Worst BBQ in North Carolina

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2004/04/19 18:42:50 (permalink)

Worst BBQ in North Carolina

I know this seems strange as a post but after several "near" misses with Q, it's time to speak my mind about some bad BBQ in this here state.

I was raised around pig pickings and know all about cooking pig. My buddy Chip and I make some of the best Q around and that's the honest truth. That happens when it is part of your childhood.

No certain order, just below par or plain old bad Q to me:
A - King's in Kinston: Been going down hill for 10 years and not about to change.
B - Q Shack in Raleigh: It just tasted bad to us, sauce was decent but the meat had a burnt taste which meant it was cooked over a flame, not smoldering embers. Also the side orders were just nasty.
C - Allen & Son in Chapel Hill: You guys can praise them all you want but that was some of the highest priced low quality pig I have ever put in my mouth. My wife actually gave me a hardtime for driving 45 minutes each way to pick it up.

Hope I didn't upset too many of you with this.

43 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/19 19:49:57 (permalink)
    I really appreciate your report on less than desirable experiences at any place. I only report on positive experiences as I really hate to talk about bad restaurant taste but those of you who do report are a valuable source of folks who visit places that keep us from wasting our time.

Thanks for your report.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/19 21:40:38 (permalink)
    Which Allen & Son did you visit. They have been under separate ownership for sometime now. One is a log burner and the other cooks with gas.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/19 23:13:17 (permalink)
    Sundancer thanks for the support as I am sure someone up here will flame me before it is over.

Brent it was the log burner location on 86 just east of Chapel Hill. I have to admit it was a bad meal all around. Everything was below what we expected including the greasy hush puppies that had a load of old oil soaked up in them. Maybe it was just a bad day, but they were not slammed and the food just was plain ol' awful to us.

Dennis
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/20 08:56:15 (permalink)
    I, too, have caught some bad meals at Allen & Son. But I have also had some fine Q there. They ARE inconsistent. I wouldn't make a special effort on the 50-50 chance for good Q unless I just happen to be passing within 10 miles when I'm hungry for Q and I'm not going to be traveling the extra 50 miles by "Stamey's" in Greensboro or 80 miles to "Wilber's" in Goldsboro or "Lexington # 1" in Lexington.
    I usually prefer to go to "Zack's" in Burlington for a few hot dogs, or to "Big Ed's" in Raleigh, "Mrs Dipps" in Chapel Hill or "Bullock's" in Durham for southern country food.
    Penoose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/22 14:35:25 (permalink)
    You really disliked Allen and Sons? I can only assume you had a much different eating experience than I did. While the portions were a bit large (who really eats 15+ hushpuppies??), the "Stew and Q" were both excellent. I found the meat to be just a notch below Lexington #1 in terms of quality; indescribably tender.

I might be inclined to attribute this to my northern taste buds, but I've eaten a LOT of BBQ, including 5-6 places in NC alone. The only subpar BBQ I had in NC was at Bubba's in the Outer Banks, which was overpriced and dry.

P.j.

hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/22 21:22:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    I might be inclined to attribute this to my northern taste buds, but I've eaten a LOT of BBQ, including 5-6 places in NC alone. The only subpar BBQ I had in NC was at Bubba's in the Outer Banks, which was overpriced and dry.

Ah, thank you! We went to OBX twice last year (once on our honeymoon when we were evacuated after 36 hours because Isabel was on her way) and the first place we ate was at Bubba's. What a huge disappointment! The staff was surly, the food overpriced, and everything was bleh and dry and dull. After all the talk I was expecting much, much more.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/22 22:32:14 (permalink)
    We are actually going down to the Outer Banks for the weekend. I may scout around and see what I can find. Any options besides Bubba's? We are going to be staying on Ocracoke Island in the Village.

Dennis
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/22 22:46:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

We are actually going down to the Outer Banks for the weekend. I may scout around and see what I can find. Any options besides Bubba's? We are going to be staying on Ocracoke Island in the Village.

