Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

World Pizza Capital

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 53
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 10:48 AM (permalink)
Forget New York, Forget New Haven. Forget Naples. You can even forget Gary, Indiana.

Columbus Ohio is the World Capital of Pizza, and I can prove it. Here is the final word from the absolute authority on the subject:

Massey's Pizza started it's long term love affair with Central Ohio pizza consumers when Romeo Siri, Guido Casa and The Massey Brothers introduced pizza to Columbus at Romeo's Italian Restaurant on West Fifth Avenue. In 1949, Jim and Dan Massey opened Columbus' first pizzeria on East Main Street in Whitehall. The rest is history. TODAY, COLUMBUS IS THE PIZZA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!

http://www.masseyspizza.com/index.html

Tony Bad

Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 10:59 AM (permalink)

Well it is good to finally get this resolved!   

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
      Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 11:18 AM (permalink)
      Tony Bad

Well it is good to finally get this resolved!  

Indeed.

I can remember quite clearly, unfortunately, the only time I ever had a pie from Massey's. It was shortly after we moved here in 1972. We had company from New Haven, and they'd arrived after driving all day, so they were pretty tired. The only pizzeria in town was a Massey's, so I ordered a sausage pie. When I got back after picking it up we sat down to eat and just one person, a 10 year old, I believe, took more than one bite. It was the absolute worst excuse for an apizza I'd ever seen. It went right into the garbage.

The fact that this place has won "Best Pizza in Columbus" honors several times speaks directly to the wealth of wonderful apizza available here.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
        Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 11:22 AM (permalink)
        Michael Hoffman

Forget New York, Forget New Haven. Forget Naples. You can even forget Gary, Indiana.

Now pray tell how could one ever forget Gary, Indiana and pizza on this forum?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4465
          Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 11:28 AM (permalink)
          But do they have a sign?

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
            Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 12:09 PM (permalink)
            We went to Disneyworld for our last vacation, but I am talking up Gary, Indiana to the wife and kids for this year's siesta

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
              Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 12:11 PM (permalink)
              Chicago is the pizza capital of the world; no ifs, ands or buts.

Tony Bad

Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 12:30 PM (permalink)
                joerogo

But do they have a sign?

That IS all you need isn't it? A sign...and/or someone saying it on the internets? 

What about this place...

<message edited by Tony Bad on Tue, 03/3/09 12:32 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                  Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 1:42 PM (permalink)
                  That's funny. I always thought Fargo, North Dakota held that distinction. 

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                    Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 1:47 PM (permalink)
                    nocarolina

Chicago is the pizza capital of the world; no ifs, ands or buts.

That's like saying Cincinnati is the chili capital of the world. In other words........WRONG!!  pb

buffetbuster

Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 1:50 PM (permalink)
                      Well, at least Gary, Indiana is still the home of the best Polish food in the whole world!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                        Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 1:57 PM (permalink)
                        Cincinnati can't be the chili capital of the world......because Gary Indiana is the chili capital of the world

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                          Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 2:01 PM (permalink)

Tony,

That is a GREAT sign!!! I love it. I think that we need to post more signs like that. Is there a thread that I am missing?
                          One reason why I think about going to Austin, Texas is to find the place with the sign saying "Sorry, we're open."

mark

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                            Re:World Pizza Capital Tue, 03/3/09 9:42 PM (permalink)
                            Sorry, porkbeaks, but you wrong, me right!

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
                              Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 10:08 AM (permalink)
                              Columbus is the Bob Evans capital of the world. New York is the pizza capital.

joerogo

Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 2:04 PM (permalink)

Tony Bad

Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 2:53 PM (permalink)
                                  joerogo

You know if it's on the internet....it's got to be true!

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/03/old-forge-pennsylvania-the-pizza-capital-of-the-world.html

2 for 2 Joe...sign and verifiable on the internets. I hope this will finally put this issue to rest!! 

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                    Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                    Wow.  This issue has been put to rest a LOT on this thread.

Tony Bad

Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                      The Travelin Man

Shhhh...Can't you see I am trying not to have this turn into the classic "the best____ is from _____"  battle? I'll agree with anything at this point.

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
                                        Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                        Let me say this about that. Hawaii is not the pizza captial of of the world!

joerogo

Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 6:14 PM (permalink)
                                          Tony Bad

The Travelin Man

Shhhh...Can't you see I am trying not to have this turn into the classic "the best____ is from _____"  battle? I'll agree with anything at this point.

