Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/27 11:13:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 45013

I made the mistake of ordering a reuben sandwich, when I thought I was getting a corned beef on rye, probably since actor Paul Reuben of Pee Wee Herman fame was born somewhere nearby. When I got it I was dodging the sauerkraut (I can't stand the taste), and they let me have the $5.25 sandwich for only $4. I eventually found a big grocery store at the first Pennsylvania exit that had a deli.

A reuben is supposed to have sauerkraut.
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/27 18:43:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

quote:
Originally posted by 45013

I made the mistake of ordering a reuben sandwich, when I thought I was getting a corned beef on rye, probably since actor Paul Reuben of Pee Wee Herman fame was born somewhere nearby. When I got it I was dodging the sauerkraut (I can't stand the taste), and they let me have the $5.25 sandwich for only $4. I eventually found a big grocery store at the first Pennsylvania exit that had a deli.

A reuben is supposed to have sauerkraut.

And, the popular Reuben Sandwich predates the actor who played Pee Wee Herman by several decades, IIRC.

Essentially, 45013 is claiming that he/she got a bad meal simply because he/she does not know what constitutes a Reuben Sandwich. As far as I can tell, this thread was supposed to be about bad food, not about being unaware of what is contained in a popular sandwich.

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/27 22:19:14 (permalink)
ANYTHING at Applebee's
steaklover
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/28 09:20:28 (permalink)
It's called a "Reubens".
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/28 10:20:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by steaklover

It's called a "Reubens".

Really? So it's incorrectly spelled as "Reuben" on every menu I've ever seen it on in my life?
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/28 10:27:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

It's called a "Reubens".

Really? So it's incorrectly spelled as "Reuben" on every menu I've ever seen it on in my life?

Google Reuben sandwich and no one spells it "reubens"

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cornedbeefandbrisket/r/bl30320n.htm
PapaDog
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/28 15:49:47 (permalink)
Some Mexican food place in a Mall in Water Town South Dakota.
It was a disgrace to call any of it Mexican food. I felt sorry
for the poor waitress after I left...she caught the brunt of my
criticism instead of the manager or owner...but I had never had
something that was so horrible...the queso/cheese sauce came out
of a can, the guacamole came out of a plastic tube not fresh made,
the hot sauce was more like tomato sauce with some onions chopped
up in it, refried beans were probably out of a can too...there was
nothing good about any of it.....oh wait my ice tea was good...I know
that cause I had probably 8 glasses so I could wash that crap they called
Mexican food down...and I didn't even eat it all.....I couldn't!
Tedbear
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/04/28 17:46:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

It's called a "Reubens".

Ditto! It has been spelled "Reuben" on every menu that I have ever seen.

Well, almost every menu. Our high school cafeteria used to feature "Rueben" (sic) sandwiches for the teachers.

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/05 18:13:39 (permalink)
I was reminded from another topic, hands down THE WORST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD...General Pickett's Buffet, Gettysburg, Pa.
I would rather spend a year in Darfur, naked and weaponless, than have to eat the crap that would gag a maggot, from General Pickett's buffet.
chainsaw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/06 20:26:59 (permalink)
a restaurant in tennessee... we went into the restaurant to find a large front room with both many locals and empty tables... however, they stuck my family of out-of-towners (and obvious yankees) in a side room all by ourselves- a room dedicated to nathan bedford forrest, the founder of the kkk... needless to say we were all pretty uncomfortable alone in this room with all these paintings and memorabilia celebrating forrest, and this certainly didn't make the taste of the bland bbq pork and soggy hush puppies any better!
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/06 21:24:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chewingthefat

I was reminded from another topic, hands down THE WORST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD...General Pickett's Buffet, Gettysburg, Pa.
I would rather spend a year in Darfur, naked and weaponless, than have to eat the crap that would gag a maggot, from General Pickett's buffet.

I'm sure a whole lot of people in Darfur would trade places with you. Why don't you see if they have an exchange program you could join?[|)]
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/07 18:12:48 (permalink)
I had the bruschetta at Macaroni Grill in Burlington MA. To this day, it is the only dish I have sent back. Canned tomatoes, some not even ripe, what seemed like V-8, over stale french bread. Bone cold, too.

