Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10259
2011/12/16 03:18:27 (permalink)

Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff

The Gumbo Bowl was held in Tuscaloosa prior to the 1st LSU-BAMA football Game this year. Sandy Herman,
a Prattville, AL native had her gumbo recipe selected out of the thousands of Crimson Tide and Tigers fans who applied to be a part of the Tailgate Cook-off competition outside Bryant–Denny Stadium on that Saturday.
Herman was one of four contestants chosen to represent the Alabama side and face off against four LSU cooks. Her recipe stood out way above the rest. The judges were famed Chef John Folse and former Crimson Tide defensive lineman turned restaurateur Bob Baumhower.
You can bet there will be plenty of Gumbo being cooked in the parking lot of the Superdome on Jan 9th for the BCS Championship Game. It's been projected that a few beers might be consumed at that event as well.

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR GUMBO RECIPE IF YOU THINK IT CAN BEAT THIS ONE!
SHRIMP, OYSTER, CRAB AND CRAWFISH TAIL GUMBO
Sandy Herman, Prattville, Alabama
LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cook-off Grand Champion-2011
SHRIMP STOCK
1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, with heads and tails
1 onion, halved
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
2 lemons halved and squeezed
GUMBO
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of flour
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic gloves, finely chopped
1 bag of frozen okra
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp of thyme
1 tbsp of gumbo file
2 quarts of shrimp stock
1 1/2 pounds of peeled shrimp
1 pint of raw oysters
2 packages (16 ounces each) of frozen crawfish tails
1 pint of crab meat
3 cups of cooked long grain white rice
Chopped green onions and flat leaf parsley for garnish
Crusty French bread
To make shrimp stock:
Peel the shrimp and toss the heads and tails into a large stock pot. Refrigerate the peeled shrimp until ready to put in the gumbo. Add the onion, bay leaves, thyme, cayenne pepper, Old Bay and lemons to the pot. Cover with 2 1/2 quarts of cold water, allow the liquid to slowly come to a
boil then lower the heat. Gentle simmer for 45 minutes uncovered, skimming any foam off that rises to the top. Strain the stock into another pot to remove the chunky solids. At this point you should have about 2 quarts of broth to use in the gumbo. Cool until needed.
To make the gumbo:
You must start with a roux base, so melt the butter over medium low heat in a Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot, and just as the foam subsides, add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk, to prevent lumps. Cook the roux until it is the color of walnuts, and smells equally nutty. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and okra, and season with salt, cayenne and Old Bay. Mix in the tomatoes, bay leaves, and thyme, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring until the vegetables are soft. Pour in the cooled shrimp stock and stir until combined. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the gumbo is dark and thick. Toss in the shrimp, oysters, crab meat and crawfish tail meat. Cook another 15 minutes and taste. If seasoning needs to be adjusted, do so now.
To serve:
Ladle the gumbo into a shallow bowl and pile rice in the center. Sprinkle with gumbo file, green onions and parsley. Enjoy with the French bread and hot sauce at table. 
Courtesy of www.thepostgame.com Yahoo Sports
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/12/16 03:30:40

17 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6827
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 10:50:03 (permalink)
    Well, I'm not posting my gumbo recipe because I'm sure I couldn't come close to Ms. Herman's recipe!  You have to be born with gumbo running through your veins and I was not.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 10:55:26 (permalink)
    I've found that a lot of it has to do with the quality of the ingredients and the willingness to let the roux get a lot darker than I think it shoudl.  the best one i made I almost threw out the roux as I thought I let it go too far but it turned out to be jsut right.  And it took a lot longer than 10 to 15 minutes to get it there.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 15:21:33 (permalink)
    The 3 Rules of a Successful Cajun Marriage:
    "Who's Your Mama, Are You Catholic, and Can You Make a Roux?"
    That's the title of a cookbook by Marcelle Bienvenu. She is a native of St. Martinville, Louisiana. Her weekly column, "Cooking Creole," is published in "The Times Picayune" of New Orleans & syndicated throughout Louisiana.

BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1163
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 16:52:35 (permalink)
    Fbm - Just my opinion, (don't take offense) jumbo shrimp in gumbo, no way - Besides the price, (at $6-7 a pound, and that's the local prices) jumbo shrimp are too hard and rubbery to be used in most dishes, 3-4 lbs. smaller shrimp are much better.  I'm surprised a homeboy like John Folse would have given this dish high enough ratings to win.

