Hot!Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2556
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 09:11:31 (permalink)
Some members of the Konop family work at the Kewaunee plant.  We often have their fantastic wieners as a fundraiser.  The middle of nowhere is not too far from the nuclear plant.

What are the Polish Delights?  A kielbasa?  You'll have to fill me in on the jerky technique.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 09:49:00 (permalink)
Polish Delights were some similar to little smokey links and the mere mention of them might bring tears to the eyes of some of Milwaukee's older Polish residents. They were great and South Side Sausage sold nothing but superior product.

We were at a kermis last fall up north and Konop's filled the Nesco's; great coarse grind weiners.

Before Konops, I only made whole muscle jerky which I now never do.

If you head up that way, you should try Basil's II hamburgers, brats or pork chop sandwiches; my favorites in the state. They are related to the Krolls from Green Bay.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 10:47:34 (permalink)
Add another one to the list.

Fat Sal is bringing the National Award Winning Bratwurst from Ream's Elburn Market (Elburn, IL).  What an embarrassment if the winner comes from South of the Border.  At least we won't have those ringers from Ohio here.

Speaking of Flatlander brats, does The Brat Stop make their own sausage?  Are their "World's Best Brats" worthy of entry?
post edited by JRPfeff - 2009/08/29 10:51:03
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 12:30:44 (permalink)
Any butcher shop that makes Gutshofleberwurst should be in our little contest.

Brat Stop never did much for me but maybe my tastes have changed.

We just tried Schwai's garlic summer and it might be my new all time favorite. Funny, as cute as his old location was, the new one has 0 charm. I'm firing up the grill next and we're going to have his Hungarian brats for lunch.
No boiling
No simmering
Just low and slow today which feels like October.

Did you want us brat suppliers to be there with our thawed brats early or should I drop them off before the brat fry or just show up with them around 2. Whatever works for you.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 13:10:17 (permalink)
Mike,

If you arrive by 2:00 with thawed brats, it will work out fine.  I'm serving the brats in heats, so some will start cooking later than others.

Jim
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 13:17:42 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Fat Sal is bringing the National Award Winning Bratwurst from Ream's Elburn Market (Elburn, IL).  What an embarrassment if the winner comes from South of the Border.  At least we won't have those ringers from Ohio here.

I just might need to make things a little more interesting.  If I get an opportunity I'll pick up a pound or two from Schmeisser's Sausage Co. (they're the ones who made the lanjaeger I delivered to X1 when we all met at Fred's) in Niles.  This could turn into a Flatlander vs. Cheesehead cook-off...

Buddy
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 14:12:15 (permalink)
JRPfeff

At least we won't have those ringers from Ohio here.

http://www.carlesbrats.com/orderbrats.html

Go ahead and order. Send me the bill.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 14:50:43 (permalink)
The Schwai's Hungarian brats had a perfect balance of meat to fat and a good paprika seasoning.
I'm no purist when it comes to flavored brats and these were very good.
Little if any shrinkage.
I think these simmered in water as a farm sausage would go great with eggs for a spicy breakfast.
Flavored brats bear no resemblance to "regular" pork brats so I have no idea Schwai's will do in the great cook-off. In my mind, I fully expect to enjoy Miesfelds most but I'm looking forward to being wrong.

On another note, they sold some tubs of basically unlabeled horseradish cheddar cheese spread.
Very creamy with none of the chemical preservative-type off tastes sometimes found in this type of product.
It had lots of shredded fresh horseradish in it and that alone might be enough to get me to return.

I'd rather we all chip in and fly Michael Hoffman here for the party. I volunteer to pick him up at the airport and I certify my car is ketchup free. It's a long drive to the party so I think we'd need to stop at Kopp's first for a frozen custard. That days flavor forecast is Mint Chip- A mint flavored custard with dark chocolate chunks and Pralines 'N Caramel 'N Cream-A pure creamy custard with pralines and swirls of caramel. MH?

http://www.schwaisbrats.com/beatmeat/index.htm

http://www.kopps.com/

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 15:34:21 (permalink)
Thanks anyway, but now that I no longer have to fly I don't do it, unless it's an aircraft I can pilot. As to custards, ice cream, candies, cakes and pies -- I can't stand 'em.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 15:43:55 (permalink)
I have the Bertman Original in the refrigerator.  It is superb even on WI brats!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 19:46:59 (permalink)
Pardon me while I hijack this thread with a public service announcement.
Our host outdid himself with redneck sushi and I'm betting at the veyy least he'll appreciate this fellows effort in creating a stuffed bacon roast. Ladies and Gents, I give you The Bacon Tube!

http://blog.bacn.com/2009/03/bacon-tube/ 

post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2009/08/29 19:52:00
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3278
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/29 23:14:03 (permalink)
Mrs. CSD & I will be joining the brat fest. However, since some one else is bringing our brat from the Elburn Market, our entry will be ( Stricken D is going to love this)
"BIG WALLY" 1/2 pound of all pure beef pleasure!

