Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
smcasey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2008/04/23 14:12:03 (permalink)

Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT

Just wanted to start this topic b/c there wasn't a thread related to Woody's in Hartford.

By far, Woody's has the best Hot Dog in Hartford. Woody's is located on Pratt Street, in the former One American Plaza building. Their hot dogs are amazing. website below.

woodyshotdog.com

33 Replies Related Threads

exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 14:26:19 (permalink)
    Well it's inevitable so I'll ask...are you Woody?
    smcasey
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 14:39:55 (permalink)
    Nope...just a downtown Hartford worker, who enjoys a grease fest now and then...

(Today I had Chili Cheese dog / Chili cheese fries)!!

Woody's a guy. I'm not. I can prove it, I'm pregnant! ;-)
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 14:43:51 (permalink)
    Better than Rosco's Big Dog on Temple? Well, smcasey, you don't need to twist my arm to visit and see for myself. Waltpiii, round up the gang and let's check it out! Chris
    smcasey
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 14:49:59 (permalink)
    Puts Roscoe's to shame - and is way more affordable.

I can't believe you've heard of Roscoes' and not Woody's....

Let me know when, and I'll be there...(that is if I'm not giving birth)!
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 16:17:03 (permalink)
    I've heard Woody's mentioned, but haven't been there. Do you know anything about the dog served there? The brand, size, or method of cooking? Is it all beef or beef and pork? I have yet to taste a beef/pork dog that is as good as Rosco's.
    smcasey
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 16:27:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

I've heard Woody's mentioned, but haven't been there. Do you know anything about the dog served there? The brand, size, or method of cooking? Is it all beef or beef and pork? I have yet to taste a beef/pork dog that is as good as Rosco's.

All beef. (its on the website)
    John Fox
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 19:55:56 (permalink)
    Yes, I just looked, however the brand is not mentioned or whether the dog is skinless or has a casing. Out of curiosity I called Woody's and the person I spoke with was kind enough to tell me that the dogs are all beef, skinless, and are made by Bogner's. A skinless dog cannot compare to a natural casing dog, so on that basis alone, Rosco's would be preferable to Woody's. But comparing an all beef dog to a beef/pork one is like comparing apples to oranges. I've heard of Bogner's, but haven't sampled any of their franks, so I'll have to reserve judgement on Woody's. Anyone in the area have opinions on Bogner's?
    smcasey
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 21:36:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Yes, I just looked, however the brand is not mentioned or whether the dog is skinless or has a casing. Out of curiosity I called Woody's and the person I spoke with was kind enough to tell me that the dogs are all beef, skinless, and are made by Bogner's. A skinless dog cannot compare to a natural casing dog, so on that basis alone, Rosco's would be preferable to Woody's. But comparing an all beef dog to a beef/pork one is like comparing apples to oranges. I've heard of Bogner's, but haven't sampled any of their franks, so I'll have to reserve judgement on Woody's. Anyone in the area have opinions on Bogner's?

I didn't know that there was this much to consider with hot dogs...

I believe Bogner's is a prefferred brand in the area. I like them *obviously*
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 21:47:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by smcasey

Nope...just a downtown Hartford worker, who enjoys a grease fest now and then...

Is woody the father? And how did he get that name?
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/23 22:33:30 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I didn't know that there was this much to consider with hot dogs...

I believe Bogner's is a prefferred brand in the area. I like them *obviously*

I am suprised to hear that you feel Bogner's is a preffered brand in the Hartford area. Definitely not as popular as Grote & Wiegel, Mucke's, or Hummel. Bogner's are locally made in Manchester I think, Woody's is the first place that I have heard that serves this brand. Well, it looks like I'll be headed down to Pratt Street this weekend to give it a try, even though the dogs are skinless.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/24 13:22:55 (permalink)
    Let me get this staight, Woody's serves an all beef, skinless hot dog. I prefer a natual casing hot dog. Their relish must very good to tempt me to visit.

