World's Best Pizza

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: World's Best Pizza 2005/12/15 12:02:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Salustra

quote:
Originally posted by i_crave_mountain_dew

bananna pizza - margarita pizza with bannanas

Am I the only for whom this explanation explained nothing?
The alcohol references make me wonder if this is a drink, not a food?????
Or maybe someone is just yanking our collective chain?

A Margherita pizza is a traditional pie using a strong flour topped with a sauce of tomatoes with garlic and basil, olive oil, mozzarella and possibly Parmesan. The addition of banana is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

And yes, I do think there is an attempt at chain-yanking going on here. pb
i_crave_mountain_dew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: World's Best Pizza 2005/12/15 12:20:15 (permalink)
1)mehh, a margarita in england is a plain cheese and tommoato pizza
2) cudnt put i was frm england because i wasnt given an option in tht drop down menu thingy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
RE: World's Best Pizza 2005/12/15 15:38:31 (permalink)
I find myself laughing and shaking my head at the current turn in this thread. I'm just not sure what to make of it. Dew, your explanation opens up more questions than it answers.

F'rinstance: Who thought to put bananas on a margherita pizza? Why would someone think to put bananas on a margherita pizza(I think the popular American habit of putting pineapple on a pizza is revolting)? Was procuring a banana pizza your sole reason for going to Ireland? Are banana pizzas not available in England? Finally, you say that "England" was not an "option in tht drop down menu thingy", so tell me, of all the cool places you could have pretended to be from in these United States, why in heaven's name did you pick Tampa, Florida? No offense, Floridians.

Still, just asking, not judging.

Well, maybe a little.
jbbohland
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: World's Best Pizza 2005/12/15 16:28:18 (permalink)
Fieldthistle which Luigi's do you work at? The one downtown or the old original. I used to work there back in the late 80's early 90's. The pizza there is so addictive. Nothing like a good crew pie at the end of the night and before a night of beer drinking in the back room.
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: World's Best Pizza 2005/12/17 22:42:58 (permalink)
We just had a new Luigis open up right here in little Kaukauna where Dominos used to be. I know the owners from their last buisness in Appleton called Nick and Gios. They are from Italy and they make a darn nice pizza. And a lot of other Italian dishes and appitizers.
kidtcha
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: World's Best Pizza 2005/12/27 22:20:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Went to Crozet Pizza last Saturday for lunch. For a few minutes we were the only customers in the place. They start taking reservations at 3. No question, they make a very good pizza, and put lots of care and good ingredients into each pie, but World's Best. Not in my book.

But I surely would have been a regular customer if they were there when I worked in Crozet over 30 years ago.

What did you do down in Crozet over 30 years ago? It felt like we were totally in the boonies when we drove down there!
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: World's Best Pizza 2005/12/29 05:12:14 (permalink)
Kid, I was just out of college (UVa, about 20 minutes away) and I worked as a cost accountant at Morton Frozen Foods, makers of frozen mini donuts and pot pies. At that time they were owned by ITT Continental Baking Co., the makers of Wonder Bread. I know for sure they are not in Crozet anymore, as the building now has another use, but don't know if the company is still in business. I'll admit I don't look in the frozen pot pie case at the grocery store. I could work there, and still hang out with my college buddies. It was a stepping stone to the real world.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/01/01 12:18:41 (permalink)
Jersey Question
While my current favorite pizza destination is The Good Times Cafe, Hinesburg, Vermont, I've no real favorites in Jersey, once the land of great pizza.

I'm aware there are a couple of pizza places in Trenton that are quite legendary, however, they are fraught with long waits, liturgy and it's a bit to travel.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on who's serving the best pizza in NJ these days and why. If it's in Central Jersey, all the better.
The Bear
Burgermeister
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/02/13 23:51:08 (permalink)
Best pizza?

That's easy:

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/index.html

Next question?

BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/03/06 10:50:19 (permalink)
I'm not sure which of many pizza places that I've been to that I would nominate as the best, but one in particular is very unique and I would highly recommend if you should ever be traveling through southwest Michigan. There is a very small group of loosely affiliated pizza places called "Fricano's" which make a wafer-thin crust pizza that I've found to be very tasty and very different from any others.

