Wisconsin Supper Clubs

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/02 19:55:22 (permalink)
Chicaogstyledog..you are a talented writer and I very much appreciate your postings...very funny. Great licence plate!

Cannot believe how great the fish is around here (fresh water). In LA, we certainly had some amazing SEAfood (the calamari, salmon, Albacore in CA in unbeatable)...but, OH....MY.. GOD...I have never tasted anything as sublime as midwest lake perch and walleye. Soooo clean...soooo fresh! Fried or sauteed in butter..cannot get enough...

We adore the perch at Phil Shmidts in Hammond, IN, as well as at Half Shell in Chicago...but guessing these are mere shadows of what must be available in WI.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/02 20:01:11 (permalink)
I have to tell you folks, where I come from a supper club is a night club -- booze, dancing, fancy women, that sort of thing. One wouldn't take a chance and actually eat in a supper club.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/02 22:35:28 (permalink)
Yes, there are morons wherever you go. Sorry we hijacked your thread.

Not sure if you heard about this but someone in IL, a reporter I think is suing the highway patrol here, claiming if you have IL plates on your car, the fine will be higher & they will make more of an effort to pull you over.

CSD, do you think Cortese's or Ray Radigan's would qualify for a supper club?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3308
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/02 23:52:48 (permalink)
Ray Radigans was a popular supper club 25 years ago, but not any more, unless you're over 80 years old and have no sense of taste. Not recommended. Cortese's isn't a supper club. I ate there once in the summer of 2003. Mangia's on Sheridan Road is my favorite restaurant in Kenosha.
cheesehead
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 00:39:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I have to tell you folks, where I come from a supper club is a night club -- booze, dancing, fancy women, that sort of thing. One wouldn't take a chance and actually eat in a supper club.

Michael, You forget, we Wisconsinites EAT. Booze, dancing, fancy women, we have all that, PLUS we get to eat relatively good food. As posted earlier, not quite gourmet, but relatively good to excellent.
cheesehead
Junior Burger
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 00:46:29 (permalink)
While we were discussing SE Wis., try Randy's in Whitewater, Hwy 59. on the North side of town. Excellent steak and Fri. Fish.

Also the Club 26, on Hwy 26 (of course), halfway between Milton and Fort Atkinson. Good steaks and fresh fish.

Andoo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 13:45:41 (permalink)
Try Donnys Supper Club, about halfway from Milwaukee to Madison. They have an excellant Sunday Sauerbraten Special. Good Fryday fish fry too, but watch out for the "stuffed prawns" or the "french onion soup". The prawns were a glob of deepfryed goo with a shrimp tail sticking out, and the onion soup was consume and a bowl of croutons to put in it. Come to think of it, why am I telling anyone to go there?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5155
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 13:59:13 (permalink)
Speaking of halfway between Madison and Milwaukee...gone but not forgotten...The Gobbler!

http://gobblermotel.blogspot.com/

I have no idea what its current status is, although the last time I drove by the restaurant was still standing.

Brad
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 18:54:50 (permalink)
Anyone here ever tried that Pine Cone place in Johnson Creek?
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 19:45:41 (permalink)
The thing Wisconsin folks (including State Police) like most about Chicagoans is their $$$$.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 23:05:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stricken_detective

Anyone here ever tried that Pine Cone place in Johnson Creek?

The Pine Cone's food is mediocre at best. Their bakery sells gigantic home made M&M cookies, Rice Krispies treats, and sticky pastries that are Roadfood worthy. Take lots of napkins. Watch for the Wisconsin State Partol on that particular stretch of I94 before and after the rest stations on both sides of the I.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 23:21:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

The thing Wisconsin folks (including State Police) like most about Chicagoans is their $$$$.

Your dollar buys more in Wisconsin, but the gap is beginning to close as Milwaukee inches closer to Chicago from development along the I94 corridor between the two cities. "Operation Full House" begins March 4th, by the Illinois State Police who have beefed up their patrols with 25 extra cars cruising the 77 miles on I294/94 from Indiana to the Wisconsin state line from 7am-3pm. They claim to have a car within every 5 miles to enforce the speed limits, following too closely, and improper lane usage. Illinois State Police Air Patrols will also be assisting this operation.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/03 23:23:52 (permalink)
I remember the old billboards advertising the 24-oz. t-bone for $7.95 ("Start Smiling!") but I think those days are long gone; haven't seen one in awhile and I believe at some time the price went up to $9.95. The signs never did say if it was a *beef* t-bone...

