Hot!Worst Fast Food Chains

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2014/08/14 16:36:03 (permalink)

Worst Fast Food Chains

I see a lot of "best of" lists on this forum, so here's a "worst of" fast food chains...no real surprises here, but I've eaten at ALL of them at one time or another .
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Slideshow/2014/07/02/11-Worst-Fast-Food-Restaurants-America?page=10

59 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/14 19:31:00 (permalink)
    I find little to disagree with on that list, but Church's Chicken is OK. Not Popeye's good, but not run away from bad. Burger King on the other hand.....I'd starve before I ate there.
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/14 20:41:30 (permalink)
    People who use take-out or go through the drive thru are pretty much guaranteeing that when they open up what they got when they get home or back to the office, it's going to be sub-par.

I think most of the ff restaurants have some pretty good products and some not-so-good. For instance, the Sausage McMuffin at McD's is excellent.  Occasionally, I'll get a hankering for a Whopper.  I go into the store, order it the way I want it, and tell them to cook it fresh and not to microwave it.  I then eat it in the store before the wrapper has a chance to turn it into an homogenized mess.  I think the Fresco Chicken Taco at Taco Bell is excellent. 

The bottom line is that for me, it depends on what you order and whether or not you eat in or take out.  It's like daylight and dark.  Even then, I try not to have my expectations too high.  Afterall, it's still fast food.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/14 20:45:30 (permalink)
    There's quite a few more that could be added to the list!
    I'd give KFC a pass just because of their Pot Pie and substitute Arby's in it's place!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/14 21:30:35 (permalink)
    I'd put Arby's 1st!!!,,,,,,and Dbarro's is the LEAST bad of the other garbage chains listed for pizza!!
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 498
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/15 09:36:51 (permalink)
    Sonic needs to be on there - am a fan of the slushie, but their food is mostly terrible.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4326
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/17 10:03:45 (permalink)
    For me it's Burger King.  I have to go there once every five years just to see if it's as bad as my last visit.

And that's a shame.  Back in the 1960's their flame-broiled burgers were so good we travelled 20 miles to eat there!  "Something happened" circa 1980 and they became absolutely vile.
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/17 13:59:32 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    For me it's Burger King.  I have to go there once every five years just to see if it's as bad as my last visit.

And that's a shame.  Back in the 1960's their flame-broiled burgers were so good we travelled 20 miles to eat there!  "Something happened" circa 1980 and they became absolutely vile.

I agree. I used to love a whopper back in the 70's. There is a Burger King walking distance from my house in Herndon, but I only eat there as a "last resort" and come away wondering how such a huge franchise could be so lousy.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/18 12:46:48 (permalink)
    Pappa John's, absolute worst Pizza I've ever had!
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/18 14:44:26 (permalink)
    chewingthefat
    Pappa John's, absolute worst Pizza I've ever had!

I wouldn't say it's the worst I've had, but it's right up there. Pizza Hut is worse, in my opinion.

I agree with the previous comments that Burger King went south... however, I will stop some mornings if I need something quick, the sausage and cheese muffin and hash browns usually hit the spot. The Whopper is but a shadow of its former self.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 635
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/19 23:08:44 (permalink)
    I have no complaints with the list, but I have to add Wendy's. I've found that I just cant deal with any of their stuff anymore.  The burgers are so greasy, that the wrappers are saturated by the time you sit down with the tray.  Its like that at every location I've been to in the last couple years.  The change in their fries was for the worse too.  Now its just a container full of salt sticks.  Just cant do that place anymore.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1796
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/19 23:42:11 (permalink)
    tkitna
    I have no complaints with the list, but I have to add Wendy's. I've found that I just cant deal with any of their stuff anymore.  The burgers are so greasy, that the wrappers are saturated by the time you sit down with the tray.  Its like that at every location I've been to in the last couple years.  The change in their fries was for the worse too.  Now its just a container full of salt sticks.  Just cant do that place anymore.

I'm ok...just...about the food......but everytime I go thru the drive thru (about 8, diff locations), the order is wrong
    mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/20 01:07:27 (permalink)
    I have to agree with most on this list except for one. I have had pizza delivered to me from Dominos several times in the past year when I was out of town and I was really pleased with the pizza, subs and the service. I use to hate Dominos for years but here in NE Ohio and in Pigeon Forge Tn it was great for a chain restaurant! KFC definitely is just bad anymore and their restaurants need cleaned.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/20 06:52:46 (permalink)
    mountain traveler
    I have to agree with most on this list except for one. I have had pizza delivered to me from Dominos several times in the past year when I was out of town and I was really pleased with the pizza, subs and the service. I use to hate Dominos for years but here in NE Ohio and in Pigeon Forge Tn it was great for a chain restaurant! KFC definitely is just bad anymore and their restaurants need cleaned.

Darn -- haven't had Domino's in a long time.  Used to love them in the beginning, then they changed, several times, and we stopped.  But we were just in Pigeon Forge last week, and one night, really tired in the motel, thought about having them deliver.  Now I wish we had.