Their first and best location is a tavern in Grand Haven, MI, but they have places in Holland, Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, MI, too. They advertise that their pizza is "the original and most famous pizza in Michigan," serve only ONE size pizza (12"), and you get to choose from only 5 ingredients to put in any combination on the pizza. I don't get a chance to go there very much (and when I do it's generally at the Kalamazoo suburban location that has a full menu and more than 5 incredients) but I've found their pizza to be outstanding. Suggest you request extra sauce and ask them to cook it extra well done to ensure crispness. See their website at http://www.fricanospizza.com. Warning: the pictures of their pizzas can make your very hungry.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/03/13 15:21:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Burgermeister

Best pizza?

That's easy:

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/index.html

Next question?

Hey...this is today!

Who will be the first to file a report??

jchiszar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/03/14 16:44:38 (permalink)
Rocco's in South Bend, IN. is by far my favourite. I've been going there for most of my 50 years on this earth. It's the benchmark in my mind. Whenever I get back there, my family makes it a point to go.

It's a Notre Dame eatery and should be on anyone's list who gets to South Bend. I think they have other items on the menu but I have never had anything but a pie.
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/03/15 04:36:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Jersey Question
While my current favorite pizza destination is The Good Times Cafe, Hinesburg, Vermont, I've no real favorites in Jersey, once the land of great pizza.

I'm aware there are a couple of pizza places in Trenton that are quite legendary, however, they are fraught with long waits, liturgy and it's a bit to travel.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on who's serving the best pizza in NJ these days and why. If it's in Central Jersey, all the better.
The Bear

Federici's in Freehold. If you like New Haven style thin crust you'll LOVE Federici's. To paraphrase Holly Moore, if I find myself within a two hundred mile radius of Freehold I'm going to figure out a way to get a Federici's pizza.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/09 00:15:17 (permalink)
I hate when people come out with the Best Pizza lists....its all based on what style of pizza you grew up with as well as personal tastes. One of my favorites is Regina in Boston, but that is based on my own personal preferences. Pepe's is great as well....add to the list Santarpio's...the list could go on. I do have to say one thing though......go to some of the old coal fire pie joints in Brooklyn and tell them that the pizza in VA is better & you will hear them laughing for miles.
dougtill
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/13 11:49:16 (permalink)
The world's best Pizza is made at a small roadside tavern in South West Michigan called DiMaggios. It is on Blue Star Hwy. between Benton Harbor and South Haven right off I-196 exit 7. They make their own sauce and their cheese and toppings are the best I have ever eaten anywhere. About once a week we drive 45 miles from Kalamazoo to get a pizza there because we can't find any in Kalamazoo that even comes close. We tried Fricano's in Kalamazoo but were very disappointed with their "world famous crust". Also the service was really poor.
dews
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/14 13:33:27 (permalink)
Chef Boy-ar-dee crust mix my home made sauce, morel mushrooms, thin sliced poterhouse, t-bone, or prime rib,mozzorella, SHAVED parmesagn cheese's this is almost better cold that hot !!!!!!
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/25 12:49:50 (permalink)
I've been to DiMaggio's small roadside tavern in southwest Michigan many times. It is just a plain, nothing fancy place, which is kind of nice. They are definitely one of the better pizza places in the area. The Fricano's restaurant and pizzeria in Alamo just northwest of Kalamazoo is a great restaurant in my estimation serving a fantastic ultra thin crust pizza that is unlike any I've ever had (save at some of their other locations). To get it crisp, tho, you have to order it extra well done. The service from the waitpersons on the many occassions that I've been there -- contrary to a report above -- has always been efficient, polite, attentive and above average.
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/25 13:17:55 (permalink)
People, people, 2 words- SALLY'S PEPE'S. sorry, thanks, play again. enjoy frankbooth
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/25 13:54:24 (permalink)
When I was a kid in the 50s, there was a little bar next to the RR tracks underneath an old hotel/boarding house. It was called "Brunos."
I can still taste that thin crust, tomato sauce and loads of real mozzarella baked to crispy perfection.
Every so often my dad would bring one home on payday. I ate those things all through my childhood till I left home. . . nothing but cheese and sauce. A real pizza pie.
Yea, those were the best pizzas in the world!!
janisj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/27 15:39:21 (permalink)
DiMaggio's in Michigan is one of our best joints for pizza, been there lots of times and never been dissapointed.... you need to check it out.
We've started to make our own, found some nice recipes on http://www.recipepizza.com - would love to hear some other recipes to try.
porkbeaks
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/05/27 17:16:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by janisj

DiMaggio's in Michigan is one of our best joints for pizza, been there lots of times and never been dissapointed.... you need to check it out.
We've started to make our own, found some nice recipes on http://www.recipepizza.com - would love to hear some other recipes to try.

