an estimate of  immediate income potential from licensing alone. One shop owner points out, that income will ultimately drop as the weaker stores close...

I think there would be short term gain in jobs as stores build out wine departments. I can't see that much job growth at the local wineries..its not like people will suddenly drink more wine because its in Wegmans or Price Chopper. I'm just not buying the argument that this will boost the state in the long run...just the large corporations (who do a little state boosting in their own right...wink wink..nudge nudge...). This seems like a quick band-aid to the state's current problems, that will have a longer term negative affect on wine store owners and consumers like me.

I am on record as opposing this as I have signed a petition, beyond that and sending a few e-mails,  all I can do is sit back and hope for the best right now. Our Gov is bent on raising state income anyway he can (I'd like to see him focus a little on cutting state waste, but that's another story...) so I'm not optimistic for the status quo..

I respect your opinion and your activism.  I think a similar bill was voted down in MA. last year. 

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/12 18:33:14 (permalink)
Joe, when you are in my hood...I will take you here...

http://www.sparrowine.com/home.html

My favorite place. A fine example of what really makes NJ fortunate, with the existing system.

You can go there, and strike up any conversation about wines and/or spirits, pairings...etc. and be fascinated, for hours!!! Even when you know plenty, there is always something "new" to discuss....as the subject of fine wine, is always evolving, rather than just existing.

Check out the staff profiles.
Cosmos
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/13 09:40:37 (permalink)
joerogo

seafarer john

The real culprit in New York State is the distributors - they have a stranglehold on every alcoholic product sold in the state. Any winery should be allowed to sell directly to retailers, thus saving us about 25 - 50 % per bottle. 

My favorite blended Scotch, Teachers, is generally unavailable in liquor stores in my area of NY because the distributors have decided not to carry it - and they have total control over what gets onto the shelves of liquor stores.

Cheers, John

Good point John,

The State mandated three tier system keeps prices unnecessarily inflated.  And they can make or break a small wine or spirts company.
In the article I read, the local shop owner felt the big corporations would be able to go around the distributors and buy direct, further disadvantaging the small guys. I'm not sure this is possible unless they are based outside of NY...

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/13 15:29:32 (permalink)
Honeymoon loopholes!

Hopefully not the case. It would be a disaster, for the little guys.

For example, a chain that is not based in NY,( but a state where the purchasing agents & distribution center is located), is allowed to transport & supply NY based selling entities, around and/or through the NY purchasing law (but taxed by NY of course). Meanwhile, back at the ranch (for NY based local business operators) no concessions, to keep up with the Jones'.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 838
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/14 10:50:57 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Are you kidding? We're talking about a place where they can't tell the difference between parsley and eggplant.

Recycling an old punch line, "No one eats parsley."

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/20 20:13:11 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Cosmos
Michael Hoffman
Are you kidding? We're talking about a place where they can't tell the difference between parsley and eggplant.

Dearfolk,
   ...Or distinguish among scrapple, goetta, and/or livermush/liver pudding.
   Oh, Mr. Hoffman... just imagine what would happen if you asked where they keep the parsnips....
      Discriminately Undiscriminating (I'll eat it all!), Ort. Carlton in Omnivorous Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/20 20:17:56 (permalink)
Twinwillow Grocery stores all over California sell beer, wine and spirits. Including corner mom & pop's and convenience stores. And, if there're open, they can sell alcohol, 24/7/365.

Twinwillow,
   My understanding is that California allows sales between 6:00 A. M. and 2:00 A. M. every day of the year, but not 24 hours, unlike Nevada.
   Oddly enough, Georgia allows beer and wine sales 24/6 (except for Sunday), unless local ordinance forbids it. You can buy beer and wine in supermarkets in Atlanta 24/6 and liquor until midnight 6 nights a week... pretty progressive for the Bible Belt, but STILL no Sunday sales (alas).
      Unbluely, Ort. Carlton in Tolerable Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/20 20:25:31 (permalink)
mayor al In my train of thought State Stores would be unconstitutional!