The recipe looks good but I'd 86 the frozen crawfish tails, especially the ones from China.  The last time I cooked with them, they smelled so bad after opening the package, it just put me off from using them again.  Of course there's Louisiana's own packaged tails but at $12.00 a bag, that makes for a pricey gumbo.  I would just double up on the shrimp and crab.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 18:00:44 (permalink)
    I've won two trips to New Orleans with my gumbo. 

The recipe listed puts mine to shame! 

(Bay's Seasoning in Gumbo???)
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2397
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 18:08:59 (permalink)
    Mar, I have never had your Gumbo but, I know with all the heart and soul you put into your cooking it must be a winner. I don't think a good quality Gumbo needs all those ingredients.................pnwc
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8364
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 18:46:52 (permalink)
    I agree with PNWCHEF-I learned to make gumbo from CajunKing( he was kind enough to send me his recipe), and while I am sure everyone makes good gumbo in their own right, this recipe is way too complicated, and half the procedures and ingredients seem overboard.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/16 21:24:46 (permalink)
    Thanks!  My gumbo starts with a very dark (think Hershey's chocolate) roux.

I use smoked sausage, chicken and at the last moment... shrimp.

My trick is I use the Wings on Fire for my chicken.  They're like Buffalo Wings so they're prespiced. 

The only problem with using the wings is that it makes it a two day affair... one to simmer and the next to remove all the skin, cartiledge and bones along with the layer of fat that collects at the top.

No okra in mine.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 00:39:52 (permalink)
    I too agree that the recipe is a little over the top as far as ingredients but keep in mind, when gumbo originated, shrimp, crawfish and oysters were pretty cheap ingredients, especially if you lived in the Bayou and just stuck a net out the back door!  Today's prices take a simple dish and put it in a different price range.
    Belle Reve,
    No offense taken. I'm just the messenger! Looks like the main reason for using Jumbo Shrimp is to make the Shrimp stock and you can also use LA frozen crawfish.
    Mar52,
    You could use Tony's Cajun Seasoning instead of Bay Seasoning.
    Everyone,
    That's the Beauty of dishes like Gumbo. Put 100 Gumbo Cooks in a room and you'll get 100 different tasting Bowls of Gumbo.
    So don't be shy, go ahead and post your recipes.
    Here's Mine:
    Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
    SERVES 8 -10
    1 chicken, cut into pieces
    1 lb smoked sausage or Andouille sausage
    1 cup oil
    1 1/2 cups flour
    2 cups chopped onions
    2 cups chopped celery
    1 cup chopped bell pepper
    1/4 cup diced garlic
    3 quarts chicken stock
    24 button mushrooms
    2 cups sliced green onions
    1 bay leaf
    1 sprig thyme
    1 tablespoon chopped basil
    Salt & cracked pepper, to taste
    Tabasco sauce or hot sauce, to taste
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 (1 lb) package frozen cooked shrimp
    4 cups cooked white rice
    DIRECTIONS
    Remove as much fat from the chicken as possible.
    Rolling boil the chicken a couple of hours before beginning the gumbo.
    Remove the Chicken from the pot, remove skin and debone the chicken. Use the meat and the stock in the gumbo.
    Cut smoked sausage or Andouille into half inch slices and set aside.
    MAKE A ROUX
    In a two gallon stock pot, heat oil over medium heat; sprinkle in flour and whisk constantly until a golden brown roux is achieved; DO NOT scorch; if black specks appear, discard it and start again.
    Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic; sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted; add chicken and sausage, blending well into vegetable mixture; sauté approximately fifteen minutes.
    Remove froth from chicken stock and add one ladle at a time to the pot, stirring constantly until all is incorporated.
    Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook approximately one hour, stirring occasionally and skimming any fat or oil that rises to the top of the pot.
    Add mushrooms, green onions, bay leaf, thyme and basil; season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
    Add parsley and shrimp; cook until shrimp is hot.
    Adjust seasonings and serve over hot steamed white rice.
    Pass additional Tabasco at the table, to taste.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 00:52:38 (permalink)
    Mushrooms?  Did you just put that in to see if we're reading it?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 00:59:02 (permalink)
    Like I said, 100 Gumbo Chefs, 100 different Gumbos!
    pnwchef
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 11:31:18 (permalink)
    The other thing I don't agree with the winning recipe is, using Butter for the Roux. My Roux gets hotter than hell, The oil would have a much higher burn point than butter, and the butter will have fats. Because the Roux is so hot I put in the Stock and tomatoes to get my Gumbo base cooked and smooth, I then add the herbs and seasonings, while I'm sauteeing the Trinity in a sautee pan with the garlic. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, no way in Hell am I putting in $32 lb Dungeness Crab chunks, my family likes the Crawdads I buy in a package at Wal-mart, we eat the Crab chunks, as Crab chunks. ...............Things I have learned making a good Roux are, use a thick bottomed pot, if the pot's bottom is to thin, it's to easy to burn the Roux. I also feel if you get a good Roux, nice nutty flavor and the color of a brown beer btl, good Chicken stock, I can add almost anything I want and it will be good. I can do with a lot of the basic ingredients in more Gumbos but, without a first class Roux and stock, I'm lost. The rest of the Gumbo is just balancing the flavors, making sure one spice doesn't over powder. I don't use a Andouille sausage in my Seafood Gumbo but, The Andouille sausage adds a great flavor to a Sausage & Chicken Gumbo...........IMHO, it is possible to get a good quality Gumbo with very few ingredients, it's all about the balance of flavor. I feel a lot of people are intimidated by a large ingredient list in a recipe. Once you have the Roux and stock, it's all down hill from there. I have also lived many many years without having to use or even say the word O_R_.....it will never enter a pot of my Gumbo.....Pnwc

