Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Worst Potato Chips

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62
tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 2:21 PM (permalink)
I never thought I would eat a potato chip I did not like until about 10 minutes ago. I just finished a snall bag of Lance "Thunder" Sour Cream and Cheddar potato chips. I barely made it through the bag. While I have had some that I don't generally like (any KC Masterpiece BBQ comes to mind inmmediately) this was the first bag that thoroughly tasted like the floor of a Mexican jail.

dbrandon

• Total Posts: 70
    RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 2:29 PM (permalink)
    ...and yet you ate the whole bag?

Dan Brandon,
    honestly puzzled

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
      RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 3:28 PM (permalink)
      Have you never before encountered Lance vending-machine potato chips? At least, in vending machines is where I usually see them. Along with Tom products. Pretty low in the food chain.

halfday

• Total Posts: 51
        RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 3:31 PM (permalink)
        One of my co-workers brought in a bag of Martin's kettle cooked chips this morning and we pounded that bag. Great chips!

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
          RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 3:47 PM (permalink)
          Foolishly I did not heed a warning on another thread here - someone brought in a small bag of "Gibble's" chips yesterday, and I have to say they were downright nasty! No real potato flavor, oily/greasy mouthfeel, almost as if you'd coated your tongue with crisco. Then I checked the ingredients, and the damn things are fried in lard - yuck! Never again!

roadrash

• Total Posts: 231
            RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 4:00 PM (permalink)
            Can confirm that Gibbles are atrociously bad. The positive part of that is that they have ALWAYS been bad. I remember eating them something like thirty five years ago and nearly puking. It's good to see that some things don't change, even if they're bad things.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
              RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 4:03 PM (permalink)
              tamandmik, I can agree with you on the KC Masterpiece BBQ chips.. if there is any BBQ flavor on those chips, I have yet to find it.. it would be great if the chips lived up to the name..

skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
                RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 5:56 PM (permalink)
                I totally agree about the Lance potato chips, but I have to say that some of their other snack products are pretty good. The cheese crackers with peanut butter, and the captain's wafers with cream cheese and chive filling are two of my favorites.

As for potato chips, I have been getting Pringles salsa verde chips at the store, and I like those also.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 6:09 PM (permalink)
                  I have never had a flavord chip I could eat more than one of. A chip is potato, oil and salt. Once they get into the 20-letter ingredients, you are eating a chemistry experiment.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                    RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 06/15/06 6:35 PM (permalink)
                    Jays

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                      RE: Worst Potato Chips Fri, 06/16/06 1:35 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by dbrandon

...and yet you ate the whole bag?

Dan Brandon,
                      honestly puzzled

It was one of those 2 oz bags in a vending machine where I work. Never before have I heard of them! I barely finished the 2 oz bag. It comprised my lunch, very ashamed to admit.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                        RE: Worst Potato Chips Fri, 06/16/06 2:14 PM (permalink)
                        Ah, yes. Vending machine roulette. Let that be a lesson to you, others haven't been so lucky.

Worst chips I remember? In Maine about 30-40 years ago they had two local brands. They were both foul. One was Humpty Dumpty. I understand from taquitos.net that Humpty Dumpty is now a Canadian brand and well-liked but these weren't Canadian. The other may have been State Line, but I'm a little foggy on that. One of these, I think H-D, used coconut oil. Smells like suntan oil coconut oil. Hits your gut like a cutting torch coconut oil. Usually rancid by date sold coconut oil.

Pardon me while I wretch from the memory.

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                          RE: Worst Potato Chips Fri, 06/16/06 4:32 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by PaulBPool

Foolishly I did not heed a warning on another thread here - someone brought in a small bag of "Gibble's" chips yesterday, and I have to say they were downright nasty! No real potato flavor, oily/greasy mouthfeel, almost as if you'd coated your tongue with crisco. Then I checked the ingredients, and the damn things are fried in lard - yuck! Never again!

Gibbles are an acquired taste at best, They have a heavy lardy taste. My parents have always prefered them.
                          For lard cooked chips I prefer Grandma Utz, which while cooked in lard has Imho a lighter less heavy taste

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                            RE: Worst Potato Chips Fri, 06/16/06 7:29 PM (permalink)
                            Best Lance product. Gold N Cheese crackers. Very hard to find.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                              RE: Worst Potato Chips Fri, 06/16/06 7:40 PM (permalink)
                              Lance has excellent products, if you know what to look for. As far as potato chips go, Lance uses the "whole potato" when frying and thus cannot be compared to Lay's, etc. IMO, though, Lay's is pretty mediocre for most of their products. The best chips available regionally in MY area are Golden Flake. They are hard to beat. Of course, they are made down here, in the south. Food always tastes better down here. ;) ...in the south.

unalaskawoman

• Total Posts: 90
                                RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 06/17/06 4:41 AM (permalink)
                                This should be under a different topic, but the other day we had some "Cracked black pepper and lime" chips that were, we both thought, quite good. I think they were Lays. Anyone else had them?

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
                                  RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 06/17/06 8:17 AM (permalink)
                                  Each to his own taste, I suppose, but Tom's and Golden Flake are forever in a race to the bottom to see which one can produce America's worst potato chip.

In the snack food world, I think of Golden Flake and Tom's--in all their products--as a poor man's Lance. Both have crude, very poor ingredients. Yes, they produce a cheap product--and it shows in their choice of edible materials to produce it.

You gets what you pays for, I suppose, but how anyone can eat a package of any of their products and not have stomach problems later is beyond me.

