Woolworths hot dogs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/05 09:07:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dayle long

the only 5 and 10 i know of is in santa fe
on the plaza. it's no longer a woolworth's
but they still sell the frito pie.
don't recall ever seeing anyone order
a hot dog there though.

Woolworth's closed their last stores in 1997 and re-formed as Foot Locker, the shoe retailer. However, the Santa Fe store did not become a Foot Locker, but rather an independent retail store, Five and Dime. I remember the first edition of Roadfood I bought, this establishment was listed as 'Woolworths', this was the 1992 edition.
lbjack
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/05 09:30:52 (permalink)
I do not remember Woolworth's hot dogs, but I do remember their terrific ham salad sandwiches. What fun to eat at the lunch counter and then shop afterwards. I wish we still had those kind of stores. Linda
mland520
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/05 09:32:31 (permalink)
For BrooklynBill-
I was born and raised in Kingston, NY and remember very well the Woolworths store on Wall Street, the main drag uptown. The last thing I purchased there was a radio for my daughter- she wanted just a radio- no clock, no timer, nothing fancy, and they were the only place in town that had exactly what she wanted for very little $$$. I remember going there as a kid with my dad, who really loved hot dogs, and having a root beer while eating a dog. Do you remember the Rexall Drug on the corner that had the soda fountain? There was a store! Made the best ice cream soda in town. If they didn't have what you were looking for, you didn't need it! Thanks for the memories- I sure do miss some of that, now that I am older ( not neccessarily wiser).
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/05 09:44:01 (permalink)

I am reading these posts and it causes me to flash upon recollections of eating at a lunch counter at Grand Central Station which was on 42nd St. Does anyone remember this place? My dad would take me there when we got into the city, if not that, it would be the Automat at across the street.

mark
WienerKing
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/05 13:25:30 (permalink)
Aaah, yes, Woolworth's, I remember it fondly. However, I don't recall having a hot dog there, but the club sandwiches and fries were very good. Thanks for bringing back memories of the "good old days". Here's a flashback for you....S & H Greenstamps!!!
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/05 17:14:27 (permalink)
Here are a few fixes for us cheapo hot dog fans, but there's no lunch counter where you can debate politics, sports, or other stuff. I guess you'll have to do that in a park or over your cell phones or something.

http://www.thorntonsinc.com/ (in Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio)

http://www.speedway.com/ (in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and West Virginia)

http://www.kwiktrip.com/ (in Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin)

Thornton's is a better call because of the wealth of toppings available (even celery salt for us Chicago Style fans , but no poppy seeds on the buns ). Kwik Trip has a decent selection of condiments, too, and sells real milkshakes but not malts and it's not a bad place to get staples like milk and eggs instead of making a seperate trip to the grocery store. Speedway (or SuperAmerica, depending on location) is a LOT less expensive than either of the others, and a not bad choice when you have to eat and only have $5, and it's between home and my job, so I eat there fairly often.

My advice in these three places is: stay away from the pizza or prepared sammies and stick with the hot dogs (or other sausages). They all do pretty good coffee and fountain pops.

They all beat the snot out of other cheapo food purveyors like Taco Bell, Arby's or KFC, the carrier of the only bad shepherd's pie I ever had, and that includes some I've cooked!
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/09 14:33:37 (permalink)
Growing up in Staten Island,NY we had 2 Woolworth's with lunch counters, one in Stapleton and the other in Port Richmond. Also Kresge's (sp?) at the Forest Ave. Shoppers Town and later W. T. Grant at Hylan and Ebbitts had lunch counters. Looking back they were nothing special but were a treat when I was a kid.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2329
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/09 15:23:14 (permalink)
My first...(well, perhaps second) girlfriend took a job at the lunch counter at Woolworth's store in Pacific Beach. She wore this cute little turquoise dress with a white collar. Oh, beam me back, Scottie, what couldn't I do with that today?
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/09 15:44:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by eggsactleyAlso Kresge's (sp?) at the Forest Ave.
S.S. Kresge (what the S's stand for is beyond me, but still) was one founder of K-Mart, along with his brother-in-law, Charles Wilson. They still have lunch counters at some K-marts, but the food is pre-cooked, then wrapped in cellophane, so it's just not right.

Jeeves to the rescue! Sebastian Spering Kresge, at least according to http://www.Ask.com. I was wrong about Wilson being a co-founder, though. The original founder, who was bought out by Kresge in 1907, was named John G. McCrory. http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/article-9046232/Sebastian-S.-Kresge

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/09 16:07:21 (permalink)
I'm old enough (67) to remember Woolworth's. I loved going there. I don't remember eating hot dogs but, I used get a tuna salad sandwich on white toast (my favorite) and a fountain Coke. Made with syrup and seltzer.The syrup was made with sugar. Not HFCS!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/09 16:14:31 (permalink)
It seems the older I get, the more I cherish the memories of wonderful places in America that are now long gone.
Woolworth's, the Automat, Ebinger's bakery in Brooklyn. Wow! Ebinger's. That could start a whole new topic!
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/06/10 02:13:09 (permalink)
Growing up on the south side of Chicago, I remember Woolworth's, Kresge's and Neisner's five and dimes, or more familiarly, "dime-stores."

Been to them hundreds of times with my mom when I was a kid. She was a coffee addict and had to get constant fixes. I can't remember any of the food, except once when I was about 7 years old, we stopped at Woolworth's for mom's fix. It was the middle of winter, so I got a hot chocolate. There weren't many lawyers back then, so they served it at about 800 degrees F. I began telling my mom about something, and without thinking, I picked up the coffee cup with the hot chocolate and took a large gulp. Sumbich!!! I remember crying my little eyes out, because it hurt like nothing I had ever experienced before. A good lesson learned. No permanent damage." />
671USA
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/07/02 04:28:54 (permalink)
I do recall my parents back in the late 60's shopping at Pembroke Mall (Va.Beach) and getting a Woolworth's hot dog. I wasn't much into the various condiments other than ketchup, but the way the bun was toasted and sort of rectangle in shape made for a neat and different tasting hot dog. Anyone know of a place that serves a similar hot dog?
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/07/04 13:34:51 (permalink)
i remember eating hot dogs on toasted buns at Woolworths down the shore in Nj where i grew up. Just don't remember what town i was in??? maybe BrickTown? anyone know how to find out where there were Woolworth's?
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Woolworths hot dogs 2007/07/04 14:16:59 (permalink)
Pwingsx here on Roadfood turned me onto this site: http://www.reminisce.com/ Brings ya back in time..
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1