There was (is?) another Pine Cone up around I-90 exit 106 if memory serves. Never ate there but I've had some acceptable basic (eggs, hash browns, toast, sausage) breakfasts at the Johnson Creek location.

Brad
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/04 21:43:05 (permalink)
Anyone know if the Riverdale Country Club supper club is still there? They once upon a time had a fine Wisconsin-relish tray-kind of a meal. Near Sheboygan.
pineyhill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/04 23:21:15 (permalink)
When I travel to Madison, the one place that is a must stop for me is Toby's Supper Club. Kind of a hole-in-the-wall look to it, but I've always had good steaks there. Also you get the old fashion relish tray before your meal arrives, and they mix darn good drinks. Then a place, it has been years since I've been there, The Pyramid near Beaver Dam, WI.
Hastyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/05 00:00:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pineyhill

When I travel to Madison, the one place that is a must stop for me is Toby's Supper Club. Kind of a hole-in-the-wall look to it, but I've always had good steaks there. Also you get the old fashion relish tray before your meal arrives, and they mix darn good drinks. Then a place, it has been years since I've been there, The Pyramid near Beaver Dam, WI.

The Pyramid is still there, but it's now called The Nile Club. It's a good place to eat.
Kaidi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/11 23:57:53 (permalink)
Just joined the board and saw this thread.
Another great supper club between Milwaukee and Madison is The North Shore Inn on Lake Koshkonong. It's off Hwy 106, West of Fort Atkinson on North Shore Road, down on the lake on the right hand side. They have excellent steaks and a rare treat, French-fried Lobster Tails. It's slipper lobster tails, breaded lightly and deep-fried. You can get it in two different combos with steak or by itslef as an entree.
They have good old-fashioneds there, too.
Mmmm, I think it's time for dinner out!

Kaidi
cheesehead
Junior Burger
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2005/03/14 02:16:24 (permalink)
One supper club I forgot is the Buckhorn Supper Club on Lake Koshkonong @ Charleys Bluff. We usually go on Fridays for the fish fry. If you catch the right Friday night, they have catfish. It is farm grown channel cat and is so big that it covers a platter. It's the whole fish. FANTASTIC. They also have perch and walleye. We have never tried the steaks or other entrees. Take Hwy 59W out of Milton to Snuffy's Inn, Turn right and follow the signs.
Kirsby
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2006/02/06 16:41:40 (permalink)
Just got back from a weekend up north and saw that the Sky Lawn Supper Club, from an earlier post, burned down. Another classic bites the dust. We went to Petrusha's supper club, which is about 10 miles north of there on Hwy 51. Great prime rib and the atmosphere is about as classic as it gets!
jchiszar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2006/03/13 16:37:49 (permalink)
Hayward:
The Ranch
Treelands
Dun Rovin
Lost Land Lake
Chippewa Inn
Club 77
Tally-Ho

Cumberland:
5 O'Clock club

Cable:
Garmisch
Mitros

Tough place to live up here...so many choices
Poopy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2006/03/14 10:43:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 4fish

Just a little bit farther north than the Dells, outside of Necedah, is the Woodbine Inn. It's tucked back in the woods and the food is outstanding.

The Carlton is Tomah is also pretty good.

Wow, I haven't thought about the Carlton in years. We used to go there a lot when I was a kid. We lived in Wyeville about 10 miles outside of Tomah. The Carlton and the Tee Pee were two family favorites and yes I realize these aren't exactly children friendly places, but I was well behaved and I had a weird family.

A couple of years ago I actually went back to Tomah and had lunch at the Tee Pee. It seemed a lot cooler when I was kid, but the food was still good.
Tomilynn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2006/04/08 15:13:24 (permalink)
Poopy -

I'm from Tunnel City (about 5 miles on the other side of the I) and had the same thing happen. I guess both restaurants had some downhill slides, but my sister (who still lives there) said that the Carlton has new owners and it's gotten much better.

