Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Bobby G's Good Eats
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2010/12/04 12:39:47 (permalink)
Sheet... now "Ironing" i can do...I'm withya......Thank you guys...

Chef...with all that you suggested, I with research, realize I need all you spoke about and then some...but regarding "ventilation".... I spoke to a guy who has 11 trailers all around the west coast of florida at loews who is getting out of the business (he made his fortunes), who said he didn't need a fire supression system because he didn't have a grill, only a griddle... and I think I have seen some trailers that did'nt have them..... why is that...I thought all trailers needed them...?..or at least a ventilation system or hood system...?..no bubble bursting here...

Wild...I thought so....thanks...and now I am about to read all 10 pages on the buid llink..." />

sheetserr
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2010/12/06 00:44:08 (permalink)
Chef and others - Most design their trailers with all the cooking equipment on one side.  This may be a no-brainer, but I have to ask a few questions for my own peace of mind.  Is this for purposes of getting it all under the hood system?  How does the trailer remain balanced when a mjority of the heavy equipment is on one side? 

Thank you!
Sheetserr
localnet
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1064
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2010/12/06 06:58:26 (permalink)
The equipment is located under the hood for fire reasons and cost, one hood is cheaper than two and we have little room in these trailers. Then we have work flow, which can make or break a menu in no time at all if you are under pressure to really put out some product and you are running from point a to point b to cook an egg. If you can, really think long and hard about your menu, work it out in your head how you plan to prepare it. I would go as far as to do a trailer/kitchen mock up on my garage floor. Pretend you just got an order for a burger, and go through all of the motions of getting the meat out of the fridge/freezer, cook it, get the bread, lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, build it and package it for the final sale. Where is your condiment/prep table? Where is the bread? At the other end of the trailer or above your head on a shelve? Speed and organization will be key to putting out a good product quickly. Really think about this because it is expensive to redo equipment placement in a trailer, get it right the first time and just don't go with what the builder tells you. He may say it is popular, but he is more than likely selling his design for other reasons other than work flow. You have to cook in it, he doesn't.

That heavy equipment is not "that" heavy, other than say a good sized griddle. The hood is bulky, but again, not that heavy. You also have your water supply along with holding tanks, which can be used as ballast to even things out along with the counter tops, storage and refrigeration. There is allot going on in these mobile kitchens to allow for proper weight distribution.

The one thing that I would be concerned about is the roof. If you have a roof mounted exhaust fan installed along with AC units, make sure that the roof has been beefed up to support the weight. I have read, not experienced, that some manufacturers just throw up an exhaust fan only to have the roof and walls sag in a year or two because they did not add reinforcements to accommodate the weight and the wind forces on the unit when you are pulling it down the road.

Hope this helps.

Mike
post edited by localnet - 2010/12/06 07:01:24
sheetserr
Hamburger
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2010/12/06 15:27:57 (permalink)
Mike,

Thanks for the in-depth response.  It's very helpful.

I had a question, because the first manufacturer I seriously considered (the all-steel guys) balked at the idea of a combo range I said I'd like to put in the trailer.  It was a Southbend combo 4-burner and 36" griddle with a convection oven on the bottom.  They said it would be too deep for the unit.  Then, when I started getting specs, etc, they said there would be an issue of balance.

I agree with you.  I want to do this right the first time.  I'm going to have a good bit of equipment in there, and wanted to make sure it doesn't topple over or do the wobble going down the street.  So, all the cooking equipment on one side is pretty much standard for everyone here?
chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1982
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2010/12/06 18:29:37 (permalink)
Sheetseer.... why the convection oven?  It's a big expense and is deeper than a standard oven due to the fan and motor in the rear of the unit.....It will take up precious room.  I had a full size convection oven along with 2 standard ovens in the movie catering truck....rarely used the convection unless it was a day we were feeding 1000 extras baked chicken or something that required the extra oven space.
sheetserr
Hamburger
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2010/12/06 18:51:08 (permalink)
Hey, Chef

We have standard ovens here at home, but I figured I go convection for the biz.  I hear that the heating is more even, the cook is more efficient and the product generally turns out better.  I plan on - once I get going for a bit - doing specials like pork tacos, meatloaf, roast turkey sandwiches, etc.  I'm sure I'll run some cookies through there on occasion.  

I've found a full-sized counter model.  It doesn't seem overly expensive.  I can tell you that the first trailer manufacturer I was looking at wanted 9k to install a convection oven.  
Bobby G's Good Eats
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2011/03/12 17:12:22 (permalink)
Thanks to all that gave me input... I didn't get either... I went with a brand new 6 x 14...got it for brand new for 2000.00...putting the components in

ty
BG
THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2011/03/12 21:07:49 (permalink)

Barbeque barn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2011/03/13 01:04:54 (permalink)

barbeque barn
post edited by Barbeque barn - 2011/03/13 01:09:16
Freezers-full-in-Alaska
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2011/03/14 21:01:28 (permalink)
Maybe a little off subject ,But there is a real good book if you plan on opening a Concession trailer,Its called Food Booth, The Entrepreneur's Complete Guide to the Food Concession Business Lots of good info I thought.
chocolategypsy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2011/03/17 13:46:44 (permalink)
We're also putting in a convection oven, but that's because of catering, not vending. After using one in commercial kitchens (plus my wife is a professional baker) I would not live without one! I'm also planning on getting a counter-top 1/2 pan sized one for fast and small work. I absolutely love convection ovens, despite the giant size and weight.
Dave
Tsboss
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2012/11/08 13:02:56 (permalink)
They do have a food truck for Dummies book.. I just bought it from Barnes and Nobles..LOL
oqanani
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:Wish They Had a Trailer for Dummies Book 2012/11/16 15:30:05 (permalink)
http://www.amazon.com/Com...5641629/ref=pd_vtp_b_6

Put your money where your mouth is
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1