Worst Potato Chips

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/13 21:17:25 (permalink)
Gibbles is an excellent chip for my money...wish I could find them around here. Some people may be turned off by the lard factor but I know of no tastier chip. As far as a health factor I do not think the lard is any worse than the partially hydrogenated trans-fats that all producers are trying to get rid of as it must be listed on the label now.

Potato chip producers are scrambling now to get an ideal fat that looks good on the label. Some have been more successful than others. The problem is what looks good on the label does not always taste good. It has been a major problem for them and they are still sorting it out.

Gibbles has only one product with the lard. It is Grandma Gibbles as I recall. It is the only one I really seek out...they are that tasty. In general I would also endorse Herrs potato chips. I do not like all their varieties but I do like the red hots as I am a fan of heat and the heat here is decent.

As far as I am concerned, if you want a great chip visit Pennsylvania, the small producers there are still creating great products. Get them now before they all disappear.

Pringles? Give me a break, even the best friend of agri-biz, the USDA will not allow them to be called chips as they are not. The official designation is potato crisps. I remember when Pringles was first introduced and at the time I thought it a sad harbinger of things to come. They were among the first products introduced to satisfy the manufacturer rather than the consumer. They epitomized the 1960s. A chip in a uniform canister that took up much less space in shipping and on supermarket shelves. In those days P & G was primarily a soap manufacturer, what better way to get rid of the excess fat on hand than to put it into an artificial crisp product. Even way back then Pringles tasted like soap and still does as far as I am concerned.

essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/13 23:09:15 (permalink)
evilpez, I'm pretty sure that I've wrote about those Hostess chips on this board before. I saw them once on vacation in Nova Scotia in the early 70s, and I never forgot them. In later years, after much recreational substance imbibement, I doubted my memory, thinking no such foulery could have ever existed. Thanks for helping me trust my sanity.

Ashphalt, State Line potato chips are truly food for the gods. I have spoken.
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/14 00:57:44 (permalink)
1. Pringles, any kind.
2. Any of Lay's chips made with olestra. Even without the celebrated side effects (if you don't know what I'm talkng about google "olestra" and "leakage" and that's all I'll say), I've rarely had any food that tasted more of preservatives.
chickinboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/15 15:10:13 (permalink)
Snyder's I think makes the worst chips i've ever tasted in my life. I had went to cleveland to visit some relatives. So I went to the corner store looking for Better Made BBQ chips. I found out they didn't sell them so I got a bag of Snyder's. The chips was so salty that your mouth felt like cement on a hot summer day. I ate them though because I was hungry
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/15 15:29:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cyrano
2. Any of Lay's chips made with olestra. Even without the celebrated side effects (if you don't know what I'm talkng about google "olestra" and "leakage" and that's all I'll say)

I googled it. Wow, that's really beat....
amandamichigan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/15 23:06:50 (permalink)
Anyone tried WOW! chips?
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/15 23:34:04 (permalink)

The worst potato chip is the one not eaten. You were saving the bag of chips. They were your favorite kind. It was a really big bag. You were really looking forward to eating them all, all by yourself...a really big bag of fresh chips. In fact, you had just opened the bag.

But then, whilst bringing from the counter the large bottle of Coke you had planned on devouring with the delicious, crispy, salty morsels while you watched your favorite movie---one with Sidney Greenstreet ---you let go the slippery bottle, its contents fiercely draining into the open potato chips bag. Ruined! Those are the worst potato chips.

Plus, its 3 A.M. Nothing's open where you live. The only other bit of food in your otherwise idyllic cabin in the woods, on the edge of a lake, is a frozen steak and a bottle of ketchup. Life is so hard. Oh, what to do, what to do?
The Bear

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/16 01:20:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Pringles. Bleah.

Best: Kettle Cracked Black Pepper ruffled style. Basicly, Kettle any style. Love them Kettles.
Do Pringles even qualify as chips? (Seriously! Aren't they called something else on the package?)
[url='http://www.zapps.com/']Zapp's[/url] are good, though the regular chios seem undersalted to me. Oddly, they make about the only "flavored" chips I like: what they describe as "CRACKED PEPPER AND SEA SALT - More than just salt and pepper, you get the great taste of onion, garlic, and a few other surprises, too."
offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/16 03:05:27 (permalink)
I tried the new Tostitos chili and lime and didn't like it, and threw out the bag (still full). Next I tried the Lays lime and black pepper thinking it would be better. Very unusual for me to throw out a full bag of potato chips too. They just don't taste good at all! I like the original Lay's and original Tostitos.
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/16 03:43:16 (permalink)
I think I had some Lance or Tom's from a vending machine sitting in the sun outside a service station once. You can imagine how awful those were but my award for worst goes to some of the flavored chips, especially jalapeno flavored. They're just ridiculously hot and leave a chemical burn in my mouth. There's another one by Zapp's that's called Crawtators I think which is like that.

I've generally found I don't like flavored chips; just give me some good old plain kettle chips - good and crunchy - and I'm satisfied.
sinkiller
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/18 10:01:11 (permalink)
I don't understand how Gibbles stays in business. They should have 1 flavor, named Greasy Trash.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/18 10:19:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rowsdower98

Pringles. They just taste fake, like imitation styrofoam based food. They are all too uniform. Just not interesting.