CSD
post edited by chicagostyledog - 2009/08/29 23:15:46
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 01:39:37 (permalink)
Great googly moogly, that is something to behold!  I'm referring of course to both of the above images.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 01:42:56 (permalink)
JRPfeff

I have the Bertman Original in the refrigerator.  It is superb even on WI brats!

I've got an extra bottle of Bertman's as well and could provide same if your one bottle is not enough.  Also, numerous ethnic mustards purchased at various Eastern European type groceries here in Chicago.  Let me know what you'll need.

Buddy
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 02:25:53 (permalink)
I have found it difficult to maintain a roster of all the players in this game ! Will one of you organizers please give us-

1. A list of confirmed participants.   (and)

2. A menu of the competing Brats (and other sausages).

3. A more detailed "game-plan" for the activity.

We are really looking forward to a photo-essay of the contest and it's participants.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 03:38:58 (permalink)
You know Al, if you don't have anything better to do that weekend, YOU could be a participant!  Just throw Janet and The Boys into the car and hightail it north.  Sorry, Freddy's is closed on Sundays, so no precook-off snack.

I think most of The Contingent (whaddaya think of the name, Al?) are planning to be there.  From what I've read so far the only absolute no shows are quijote and irisarbor.  We haven't heard from Gyp or annpeeples yet, but other than that I think we're all accounted for.  The list, as near as I can figure at 2:30am, includes JRPfeff (our host), X1, MilwFoodlovers, chicagostyledog, stricken_detective, ChuckL50, Brad Olson, abe froeman, Mr. Maki, nocarolina, ChiTownDiner (we've got our fingers crossed), and BuddyRoadhouse (hey, that's me!).  If I left anyone off the list, feel free to humiliate me in public.  Naturally there will be significant others and/or friends accompanying most of these folks.  I believe JRPfeff has also invited some of his non-Roadfood pals over to help "remove" some brats.

I don't think you'll get an absolutely complete list of entrants until after the event.  Based on what I'm reading here, folks may walk in with a surprise entry or two from some little butcher shop out in the middle of nothing.

I'm not sure what JRP's methodology will be in judging the encased meats, but he's a pretty sharp guy and I know he's been thinking about this for a while.  Jim, care to share how we're going to do this?

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/08/30 03:42:27
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10071
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 04:18:59 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

Pardon me while I hijack this thread with a public service announcement.
Our host outdid himself with redneck sushi and I'm betting at the veyy least he'll appreciate this fellows effort in creating a stuffed bacon roast. Ladies and Gents, I give you The Bacon Tube!

http://blog.bacn.com/2009/03/bacon-tube/ 

I read the writeup. Thanks for posting it. My major question is - Did you have a problem with Flare-ups with all that melting Bacon Grease & how did you handle it?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 08:45:20 (permalink)
Hey Mayor,

Please send your Baraboo daughter down here to join us.  All it will cost is a couple pounds of Baraboo's finest bratwurst.

You should be proud to know that I bought a Berkshire hog that was raised in Baraboo again this year and had it processed at the Baraboo Meat Market.

Jim
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 09:00:31 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

JRPfeff

I've got an extra bottle of Bertman's as well and could provide same if your one bottle is not enough.  Also, numerous ethnic mustards purchased at various Eastern European type groceries here in Chicago.  Let me know what you'll need.

Buddy

It might be a good idea for folks to bring a mustard if they have an unusual favorite.  I'll have Bertman, Gulden's, and Koops' on hand.  I'll also get Bucky Badger Mustard (if I can find it), and may have some yellow stuff somewhere.

Other condiment choices will include chopped onion and sauerkraut, maybe fried onions if someone insists.  Am I missing something?  Neon green relish?

The party will be BYOK (or BYOC, if that's how you spell it).  We'll have a special section on the other side of the stream set up for those folks.

Jim
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 09:17:01 (permalink)
mayor al

I have found it difficult to maintain a roster of all the players in this game ! Will one of you organizers please give us-

We are really looking forward to a photo-essay of the contest and it's participants.

