Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
2010/12/08 09:34:13 (permalink)

Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey

My favorite brand of canned Chili is Wolf Brand, but it's generally unavailable here in NJ. When my sister-in-law visits from Texas she usually brings me a few cans. However, it showed up last week at the Big Lots in South Plainfield. They had at least 50 cans on the shelf, minus the 10 I bought.

At home I compared it side by side with the Cattle Drive Chili that Costco carries (and which gets pretty good reviews), and well, there's no comparison. Wolf Brand is much better, IMHO.

Just a heads up if anyone in the area. I'm not sure about the other Big Lots in the state.

83 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/08 18:44:17 (permalink)
    In one of the Sunday papers I believe I saw Wolf Brand chili advertised in the Dollar General circular. Don't think we have them around this area...but they must be close enough...if in the paper.
    Ok  Union City Elizabeth North Arlington Cranford & Perth Amboy.  
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2010/12/08 18:50:56
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/09 03:11:49 (permalink)
    Don't take this personally, please, but I tried it once and didn't care for it.  I guess we all have different tastes.  I'm just saying this because if somebody really goes out of their way to get it, in the end they might be glad they made the effort of they might not.  Here in Arizona, it's easy to find, though.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/09 11:33:37 (permalink)
    I haven't yet found a better brand of canned chili than Wolf's. And, I live in Texas. Of course, my own made from scratch is miles better but when I don't it's, Wolf's. Without beans, of course.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2010/12/09 11:34:41
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/09 15:21:11 (permalink)
    Wolf Brand "Hot" is on sale here at WM fo $1 a can. I will not make any chili till tha price goes up. I challange anyone who reads this to say they don't like this chili!!! But oh, have some Fritos w/ it. :~)))
    Joe
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/09 19:56:02 (permalink)
    Wolf Brand Chili just recently made its supermarket debut here in the Chicago area, and I had a can of the "with beans" style the other day. It was rather disappointing and I doubt that I'll be buying it again. The best that I can say about Wolf's is that it's better than Hormel's, but then that applies to just about every other brand of canned chili out there.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8330
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/09 21:22:12 (permalink)
    It's now available in the Los Angeles area.

I mentioned in another Wolf Brand thread that it was my Great Great Grandfather's name....   Wolf Brand.

Has to be good!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/09 22:25:10 (permalink)
    I did not think to say "no beans" in my earlier post. I am not even sure the "hot" is made w/ beans. The Hot has a slightly different spice mixture than the regular.
    Joe
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1340
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 13:10:43 (permalink)
    Wolf's (no bean) is a preferred brand by a number of Texan friends of mine. On the other hand, here's something if you don't mind a LITTLE cooking and you have the right ingredients on hand: McCormick's Tex-Mex Chili Mix. I keep ground beef frozen half pound packages in the freezer for easy microwave defrosting; this dish goes from starting to defrost the beef to ready to serve in about half an hour. I add extra mexican oregano and cumin, and sometimes substitute 2 pounds of ground beef for the pound of beef and the can of beans; also, I add a teaspoon or two of masa harina (I buy a 5 pound bag for $2, put as much as I can in a quart container, and toss the rest) at the beginning of the cooking cycle.

Bart
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18882
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 14:15:36 (permalink)
    I think they must be using a different recipe for the Wolf Brand chili they are selling here. I bought a couple of cans when I saw them in a local supermarket and the chili -- no beans, of course -- did not taste like the wonderful stuff available in Texas.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 14:42:52 (permalink)
    Bart, I agree that the McCormick's Tex Mex makes works good for a fast batch.

Michael, if you are right then that is a shame. And I doubt they even have the "hot" version where you are.
    Joe
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18882
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 16:44:59 (permalink)
    Nope. No "hot" version.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 18:26:33 (permalink)
    bartl

Wolf's (no bean) is a preferred brand by a number of Texan friends of mine. On the other hand, here's something if you don't mind a LITTLE cooking and you have the right ingredients on hand: McCormick's Tex-Mex Chili Mix. I keep ground beef frozen half pound packages in the freezer for easy microwave defrosting; this dish goes from starting to defrost the beef to ready to serve in about half an hour. I add extra mexican oregano and cumin, and sometimes substitute 2 pounds of ground beef for the pound of beef and the can of beans; also, I add a teaspoon or two of masa harina (I buy a 5 pound bag for $2, put as much as I can in a quart container, and toss the rest) at the beginning of the cooking cycle.