You're a riot, Tony. You're a regular riot.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                            Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 8:40 PM (permalink)
                                            last time I was in Gary,Ind. it looked like the DMZ. worse than Detroit. that was in the 80's.
                                            and I thought I was the capitol & the world revolved around me.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                              Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                              Do they serve scampi?

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                                Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 03/4/09 10:33 PM (permalink)
                                                Worst Pizza, great sales pitch.  It reminds me of when I make cold calls and people say "we don't buy much" - I always respond "well I don't sell much, so we'll work well together"!

KenK

• Total Posts: 143
                                                  Re:World Pizza Capital Sat, 04/25/09 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                                  buffetbuster

Well, at least Gary, Indiana is still the home of the best Polish food in the whole world!

Well, I grew up in Gary, Indiana. Lived there until I graduated from Indiana University, and have lived in Denver for the past 38 years. Being of Polish extraction myself, I would have to agree that some of the best Polish food I have ever eaten was in Gary. Though it was mostly served in my and my relatives homes ! (LOL)

But , I will say this after having eaten pizza from coast to coast , some of the best pizza I ever have eaten has been in Gary, Indiana. 

My wife and I had the occasion last summer to be passing through Gary. It was at lunch time, so I made it a point to head over to one of the pizza places I recalled as a teenager.  It happens to be in one of the safer sections of Gary, known as Miller Beach.

Flamingo Pizza and lounge is located close to the Lake. And the pizza was as good or better than I remembered. Another thing that I liked was that they still cut the pizza into squares, rather than triangular wedges. Or in long pieces like they do at another famous Northwest Indiana pizza place.... John's

Anyway, after watching the great Gary, Indiana pizza debate on this forum for the past couple of years now, I thought I would finally add my two cents. Also suggest to anyone that has not tried a pizza from Northwest Indiana, to stop in to the Flamingo , like we did, and try it out for yourself. The Flamingo is in a safe part of the city, and the drive along the lakeshore is fun too.

flamingo pizza gary indiana - Google Maps

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                                                    Re:World Pizza Capital Sat, 04/25/09 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    Baah Ben

Do they serve scampi?

Oh, a  shrimp scampi pizza with a nice pasta crust would be perfect. Now who could I find on Roadfood who could show me how to make the BEST shrimp scampi pasta crust pizza???  

Dennis in Cary

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                                                      Re:World Pizza Capital Sat, 04/25/09 9:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      World's worst pizza...that sign lies,unless I missed the word Dominos somewhere!!!!!

JimboTJones

• Total Posts: 2
                                                        • Location: Pleasureville, KY
                                                        Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 08/5/09 8:08 AM (permalink)
                                                        Sorry for the bump but this thread was the first thing to come up when I googled "pizza capital of america". I was watching a show on FoodNetwork yesterday called Challenge: Pizza Battle (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-challenge/challenge-pizza-battle/index.html) and the host did say that Ohio was the pizza capital of the U.S. According to the show, Ohio has more pizzeria's per capita than any other state. Old Forge, PA might have that title on the smaller city/town scale but Ohio apparently has it on a state scale.

Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share it since this thread is at the top of the list when you google the subject.

-Jimbo
                                                        <message edited by JimboTJones on Wed, 08/5/09 8:10 AM>

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                          • Location: New York, NY
                                                          Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 08/5/09 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                                          Jimbo and MC,
                                                          Mr. Hoffman was being facetious when he wrote the first post. In the third post, he expresses his real opinion of the pizza available in his local area. We have fun on this forum picking apart all those "Best of" lists and articles that appear in print, online, and television media. There might be five articles on "Pizza Capital of America", and all five give a different Metro area.

JimboTJones

• Total Posts: 2
                                                            • Location: Pleasureville, KY
                                                            Re:World Pizza Capital Wed, 08/5/09 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                                            David_NYC

Jimbo and MC,
                                                            Mr. Hoffman was being facetious when he wrote the first post. In the third post, he expresses his real opinion of the pizza available in his local area. We have fun on this forum picking apart all those "Best of" lists and articles that appear in print, online, and television media. There might be five articles on "Pizza Capital of America", and all five give a different Metro area.

I understand that but like I said in my post, this thread is one of the first to pop up if you google the subject and I wanted the accurate answer (based on the FoodNetwork show and the amount of pizzeria's per capita) for future reference. I chose to ignore Mr. Hoffman's third post since anecdotal evidence based on a single time trying a particular pizza (that was over 30 years ago) is hardly a good basis for dismissing a pizzeria.

-Jimbo

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 53

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com