Lance makes some decent, inexpensive crackers and cookies, but that's about all they have going for them.

paul and louise

• Total Posts: 116
                                    RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 06/17/06 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                    herr's potato chips
                                    get them at wally world occasionally
                                    very bad chip....but in novelty flavors of ketchup and worcestershire
                                    very, very unusual
                                    not sure i like them or not, but i still have a bag once or twice a year

Wander

• Total Posts: 38
                                      RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 06/17/06 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by unalaskawoman

This should be under a different topic, but the other day we had some "Cracked black pepper and lime" chips that were, we both thought, quite good. I think they were Lays. Anyone else had them?

They are a really good chip, though I can't eat more than a few in a sitting as the flavoring is pretty strong on them. Lays is the manufacturer, it's part of their new "Sensations" line of chips, in which they also have some new Tostitos flavors.

Michelle Wiedemann

• Total Posts: 125
                                        RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 06/17/06 8:04 PM (permalink)
                                        We bought these pita chips from Sams Club....OH MY GOD! You will kill vampires with your breath. They are the worst chip I have had in my life! Greasy, and soooo much garlic it is almost a whole garlic on one chip! My stomach actually got a lil jerky after eating just 2! We still have the bag of them on top of the fridge in case someone likes them...feel bad about wasting this huge industrial size bag of chips for some reason! BEWARE if you shop at Sams Club and see them, run for the hills!

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                          RE: Worst Potato Chips Sun, 06/18/06 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                          Pringles. Bleah.

Best: Kettle Cracked Black Pepper ruffled style. Basicly, Kettle any style. Love them Kettles.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                            RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 06/24/06 7:59 AM (permalink)
                                            I don't care for Tom's or Lance and definitely not Ruffles or Golden Flake. I used to eat Lay's Sour Cream and Onion in high school, but now NO. My favorites are Mike-Sell's (especially the old fashioned salt and cracked pepper) and Charles Chips. I like the flavored chips, but it depends on what it is --- lime and pepper yes, but greasy BBQ no.

Andrea

Riku The Surfer

• Total Posts: 31
                                              RE: Worst Potato Chips Wed, 07/19/06 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                              I've never really liked the Dill Pickle flavored chips. Just way to vinegary and salty for me. I love Dill Pickles...but this tasted nothing like them...

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                                                RE: Worst Potato Chips Thu, 07/20/06 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                                I grew up in the 70s in Chicago eating just Jays and Frito Lay. Imagine my excitement when I went to Cape Cod in 1983 and tried my first bag of Cape Cod-brand potato chips. It was as though I'd never had potato chips in my life until I tried those. Now I avoid Jays and Lays religiously (though I do buy baked Lays now and then if there's no other side available for a sandwich).

Rowsdower98

• Total Posts: 132
                                                  RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 08/12/06 8:19 PM (permalink)
                                                  Pringles. They just taste fake, like imitation styrofoam based food. They are all too uniform. Just not interesting.

evilpez

• Total Posts: 18
                                                    RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 08/12/06 10:18 PM (permalink)
                                                    Summer of 81 I think. Prince Edward Island - the Ponderosa cottages and camp ground. Hostess (a purveyor of potato chips in Canada - not to be confused with the U.S. king of Twinkies) came out with a fruit flavored line of chips. I believe there was orange, cherry and grape (your choice).

I begged and whined for a bag and finally my annoyed Dad caved in and bought me the grape flavor. One bite into what would sadly soon seem like a million rancid, Kool-aid laced fried spuds and I was done. But my dear father - being the ever vigil penny pincher - made and watched me finish the entire sack of purple doom.

There are certain things I still remember from my child hood and sitting in the back seat of a stuffy station wagon, choking back those things, as my fingers became increasingly stained with purple dye residue is sadly one of them.

Needless to say the fruit flavor line of chips went the way of New Coke, and Crystal Pepsi, but not before claiming many innocent chip victims like myself. If there is a potato chip Hell - then I know where those chips are residing presently.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                      RE: Worst Potato Chips Sat, 08/12/06 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                                      Louis zeroed in on the winner, I think. Golden Flake chips are just plain nasty.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                        • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Worst Potato Chips Sun, 08/13/06 12:51 AM (permalink)
                                                        golden flake does have some redeeming qualities, I love their HOT poke rinds, I love hot things and these were even hot for me.

other than that. golden flake

Mike Sells old fashioned sea salt and cracked black pepper, are now my favorite, just drink lots of water cause they are salty!!!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                          RE: Worst Potato Chips Sun, 08/13/06 7:11 AM (permalink)
                                                          There was a brand around in the 80's called Barrel o fun.They had the worst products, especially their potato chips.Flat, no flavored waste of time chips.I found a kettle chip called Ole Salty-they are lighter in salt and fat than most(but certainly not in the category of lowfat/salt)and they have a wonderful flavor.I have only seen them in Wisconsin.

Trishkaidekaphobia

• Total Posts: 133
                                                            • Location: Kitchener, Ontario, , NY
                                                            RE: Worst Potato Chips Sun, 08/13/06 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                                            A couple of months ago I bought a bag of sweet potato chips (forget the brand) at the health food store. I figured, if I'm going to eat chips, I might as well lessen the damage. I'm also a BIG fan of sweet potato fries.

They were hideous! Horrible! Disgusting! Not very crunchy and burnt tasting. I even checked the expiry date on the bag.

The clerk at the health food store told me that they were supposed to taste like that and that I was not the first person to return them. The store will no longer be carrying this product!

My question is: How did it even get on the shelf?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com