Hot!Worst Fast Food Chains

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8669
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/04 09:52:34 (permalink)
Sonic's food is awful. Papa Johns pizza just isnt good.
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1042
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/04 20:01:23 (permalink)
chewingthefat
Pappa John's, absolute worst Pizza I've ever had!

That's funny, when we lived in Bensalem PA one of our favorite deliveries was Papa Johns with black olives, sausage and green peppers.

cementhead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/04 22:01:08 (permalink)
I stopped at the same KFC twice in the past week. First visit I got chicken strips, potato wedges, soda and a cookie for $5. Everything seemed freshly cooked and I was pleased with the quality and value. Second visit I ordered the same and everything seemed like it was sitting under the heat lamp for 5 hours. Even the Pepsi was flat. Timing is everything. Problem is, both visits were roughly the same time of day.
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/20 22:52:53 (permalink)
Dunkin Donuts. I do not understand the attraction.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/22 10:14:44 (permalink)
The problem with any chain of restaurants is that they try to maintain the unattainable: cookie cutter predictability.  Due to fluctuations with human employees who have widely divergent abilities in maintaining efficiency, the expectation that we expect from chain restaurants just can't be done with any regularity.  But the chains advertise themselves as places where regular efficiency is expected, so they are the masters of their own fate when they fall down on the job.  A single manager can make or break a chain's aura of predictability.  And so can a single employee.  After a while, the public gets fed up with poor service, sales drop to unsustainable levels, and that particular restaurant link of the chain closes.

As for the food itself, most chain restaurants use poor materials.  The upper echelon chains are a bit better in this regard, but not that much so.

This brings me to Shoney's.  It started off well decades ago, but little by little over the years, it's quality has dropped.  The decision to use poorer quality materials (for most if not all of its products) has resulted in uniform sales decline for the whole chain.  Company executives say something will be done, that improvements will be made, but the materials used to prepare their products never changes.  It would seem to me that they would get a clue and do something about it, but I guess there's more to the story than meets the eye.  I'd like to know what it is.

post edited by Louis - 2014/09/25 09:06:28
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1076
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/22 12:58:36 (permalink)
Haven't eaten at those places in ages.With all the mexican restaurants by me,like Garcia's and Taco Cabana, and Mama Margie's no need to go to Taco Bell.Years ago they were decent,but they've gone cheap. 
KFC was good years ago,but mama made fried chicken at home.If she or daddy didn't fell like making it,then we went to either KFC or Church's ,but mainly KFC. The original location of the KFC in Universal City had the animal shelter and a little family cemetery plot behind it.
Burger King is building a place in Live Oak,and going in next to it is a place called %4th St.Bar and Grill which serves artisinal beers and has food. Closests Burger King is out by Rolling Oaks Mall in Northeast San Antonio.
Don't eat at Shoney's  or Denney's.
I'm trying to loose weight,plus I'm tired of the same old stuff.CHEAPER for me to eat at home.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 286
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/22 16:48:28 (permalink)
waltpiii
Here in Connecticut, the worst pizza is Papa John's or Papa Geno's.  The worst burger is Burger King.  The worst hot dog is Sonic.

You know, I've actually been curious about Papa Gino's since I first saw one near the Bradley airport, just because I've never had it before and New Englanders do seem to mention it a lot.  Since it's a regional chain, I figure it has to be better than any of the national chains at least...
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 11:03:42 (permalink)
stevep

I agree 100% even though its sacrilegious to bash DD's here in New England.

DD coffee = dishwater
DD donuts = you gotta be kidding
DD breakfast sandwiches etc = mediocre to poor
DD muffins = see comment for donuts

Their hot tea and iced tea are ok.

Actually I'm glad their donuts and baked goods are not worth eating.  Where they have shops every 1/4 mile around here, I would weigh 300 pounds if they were actually tasty.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 11:04:49 (permalink)
Ketteract
waltpiii
Here in Connecticut, the worst pizza is Papa John's or Papa Geno's.  The worst burger is Burger King.  The worst hot dog is Sonic.