Mr. Mayor,
   I'm inclined to agree with you.
  I'm just grateful to live in a state where we don't have that situation. Y'all correct me, but I think this is the rundown: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Alabama, Ohio, Utah, South and North Dakota, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Iowa have state stores. North Carolina has city and county stores. South Carolina has private stores that are state-regulated, and the state handles distribution. The rest have private stores.
   I was amazed to learn that West Virginia has private stores that are allowed (by local option) to open on Sundays. We can't even buy beer on Sundays in Georgia!
      Optionally Amusedly, Ort. Carlton in Legally-Wet Athens, Georgia.

post edited by Ort. Carlton. - 2009/02/20 20:50:08
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/20 20:34:42 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Cosmos

Why not let brake and muffler shops sell wine?

While I don't know if they still do, I remember gas stations selling liquor and beer in California in the '50s....

Dearfolk,
   The auto parts store in Gibson, Georgia (in Glascock County) sells beer. And fishing supplies. If you want wine, you have to go to the convenience store down the street (they sell beer, too, but have only a small selection).
   In Alabama, there is a beauty shop that also sells beer. It's in a double-wide trailer on a county line (I think it's in Coosa County). Apparently Coosa County allows beer sales in any licensed business in the county that qualifies and asks for one. State law does not disallow it. There is a garage in Weogufka, Alabama with a beer cooler. But I've seen a photo of the beauty-shop-in-a-double-wide-with-a-beer-sign-outside. Gad, I can't help but wonder what those people do with hair....
   Gas stations in Bibb County (Macon) can sell beer. Georgia law allows it, but I've never seen it done anywhere else.
   Gracious, it makes me wonder if there's a funeral home in Coosa County with a beer license... there's a taxidermist....
      Unmorosely Maltosely, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/20 20:46:27 (permalink)
joerogo
seafarer john
... The State mandated three tier system....

Dearfolk,
   Interestingly enough, this system was devised originally in Colonial days as a means of avoiding the English "tied house" system of control... an Independence thing, as it were. -- I think New Jersey did it first, as a matter of fact... in like 1734, maybe earlier.
   While there are a growing number of "free houses" in England now, the tied system still exists and pub licensees are compelled to sell the products of one brewer to the complete exclusion of all others in many cases.
   I'd hate to have to drink in places that only sold Olde English 800 Ice Tall Boys, wouldn't you? Well, without the cursed three-tier system, Sandersville, Georgia would be waist deep in 'em.
      Micro-Thirstily, Ort. Carlton in Well-Serviced (even if by the three tiers) Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/20 20:49:09 (permalink)
kozel

Michael Hoffman

Dearfolk,
   But I LOVE parsley! I could eat an entire bundle of it... seriously.
      Ensaladifically, Ort. Carlton in Leafy Green Athens, Georgia.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/20 20:50:22 (permalink)
kozel

Michael Hoffman

I do.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/02/21 03:35:33 (permalink)
Hello All,
In Harrisonburg, Va., we have been able to get bottles of wine
from the state owned liquor store or anyone able to
get a beer and wine license.  Most of my life only grocery
stores chose to sell bottles of wine and it was up to the buyer which
wine they chose. Forget getting advice on the best wine.
 At restaurants you can buy a bottle and take
what you don't drink home.
In the last 5 years we have had over 5 wine shops and two
vineyards open in the area.  That is where you get good advice
on which wine to choose.  At least 2 wine shops have went out
of business.  Most of the wine shops and the vineyards have weekly free wine-tasting
where they are pushing certain wines and always free with their
knowledge.  With the bad economy, I fear more of the wine shops
will fold.  It is an enjoyable experience to visit them verses the
beer and wine aisle at a grocery store. 
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
post edited by Fieldthistle - 2009/02/21 03:36:56
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/03/05 15:45:38 (permalink)
You've all heard me complain about the unavailability of Teachers Scotch in the Hudson Valley. Well, today Gail was going to Newburgh and I asked her to get me a bottle of Scotch - "I'd like Teachers, I said, but it's never available, so I'll take Ballantines - that's always on the shelf."

Lo and behold, Gail came home a few minutes ago with a bottle of Teachers. But guess what was absent from the shelves? You guessed it, Ballantines!!   

I don't know how or why, but the distributers jerk us around like  puppets on a string...

Cheers, John 
Cosmos
Re:Wine Sales in Grocery Stores 2009/03/29 15:55:32 (permalink)
Status Quo is safe for now in NY, which makes me happy...too bad for Mr. Wegmans...

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=279732
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1