Bart

I'm not sure if you can get it in New Jersey but, look for "Wick Fowler's 2 alarm" brand of chili fixuns.
    If you can't get it, google their website and order some to make chili with. You'll thank me.
    Wick Fowler and Frank X. Tolbert were the guy's that started the Teriligua Texas Chili-Cookoff. The Wick Fowler chili package has all the packets you'll need to make real Texas award winning chili. I think all you add is tomato sauce, water and of course, yer chili meat. I usually add some fresh pressed garlic, too. 
    Trust me on this one.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2010/12/13 18:28:15
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 19:02:54 (permalink)
    Twinwillow:  Glad to hear it from a Texan.  I've been using Wick Fowler's for almost 20 years and love it.  Not only are the ingredients top quality, you can customize your chili because of the packets. (For example, I ditch their salt packet in favor of my Redmond Real Salt.)  Other than that, I substitute Kitchen Basics Beef Stock for the water.  I'll cover the cinnamon and celery later.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 20:24:11 (permalink)
    Some great advice Twin gives!!! I often use Wick's or Frank's but do not add the red pepper. I like pickled jalapenos for tha heat. And I use soft corn tortillas instead of tha massa. And yes... add some extra garlic, and even some extra Cumin if you like that. Just some suggestions but hey... is your pot. :~)

Oh Mellow, I'll have to try that beef stock Redman Salt.

But, Cinnamon and Celery... I like those also. But that's for the northern versions, that I love by tha way. But oh, celery, along w/ rice and cheese. does work w/ a North Texas version.

Now yall got me wantin some Chili!!!
    Joe
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/12/13 20:33:19
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/13 23:17:48 (permalink)
    BT

Don't take this personally, please, but I tried it once and didn't care for it.  I guess we all have different tastes.  I'm just saying this because if somebody really goes out of their way to get it, in the end they might be glad they made the effort of they might not.  Here in Arizona, it's easy to find, though.

Ditto here: available in TN & LA, but I tried it and was not impressed.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/14 00:19:36 (permalink)
    MellowRoast

Twinwillow:  Glad to hear it from a Texan.  I've been using Wick Fowler's for almost 20 years and love it.  Not only are the ingredients top quality, you can customize your chili because of the packets. (For example, I ditch their salt packet in favor of my Redmond Real Salt.)  Other than that, I substitute Kitchen Basics Beef Stock for the water.  I'll cover the cinnamon and celery later.

Hmm, cinnamon, huh? I use a little cinnamon in a lot of dishes. Never thought of using it with Wick Fowler's chili. But, now that you've mentioned it, it makes perfect sense!
    That's what I like about using Wick Fowler's Chili fixuns. You can be very flexible with extra spices and even the type of meat you use. I personally like the coarse ground 85/15 from Wholefoods. And, I ditch their salt packet as well preferring to use a coarse ground sea salt from my grinder.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2010/12/14 00:22:13
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/14 06:23:53 (permalink)
    Twinwillow:  I was just joking about the cinnamon.  I've seen so many references to it here as a chili ingredient, I just threw that in.  I haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet.   

PapaJoe8:  I was just joking about the cinnamon.  With regard to celery, though, I definitely use it in rice along with onion, bell pepper, etc., and pour the chili over it.  Other times, I make chili pie, a chopped wiener plate (local favorite), or simply pure chili in a bowl.  I just love good chili, period.

Rick F:  I haven't found Wolf Brand Chili in Tennessee.  Where did you see it?

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/15 20:55:18 (permalink)
    Mellow, I must get your rice w/ celery, onion, bell pepper, ect, and pour chili over it recipe!

Twin, you have given me an idea... use your Wick's Chili Recipe, add cinnamon to taste at the end, and serve it over Vermicelli past that has been cooked in butter, SnP. Kinda like a Texas Style pasta chili. Cheese, maybe??? Maybe not?