You know, I've actually been curious about Papa Gino's since I first saw one near the Bradley airport, just because I've never had it before and New Englanders do seem to mention it a lot.  Since it's a regional chain, I figure it has to be better than any of the national chains at least...

Papa Ginos is fair to good, not anything special.  They have actually improved their pizza a bit in recent years but nothing memorable.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 12:23:52 (permalink)
Wistah
stevep

DD coffee = dishwater

Actually I'm glad their donuts and baked goods are not worth eating.  Where they have shops every 1/4 mile around here, I would weigh 300 pounds if they were actually tasty.

One thing I'll say is that, years ago, when I lived in north Kansas City and I wanted a bagel, my only options other than the grocery store were Einstein Bros. or Starbucks, both several minutes away.  Here in the East, Dunkin' Donuts is a virus and I can get a bagel anytime I want.  Not a great bagel, but something better than frozen Lender's at least.  Their cream cheese is too salty for me though.

Their breakfast sandwiches are a joke compared to McD's.  It's funny to think of tiers of quality when we're talking about fast food, but McD's really does have breakfast nailed down compared to the other big chains.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18895
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 12:43:12 (permalink)
Ah, you should have tasted Lender's bagels before they went into the frozen bagel business.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8333
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 15:37:07 (permalink)
While traveling across the country sometimes a chain restaurant is the city's best food offer.  It's good to know how to rate them if you're too tired to drive to the next city 'just in case'.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 16:51:38 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Ah, you should have tasted Lender's bagels before they went into the frozen bagel business.

Wikipedia claims Lender's first went to frozen bagels in 1954.  Although even then I'm sure they were better than they are now...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 17:49:05 (permalink)
Wikipedia is full of it. Lender's didn't start freezing their bagels till the '60s, and when they did they were freezing their regular bagels for nearby delivery, not the little (awful) mass produced versions you find in stores today.
stevep
Hamburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 20:58:11 (permalink)
Wistah
stevep

DD coffee = dishwater

Wow, a new englander who agrees with me! We are definitely the anomaly; DD is on every corner out here, and people line up at every one of them every day.

Another thing I don't like is how you can't walk out of DD without reeking of bagels. I can't go to one before I visit a customer for that reason. Same with Subway.
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1038
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 21:21:45 (permalink)
I'll occasionally get an iced tea at DD, far better than the battery acid they serve at Tim Horton's. As for the proliferation of them in the east, I have a choice of 4 on my way to work. Any route I can take, there's a DD.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 21:44:24 (permalink)
stevep
Wistah
stevep

DD coffee = dishwater

Wow, a new englander who agrees with me! We are definitely the anomaly; DD is on every corner out here, and people line up at every one of them every day.

Another thing I don't like is how you can't walk out of DD without reeking of bagels. I can't go to one before I visit a customer for that reason. Same with Subway.

Steve;

We have to agree since we have the same name.  My first name is Steve and the first letter of my last name is P.  So I am also SteveP.

Years ago it became common for DD to have shops directly across the road from each other, one to get the traffic in each direction. Seeing that no longer surprises me.

Now I have actually started to see situations with two DDs within sight of each other (like 1/10 of a mile) on the SAME side of the road.

Where will this end?  Will towns have to start having special DD zoning ordinances?
Wistah
Cheeseburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 21:45:48 (permalink)
Ketteract
Wistah
stevep

DD coffee = dishwater

One thing I'll say is that, years ago, when I lived in north Kansas City and I wanted a bagel, my only options other than the grocery store were Einstein Bros. or Starbucks, both several minutes away.  Here in the East, Dunkin' Donuts is a virus and I can get a bagel anytime I want.  Not a great bagel, but something better than frozen Lender's at least.  Their cream cheese is too salty for me though.

Their breakfast sandwiches are a joke compared to McD's.  It's funny to think of tiers of quality when we're talking about fast food, but McD's really does have breakfast nailed down compared to the other big chains.

