Winging It in the Nickel City

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7773
2014/05/14 19:51:50 (permalink)

Winging It in the Nickel City

Monday April 14

There was life after Cincinnati.  At least for me there was. Spending overnight in Pittsburgh, I woke up Monday morning and drove a short distance to the little hamlet of Harmony for a harmonious cuppa coffee at Wunderbar. It was actually a pretty decent cup of coffee and Wunderbar had a very cute atmosphere for a coffee house in in a small town. 
From here I was shufflin' off to Buffalo (notice that was not my thread title.  Arriving at lunch time, I was in a big beef on weck bind.  As many of you know Schwabl's was still closed due to that car hitting the building.  Eckl's doesn't open, for lunch, I didn't care for Steve's Pit and Ox Roast when I visited and I don't like Charlie the Butcher. Research on the internet and discussion with a local (who I will later meet for dinner) led me here....

IMG_4307 by ohso37, on Flickr

The Bar Bill Tavern in East Aurora. 

Known for weck and wings, it appears my woes were over..

Bar Bill has the classic Rust Belt blue collar working man's tavern atmosphere. I ended up ordering a local  golden ale (I don't remember what it was)

IMG_4295 by ohso37, on Flickr

and of course a beef on weck. As it arrived, I realized I completely forgot to specify to order medium rare. In fact in retrospect I'm not even certain if they even gave you that option.

IMG_4296 by ohso37, on Flickr

my sandwich arrived on the traditional kummelweck roll and it was a perfect medium

IMG_4304 by ohso37, on Flickr

As you can see the portions are generous, the beef itself was tender and juicy, interestingly enough instead  arriving "pre-dipped" au jus came on the side to dip at will and glass jars of horseradish were laid out at each table.

Although Schwabl's is still my favorite, this was a very good sandwich and I would return if Schwabl's is still closed (I really, really hope they're back open by now)

After checking into my hotel in downtown Buffalo, I was hoping to take a drive to Niagara Falls for the afternoon, sadly as I left the hotel a steady driven rain had started up. It was a chilly day too with temp's stuck in the 40's. It's so hard to believe it was 80 degrees in Pittsburgh the day before. My plans changed and with umbrella in hand I decided to walk around downtown Buffalo in the rain. I was concerned about my plans this evening to see the triple A Buffalo Bisons. Luckily I didn't purchase tickets but I couldn't believe that this could be my first out of town rain out in over 10 years . Upon returning to the hotel after my walk I checked the Bison's website and confirmed in fact that the game was officially rained out. In the 15 years since I started going religiously to major and minor league ballparks, this was only my third out of town rain out

I eventually drove to my dinner stop, meeting up with Roadfooder Buffalo Tarheel and his lovely wife Barbara

Duffs' Famous Wings in Amherst.

I haven't been to the orginal Duff's in 14 years. So this was a special treat and it was great to see Rob again. The last time we got the together was during the Buffalo bus tour nearly  5 years ago. We had a great conversation, as it turns out, Barbara is a writer and she recently had her book published. Apparently its an exciting mystery which my girlfriend is currently reading.

Be forewarned

IMG_4312 by ohso37, on Flickr

We ordered 30 wings between the 3 of us. I believe we ordered either medium or medium hot..

Which of course come with the required accoutrements

IMG_4311 by ohso37, on Flickr

The wings however were fantastic

IMG_4309 by ohso37, on Flickr

Still my favorite wing joint in Buffalo

After dinner, we said our goodbyes and I parted back to my hotel, pouting about my cancelled ballgame. I spent the rest of the night at the hotel- it was a raw rainy miserable evening..

Tuesday April 15

I woke up early, still raining I was thankful that Spot Coffee was just a short two block walk from  my hotel. I visited their Williamsville location back in 2009 during my last visit for the Buffalo bus tour.

After checking out of my hotel, I dreaded the 3 1/2 hour drive back to Pittsburgh. As I drove, in disbelief, the rain was turning to snow and was actually sticking to the grass. Considering the warm weather the previous days, even though temps were now in the 30's, the snow was not sticking to the road..

I then made it to my last stop

Primanti Bros - the Airport Location in Coraopolis.

I arrived just as they were opening at 11am. I ordered my favorite , the kolbassi and cheese.
I've always had my suspicions about the suburban outlets and wondered if they deliver the same product as the city locations..

This had to be the saddest "put together" Primantis sandwich I've ever had
IMG_4315 by ohso37, on Flickr

The cheese hadn't begun to melt

Cutting the sandwich in half

IMG_4317 by ohso37, on Flickr

led to the most lopsided Primanti's Sandwich I've ever had. It seems half was almost all french fries and the other half was almost all slaw. Adding the obligatory tabasco, it was still a good sandwich....