For my Roadfood buds who did not grow up eating Wolf I would recamend the "Hot" Wolf version. But, even us Texans mostly use Wolf for Chili Dogs and Frito Chili Pie. By tha bowl we make our own.
    Joe
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/15 21:07:15 (permalink)
    Re: Cinnamon. No joking around. It's been my "secret ingredient"  in many of my dishes. Especially, long slow cooked dishes like braises and stews. And, an Italian "Sunday Gravy" recipe from Saveur magazine a few years back.
    It's also the secret ingredient in my long braised lamb shanks. You don't use a lot. Maybe a heaping teaspoon for a large pot. And don't wait until the end of cooking. Add it in the beginning along with all your spices.
    I prefer the strong Vietnamese (true) cinnamon from Penzey's. It's both, hot and sweet.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/15 21:44:54 (permalink)
    Twin, I was just thinking the regular cinnamon like we put on toast. I would think it would blend fast. The true Vietnamese cinnamon might be a whole nother kinda deal. Hot AND sweet... I must check that out!
    Joe
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/15 22:29:40 (permalink)
    Joe, you can't pick out the cinnamon flavor on it's own when you make it my way. It's just part of the intriguing, overall flavor. I usually add a little anchovy also. But, you'd never know it!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/16 12:04:07 (permalink)
    Twin, shhh. Your giving away the secret of secret ingredients. There is enough in there to change the flavor but not enough that most folks would notice... that it's in there.

I didn't give away the secret cause who could tell what I just said. :~))
    Joe
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/16 12:38:49 (permalink)
    Heh, heh.
    SublimeTwilight
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/16 12:43:48 (permalink)
    I'm in Louisiana and there are tons of Wolf Chili everywhere chili is sold. I tried it once, but I didn't like it. There were little shards of bone in it and the meat wasn't quite hearty enough.  For me, Hormel's chili is better.  However, I completely understand how you feel.
    post edited by SublimeTwilight - 2010/12/16 12:52:28
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 814
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/16 15:42:23 (permalink)
    Just came to Indiana no long ago, I was not impressed with it at all.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/16 17:36:51 (permalink)
    Other than Hormel's, are there any other brands besides Wolf out there that merit a try?
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/16 21:31:56 (permalink)
    Michael, sorrrry for the late response. Somehow I missed your earlier post. So Sorry that there is no "Hot" Wolf in your area. Knowing you like I do, for 5 or so years, I will bet you like it... when you get to try it.     Hows that for a run on sentance. :~)

Sublime, welcome to Roadfood! That said... being a close neighbor I will bet you $1 that you will like Wolf "Hot". But... you gotta put in on a Hot Dog, or make some frito Pie w/ it. Let me know and PM me w/ your address and I will mail you tha buck.

Fish, it might be an acquired taste??? Try it 11 times and let me know.

Twin, absoutly yes! Search up the "canned chilli" threads here and you will find allot of them. My fav is a Bison Chili from Montania.  I have a few more favs also. That "stand up" chili is another.
    Joe
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/17 01:07:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the other canned chili suggestions, Joe. But, which ones are available in Dallas? And which stores?
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1340
    Re:Wolf Brand Chili Alert - New Jersey 2010/12/17 18:23:21 (permalink)
    Twinwillow I'm not sure if you can get it in New Jersey but, look for "Wick Fowler's 2 alarm" brand of chili fixuns.
    If you can't get it, google their website and order some to make chili with. You'll thank me.
    Wick Fowler and Frank X. Tolbert were the guy's that started the Teriligua Texas Chili-Cookoff. The Wick Fowler chili package has all the packets you'll need to make real Texas award winning chili. I think all you add is tomato sauce, water and of course, yer chili meat. I usually add some fresh pressed garlic, too. 
    Trust me on this one.

I know the Wick Fowler brand, and it is available in New Jersey (as are several other "top shelf" brands, like Shotgun Willy's and Carol Shelby's), and it IS good. It is due to the Wick Fowler brand that I found out about using masa harina in the chili (Alton Brown suggests crushed tortilla chips, but I'm careful with salt). I was talking about an alternative to CANNED chili, however, meaning something that you can put together really fast. From the time I go into the kitchen to the time it is ready to serve is about 1/2 hour, and that INCLUDES defrosting the beef in the microwave (i keep ground beef frozen in half pound patties). The top shelf chili mixes require more than 2 hours from start to finish. If I'm going to spend that much time, I'm going to make chili from scratch (I keep dried ancho and pequin peppers; sometimes I break the "rules" and use dried chipotles). Also, in terms of cost, I get the McCormick's Tex Mex at about 80 cents a package (I wait for sales, then buy several), while Wick Fowler is typically $2.50 at best.

Once again, if we are talking about making the best chili, and you can't get mexican oregano (which is really a variety of thyme) , masa harina and/or good dried peppers, then I would definitely recommend Wick Fowler's. But as a quick, reasonably priced alternative to canned chili, I'm sticking with McCormick Tex-Mex.

Bart
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1