DD bagels are probably better than their other "baked" goods.  If you can get them to toast one properly.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2320
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 22:08:20 (permalink)
I want to say something on behalf of Denny's.  If you do much driving, you know that there is a Denny's at every Flying J truck stop in the country.Most of their food is forgettable, but their breakfast sandwich is very good.  It consists of bacon, ham, two slices of American cheese, and a real fried egg on an English muffin.  With a side of hash browns, it costs $3.99.  When one is driving a vehicle in excess of 70 feet in length, breakfast is hard to find, and this one is completely acceptable.  If only they knew how to make good coffee.
stevep
Hamburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/23 22:15:52 (permalink)
+1 to McD's breakfast sandwiches. I don't do breakfast on the road often, but when I do it's hard to beat a sausage egg cheese mcmuffin or biscuit if I'm starving and in a hurry (or nursing a hangover).
khayejao
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/24 07:54:16 (permalink)

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1344
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/24 08:48:10 (permalink)
WistahDD bagels are probably better than their other "baked" goods.  If you can get them to toast one properly.

I like the fact that Denny's offers a (small) plate of raw vegetables with ranch dressing on the side as a side dish choice.

Bart
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5216
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/24 09:13:03 (permalink)
Wistah
Will towns have to start having special DD zoning ordinances?

Well, most towns won't let you open a "gentlemen's club" just anywhere...
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1860
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/24 09:23:01 (permalink)
stevep

Blasphemy!  I only say that because growing up in rural Iowa in the '70's, it was a 25 minute drive into the closest town and DD was pretty much it for donuts unless you went to the grocery store for a box of food factory donuts.  DD for a 8 year old was a trip to glazed heaven.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8669
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/24 10:11:41 (permalink)
Have to agree with PP- while on the road, Denny's was one of the only choices for breakfast. The sandwich PP described is surprisingly good, as are the hashbrowns. I also didnt have a problem with their $2.00 biscuit and gravy and egg or hashbrown meal. Bob and I would each order one-one with egg, one with hashbrowns and split the aforementioned. For $4.00, it was decent.
And yes, Bart, I often got the veggie and ranch plate-always fresh and pretty good dressing!
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 245
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/24 22:22:51 (permalink)
when we lived in fairhaven ct in 1966-1967,my wife worked at lenders on post rd or orange post rd.she said they didn't freeze the bagels while she worked there.

Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/24 22:33:03 (permalink)
starfire62
when we lived in fairhaven ct in 1966-1967,my wife worked at lenders on post rd or orange post rd.she said they didn't freeze the bagels while she worked there.

I wonder if it was just, like, their central facility/market where they first tried using frozen bagels.  Logistically I doubt they would have even been able to implement it everywhere simultaneously.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/26 19:58:25 (permalink)
starfire62

That's the Boston Post Road (U.S. 1) in Orange. And she's right.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/28 10:05:25 (permalink)
The full quote:

Wikipedia
By the mid-1950s, the logistics of producing as many as 6,000 bagels for sale on Sunday morning, in contrast to relatively low activity the rest of the week, began to demand a solution. As a result, in 1954 Lender perfected a method of freezing the bagels, so that the labor could be spread more evenly throughout the week.[4] This was kept secret, but after two years, the bakery accidentally delivered the frozen bagels, and the secret was revealed. Customers were initially angry, but were won over, when they realized that these were the same bagels they had been satisfied with for the previous two years, and the New York Bagel Bakery started to market the frozen bagels, delivering them also outside of New Haven, for instance to resorts in the Catskills.[2]

That's a pretty vague timeline, but it seems like it took several years for them to spread frozen bagels outside their central area.  I'd be willing to bet that they were producing both fresh and frozen at the same time, but that fresh was still the default until frozen became logistically viable and widely accepted.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8333
Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/28 15:46:17 (permalink)
Fresh bagels in mass quantities hit the scene when friends of my parents, the Thompsons invented a huge machine that spit them out in quantity.

The Thompson type bagels should be sold to the chains that serve bagels.  Their breakfast traffic would multiply.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1