Wine flavored candy..

Author
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
2007/01/01 23:27:10 (permalink)

Wine flavored candy..

I've asked this on a few other places before with no leads turned up so far.

There's an Asian type grocery store in North Plainfield, New Jersey on Route 22. At the counter they had these small packs of gummy candy. They weren't shaped like bears. If I remember they were smaller rounded and red.

They were red wine flavored.

Searching for red wine candy/gummies on the internet turns up many searches for things like Maynard's Wine Gum things and those are horrible!

These actually tasted like red wine.

I've bought them from the store a few times, but we no longer live in the area. Went back and couldn't find them. Tried to ask someone, but they don't speak the greatist English.

I'd buy cases of these things if I could! I would even pay extra if I could find them. I'd pay someone a finders fee if they could point me towards scoring some.

13 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/01/02 17:30:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yuppicide

I've asked this on a few other places before with no leads turned up so far.

There's an Asian type grocery store in North Plainfield, New Jersey on Route 22. At the counter they had these small packs of gummy candy. They weren't shaped like bears. If I remember they were smaller rounded and red.

They were red wine flavored.

Searching for red wine candy/gummies on the internet turns up many searches for things like Maynard's Wine Gum things and those are horrible!

These actually tasted like red wine.

I've bought them from the store a few times, but we no longer live in the area. Went back and couldn't find them. Tried to ask someone, but they don't speak the greatist English.

I'd buy cases of these things if I could! I would even pay extra if I could find them. I'd pay someone a finders fee if they could point me towards scoring some.

Don't know about wine candy, but do know about "wine jello", which I've mentioned before. My grandmother used to buy packets in the food department of Macy's Herald Square. This was in the 1950's - I doubt you could get it now. However I did a Google on Wine Jello and got a few interesting responses and recipes. Many were from memories of moms making it at home ("one spoonful of wine for the pot and one spoonful for me.....").

You might want to try a recipe, maybe reduce the water to make it firmer like candy. Let us know!
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/01/16 11:17:42 (permalink)
    Yuppicide....since I saw your post I poked & poked around the net for your wine gummies...never saw anything that was close that wasn't what you didn't want (wine gums). I did come across this link and it's not exactly what your looking for but, from what I was reading it's made out of actual wine and they do look tasty...to bad I don't like the taste of wine lolzzzz Here is the link, wish I could have helped more:
    http://www.cranberrysweets.com/winecandies.html
    John In Seattle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/01/21 21:26:17 (permalink)
    I was at the store called “cost plus” the other day, and saw what may be the candy you are looking for.

Here is a link: http://www.worldmarket.com/lev/4/wtSource/CrossSells/productId/4757/index.pro

It looks like they have stores in New Jersey!

Now, please send my finders fee! J/K
    bcory
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/01/24 07:27:28 (permalink)
    Up in Canada here we had Maynards Wine Gums forever eh

http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/EN/Brands/About/Confectionery/factsheet_maynards.htm
    Ranger Steve
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/02/05 18:54:43 (permalink)
    The next time I'm at the Asian grocery store in Plainfield, I'll look for them. Maybe they were just temporarily out of stock. By the way, that has to be the most interesting store in the U.S. Where else can you find jellyfish salad or pig's uterus? (no, I didn't try either one).
    jillars
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/03/27 03:25:35 (permalink)
    I know of a
    jillars
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/03/27 03:30:26 (permalink)
    Hello! I know of a company that makes AMAZING wine candies in Oregon. I actually brought these with me to Italy as a gift and even the Italian wine lovers were impressed. They're fabulous. Here is their web site:
    http://www.cranberrysweets.com/winecandies.html

I recommend trying all three varieties, as they are actually very different.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/09/06 23:12:31 (permalink)
    Sorry for the late replies. I forgot I posted this here lol! Every few months I find myself back on the internet searching for any sign of them damn wine candies.

jillars: Those wine candies in Oregon look really good. I might try them even though they're not what I am after.

bcory: Have you had Maynard's Wine gums? I think they're horrible. I don't even know why people like them and put up so much fuss on the net about them. Definately don't taste like wine.

If you look at the post by John in Seattle, those aren't the wine candy I had, but I'm going to order some anyway. The ones to the right of the picture, the little red ones anyhow, kind of look like the ones I had.

I think what I need to do is pay that Asian grocery store in North Plainfield a visit and find someone outside who speaks good English and pay them $5 to go in and ask for me lol. Too bad it's been years since I've had them, none of the employees inside are the same probably.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/09/06 23:43:41 (permalink)
    Try Norfolk Manor Wine Gums. Also available are Licorice Allsorts, Jellie Babies, and other iconic British candies.

Available in Stop & Shop and some Shop Rites in NJ.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/09/06 23:46:27 (permalink)
    As Ogden Nash said:

Candy is dandy,
    But liquor is quicker.
    LuckyLabrador
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2007/09/07 17:54:14 (permalink)
    Never had any wine flavored candy, in college had plenty of wine that tasted like candy.

Thunderbird, what's the price? twenty five twice.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2010/12/15 09:13:33 (permalink)
    This is an old post, but I recently FOUND the candy I was looking for!!! Here's a picture:

They also make a bunch of other weird flavors I want to try.. Garlic, Beer Flavored, Cheese Cake, Potato Chip, etc. I'll let you guys explore the rest, just type in "japanese food drops" in the search on this website, but here's a link to the wine ones:
    http://www.jlist.com/product/KAN054

If anyone tries them let me know how you like.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wine flavored candy.. 2010/12/25 12:05:42 (permalink)
    FINALLY (years later) got around to ordering these. I bought 3 of them as gifts (one for ourselves).

I like them a lot. the dark ones (Cabernet Sauvignon I think) is my favorite. If there were cheaper I'd order them more often. I like those Japanese Wine Drops a lot because they're cheap and tasty.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1