Instead, we wanted something local, so we roused ourselves and went out -- for pancakes!  (What is the thing with pancakes down there?)

mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/24 22:54:54 (permalink)
    easydoesit
    mountain traveler

Darn -- haven't had Domino's in a long time.  Used to love them in the beginning, then they changed, several times, and we stopped.  But we were just in Pigeon Forge last week, and one night, really tired in the motel, thought about having them deliver.  Now I wish we had.

Instead, we wanted something local, so we roused ourselves and went out -- for pancakes!  (What is the thing with pancakes down there?)

Good local restaurants are getting to be hard to find in Pigeon Forge. Mostly chains now with the exception of The Old Mill and the Log Cabin Pancake House. Applewood Farmhouse was really good in Sevierville. You have to go to Townsend or Wears Valley for more local choices. The best pancakes I ever had were in Abingdon Virginia at the now out of business Bonfire restaurant. I've been told that Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is the best though.
    post edited by mountain traveler - 2014/09/06 05:50:25
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1796
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/25 21:19:07 (permalink)
    A shame that whole area seemsto be getting more and more "honky-tonk".  What used to be a lovely area any time of year with great places to eat has become strip mall after strip mall of bleh foods and 24/7 "country Jamborees"  Cities, perhaps of their size, have been able to retain many great spots and allow new places to open and succeed, but outside of them, so many places seemed to have fallen into the wayside trench.  Nowadays, I'd take the West Coast of FL over the East, Reno over las Vegas, off the beaten trail Cape Cod over rt 28 or 6A, etc ( and Gawd forbid Nantucket or the vineyard in the summer!!)

Nice to hear about the Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg...that may be the last remaining reason to drive through there!
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/27 06:36:02 (permalink)
    i worked at a burger king in 1980, and back then all of the food was pretty good except for the 'veal' parmagiana specialty sandwich..... i'm pretty sure it was canned dog food squished into a rectangle, frozen then breaded and fried on location. everyone on my shift did an un-official taste test, and none of us could identify what kind of meat it was....

the wierd thing that i never could understand was that burger king corporate demanded that the frozen fries had to be completely thawed before they could be fried and served to the customer. we would dump the frozen fries into baskets and let them sit for 2-3 hours, or longer... and when fried, the fries that were thawed were terrible, while the ones that we fried right out of the freezer were awesome....

back then, a cooked whopper patty was almost 6" in diameter. it sometimes hung out over the edge of the bun.

the original fish specialty sandwich was really damned good.. nothing like the current 'seafood substance' that they serve now....
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 294
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/27 09:06:57 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Davebassman

I agree. I used to love a whopper back in the 70's. There is a Burger King walking distance from my house in Herndon, but I only eat there as a "last resort" and come away wondering how such a huge franchise could be so lousy.

Here's a Burger King ad from 1966:

A new ad for comparison:

Looks like the bun used to have no sesame seeds, but other than that everything looks pretty much the same.  Obviously we're looking at ad pictures, though, so I'm curious what exactly has changed about the burger over the years?  It used to be better, I'm sure, but how, exactly?  
    mgyip
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/27 10:25:50 (permalink)
    marzsiti worked at a burger king in 1980, and back then all of the food was pretty good except for the 'veal' parmagiana specialty sandwich..... i'm pretty sure it was canned dog food squished into a rectangle, frozen then breaded and fried on location. everyone on my shift did an un-official taste test, and none of us could identify what kind of meat it was....

I vaguely remember that sandwich - mystery meat.  When I was in university (North Carolina State), they used a similar "patty" that put myself and several hundred of my closest friends in the infirmary with food poisoning...

Burger King restaurants, like Wendy's are very inconsistent.  Some restaurants have been refreshed and look nice while others have a lovely 1970s "vibe".  The biggest issue I've found with BK isn't their food as much as their locations which tend to be 3rd rate - probably owing to their position in the Fast Food pecking order.  As a result, the locations may look great but their staff are less than enthused because they're out of the way and underutilized compared to their competitors.  
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/27 11:30:40 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    MetroplexJim

Davebassman

A new ad for comparison:

Looks like the bun used to have no sesame seeds, but other than that everything looks pretty much the same.  Obviously we're looking at ad pictures, though, so I'm curious what exactly has changed about the burger over the years?  It used to be better, I'm sure, but how, exactly?  

Basically the whopper just isn't as big as it used to be. The patty is thinner and often overcooked. The preparation of the sandwich varies greatly from restaurant to restaurant. Sometime you get a whopper dripping with too much mayo and limp tomato & lettuce. Sometimes the buns seem a bit on the stale side and when the patty is overcooked, it is dry and all you taste is the charbroil. My problem with Burger King isn't necessarily the whopper, but the poor quality of just about everything else they serve. In addition, much the same as with McDonald's food, I know exactly what a Burger King meal will taste like before I ever get to the restaurant. I have to be really hungry and in a hurry to go there.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/27 13:20:01 (permalink)
    I think the biggest problem with the current BK is that they broil the patties and hold them and then when someone orders one they slap the burger together and microwave the whole thing, lettuce, tomato, mayo, bun and all.  At least thats the way my local one does it.