T.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2006/04/10 11:30:59 (permalink)
Two of my favorites were the Silver Birch in Tomahawk or Bootleggers on Lake Nokomis....haven't been to either one in way too long. I hope they haven't changed.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2008/12/05 18:05:26 (permalink)
From Wisconsin Adventures: 5 Super Supper Clubs
by Judith Berger
Supper clubs may have started in California, but they have their roots in Wisconsin. Lawrence Frank, a Milwaukee native, is credited with opening the first supper club in Beverly Hills in the 1920s.

The classic supper club usually has a swanky bar adjacent to the dining room where a customer can order a Brandy Old Fashioned (Sweet or Sour) and socialize. Supper clubs tend to be outside of town, near a lake or resort area, with a menu of steak, chops, chicken and baked fish with the accompanying soup, salad, potato and relish tray. A supper club wouldn’t be authentic in Wisconsin if it doesn’t serve a Friday fish fry.

According to the Wisconsin Historical Society, Frank is credited with coining the term “doggie bag” – the package that went home with customers containing food served but not eaten by his all-too-full customers. So the next time you leave a restaurant with a “doggie bag,” think of the iconic supper club. Here are five that live up to the moniker.

Del-Bar
800 Wisconsin Dells Parkway, Lake Delton
(608) 253-1861, 866-888-1861
www.del-bar.com
This supper club was named to honor the hometowns – Delton and Baraboo – of the original owners. Jeff Wimmer currently owns Del-Bar, situated just 2 ½ miles south of the Wisconsin Dells. It is the prime Angus steak that draws guests to this destination spot. “All our steaks are prime grade from certified Angus beef,” Wimmer says. Entrees that include filet mignon, Midwest walleye, wild salmon and jumbo shrimp are served with freshly baked rolls; a choice of baked, mashed or hash brown potatoes or rice pilaf; and a green or spinach salad with hot bacon dressing. Friday fish fry is served. Open daily at 4:30 p.m.

Ray Radigan's Restaurant
11712 Sheridan Rd., Pleasant Prairie
(262) 694-0455
www.foodspot.com/rayradigans
“We are one of the last roadhouses – maybe in the country,” says manager Linda Bauer. “We are truly a destination spot.” Opened in 1933, this supper club makes everything from scratch – from salad dressings to pie crusts. There’s not a heat lamp or microwave on the premises. The menu includes Lake Superior whitefish either pan-fried or broiled (“people come from all over the country to have it”) as well as veal, roast duckling, dry-aged steaks and calves’ liver. Dinner includes potato or rice pilaf, soup – vegetable-beef is the restaurant’s signature soup – or salad and rolls. Desserts include banana cream pie, coconut cream pie and strawberry shortcake with homemade baking powder biscuits. Open Tuesday through Sunday.

Toby’s Supper Club
3717 S. Dutch Mill Road, Madison
(608) 222-6913
www.tobyssupperclub.com
This supper club has its roots in Prohibition and has been family-owned for 40 years, says owner Roxanne Peterson. Guests come from all over the area for the lake perch, blue gill, and pan-fried chicken. Additional menu items include steaks and shrimp. Entrees are served with the classic lineup: a relish tray of carrots, onions, celery, radishes and pickles; a bread basket, which includes cinnamon rolls Monday through Thursday; your choice of soup or salad; and your choice of vegetables or potatoes. (Hint: the homemade hash browns are a “customer favorite.”) Open Monday through Saturday with service starting at 5 p.m.

The Rafters
7228 S. 27 St., Oak Creek
(414) 761-2222
www.rafters-milwaukee.com
The Rafters has been in the Dimiceli family since 1960. Steaks, ribs and chops are grilled to order at a charcoal pit in the middle of the dining room. The traditional relish tray of carrots, celery, radishes and pickles welcomes diners at the table. Each entrée includes bread and butter; a choice of salad or cottage cheese; and a choice of French fries, hash browns, baked potato or pasta. "Our filets and New York strip steaks are the favorites with our customers," says general manager Marie Rose. "We serve a lot food, so many people don't even get to dessert. But we have delicious cheesecake – and people love our ice cream drinks." Open Tuesday through Sunday with service starting at 3 p.m. Sunday, 4 p.m. the rest of the week.