Try this link for everything you ever wanted to know about making your own pizza. pb http://www.pizzamaking.com/
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/06/02 11:47:08 (permalink)
Back on my soap box.

Want the BEST pizza on the planet, build anyone of the below. Some are expensive, some cost nothing more than time and a few found bricks.

http://www.innerexplorations.com/simpletext/oven.htm

http://mha-net.org/msb/html/bakeov02.htm I built this one since NC dirt is basically nothing but red clay anyway. Actually better for bread than pizza but still does a good job on pizza.

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/home/oven.html I recommend this onee if you are willing to fork over the bucks for materials. I helped build one of these a few years ago and they are great for both bread and pizza.

http://www.avalonrecords.com/brickoven/buterasoven.html If you want a Caddie oven.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/06/02 12:50:54 (permalink)
I'm not sure if they'd let me build one of those in my "backyard." open flames + lots of rowhouse = dangerous proposition. But, hey, my neighbor has a kickin' smoker in his driveway, so, maybe, maybe.

porkbeaks
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/06/02 12:57:33 (permalink)
World's best pizza? Best pizza on the planet? Who the hell knows what that is?
I do know that with a good dough and sauce recipe, decent cheese, a pizza stone, and an electric oven that can reach a temp of 500°, anyone can make one that will be better than 99% of what you buy. Kinda like barbecued ribs; a propane grill with some wood smoke can do an excellent job on a small amount but, if you want to cook for a crowd (pizza or bbq), you do need something bigger. jmho, pb
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1459
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/06/02 13:32:43 (permalink)
The best Pizza in the U.S.A. is at Lombardi's in New York. Authentic Italian pizza just like in Old Napoli!! The margarita is a wonder unto itself. By Margarita I mean nothing but Fresh Mozzerla cheese, Fresh Ripe Tomatoes, and Fresh Picked Basil. Maybe a little fresh ground pepper and salt.
brewdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/06/16 00:43:35 (permalink)
just had crozet pizza over the weekend - a solid eastern style pie with thin charry crust and some quality toppings. not the world's best but mighty good.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/06/17 17:48:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

The best Pizza in the U.S.A. is at Lombardi's in New York. Authentic Italian pizza just like in Old Napoli!! The margarita is a wonder unto itself. By Margarita I mean nothing but Fresh Mozzerla cheese, Fresh Ripe Tomatoes, and Fresh Picked Basil. Maybe a little fresh ground pepper and salt.

I found their pizza to be a bit bland, I'll take Frank Pepe's any day over Lomabardi's.
nibianc2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/07/24 03:11:53 (permalink)
The worlds best pizza is L&B's Spumoni Garden Brooklyn NY. My home town.
robfwoods
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/08/31 03:46:05 (permalink)
Is anyone aware of real pizza in SE Michigan? Just visited again and since I really think only thin crust pizza is pizza (deep dish is a modified tomato and cheese open-faced sandwich) and had Cottage Inn 'thin crust'

Cottage Inn - like Domino's and Little Caesar's and the AWFUL PapaJohn (StL based) cover the Midwest with PRE-baked thin crusts which could really be used for 'packing cardboard' (Domino's does it nationwide). The sauce on Cottage Inn is flavored tomato paste.

BAD!!!!

I'm for the John's (NY), Lombardi's 'types' - and probably New Haven-type from what I've heard - and the real Neapolitan pizza which I really like almost no matter where you go in Italy.

Anyhow - is there a breath of life re such pizza anywhere in the Detroit-Ann Arbor area?
lucius13
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: World's Best Pizza 2006/08/31 04:26:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kidtcha

A friend of mine hear that Fodor's named Cozet Pizza in Cozet, VA the Best Pizza in the world. We went down to Cozet, a small town just west of Charlottesville, and tried it out. The place is so small and so popular we had to make reservations. The pizza WAS very good, I'm not sure if it is the world's best, I haven't been to Italy to try the pizza there among other places, but it was a nice idea for a road trip. Has anyone here ever heard of Cozet Pizza?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1