Fresh off the broiler and freshly assembled with no nuking, they might be better...but then again maybe not.

post edited by Wistah - 2014/08/27 13:22:38
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/08/27 14:34:40 (permalink)
    Wistah
    I think the biggest problem with the current BK is that they broil the patties and hold them and then when someone orders one they slap the burger together and microwave the whole thing, lettuce, tomato, mayo, bun and all.  At least thats the way my local one does it.

Fresh off the broiler and freshly assembled with no nuking, they might be better...but then again maybe not.

You are right. That's why when I get a hankering for a Whopper, I walk into the store, order it with the instructions to cook it fresh and to not nuke it. I then eat it in the store while it's still fresh.  And yes, it tastes very good.
    Rabkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/03 09:11:03 (permalink)
    Davebassman
    Ketteract
    MetroplexJim

Davebassman

A new ad for comparison:

Basically the whopper just isn't as big as it used to be. The patty is thinner and often overcooked.

Huh?  Am I missing something?  Take a look at both pics again.  Note:  The burger patties in each pic are the exact same thickness.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, as far as what is the worst fast food chain, it sort of depends on what criteria you're using to measure it by.  If you're talking about worst in terms of food, I'd have to go with either McDonald's (excluding breakfast, of course, which they REALLY should start serving, as in the WHOLE breakfast menu, at all times of the day and night) or KFC (I  *vastly* prefer Popeye's and Lee's).  On the other hand, if you're going by service, then I'd say the worst is Sonic, Steak-n-Shake, White Castle (and this one really hurts, as back when the local White Castle was at a different location in town [now long since occupied by a Walgreen's] and operated 24 hours a day, it was staffed by grizzled older women who actually gave a rat's behind about how they did their jobs, and as a result, the service was pretty dang great; then that location closed down to make way for the aforementioned Walgreen's, and a new one was built where the Dairy Queen that we used to have - and now don't - was located; now it is no longer open 24 hours, and it's staffed primarily by bored, attitude-laden twentysomethings, and as a result, service is largely now ABYSMAL).
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/03 11:25:51 (permalink)
    Rabkin
    Davebassman
    Ketteract
    MetroplexJim

Davebassman

A new ad for comparison:

Basically the whopper just isn't as big as it used to be. The patty is thinner and often overcooked.

Huh?  Am I missing something?  Take a look at both pics again.  Note:  The burger patties in each pic are the exact same thickness.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    As you mentioned, the pics are "ad pictures" and not to scale. I am quite convinced the Whopper is not a big as it used to be.

Rabkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/03 12:10:52 (permalink)
    Davebassman
    Rabkin
    Davebassman
    Ketteract
    MetroplexJim

Davebassman

A new ad for comparison:

As you mentioned, the pics are "ad pictures" and not to scale. I am quite convinced the Whopper is not a big as it used to be.

So, if I'm not mistaken, what you're saying is that, back in the sixties, Burger King used to make their burgers look smaller, thinner, and more anemic in ads than they were in real life, and that now they try to make their in-real-life-tiny Whopper burgers appear more robust in ads?  Is that about right?
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/03 14:04:39 (permalink)
    Rabkin
    Davebassman
    Rabkin
    Davebassman
    Ketteract
    MetroplexJim

Davebassman

A new ad for comparison:

So, if I'm not mistaken, what you're saying is that, back in the sixties, Burger King used to make their burgers look smaller, thinner, and more anemic in ads than they were in real life, and that now they try to make their in-real-life-tiny Whopper burgers appear more robust in ads?  Is that about right?

You are mistaken.That would not be about right. What I'm saying is that neither of those pictures accurately represent what an actual whopper looks like both in the 60's and today. Today, a whopper might resemble one of those pictures or it might look like a gooey mess of mayo, tomato lettuce. I still maintain that the whopper was a bigger burger in the 60's than it is today. That's my take on it and I'm sticking to it.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/03 16:12:11 (permalink)
    We have more Burger Kings in La Crosse than we do McDonalds, five to four.  Haven't been to a BK for several years, but today we took the pooch to the park and wanted something to eat while she is chasing squirrels, BK had a special 2 junior whoppers and two fries for 3.99, so we hit the drive-thru.

Not going back for another very long time, without doing, as some here have suggested, going inside and making a special order.

Both the fries and the burgers tasted good, and like they should, but both were so near lukewarm that they were not a pleasure to eat.  If that's the product they will deliver, we just don't want it.  And besides, the onions looked old, and the lettuce was skimpy.

Ironically, the wrapper on the burger said, "Made fresh for you."
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/03 16:46:14 (permalink)
    Here in Connecticut, the worst pizza is Papa John's or Papa Geno's.  The worst burger is Burger King.  The worst hot dog is Sonic.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re: Worst Fast Food Chains 2014/09/03 17:22:37 (permalink)
    With Burger King planning to move to Canada to avoid taxes, and their food sucking pretty badly regardless, my vote for worst fast food chain goes to Burger King

I'll go with Arby's and Taco Bell as a tie for second place
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1