High Shores Supper Club
17985 County Highway X, Chippewa Falls
(715) 723-9854
www.highshores.com
On the shores of Lake Wissota, this supper club offers beautiful surroundings and an extensive menu that includes stuffed filet mignon, tiger shrimp, walleye and barbecue pork ribs. Entrees come with a trip to the huge soup and salad bar that stocks warm rolls and garlic toast. Dinners also come with a choice of potato – baked, French fries, hash browns, au gratin and a la Dutch. The Dutch potato is a customer favorite, says co-owner Diane Schroeder (with husband Dennis). “It’s a kind of double-baked but served in a bowl not in the skin.” The dessert tray offers six different kinds of cheesecake. Friday fish fry and a Sunday champagne breakfast buffet are served. Open 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday, 5 p.m. Sunday. Closed Mondays Jan. 1 through April 1.

Judith Berger is a freelance writer based in West Allis. Content produced in cooperation with Wisconsin Trails, www.Wisconsintrails.com. For a free trial issue of Wisconsin Trails magazine, please go to https://www.kable.com/pub/wtrl/subAll.asp.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2010/12/01 21:35:43 (permalink)
From our Friendly Illinois Buddies to our south's newspaper, The Chicago Tribune comes an article on our supper clubs.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/ct-trav-1128-supper-clubs-20101126,0,2577714.story
Oddly it includes one of my favorite Milwaukee steak go to places the 62 year old 5 O'Clock Club, usually still called Coerper's.
It is a fine vintage steak house with a preserved 40's and 50's feel about it but no hall, something most supper clubs seem to have. The Porterhouse at 30 oz. is one magnificent slab of beef and I highly recommend it. www.fiveoclocksteakhouse.com

Madison's Tornado Club is another of several others featured and  this picture is included.
www.tornadosteakhouse.com

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2010/12/02 01:38:12 (permalink)
I clipped out the article from Sunday's Tribune Travel Section.  Thanks for the links; much easier than toting around a piece of newsprint, showing to folks individually.

Buddy
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8496
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2010/12/02 07:25:55 (permalink)
Glad to see my favorite steak place, 5 O'Clock Club mentioned. I have tried many steaks, many places, and they win, hands down.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2010/12/02 08:39:19 (permalink)
Thanks for the input for the Madison-Baraboo-Dells area. I forward those notes to my family in Baraboo, and they check them out 'closely'. So far not a loser in any of the places they visit due to RF recs.

A brief note on the out-of-state plate issue. I was quick to change my CA plates as soon as possible when we left SoCal. We endured the 'evil-Californian' label for many years of road-trips and were stopped and delayed several times while the cop (local AND State) did a vehicle check, and twice wrote me a ticket after releasing several other cars (with the state we were in on their plates). 

OK State Cops stopped 11 cars using a 'wolf-pack' and an aircraft on I-40. Of the 11, two CA drivers got tickets, the others-- TX and OK's-- were warned orally by the cop as the cop walked by the line-up on the road. We were in a Camry doing 74 in the 70mph zone. $145.00 by mail please...Fines CAN double if you appear in court to debate the issue.!

Second one was in Utah. Ticket was 75 in a 55...open & empty desert road, unlimited visibility. Two cars passed me at 75 while I was going a bit slower, I sped up to stay with them. Cops stops all three. Same process. He orally warned the Utah Drivers and then took 30 minutes to computer check my history. He said he had me on radar etc etc. I asked where I could get some of the radar-repelling paint the other guys must have  on their cars. My tickET went from SPEEDING 75 in a 55 to Reckless Driving....$several hundred and a threat of holding me "Mayberry-style" for a court appearance two days later.  I paid. 
  Indiana plates seem to draw kind words from cops. No tickets in over ten years...and only a couple of warnings, all given with sympathy in their voice.  But then I am older and may have slowed a bit on the road !!!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2010/12/02 09:45:28 (permalink)
It's been years since we went to the Little Bohemia! I don't think they played up the Dillenger thing back then but then we have a local supper club that was just called the Hideaway until they started playing up the Capone connection and now it's Al Capone's Hideaway. I guess mobster connections sell steaks.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Wisconsin Supper Clubs 2010/12/02 10:13:45 (permalink)
Last I knew the Hideaway has been closed and up for sale for a couple of years; I think it shuttered after the 2008 season and never reopened.  IIRC the original asking price was something like $2.6 million for the buildings and acreage.

Brad
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1