The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
  • Roadfood Insider
World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Wed, 12/23/09 10:56 PM (permalink)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...ground_zero_restaurant

This is sad... Was hoping it would be more of a mom and pop style shop to kick off the WTC's rebirth.  Sadly, it's a chain. Wonder if their hot dog buns will be "fresh bread" also?

NEW YORK – Fresh bread will soon be baking high above ground zero.
The new World Trade Center got its first restaurant Wednesday — a sandwich shop at the top of the Freedom Tower under construction.
As the sun rose over the site of the Sept. 11 attack, a lift on a hydraulic jack hoisted the Subway restaurant up the signature skyscraper that marks the rebirth of the trade center's 16 acres. The shipping containers-turned-eatery will open in January and keep moving up as the tower is built to 105 floors.

<message edited by UncleVic on Wed, 12/23/09 10:59 PM>

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
    Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 7:54 AM (permalink)
    Subway!? Really? ....that is sad.

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
      Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 8:06 AM (permalink)
      Jeez, lighten up people.  It's a Subway built inside a shipping container that can be moved by crane when necessary for the convenience of the construction workers.

It seems like to me that your disappointment is a little silly. 

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
        Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 8:50 AM (permalink)
        We're just saying...how 'bout a Katz or Carnegie or 2nd Ave Deli for those boys

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
          Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 8:59 AM (permalink)
          Katz or Carnegie or 2nd Ave Deli would no doubt insist on turning a profit. Subway's willing to break even and forego their margin for the publicity.

Tony Bad

Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 10:11 AM (permalink)
            There really wasn't much of a mom & pop presence down there before 9/11 so this is consistent with the past. Rents were too high.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
              Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 1:09 PM (permalink)
              If Its the World trade Ctr then put in a International Food court.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 1:16 PM (permalink)
                Maybe they will use tasty French or Italian crusty chewy hoagie  bread NY contruction workers might enjoy (or offer as an option) and start a trend - down with nothing Subway bread!!!!
                <message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 12/24/09 1:38 PM>

seafarer john

Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 1:37 PM (permalink)
                  Hats off to the clever marketers at Subway! The construction guys will be able to get sandwiches, and the company gets publicity every time the container moves or anyone takes a picture of the new tower.

BTW: The last time I was in a Subway sandwich shop was about four years ago when I was dragged kicking and screaming into one by our good friend and fellow Roadfooder, Brooklyn Bill. 

Cheers, John 

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                    Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 1:40 PM (permalink)
                    I think they are over-exposed publicity wise, and probably about on par with Dominos - is it any coincidence each of their products are based on cheap tasteless bread dough?

You would think the entire population was raised on Wonder Bread and never learned what good bread and dough  is supposed to taste like.
                    <message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 12/24/09 1:42 PM>

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                      Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 8:51 PM (permalink)
                      jman

.....It's a Subway built inside a shipping container that can be moved by crane when necessary for the convenience of the construction workers..........

Things went to hell when "Big" Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. died.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Thu, 12/24/09 9:01 PM (permalink)
                        To clear my name, when I made the post, I was thinking of the diversity of the street foods in NY.  Felt they would be a better example to bring the site back to life vs. some fast food chain looking to make a buck...

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Tue, 12/29/09 9:40 AM (permalink)
                          EatingTheRoad

We're just saying...how 'bout a Katz or Carnegie or 2nd Ave Deli for those boys

Unfortunatley that would never work. These restaurants cater to the tourist trade, not construction workers.  I can assure you that most of these construction workers have never   even heard of Katz's, Carnegie  or 2nd Ave Deli.
                          Considering that NYC is a huge burger town, The Shake Shack would make much more sense in terms of popularity.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:World Trade Center - 1st Food Establishment Tue, 12/29/09 2:17 PM (permalink)
                            I think this is a great idea, and is a benefit for all involved.  Seriously, no mom and pop establishment in the world could ever pull this off.  Subway is probably losing money on the venture, but is thrilled to do it for the exposure.  And I'm absolutley certain that the majority of the workers are happy that they can get a decent, cheap lunch without leaving the site.  Katz's?  Carnegie?  Really?  You think those workers want to spend $15-$18 on a sandwich?  Shake Shack?  Come on.  It takes 30 minutes to get a burger at their brick-and-mortar shops.  And does anyone think that construction workers generally give a crap about grass fed LaFrida Beef and artisinal breads?  

I personally don't eat at Subway, but all the midtowns shops are jammed to the gills every lunch hour.  Obviously someone likes it.  I think the portable Subway is a fine idea, and a great symbol of American ingenuity. 

On a side note, as a New Yorker, it is about freaking time that something is finally rising from that horrifying hole in the ground.  It's been over 8 years- let's GO!  Downtown Manhattan needs those businesses back!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com