Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics

Author
Mags81
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2008/08/18 12:50:44 (permalink)

Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics

This place is located on Rt 168 (Battlefield Blvd) approx 1/4 mile south of the Volvo Prkwy intersection. This is their second location...the original is also in Chesapeake but in the "Deep Creek" section/area.

This building was originally one of the chain "BBQ & Ribs Co"...the "eastern NC style" place and once they went out of business...Wood Chick's moved in not too long after...

They offer their original BBQ sauce...spicy BBQ sauce...vinager sauce and of course Texas Pete.

I ordered the "regular" size BBQ pork sandwich w/fries (yep...drenched in the spicy BBQ sauce). They also offer a "jumbo" sized sandwich as well!

After I added the slaw, vinager sauce and Texas Pete

My friend orderd the sweet potato fries...he loves sweet potatoes in general and always orders these everytime we go...oh yea, they're good!

Just a view of the inside

I live only about 8-10 miles from this place so I do visit often...they do have a large menu which includes chicken, ribs and brisket...all sides are homemade...and offer desserts as well. They've won many BBQ awards over the years...and know that they do use wood...

www.woodchicksbbq.com

8 Replies Related Threads

C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/08/18 12:57:06 (permalink)
    Nice report. Love the slaw on the pulled pork sandwich.
    wfmitchell
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/08/19 09:24:25 (permalink)
    Probably the best in Hampton Roads. You have to steer clear of the owner's mother however. She is some sort of over protective stage mom.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/08/20 07:38:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the very nice report. It's good to see the meat is served as it should be - without sauce (unlike the place up I-64). Although I prefer chopped, that's a mighty fine looking sandwich.

Is the pit on-site?
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 512
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/08/20 07:50:13 (permalink)
    Lee Ann Whippen, the owner, recently beat
    Bobby Flay in a BBQ Throwdown.

She's a great lady...she judged a bbq sauce
    contest for another website I view.
    Mags81
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/08/20 08:41:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by douginvirginia

Thanks for the very nice report. It's good to see the meat is served as it should be - without sauce (unlike the place up I-64). Although I prefer chopped, that's a mighty fine looking sandwich.

Is the pit on-site?

I'm pretty sure the pits on-site at the original location but not sure if there is one at this location as well?
    geographer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/10/06 21:24:25 (permalink)
    I've been there twice since we moved to Norfolk two months ago (including on Saturday). The pork is excellent! I really enjoy it with the vinegar sauce. The tomato based is too overpowering for my taste.....
    Raiders757
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/10/25 20:11:42 (permalink)
    I've really got to get down that way and try this place out. It looks damn good. If it's even half as good as Hog Wild out past Williamsburg/Toano, then there onto something. Hog Wild is easily in the top five of the Tidewater area.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, if "the place up I-64" is refering to Pierce's, I would have to disagree if anyone thinks the Williamsburg location isn't darn good BBQ. Not the best in the area like so many think, but their sauces are damn good. I highly recomend the Honey Chicken & Rib sauce they sell there. If you brine some chicken and smoke it, later slapping on the sauce, you got some damn fine eats. Hell, I don't even buy the food anymore, I just stop in and grab bottles of the sauce. Now made even easier that Farm Fresh sells it.
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Wood Chick's BBQ - Chesapeake, VA...w/pics 2008/10/30 14:39:04 (permalink)
    Whoo hoo! Looking like a roadtrip to me!
    Thanks for the info.
    Cathy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1