Simply vile.

I have refused to go back since, because the other meals I have eaten there weren't that great anyway (as well as overpriced).
Pigiron
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/07 18:29:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy
I'm sure a whole lot of people in Darfur would trade places with you. Why don't you see if they have an exchange program you could join?[|)]

While this is an excellent point, it is (in my opinion) completely inappropriate for this forum, and pretty damn insulting.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/07 19:43:03 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

While this is an excellent point, it is (in my opinion) completely inappropriate for this forum, and pretty damn insulting.

Trying to combine humor and the living conditions in Darfur is, IMO completely inappropriate for this forum, and pretty damn insulting.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/08 06:44:44 (permalink)
quote:

I hope they didn't CHARGE too much!
Pigiron
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/08 07:15:11 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Trying to combine humor and the living conditions in Darfur is, IMO completely inappropriate for this forum, and pretty damn insulting.

Nebguy, it didn't come off this way, but my comment was mostly directed at the person that brough up Darfur in the first place. Poor quoting by me.
McJeff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/26 01:40:14 (permalink)
Definitely one night at the Egyptian Pizza - a non-chain restaurnt that serves woodfired pizzas.

I ordered a pizza that came with BBQed chicken as one of the toppings. When it came, the chicken had no BBQ taste to it, but that was it. The pizza bread was slathered in BBQ sauce, the cheese put down on top of the sauce, the unseasoned chicken and the onions on top of that, and then someone had literally poured BBQ sauce all over the pizza.

The weird part was - at what had always before been a very popular restaurant, at peak hours on a Friday night, the place was nearly empty, and more than that, they were expecting that. There was only one waiter on the floor and one man in the kitchen.

The waiter tried very hard to ignore me trying to get his attention, and only came over when both my mom and I turned around and glared at him. He then tried to claim the chicken was barbecued, when it obviously wasn't. His claim - the chicken was obviously BBQed because it was pink. We demanded that the owner come out, and the guy in the kitchen said the same thing this waiter did, that the chicken was BBQed and the fact that it was pink proved it. He stuck to this line even after I pointed out that BBQed chicken should be more or less the same shade as the sauce that my pizza was drowned in.

Eventually they agreed to take it off the menu. I didn't go back to Egyptian Pizza for over a year, and when I finally got back, it was like that weird night had never happened, they were serving good food to heavy crowds.
Guilty One
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/26 03:04:16 (permalink)
You sound surprised McJeff. BBQ Chicken is a selling term. At very best it means rottissurie (sp)

Unless I see evidence of a smoker, forget it.
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/26 03:04:23 (permalink)
Cancun Mexican "Restaurant" [quotes intentional] in Cincinnati. There are two. One in Western Hills Bowl [a bowling alley], and one on Hamilton Avenue. At both [so sorry I even tried a second time], I ordered a chile relleno {which I usually love}. The first time, it came out as a pile of ground beef, with a green pepper slice on top, and some queso dip poured over top. I asked why it wasn't a fried poblano pepper, stuffed with cheese, and they tried to tell me that was the way they made it in Mexico.

The second time, I was there against my will, with people who insisted on eating there. I ordered a lunch platter that consisted of a taco, cheese enchilada, and chile relleno. They brought me a children's hamburger & fries. I told them I ordered a lunch platter, not a children's meal. When they brought my lunch {about the time that my lunch companions had almost finished their meals}, the same "relleno" was on my plate.

Please tell me that an authentic chile relleno is not hamburger on a plate with a quarter sized green pepper slice, topped with cheese?!?!??!! {I know it's not ... so they suck!!}
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/26 08:02:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

Please tell me that an authentic chile relleno is not hamburger on a plate with a quarter sized green pepper slice, topped with cheese?!?!??!! {I know it's not ... so they suck!!}