Heading  back to the Airport, my layover was at Reagan National in DC. I was back home by early evening.

15 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/14 20:12:39 (permalink)
    I still can't get on board with the fries and slaw thing, but the beef on weck and wings look terrific!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/14 20:52:12 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

I still can't get on board with the fries and slaw thing, but the beef on weck and wings look terrific!

I agree with you.  I  went to one of their restaurants last month with a group of young wrestlers.  It was interesting to watch their reactions to their sandwich.  Some kids were thought they were great and other kids were scraping off the fries  and others were scraping off both the fries and the slaw.  I withstood the stares and ordered a plain Kiebasa.  I am sure that they will never allow me in there again!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7845
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/14 21:38:02 (permalink)
    Slaw is great, but I don't get the fries.  Everything looks great.  I always wondered what beef on weck looked like.  Thanks for the picture.

I love wings.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/14 21:44:34 (permalink)
    Dale,  it was good to see you again at Duff's.  Both of us had a great time and vow not to wait another five years before we see you again.  Thanks for the kind words about Barb's book.  I think we ordered the wings medium, which makes them pretty hot on the Duff's scale.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/14 22:51:50 (permalink)
    Those wings look great...they look like they have a healthy dose of butter!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2921
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/14 23:15:35 (permalink)
    Where's the dessert photos?
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2397
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 06:58:39 (permalink)
    Those Buffalo eats are looking great, WJ!  If I may, how much was the BOW?  I had one at Wegman's in Syracuse last weekend for $6.99 with a pickle and some sinus clearing horseradish cream.  Wish I could find wings that look like those in NYC.  Were they crispy on the outside? 
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 11:41:56 (permalink)
    What a great side trip (albeit the crappy weather). Our favorite wings in town were also Duffs - they look as good as I remember! I think we tried three different beef on weck sandwiches the few days we were there - I am still not a convert, although I'd give it another shot. Unfortunately the sandwich we got at Schwabl's as part of the group stop was cooked through - no pink to be seen.  I miss excellent wings - I haven't found anywhere in CT that matches Buffalo (and we've been to Archie Moore's and Bidwell many times) - just not the same.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18387
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 12:02:36 (permalink)
    It's funny about Primanti Brothers sandwiches. They just aren't the same, even if they're made properly, if you don't get them at the original in the Strip District. On our trip last week to Pittsburgh we didn't get to Primanti's so I'm still aching for a pastrami and cheese -- maybe with an egg again.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 12:09:27 (permalink)
    The wings and beef on weck look awesome!  Sorry about the Primanti sandwich.......I will only go to the original one in the Strip.  It has that certain ambiance that just can't be duplicated!
    Greymo
    I just called Primanti's and you are officially banned!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 12:23:22 (permalink)
    Apparently there's a Duff's in Texas now, not too far from Fort Worth. Will have to ask future sister-in-law if she's been.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 14:00:47 (permalink)
    Great area to be roadfoodin through.

I only wish that I didn't get out much.....like you 
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1650
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 16:45:08 (permalink)
    Nice Beef.......sorry about Primanti's.......be thankful that wasn't your first time like some poor folks will do having heard about the 'famous" Primanti's"
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7773
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 17:53:37 (permalink)
    Rob, it was great seeing you and meeting Barbara, hopefully you'll head out to my neck of the woods in the near future.

For those who don't like fries and slaw on their sandwich- that just means more for me!
    I've noticed a decline in quality in the suburban locations of Primantis', I also rememeber not being overly impressed with their sandwiches at PNC Park and previously Three Rivers Stadium but I remember enjoying their sandwiches at the downtown, oakland and southside locations as I did the original location in the strip district.

Chi Town Diner

I guess I could have but then I would have to send you the hospital bill
    Besides, does fresh fruit at the hotel count?

Billyboy

The wings were crispy on the outside yet were far from dry on the inside. The only wings that come close are McGeary's in downtown Albany

TnTinCT

I too was one of the unlucky ones who ended up with well done weck at Schwabl's during the Buffalo bus tour- it wasn't even medium- it was well done. Hope you give them another chance one day because they offer the perfect Weck Sandwich when medium rare

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/05/15 20:23:07
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2921
    Re:Winging It in the Nickel City 2014/05/15 21:17:38 (permalink)
    wanderingjew 

Chi Town Diner

I guess I could have but then I would have to send you the hospital bill
    Besides, does fresh fruit at the hotel count?

Did you really have to ask?  Ok, so it doesn't happen again, NO

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1