Here are the answers, Al,

1. Buddy covered this above better than I could even try.

2. Traditional Bratwurst Competitors
  • Usinger's
  • RJ's Meats
  • Kramarczuk's (from MSP courtesy of BuddyRoadhouse)
  • Christman Meat (courtesy of Brad_Olson)
  • Mystery Brats
  • Klement's
  • Hoelsy's (Courtesy of X1 & ChuckL)
  • Ruef's (Courtesy of X1 & ChuckL)
  • Sendik's Fine Foods
  • Johnsonville
  • J.L. Richards (courtesy of Brad_Olson)
  • Jacobson Bros.  (courtesy of Brad_Olson)
  • Spar's (from Buffalo courtesy of Quijote)
  • Sorgs  (courtesy of Brad_Olson) 
  • Gooseberry's Market
  • Karl's Country Market
  • Miesfeld's
  • Glenn's Market
  • Konop's
  • Schwai's (courtesy of MFL) 
  • Vienna Beef (courtesy of CSD)
  • Ream's Elburn Market (from Elburn, IL courtesy of Fat Sal)
Poultry Brat Entries
  • Karl's Country Market Turkey Brats
  • Miesfeld's Chicken Brats
  • Glenn's Market Turkey Brats
  • RJ's Meats Chicken Brats
I doing the separate poultry category for some friends who do not eat beef or pork. 

3. I give the game plan in another post.

jrp

post edited by JRPfeff - 2009/08/30 09:20:01
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 09:46:36 (permalink)
mayor al

The taste-off will be a blind tasting by my guests.  I will not participate in the judging. 

I have a bracket set up with three rounds of tastings broken into heats.  The first round will be 4 on 4, the second round 3 on 3, and the final will be between the two top choices from the previous rounds.

For each round I will cook 2 of each sausage.  The brats will be cut up into 16 pieces and 16 guests will be asked to sample each of the brats and vote of their favorite.  Top vote getters, including ties, will move on to the next round.  We will rotate judges to provide everyone an opportunity to judge.  I'd like the samples to be tasted plain, so that we judge the sausage makers' products as they produced them, and not the product adorned with condiments.

When the judging is complete, I will cook and serve the remaining sausages by request.  We are limited in quantity for some brats, so I may have to cut those up if one of those turns out to be popular.

Does that make any sort of sense?

I expect to have over 50 pounds of sausage.  I am taking any uncooked leftovers into work to cook for the team that has worked on my project all Summer.

Jim
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 10:30:34 (permalink)
I'll bring some butter for those guests that enjoy their brats Sheboygan-style.
No mustard or kidschup for me; raw onions suits me just fine and while I love sauerkraut, I
would never put any on a brat for myself. Just like folks not understanding kidschup on encased meats, I think kraut covers up the taste of the meat; I'd love some on the side though.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 13:26:20 (permalink)

Thanks for the update!  This get-together sounds like a really great time. You are to be congratulated for a super planning session to get this whole thing put together. I wish we could make it, but I am afraid we won't be on the road for a while. No big deal, just staying close to home for a month or so.

I am sending a 'sorry I can't make it' for Ann Peeples also. She is off the internet for awhile, but sends her regards and best wishes for a great 'Tasting' !

Please get a good photo record of the event and ( am sure you will) a well-defined report of your findings.

Have Fun !
post edited by mayor al - 2009/08/30 13:27:52
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 699
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 15:15:04 (permalink)
mayor al

Are "other", non-brat sausages allowed to come? 
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 16:40:02 (permalink)
abe_froeman

Are "other", non-brat sausages allowed to come? 

Why you gotta go and make trouble?  Is that how I raised you?

Oh wait.  It is.

Sorry,

Buddy
(Dad)

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 699
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 16:41:48 (permalink)
I'm just wondering!  Al's the one that posted it! 

I just know of an excellent, non-brat sausage is all.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 16:47:58 (permalink)
Abe -

We will cook and serve other sausage varieties, but they will not be included in the judging.

jrp
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 17:28:21 (permalink)
Hey, I included the question about the 'non-Brats' after seeing the photo of CSD and his "Big Wally" !  I wondered if the 'Weinies' were slipping in under the radar??
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 20:26:07 (permalink)
Good point Al.  Does the Big Wally meet the bratwurst criteria?  I'm not questioning its quality or flavor, only whether it meets the technical standard for bratwurst-dom.

Also, I just found out what abe froeman's plans are for the "other" sausage she wants to bring.  All I can say is, it might not qualify as a true bratwurst, but when the judging is over and the real eating begins, you will have a hard time keeping MilwFoodlovers away from abe's (note the carefully chosen word here) contribution.

'Nuff said!

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/08/30 20:27:38
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/08/30 20:45:13 (permalink)
Yeah, the verbal descriptors can certainly affect the judging !!!  In my statement  about CSD and the Wienies, I had (at first) said they were "Slipping in the back door" !  But then decided that "Slipping in under the Radar" ! would be a less stress-provoking phrase to use !! 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1