Walt
    Luvthemdogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/24 15:47:37 (permalink)
    I have to disagree with the Woody's comments and share my own (also posted this in the Rosco's thread). I travel with a group of other hot dog fanatics every Friday. We go all over Hartford and surrounding suburbs for a hot dog lunch. We keep spreadsheets on each location. We'll do Woody's at least twice a year. We all prefer Rosco's over Woody's. For us, we look at the dog by itself, then the condiments, preparation of all items including the dog, bun and condiments, and one guy adds cleanliness to his list. We don't care about price or ambiance. Though we all have different top fives, Rosco's is on all of them and Woody's is not on a single one (in the top 5 that is). You'll see Ranch House rated higher, which serves the Bogner skinny foot long all beef skinless. Also usually highly rated are The Glenwood in Hamden (for those that travel out of the immediate suburbs), The Dawg House in N.B., Capitol Lunch (not on mine), Augie and Rays and Berlin Pizza to name a few. Hot Dogs are very subjective. There will never be a "best" because of that, just one person's preference.
    smcasey
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/24 15:51:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Luvthemdogs

... which serves the Bogner skinny foot long all beef skinless....

Is what woody's serves too.

I agree, hot dogs are subjective, its all a matter of opinion. I really didn't know there were that many hot dog connoisseurs in the Hartford area. I prefer woody's. I started this thread in hopes that other people would discover a place they hadn't tried or whatever.
    Luvthemdogs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/24 16:29:20 (permalink)
    No issue with that. The more places to visit, the better.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/24 16:39:33 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I agree, hot dogs are subjective, its all a matter of opinion. I really didn't know there were that many hot dog connoisseurs in the Hartford area. I prefer woody's. I started this thread in hopes that other people would discover a place they hadn't tried or whatever.

Like most people that posted here, I will be trying Woody's my next time through the area. We all appreciate a new place to try. I hope you can take some good natured ribbing.

And please, if you have a boy, don't name him Woody.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/25 08:51:21 (permalink)
    quote:

I have to disagree with the Woody's comments and share my own (also posted this in the Rosco's thread). I travel with a group of other hot dog fanatics every Friday. We go all over Hartford and surrounding suburbs for a hot dog lunch. We keep spreadsheets on each location. We'll do Woody's at least twice a year. We all prefer Rosco's over Woody's. For us, we look at the dog by itself, then the condiments, preparation of all items including the dog, bun and condiments, and one guy adds cleanliness to his list. We don't care about price or ambiance. Though we all have different top fives, Rosco's is on all of them and Woody's is not on a single one (in the top 5 that is). You'll see Ranch House rated higher, which serves the Bogner skinny foot long all beef skinless. Also usually highly rated are The Glenwood in Hamden (for those that travel out of the immediate suburbs), The Dawg House in N.B., Capitol Lunch (not on mine), Augie and Rays and Berlin Pizza to name a few. Hot Dogs are very subjective. There will never be a "best" because of that, just one person's preference.

I would love to see a list of everyones top five. Could you post it?

Thanks,

Walt
    Luvthemdogs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/26 12:09:41 (permalink)
    Walt, Mine are as follows: Rosco's, Glenwood, Super Duper Weenie. By far the top 3. I then have (and some for nostalgic reasons only), Dawg House, Ranch House, Blackies, Macs Canteen.
    The other's have varying orders. My buddy who started this group has Rosco's, Blackies, Super Duper Weenie, Capitol Lunch, Dawg House (his is followed by all the New Haven area ones that serves Hummel's since its his favorite brand). Again, very subjective topic. It is also difficult for MOST people to be objective about dogs. Sometimes sentiment and price play a major factor. When people generally post these things, they could be friends of the owner, or have only visited 5 hot dog places. In my ventures, I find Capitol Lunch people to be the most subjective. They've been around for 80 years and thats all their followers know of how a hot dog should be. Throw a Chicago dog at them and they'll spit it out and vice versa with someone from Chicago eating one of theirs. Just my two cents.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/26 15:30:14 (permalink)
    quote:

Walt, Mine are as follows: Rosco's, Glenwood, Super Duper Weenie. By far the top 3. I then have (and some for nostalgic reasons only), Dawg House, Ranch House, Blackies, Macs Canteen.
    The other's have varying orders. My buddy who started this group has Rosco's, Blackies, Super Duper Weenie, Capitol Lunch, Dawg House (his is followed by all the New Haven area ones that serves Hummel's since its his favorite brand). Again, very subjective topic. It is also difficult for MOST people to be objective about dogs. Sometimes sentiment and price play a major factor. When people generally post these things, they could be friends of the owner, or have only visited 5 hot dog places. In my ventures, I find Capitol Lunch people to be the most subjective. They've been around for 80 years and thats all their followers know of how a hot dog should be. Throw a Chicago dog at them and they'll spit it out and vice versa with someone from Chicago eating one of theirs. Just my two cents.

Thank you for your info.

Walt
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/26 15:53:05 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Do you own Woody's? And what other places do you like in the area?
    ...Russ
    Luvthemdogs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/26 17:24:42 (permalink)
    Russ, are you refering to me or the other poster?
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/26 18:32:07 (permalink)
    quote:

Russ, are you refering to me or the other poster?

The original poster...Russ
    John Fox
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/27 08:52:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by waltpiii

quote:

I would love to see a list of everyones top five. Could you post it?

Thanks,

Walt

In Connecticut, I've been to Rosco's, Glenwood Drive In, Super Duper Weenie (2 locations), Swanky Franks, Mr. Mac's Canteen, Danny's, Rawley's, Capitol Lunch (2 locations), and Blackies. Since I've gone, Rawley's switched from Rosseler's franks (which are no longer made) to Mucke's I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Super Duper Weenie now uses Hummel's since their original supplier, Miller's Provisions closed.

I know that there are many other good places in Connecticut that I haven't been to that I suspect would rate higher in my opinion than most of the places I've gone to and would probably fill spots 3 to 5. I like Mucke's brand of frankfurters, so I might like a place that serves them like Rawley's. I also like all beef dogs. The Chez Lenard (sp?) cart that serves a Hebrew National with casing might make my list. As would a restaurant in Cos Cob I've heard about that grills a natural casing Sabrett. I think it's called Top Dog.

My top 5.

1) Rosco's. There is no better place in my opinion for a German style beef and pork dog. And this includes New Jersey. Rosco's dog is a Thumann's griller which is prepared on a griddle. It has a tender casing and the meat is loosely packed, so this particular frank is better suited for a griddle than a grill. This is not the same dog as the Thumann's deep frier which is the dog used at Rutt's Hut and many other North Jersey hot dog establishments. Although made in Jersey, very few places here use this particular dog. I have no idea why this is, given the taste and quality of it. Out of 2 currently that I know of, one deep fries it (even though it is the griller) and the other prepares it poorly, not leaving it on the griddle for a sufficient amount of time. Believe it or not, our local Little League field served this dog years ago and did a great job grilling it. And a 6 to a lb dog sold for only $1.50. People used to come to the field just to buy hot dogs! Then the league decided it was easier to just boil the dogs, so they switched to an all beef dog that is boiled.

Rosco's serves the regular 6 to a lb frank and a bigger quarter pounder. Prepared perfectly, this dog is fine with just mustard. But it also goes well with toppings given it's milder spicing compared to a more well seasoned beef dog. The toppings/condiments are homemade and as good or better than any hot dog joint. I sampled most of them on the side. Their coleslaw is one of the best I've had anywhere.

I would rate Rosco's in my top five for hot dogs in any state; certainly my number one choice overall for a mixed meat (beef and pork) dog.

2) The Glenwood Drive In. A five to a lb natural casing Hummels brand dog is charcoal grilled. A fantastic dog. Also beef and pork, what sets Glenwood apart from the many places that use Hummels dogs is the preparation and size. I love the long, thin shape of this dog. It looks just like the 5 to a lb dog from Best Provisions in New Jersey that was served at Syd's for many years. Hummels dogs are spicier than most beef/pork dogs and have a unique tartness/tanginess. Add to this the flavor that charcoal broiling imparts and you have an excellent hot dog. Again, one of my favorites anywhere. I am in agreement with Luvthemdogs that Rosco's and the Glenwood are the 2 best by far.