Unfortunately, our first visit was a short one over a weekend and then we had the hurricane-shortened trip that lasted a whopping 36 hours. The only other place we got to try was a place called Channel Bass down near Hatteras, but I think last summer was actually the final summer they were going to be open. A shame, too, 'cause it was a nice, laid back place that reminded us of my wife's family's place on LBI. Good seafood chowder, cold Bass and good stuffed flounder. Up by the lighthouse was a place called Uncle Ed's (I think) that had very good sundaes but I don't know if they'll be open yet. We're going to try and go down again in September for our anniversary so I'll be curious what you have to report back!
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/22 22:48:37 (permalink)
    Bubba's has the right hickory smell when you drive past their original place (Frisco?), but it's downhill from there. Not good. The Avon store, and their steamtable stuff, is even worse. It's hard to call their product NC bbq. That nasty cornstarch sauce they have is (expletives deleted). The only other game on the Outer Banks is Pigman, up in Kill Devil Hills. Sort of ok for bbq and hushpuppies. My wife likes their little country ham rolls. I think they stretched a bit when they tried bbq yellowfin tuna.
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/23 09:39:54 (permalink)
    That's good to know. I think my in-laws recommended Pigman, but I don't know how critical they can be. Our first Bubba's experience was so disappointing that we never even ventured into the one in Avon. Glad to hear we made the right decision.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4561
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/23 10:17:43 (permalink)
    Actually, there is a place called Jockey's Ribs that is supposed to be a very, very good BBQ place, albeit it is well known to the locals and not the tourists, and off the main highway. In Kill Devil Hills or Nag's head, I believe.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/23 10:32:53 (permalink)
    Jockey's Ribs, in Nags Head, gets good reviews, but it is more a Tony Roma kind of place, compared with real NC bbq.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/23 18:22:06 (permalink)
    They are more well none for their ribs than anything else. We may try them this weekend.

Dennis
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/24 08:49:35 (permalink)
    Hey!You are on the OBX!Eat what you are suppose to eat,Fresh NC seafood!There is no BBQ on the Banks worth a hoot.Tuna,Shrimp Oysters ,Scallops and crabcakes.Check out Howards Pub on Ocrakoe for decent food and great beer choices.Bubbas BBQ what a joke.It was bad twenty years ago and its still bad today!At least they are consistant.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/24 10:50:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

Hey!You are on the OBX!Eat what you are suppose to eat,Fresh NC seafood!There is no BBQ on the Banks worth a hoot.Tuna,Shrimp Oysters ,Scallops and crabcakes.Check out Howards Pub on Ocrakoe for decent food and great beer choices.Bubbas BBQ what a joke.It was bad twenty years ago and its still bad today!At least they are consistant.

AMEN!!

North Carolinians who live inland eat pork just because the ocean is too far to walk to get the oysters, flounder and "Calabash" shrimp. No self respecting restauranteur would bring pig onto the island when there is such an abundance of the best seafood the world has to offer.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/25 21:34:35 (permalink)
    Alright Hillbilly and Jellybear...LOL. We actually ate at Quaterdeck in Frisco Saturday night and Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe today. Both meals were out of this world.
    Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/26 22:30:16 (permalink)
    Every trip I make to OBX always includes a meal at Lone Cedar... Enjoy their crabcakes!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4561
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/26 22:48:46 (permalink)
    Where on OBX is Lone Cedar?

I don't recall that one from my trip (during which we visited everything from Duck/Corolla to Ocracoke) a couple years back. Wish I had known about the place in Frisco, we were based in Avon and Frisco is not too far off.
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 08:52:49 (permalink)
    This is a great thread... writing all these down in advance of our next trip down later this year!
    brant1shot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 09:20:11 (permalink)
    For good BBQ in Northeastern NC, try Lane's BBQ in Edenton.We started getting our'BBQ fix" after our favorite restaurant, Simp's ,near Roper closed several years ago.
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 10:18:15 (permalink)
    I had really bad BBQ on our way back to Lake Nantahalia from Ashevile. Can't rememeber the town, but is there any good Q in the Smoky Mtn. area ?
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 10:43:31 (permalink)
    In Dillsboro, there is a place called the Dillsboro Smokehouse that has pretty good barbecue. They offer ribs, pork and beef barbecue and chicken. They also have a variety of sauces on the table so that you can choose the kind that you prefer
    quote:
    Originally posted by tonemonster2