A relleno, by definition, is a stuffed pepper so what they served you is there own version and not near being authentic! The stuffing can be whatever, we use black beans and a white Mexican cheese but it can be beef, pork, chorizo and I've seen a variation with eggs for breakfast. The pepper is usually a poblano.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/26 21:36:57 (permalink)
Neighborhood pizza joint in Chicago in 1983...my pizza had a clump of hair in it...I was too stoned to walk 5 blocks the return it...I think I ate a jar of peanut butter instead.. ...Obviously never ate there again...
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/26 22:05:07 (permalink)
The Dog House, Morgantown WV. 4 AM. A ham sandwich was two slices of white bread with a single deli slice of ham and a huge slathering of mayo. The burger was the size of a McDonald's burger (not quarter pounder) with a huge center slice of Bermuda onion, more onion than meat. The cook stood over the grill with greasy long hair and no net, smoking a cigarette with an inch-long ash hanging off of it.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/27 11:40:52 (permalink)
I had an Italian meal in Lake George several years ago that stunk! Too make matters worse, I found out a few days later that I had a 2 for 1 coupon that I could have used.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/29 17:44:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jaylhorner

I had an Italian meal in Lake George several years ago that stunk! Too make matters worse, I found out a few days later that I had a 2 for 1 coupon that I could have used.

If it stunk, why would you want 2??
Tedbear
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/05/29 17:55:15 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

That reminds me of the old joke in which two elderly women are discussing the food served at their hotel:

Old Woman #1: That dinner was terrible.
Old Woman #2: And, such small portions!

I guess that some people still want quantity, even if the quality is bad.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/06/03 10:10:55 (permalink)
" />Well let's see.We ate years ago with my late Uncle Tom at some place in Milwaukee. The first time the food was alright,so my dad said let's go back. So,my dad and sister got ribs,and Ihad something else. Both got sick,this was back in 1987,when they had the big flood on the Guadalupe river near Comfort,Tx and a Church summer camp bus got swept away.This even made national news at the time.
Comfort is north of San Antonio.
Another time my sister,her boyfriend Ross,and his friend Brian attended a science fiction convention in San Antonio.Jessica and I ate at the County Line BBQ on the river Walk. It really didn't seem to have any flavour,and we were very disappointed.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/06/03 17:15:53 (permalink)
Two come to mind---the first was back in 68 when i first moved to San Francisco--went to a place that called itself a deli and ordered a corned beef sandwich---it came on white bread with mayo lettuce and tomato and was one thick bone dry slice that was grilled ---horrible sandwich---had to eat it since they wouldnt take it bake and was very young qand broke and couldn't afford to throw it away! The next was years later and once again--i ate because we couldn't afford to toss it---my wife and two young kids were driving from Calif to my folks place in Mass--stopped to eat in a place on 90 in Indiana---my kids saw that liver and onions was on the menu and REALLY wanted it---i KNOW---sounds weird--but i cook KILLER liver and onions and they really like it--- so i ordered one order of it and two burgers figuring that i would eat it if they didnt--well--they didnt and i ended up eating the "Bycycle tire and onions" that they served. Worst liver i ever had.---BUT--NEVER again did my kids not listen to me when it came to food!!!
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/06/03 18:05:22 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I didn't want 2, but my wife's crappy dinner would have been free.
TenPoundHammer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/06/14 18:34:10 (permalink)
Big Boy, St. Ignace, MI, ca. 2003. The wait was about 45 minutes even tho the restaurant was half full; the whole restaurant was dirty; it took forever to get food; my burger was soggy; they were out of french fries, for God's sake; and the waitresses were all ugly and dirty looking. At least the salad bar was good -- it's hard to *(#@$ up a salad bar unless some short kid sneezes on the croutons.

Beyond that, I'd say the Post House in Breezewood, PA, April 2002. That place reeked so bad I couldn't even eat there, so I went back on the bus (it was a school trip to Virginia Beach) and drank Burger King sauce packets.
TenPoundHammer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Worst meal you ever ate in a restaurant 2008/06/14 18:46:28 (permalink)
Thought of one more: KFC/Long John Silvers in East Tawas, MI, about a year ago. I ordered a fish & hush puppies meal and a KFC snacker. Both tasted undercooked and mushy (as if they'd been cooked in overly recycled fry oil -- no crispiness at all). That's the only time I can recall asking for my money back at a fast food place.

Come to think of it, I got sick the last three times I ate Pizza Hut in the same town (now closed)... and the last time I ate at the Steak & Shake (or as I call it, Mistake & Shake) in Okemos, Michigan. Which is strange, because that particular Steak & Shake was great the first time I ate at it.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1