3) Super Duper Weenie. There is a bit of a drop off here. When I went here a few years ago, Miller's was the dog used. A fine German style dog similar to what is served at the Galloping Hill Inn in Union, N.J. Most of the time I got my dog with mustard. Their mustard is very good; one of the best. It's B&G brand. The New Englander with sauerkraut, bacon, mustard, sweet relish, and raw onion (which I omitted) was a standout and one of the finest combinations of toppings I've had on a hot dog. I usually just have mustard on my dogs. SDW splits and griddles the dogs. As I mentioned, they have since switched to Hummel's. It seems that most places in Conn. that use the Hummel dog either deep fry it or deep fry, then grill it for a minute or 2 for added crunch. I like dogs deep fried as well as grilled. Most of the time I prefer grilled, which is why SDW is rated above my final 2 choices.

4) Mr. Mac's Canteen. Tough picking an order for Mr. Mac's, Swanky Frank's, or Danny's. All use Hummel's and are similar in taste. Mr. Mac's deep fries, then rolls the dog around on the grill for added crunch. A tasty, well prepared dog. I think their chili might be the hottest anywhere. Too hot for me.

5) Swanky Franks and Danny's. Similar. Swanky's uses the Hummel's and deep fries it. For a quarter more you can get it split and grilled. Danny's puts the dog on a griddle first, then deep fries it. Again, from what I remember, this dog is very similar to Swanky Franks and Mr. Mac's. Very hot chili (Kuhn's) although not as hot as Mr. Mac's. I didn't sample the chili at Swanky Franks although I hear that it is milder than the other 2 and I'm sure more to my liking.

One day a few years ago I went to seven places with longdog. My comments are towards the bottom of the first page.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5048
    John Fox
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/27 09:06:02 (permalink)
    quote:

smcasey,

I take you at your word that you're not a guy. But being pregnant is not neccesarily proof. Last week on the news and in the newspaper were reports of a guy who is pregnant! I hope it's not Woody. " />
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/27 09:43:26 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

First of all , name the new child Woody , Roscoe , Frank if its a boy.
    Great post John on those CT dogs . We will have to make a trip up there one day .

Benzee
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/27 15:08:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

quote:

...Russ

The ownership question was addressed already. Apparently if you like something on this board and you have a limited number of posts, people automatically assume that you own the place that you like. Way to encourage new posters.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/27 15:35:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

quote:

quote:

quote:

...Russ

The ownership question was addressed already. Apparently if you like something on this board and you have a limited number of posts, people automatically assume that you own the place that you like. Way to encourage new posters.

You might be correct saps however I read her other post first. In the other thread...Russ

Two Koegels Viennas Chicago Style.

http://www.koegelmeats.com/products/db.cgi?viennas
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/27 18:40:52 (permalink)
    Didn't catch that. I see where you're coming from.
    smcasey
    Junior Burger
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/04/28 08:38:03 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

...Russ

Nope, don't own Woody's. As far as hot dogs go, you can't have lived East of the River and not been to Augie & Rays (in East Hartford. As far as a favorite, I can't pick b/t A & R and Woody's...just can't do it. Augies would win due to sentimental value..(used to go there with my Mom as a kid)...But their food is good too...I haven't been since last summer! I will go soon!
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Woody's Hot Dogs - Hartford, CT 2008/09/24 12:24:41 (permalink)
    smcasey, thanks for starting this thread way back when! I gave you credit in my RF Digest post[url='http://www.roadfooddigest.com/post/2008/09/Summertime-Eats-in-CT2c-Chapter-27.aspx']today[/url], plus I have an article on my adventure at Augie & Ray's to be posted on Friday. Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming! Chris
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1