Would You, COULD You

Author
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
2006/03/10 18:49:19 (permalink)

Would You, COULD You

I know I posted this on another thread but it really belongs here. A small sandwich shop in Palatka, Fl called CP Deli run by Wally Hough (former footballer?) Presents the Wally Burger, 3lbs of meat fully dressed on a bun and a "side" of a pound of fries, clean your plate in an hour and it's free, fail and pony up $15.00. The subject of a news story, the reporter (not a lil fella) was the second person to actually clean his plate, perhaps he ordered it well done but it looked VERY well browned and the fries looked like the bagged/frozen variaty... http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=53535

26 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/10 19:47:10 (permalink)
    I wouldn't, but I could...
    That burger is little more than half the size of the steak I ate at the Big Texan in Amarillo, in the same one hour period. It's not one of my finest moments.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18640
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/10 19:52:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I wouldn't, but I could...
    That burger is little more than half the size of the steak I ate at the Big Texan in Amarillo, in the same one hour period. It's not one of my finest moments.

You ate one of those? Wow! My hat is off to you.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/10 20:18:49 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete,
    Congratulations. I have seen the deed done--two of my sons did it in less than an hour while I enjoyed a modest Ribeye as they ate! Consumming that 72oz Steak and the Potato, Veggie, Salad, and Bread is quite a feat!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/10 20:27:07 (permalink)
    Al has told me that story many times and in fact has posted it before. For the life of me, I cannot see how they did it.

I once ate a 24 ounce porterhouse, large salad, veggies and bread and a couple of glasses of red and then a dessert It took me two days to get over that.

Them Bowen boys and got sand!!!!!

I have often wondered how they fared the next day. How long after that feat did they eat again.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/10 20:52:30 (permalink)
    Are the Bowen boys large ? I'm asking because I am very large and can eat often but not a lot at once. Also it seems eating contests are always won by skinny little guys. I recall the Nathan's contest that several years in a row it was a small Japanese guy that won. Experts please weigh in and explain this.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7016
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/10 21:56:45 (permalink)
    Nope. Not me. No way. The other night we SPLIT a 10 ounce top sirloin and I could not finish mine.
    A 3 pound burger and a pound of fries is enough for a family of 4!!
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/10 22:06:27 (permalink)
    As memory serves, it must have been about 22 years ago. These days, I have trouble finishing a 1/2 pounder.
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/11 09:09:03 (permalink)
    I had Randy Thomas,Redskins All pro guard,all pro eater,take me up on an eating challenge.Long story short,he ate 6lbs.of food in a hr.he won.It was covered by ESPN, FOX News sports and George Micheal's Sports Machine.He's not a speed eater,but he can go the distance.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/11 09:19:54 (permalink)
    I guess my question is, how do you cook a 3-pound hamburger to a state you (or a family of 4) would want to eat it? I like 'em on the MR side, but can't see that happening here.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/11 09:26:00 (permalink)

The two of my offspring are 'average sized' boys (they were in their early 20's at the time of the dinner) @ 6ft and 180-200 lbs. That was about 15 yrs ago. I don't think they would attempt it these days.

I think the interesting part of the 'Big Texan' legend is the record of all who have 'done the big one'. Apparently a 78 year old lady did it at some time, and there are various speed records in the book, as well as at least one guy who did two of them back to back. We like to see the billboards about the "FREE 72 oz Steak Dinner" when they start appearing about 500 miles either side of Amarillo,TX on I-40.
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/11 20:07:46 (permalink)
    Al, you mention Amarillo. I wonder if this still goes on and in what areas.
    We were there about ten years ago and asked for a wine list at a restaurant.
    The server said "this is a family dining room" after I sat there in stunned silence for a moment he led us through a curtain to secret "adults only" dining room. Is this still common and where ? I thought we'd at least get a
    burlesqe show but nothing.
    I also remember enjoying the lineup for the week of hot lunchs in
    the public schools on tv in the hotel. I don't think where I live has
    ever provided lunch hot or not ever.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/11 21:20:18 (permalink)
    I could not eat that thing even if they gave me a week to do it in. That is one unappetizing looking piece of work. It looks way overdone and probably dry as a bone. I imagine they do it that way so very few people will beat them at their burger game.

I was about to say I could never eat 3 pounds of ground meat at one sitting, until I reflected a bit and realized I have done so in the past. The ground meat was not a burger, however. It was in the form of chili and took a lot less time than an hour to consume.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/11 21:31:01 (permalink)

Steven, I haven't had that occur in Texas, but I have in both Oklahome and Kansas. Well, similiar restrictive space, much like the smoking/no smoking areas that are also fast disappearing from the scene.
    In Oklahoma (Tiki correct me if I get this wrong) we were in a regular restaurant, when we asked about a drink with dinner, they led us downstairs to the 'club-room' where you could imbibe with your dinner, no kids allowed.
    In Kansas there were two serving rooms in the place. We entered the regular restaurant and were directed to the 'Private Club Next Door' which was in the same building but used a different entrance (same menu etc etc.
    Both of these experiences took place in the Mid-80's. I think that many of these 'unusual' restrictions may be long gone by now,Much like the Liquor by-the-drink laws in Utah that disappeared for the Olympics in 2002.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/12 07:37:22 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I recall in Wichita, Kansas in 1980, you could only order a drink in a private room. I do not think it is like that anymore.