p.s. Mar, I don't want any flack about the tomatoes.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 13:58:42 (permalink)
    Tomatoes?  Not in my gumbo!

(That wasn't flack)
    lazycook
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 14:12:07 (permalink)
    Gumbo mystery!  I despise bell pepper -- for me, it overpowers all other flavors in any dish.  I can pick it out of a salad, but if it has been hanging out too long, I taste nothing else.  So here's the mystery.  I LOVE gumbo.  I've never made it because every single recipe calls for bell pepper.  I've only had it in NOLA, from a divey place to a first class hotel, with seafood, chicken or sausage, and it was all great.  Why can't I taste the hated bell pepper "seasoning" in it.  If someone can solve the mystery, I'm ready to try making it myself.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 15:22:43 (permalink)
    Welcome, Lazycook!

When I do my gumbo, I cook the trinity down into the roux so it becomes one amalgamated substance which is not recognizable as onions, celery and peppers.  They must become a new flavor all their own.
    pnwchef
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 15:51:15 (permalink)
    lazycook

Gumbo mystery!  I despise bell pepper -- for me, it overpowers all other flavors in any dish.  I can pick it out of a salad, but if it has been hanging out too long, I taste nothing else.  So here's the mystery.  I LOVE gumbo.  I've never made it because every single recipe calls for bell pepper.  I've only had it in NOLA, from a divey place to a first class hotel, with seafood, chicken or sausage, and it was all great.  Why can't I taste the hated bell pepper "seasoning" in it.  If someone can solve the mystery, I'm ready to try making it myself.

Leave out the peppers, call it Lazycooks Gumbo, everyone will tell you it's not a real Gumbo without the trinity. Who the heck cares what everyone say's, if you like it, it's good to go. I do some of my Gumbo's without a Trinity, and add a lot of chopped green onions. This is a far cry from authentic, but it dam good............Now get off your lazycook butt and lets make some Gumbo.................have fun.............pnwc..............
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Winning Recipe from the LouisiBama Gumbo Bowl Tailgate Cookoff 2011/12/17 16:07:37 (permalink)
    Lazycook - Welcome!
    I too don't like Green Peppers. However, I've found the longer they cook the milder they become and as Mar said, the flavors meld together and become their own entity. I also only use 1/2 the amount the recipe calls for. Cook it low, slow and long!
    Also, everything PNWCHEF says about making a roux is on the money!
    I've found a pre-made roux that does a good job. i just cook it a little longer to make it darker. Here's the Source:
    http://poches-market.myshopify.com/
    It's not cheap so that's why I usually make my own. But if you add some of their other products to your order, it's worth while.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1