When Pringles first came out one of my Sister's high school hippie friends described them as "lined up like Nazis." I still think of that whenever I eat Pringles (which is about every 5 years). And, actually, they (at least used to) make one of the best Sour Cream and Onion flavors. Guess you need imitation flavor powder to complement the ersatz potato.
Mike Morgan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/30 14:31:31 (permalink)
Back to Gibbles. I found them in my local Publix, and immediately fell in love. Best potato chip I have ever eaten. Could be a little saltier, but they should be the greasy standard against which all other chips are measured. Love that lard!!!!!
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/30 14:49:09 (permalink)
Worst potato chip of all time has to be Troyer Farms potato chips. A horrible oily taste make this chip the worst of all time. I have noticed recently that Troyer Farm potato chip sections in all super markets in our area have been cut back to four feet or less.
Starlord
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/08/30 16:00:33 (permalink)
I have to agree on Pringle's. I have never been able to stand their crisps (interesting that in the UK, what we call chips, they call crisps, and what we call fries are their chips.) I tried Lay's Stax recently, and I agree, they beat Pringle's hands down.

When I was a kid in Indianapolis, we had a local brand, Chesty potato chips. They were really good, and I remember to this day their advertising hook line, "Untouched by human hands." We found a picture in our clip art file in art class, and married it to the Chesty name and slogan. Picture it, A chimpanzee with a bag of chips over the ad copy. Hilarious!

The best I can remember was a brand named Charles Chips. They had a truck that came around about every two weeks, with their chips in big cans. You paid $3 per can for any of their flavors, with a $2 deposit on the first can. Those chips were fantastic, but one week the truck stopped copming around, and we never got our deposit back, and were stuck with the last can we got.

The worst I ever had was a 25 cent bag of chips out of a Tom's machine in Georgia. I shudder to think of it to this day.
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/09/28 03:12:01 (permalink)
I hate Jays *shudders*
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/09/28 05:20:19 (permalink)
Utz. Like a palm full of greasy broken fingernails.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8498
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2006/09/28 08:27:33 (permalink)
I agree with dasl_4-Jays are just never good.....
corabeth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/01/30 11:11:57 (permalink)
The a worst is Pringles-chemical set in a can.

The best is Utz
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/01/30 13:19:59 (permalink)
While I enjoy Krunchers those Jays made by the same company have the strangest taste to me. It's a large regional company so evidently someone likes them, just not in our household.
pamelakrest
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/01/30 14:06:40 (permalink)
My son loves all the weird flavors that Doritos has came out with,his fav. is harbano(sp?)... I think they are yuck and my tongue on fire!! I am a plain chip kinda girl...no fuss...no muss lolzzz Well...Lays Dill Pickle is ok, 1 handful at a time though lolzzzz
nostalgicfoodguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 14:51:16 (permalink)
In the city where I live, there is a store that sells nothing but British food products. The Brits have some unusual flavors of potato chips (which they call 'crisps') such as:

Prawn (shrimp) Cocktail
Roasted Chicken
Beef and Onion
Pickled Onion
Steak and Onion
Smoky Bacon
Heinz Tomato Ketchup

I've tried most of these, they are certainly unusual and a change from the standard American varieties. I liked the smoky bacon and the prawn cocktail best (didn't try the pickled onion or tomato ketchup).

also new (?) flavors which I haven't seen yet:

BBQ Rib
Lamb and mint (I *know* you all want to try these-gag!)

and one which they sell only at Christmas:

Turkey and Dressing!
thefoodguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 15:37:29 (permalink)
The worst I've had to date.....Ketchup flavor.

the brand doesnt really matter I guess.
Starts off like a bar-b-Q chip....then somethin really , really bad happens.

Ketchup....flavor...on a chip.

JMHO
nostalgicfoodguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 15:56:08 (permalink)
I just remembered, back about 12 or more years ago, I used to work at a store that sometimes sold Honey Mustard flavor potato chips. I usually don't like honey mustard flavor, but these were good.

By the way, the brand of British potato crisps I posted about is called 'Walkers'. They have a website:

http://walkers.corpex.com/cr15p5/products.asp?snacktypeid=26
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 15:57:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nostalgicfoodguy

and one which they sell only at Christmas:

Turkey and Dressing!

Yup Roast Turkey and Sage Dressing .. so wrong .. the Brit crisps tend to be verrrrry strong flavoured .. The only kind I ever liked was the Ham and Cheese flavoured ones .. and those were YEARS ago
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 16:00:37 (permalink)
marmite yeast extract potato chips
that's so.....wrong.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1098
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 17:44:05 (permalink)
Munchos. Again, like Pringles, I think they are crisps and not chips, but they have a really strange texture. Full of air and not a pleasant taste.

Question, do they still make O'Grady's chips. They were a thick cut chip that I remeber liking a lot.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 18:17:28 (permalink)
Here in Cincinnati there's a local-ish brand called Grippo's. Greasiest, nastiest tasting chip in the world. Made all the more nauseating by the faux-cheerful morning drivetime radio guy Jim Scott, who has been doing Grippo's commercials for decades with his trademark admonition to "fold up the bag and put it in your pocket for good luck."

Reds radio announcers Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall used to have their own brand of chips some years back. They weren't bad. But one day, during a rain delay, when they were taking listener calls to pass the time, Reds pitcher Jose Rijo called from the clubhouse, disguising his voice, and complained about "those nasty greasy tasting Marty and Joe chips." He compared them to "the oil used on the Hooter's chicken wings."

Marty is a pretty easily riled guy, and he started to argue; "Hey, nobody forced you to eat 'em." But Joe, the ol' lefthander, figured it out pretty quickly: "Tell you what, why don't you spend this rain delay thinking about your next start?" To which Rijo responded, "No comprendo!"
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 18:18:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

Munchos. Again, like Pringles, I think they are crisps and not chips, but they have a really strange texture. Full of air and not a pleasant taste.

Question, do they still make O'Grady's chips. They were a thick cut chip that I remeber liking a lot.

Oh, but I do love them so. The only snack food of which I could probably eat an entire bag.

Well. Not probably. It has, um, been done.
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: Worst Potato Chips 2007/02/01 18:22:19 (permalink)
Lance has good cracker products but bad chips
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1