Wireless Thermometers....what to use?

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
2007/11/01 23:52:50 (permalink)

Wireless Thermometers....what to use?

I've been enjoying my new BBQ grill with rotisserie. I'm a little unsure, however-----how to tell the temp of the meat I have on the rotisserie. Last time I used an instant read thermomenter, but it seems that once you get near the temp you need to keep stopping the meat to insert the thermomenter. What do you use----just timing, some sort of wireless probe or?

17 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/02 09:00:50 (permalink)
    From what I read on the bbq boards, Polder seems to be the most popular. pb

http://www.poldertest.com/
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/02 12:30:55 (permalink)
    Thanks, pb. I am starting to think what I want does not exist. I want a wireless probe that can stay inside the grill as the meat turns. It is starting to look as though all the wireless ones require a transmitter that stays outside of the grill. That won't work on a rotisserie unfortunately.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/02 18:03:00 (permalink)
    Hi Ed,

I would experiment with an infrared thermometer, and a homemade probe with a flat top as an aim point, to get internal temp readings.

http://www.infraredthermometers.org/
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/02 20:34:56 (permalink)
    John, I had looked at those briefly online but didn't think a serious BBQist would use one. I've seen some of your posts and pictures so I will rethink it. It actually looks very good. My only question I suppose I'll have to find out from the mfr.-----since I am using it on a rotisserie with an infrared heating element, will it still work? And if so, do I need the Mastercool 52224 that goes to 932 degrees even though I only want it for meat temps?
    Thanks,
    Ed
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/05 08:27:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

John, I had looked at those briefly online but didn't think a serious BBQist would use one. I've seen some of your posts and pictures so I will rethink it. It actually looks very good. My only question I suppose I'll have to find out from the mfr.-----since I am using it on a rotisserie with an infrared heating element, will it still work? And if so, do I need the Mastercool 52224 that goes to 932 degrees even though I only want it for meat temps?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Ed, Sorry if I led you to think I have one, I do not. It's the only way I can think of to measure internal temp on a moving target. You're literally going to have to hit the nail on the head.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/05 08:36:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Originally posted by EdSails

Thanks,
    Ed

Ed, Sorry if I led you to think I have one, I do not. It's the only way I can think of to measure internal temp on a moving target. You're literally going to have to hit the nail on the head.
    BTW, a lot of folks say that to be a serious BBQist you have to have a stick burner, not an electric smoker, gas grill, and a pellet pooper. But I've never had anyone complain about my Q.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2119
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/05 08:55:24 (permalink)
    John & Ed;

I don't think infrared thermometer would work very well in this instance. The target would heat up from the fire or heating element if left in the meat while cooking.

The only way the infrared thermometer would work is to insert the target and take the reading then remove it, but this was Ed's problem to start with.

Just my 2 cents worth or maybe change is due me.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/06 10:52:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by edwmax

John & Ed;

I don't think infrared thermometer would work very well in this instance. The target would heat up from the fire or heating element if left in the meat while cooking.

The only way the infrared thermometer would work is to insert the target and take the reading then remove it, but this was Ed's problem to start with.

Just my 2 cents worth or maybe change is due me.

You're right. I have not used a rotisserie for quite some time. When I did I would get close then stop it momentarily and use a Thermopen to get an instant reading. Do not know of any other way. Sorry Ed.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/06 11:10:03 (permalink)
    They sell thermometers that pop out when the desired temperature is reached. Get a stash of these.
    tmizerek
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/06 11:24:56 (permalink)
    Try these pop ups.
    Guess you have to call them to order.
    http://www.mrtenderizer.com/imdunn.htm
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/07 07:24:17 (permalink)
    Are those things accurate, if so it's a great idea?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/07 12:33:40 (permalink)
    I've never heard anything good about them. I get the idea using my instant-read thermometer and then estimating time after that is the only way to go in order to keep down the amount of times I puncture the meat.
    amini1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/10 08:35:00 (permalink)
    The only way to find out the internal temperature of the meat will be to stick something inside it. The wireless thermometers that exist all have a cord that goes to a transceiver that sits outside your grill. The best thing to do is buy a[URL='http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html']thermapen[/URL] as John mentioned. This is a true instant read thermometer. Most "instant read" thermometers actually take up to one minute to get an accurate reading. Once you know the internal temperature try to figure out how much longer it will take to get to the target temp and check it once again at that point. If you can figure out how to rig a wired one, just buy a Polder.
    Mike K
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/10 09:21:46 (permalink)
    I have two of the wireless thermometers, one for at home and one for in our RV. I don't recall the brands and am too lazy to go look, but one was from Radio Shack and one from Camping World. Both work great. Before using them, I always caught heck because my wife's steaks always ended up well done like mine rather than rare as she likes them. I use a mesquite smoker quite a bit which is up a flight of stairs and on the other side of the car port, so it's nice to not have to keep running in and out of the house to check on the meat. If you get a wireless, look for one with a readout on the transmitter as well as on the receiver.
    Bub-Ba-Q
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/22 07:50:59 (permalink)
    Maverick brand is the one to use. They have a nice selection of equipment and very reliable. A thermapen is also a must have.

Bubba
    Team Bub-Ba-Q and restaurant
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/11/27 12:40:38 (permalink)
    Check out www.omega.com

You will find all sorts of data capturing devices.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Wireless Thermometers....what to use? 2007/12/12 11:07:22 (permalink)
    America's Test Kitchen chose the Taylor.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1