I had really bad BBQ on our way back to Lake Nantahalia from Ashevile. Can't rememeber the town, but is there any good Q in the Smoky Mtn. area ?
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 11:20:00 (permalink)
    Actually , I think that was the place !
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 11:38:00 (permalink)
    Heres a tip if you want some good cue.Take a pork shoulder and put your favorite rub onit and stick it in a 325 oven for about six hours then put it on the grill with charcoals and a lid and let it sit till the coals go out ,take it off and chop it up sprinle with basic sauce of vinegar and crushed red pepper and you will have some of the best BBQ you ever put in your mouth!The reason I like to put it in the oven is to make sure it gets good and done and by throwing it on the grill gives it the smokey flaor.It works trust me.If it looks too dark on the outside turn oven down to 250-275 makes the best sandwiches!
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 16:53:36 (permalink)
    Hoping this post helps-Just returned from my honeymoon, and the last day we spent on OBX was the 25th to do a drive through and a little lighthouse hunting-last meal on the OBX was at the Corolla Village BBQ, located in a restored set of shops next to the Currituck Lighthouse.
    All this business has posted on Rt 12 is a small white sandwich board sign that reads "NC BBQ" with a pig, and an arrow to the white and green trimmed shops.
    This place is take-out only, white picnic tables out front.
    It was the best BBQ chicken we have had in ages, and only the potato salad was not made there.
    The BBQ beans were a wonderful cross between New England style (molasses and brown sugar) and southern style-sweet, yet loaded with lima beans and onions)
    He offers a vinegar based red sauce for his pulled pork, and offers sandwiches topped with cole slaw (unheard of here in the north), so we felt it was authentic NC BBQ.
    I haven't downloaded our pictures yet from the camera, but I will post one of Corolla Village BBQ ASAP.
    DaveM
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 17:06:10 (permalink)
    Drove by Bubba's in 2 locations.
    Drove by Pigman's.
    Drove by Jockey's Ribs-it appears to be more like Tony Roma's.
    Corolla Village BBQ apperas to be the real thing.
    Howard's Pub on Ocracoke Island is an absolute oasis-great burgers and fries, a huge deck and screenporch, a huge beer selection, and open till 2 AM every night. Had a great meal there after a windblown ferry ride from Cedar Island (15 knot winds dropped the temps to 50 degrees.)(April 24th)
    Will be doing a honeymoon roadfood forum post-watch for it-Northern VA to the OBX.
    DaveM
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 17:36:55 (permalink)
    Okracoke got hit hard by Hurricane Isabel last year. One of the big questions on all the fishing boards was, "Did Howard's Pub make it?" Highly regarded.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/27 19:39:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DaveM

Drove by Bubba's in 2 locations.
    Drove by Pigman's.
    Drove by Jockey's Ribs-it appears to be more like Tony Roma's.
    Corolla Village BBQ apperas to be the real thing.
    Howard's Pub on Ocracoke Island is an absolute oasis-great burgers and fries, a huge deck and screenporch, a huge beer selection, and open till 2 AM every night. Had a great meal there after a windblown ferry ride from Cedar Island (15 knot winds dropped the temps to 50 degrees.)(April 24th)
    Will be doing a honeymoon roadfood forum post-watch for it-Northern VA to the OBX.
    DaveM

Dave, we stayed less than 200 yards away from Howard's Pub this past weekend. It was a B&B called Pelican Lodge, a little run down looking on theoutside but the rooms were great. We had a private balcony and was really nice.

Yes the ferry rides were windy on Saturday (24th) but Sunday was great. For seafood go to the Quarterdeck in Frisco, incredible food and portions.

Dennis
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Worst BBQ in North Carolina 2004/04/28 00:17:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DaveM

Drove by Pigman's.

This was a good move. We ate there once. ONCE! Worst mistake of that vacation.
    Although it isn't BBQ, if you're in the Banks, a nice, unassuming place to eat is the Goombay Cafe. We've eaten there twice now on two different trips and it was great both times. The Tuna Rueben was incredible, and I even managed to get my kids to try my Alligator appetizer. Well worth looking up and the decor has to be seen to be believed. It's like a Jimmy Buffett acid trip.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1