Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos

Author
wingmanBBF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
2010/06/25 13:21:22 (permalink)

Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos

Stopped in Mobile on our way to Big Easy from FL last night for dinner. arrived at 5:30 to an empty parking lot, having passed miles of rubber oil boom driving along the coast...
Every item we ordered was as great as always (sorry...full report later if the board wants) and by the time our food arrived the place was packed.......
But of note was my question to the server...

When I asked how the spill was affecting their Biz she said, 'Oh, we just don't talk about it."
Then she leaned into the table, glanced furtively around, lowered her voice and almost whispered(as though revealing the plans for the A-Bomb),
"The oysters come from somewhere else. They don't tell us, but we think they're from up North.  We just  don't want anybody to know they might be eating Yankee oysters."
We nodded understandably.
I put my finger to my lips to reassure her of our trustworthiness.
As we left, passing multiple tables of New-South, thirty-something law and B. school Vanderbilt and Bama grads in their Ralph Lauren dress shirts and loosened preppy ties, I wondered if her fears were just an unfounded throwback or, if founded, did her charges know that the Yuengling draft they were enjoying was brewed in Pennsylvania?? ...
post edited by wingmanBBF - 2010/06/25 13:29:21

10 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/25 13:59:35 (permalink)
    Your report is very good news, even with the parody of the customers! Thanks for the update. we have very fond memories of a dozen on the half-shell and a 16 oz Yuengling mug coming in rather rapid sequence four or five times, at $5 an order during happy hour! Then we sat down to a fine dinner of Shrimp and Oysters fried "Just Right" !

We are quite seriously praying for a miracle to restore the life to the Gulf Shores to what we loved so much in the past.

BTW- I get the feeling from your description that the patrons of the place would have enjoyed the violin concert by Nero, as Rome Burned.
    post edited by mayor al - 2010/06/25 14:02:15
    wingmanBBF
    Junior Burger
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/25 15:17:39 (permalink)
    ....And unfortunately, the $5 dozen at Happy Hour has been discontinued.....
    Littleman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 590
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/25 16:00:48 (permalink)
    Which Wintzell's did you go to.  There are about 3/4 in Mobile.  One is at Spanish Ft. on I 10.  They have about a dozen around AL I think.
    wingmanBBF
    Junior Burger
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/25 16:22:21 (permalink)
    We were in downtown Mobile on Dauphin St.
    I believe it's the original
    Being a rare visitor to Mobile and AL, I was not aware that there were satellites.
    In fact, the last time I was at Wintzell's was in '90 passing through on a  boat delivery from Michigan to FL down the Tenn-Tombigbee(sp?) waterway.
    Having done a lot of deliveries in the ICW makes it doubly sad to see the marshlands, cradle of all the incredible Gulf seafood, covered with oilboom.

post edited by wingmanBBF - 2010/06/25 16:24:26
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/25 18:21:28 (permalink)
    My connection was also with the downtown "original" location. There have been several posts on various trip reports of folks who were unhappy with the quality of the food and the service at some of the franchise locations.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/25 20:10:58 (permalink)
    Just recently i had oysters in SC. They were "selects" from Oriental NC. Fantastic!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10110
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/25 20:58:18 (permalink)
    wingmanBBF

We were in downtown Mobile on Dauphin St.
    I believe it's the original
    Being a rare visitor to Mobile and AL, I was not aware that there were satellites.
    In fact, the last time I was at Wintzell's was in '90 passing through on a  boat delivery from Michigan to FL down the Tenn-Tombigbee(sp?) waterway.
    Having done a lot of deliveries in the ICW makes it doubly sad to see the marshlands, cradle of all the incredible Gulf seafood, covered with oilboom.

That is the "Original" place.
    By "Up-North she probably means NC or SC. Alabamians can't imagine life exists any further north than NC or TN! 
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/26 04:56:48 (permalink)
    wingmanBBF

........did her charges know that the Yuengling draft they were enjoying was brewed in Pennsylvania?? ...

Yuengling also has a brewery in Tampa, Florida (originally built by Schlitz.) I don't know what products are made in Tampa, however.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2010/06/26 07:53:18
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/26 16:10:19 (permalink)
    David_NYC

wingmanBBF

........did her charges know that the Yuengling draft they were enjoying was brewed in Pennsylvania?? ...

Yuengling also has a brewery in Tampa, Florida (originally built by Schlitz.) I don't know what products are made in Tampa, however.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but years ago we had a friend that worked at the Schlitz brewery in Tampa. They used to give the employees the "short" filled cans to take home. He got a lot of them so I don't know if this was common or that there was something wrong with their filling machinery.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos 2010/06/26 22:45:38 (permalink)
    Wingman, full report with pics please.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1