Wine and cheese

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/04/12 15:47:41 (permalink)

Wine and cheese

This post has 2 directions it can go:

Last night I attended a wine and cheese class sponsored by Artisanal Restaurant ("a fromagerie bistro"). Actually it is a higher end place trying to expand artisanal cheese in the US. The class was on French wines and cheese.
They served 8 varieties of cheese plus a chablis, gewurztraminer, cabernet and gamay. Very nice.

1. So my first Q is: What cheese and wine parings do you enjoy?

2. The class held 50 students, $75 for 1 1/2 hr. class. It was an odd collection of people, some my age, some ethnic minorities (which surprised me), some "out-of-it" types, but mostly 20 something Yuppies that seemed way more interetsed in socializing (at $75). It was so annoying, they talked all thru class and I felt like I was at a frat party rather than a real course, even tho the instructor was very knowledgeable. So my second question is, how do you know if something about wine (and cheese) is serious and when its just an excuse to get drunk? (food snob that I can be...)

3 Replies Related Threads

Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Wine and cheese 2008/04/12 16:51:29 (permalink)
    I'm not all that big on wine in recent years, but I would enjoy a solid Port wine paired with Cheshire cheese. Another pairing I would consider would be Stilton paired with a young and robust Burgundy.

The second question is easier. You know you are at a serious event if you have to dress up for it. The clowns seldom attend these events.
    iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Wine and cheese 2008/04/12 18:45:43 (permalink)
    NYNM...I'm no wine connoisseur , but I do like Pinot Grigio paired with Parmigiano-Reggiano...
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Wine and cheese 2008/04/12 21:21:11 (permalink)
    1.iqdiva: I love parmigiano; I've had it with Malbec (recommended by my local wine shop). Next time I'll try the Pinot-Grigio. Italian with Italian.

2. As to Greymo: Being NYYuppies, these kids were dressed up. Dressed to attract each other....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1