I accepted that as that was the only way you could imbibe at and with your meal.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4634
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/12 09:19:57 (permalink)
    The Private Club law in Kansas had the reverse effect of making for a much looser,
    anything goes atmosphere in the Clubs, as opposed to Taverns, since they were virtually unregulated.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/12 09:44:42 (permalink)

Bill,
    Are those 'Private Club' rules still in effect?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4634
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/12 09:53:28 (permalink)
    Here's the official "Carrie Nation" endorsed version:
    http://www.ksrevenue.org/abchistory.htm

Here are the relevant current statutes:
    A Brief History of Alcoholic Beverages in Kansas - Part 4 - The Mid 80s to the Present

The 1985 Legislature passed three provisions that would prove to have a profound impact on the sale of alcoholic beverages in Kansas. Laws were passed to raise the drinking age for 3.2 beer from 18 to 21 and to prohibit "happy hours". The legislature also approved a referendum for the voters of Kansas to once again decide whether to allow the sale of liquor-by-the-drink to members of the public during the 1986 general election. A Liquor Law Review Commission was established that would conduct a comprehensive review of the liquor laws and recommend changes to overhaul the Liquor Control Act should the voters approve the liquor-by-the-drink constitutional amendment.

In an effort to reduce the incidence of drunk driving, federal legislation was passed that would end the flow of dollars to the states for highway construction unless the states raised their drinking age for alcohol to 21. The drinking age for 3.2 beer was set at 18 when it (cereal malt beverage) was legalized in 1937. The drinking age for strong beer, wine and spirits was set at 21 when they were legalized in 1949. Kansas, like every other state, did in fact, raise the drinking age for 3.2 beer to 21, phasing it in one year at a time. By July 1, 1987, the change in the drinking age was complete. This change had a major impact on the retail sale of alcoholic beverages and on the focus of liquor enforcement efforts. The legislature authorized five new agent positions for the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) to enforce the new law.

In another attempt to make the highways safer, the 1985 legislature enacted the ban on happy hours. The new law required bars and restaurants to maintain the same price for each drink throughout the business day. This eliminated two-for-the-price-of-one deals, 25 cent shots and other price-changing attempts to draw a crowd for a short period of time, e.g., right after work. The provisions of the happy hour law that prohibited persons from having more than one drink in front of them at a time or possessing pitcher of beer for one person's consumption were deleted by the 1986 Legislature.

The liquor-by-the-drink resolution was a result of a compromise between the Senate which wanted a statewide up or down vote and the House which wanted a range of restrictions. The resolution included provisions that would allow liquor-by-the-drink only in those counties where voters approved it and only in establishments that maintained at least 30% of their gross sales of food and beverages in the sale of food. It also would allow voters in counties that voted for liquor-by-the-drink (wet counties) to remove the 30% food requirement during subsequent general elections.

After decades of battling, liquor-by-the-drink was finally passed by the voters in the 1986 election by a 59.9% to 40.1% margin. Bars and restaurants in the 36 counties approving the measure could legally sell liquor to members of the public for the first time since 1880.

The 1987 legislature approved legislation implementing the constitutional change consistent with the recommendations of the Liquor Law Review Commission. Drinking establishments were created as a category of licensees allowed to sell liquor-by-the-drink. The new law also provided for the sale of liquor-by-the-drink on unlicensed premises by licensed caterers and by persons holding temporary permits issued by ABC, a measure not recommended by the commission. The legislature enacted several other recommendations made by the Liquor Law Review Commission including a ban on licensees selling liquor below acquisition cost, the creation of the microbrewery license type, allowing distributors to sell bulk wine directly to drinking establishments and private clubs, and permitting liquor retailers to deliver products to drinking establishments and clubs in their counties and adjacent counties. Sunday sales of 3.2 beer were legalized for establishments that maintain at least 30% of their gross receipts of food beverages in the sale of food. The prohibition against price and brand advertising was lifted.

Through the state's general election in November of 1998, a total of 11 counties have voted in liquor by the drink with no food requirements, 48 have voted in liquor by the drink with a 30% food requirement and 46 have not voted in liquor by the drink. Those 46 counties are the ones often referred to as "dry counties."

Another change that produced a dramatic change in the retail sale of liquor was produced by a Kansas Attorney General's opinion that the law requiring liquor retailers to mark up their prices a certain percentage was an unconstitutional violation of anti-trust laws. This opinion followed a U.S. Supreme Court decision that struck down similar laws in New York state. The lack of competition and the artificially high prices that this law caused resulted in created a situation where Kansas had a high number of retail liquor stores per capita compared to other states. When the minimum price markup law was rescinded, the number of liquor stores dropped sharply.

Changes in the liquor laws have been few and relatively insignificant since 1987. The minimum liquor container size law was repealed in 1993, allowing for the sale of "mineature" bottles. The election day ban on the sale of alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption was removed in 1994. Hotels that are licensed as drinking establishments were allowed to have mini bars in guest rooms in 1995. The spouse of a retail liquor licensee was allowed to obtain a license in 1996.

Throughout the state's history, the regulation of alcoholic beverages in Kansas has been a source of controversy with change efforts often producing a heated dialogue. As we move into our fifty-second year of regulating alcoholic beverages in Kansas, we at ABC look forward to the challenges that lie ahead in the 21st Century.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/12 10:57:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevencarry

Are the Bowen boys large ? I'm asking because I am very large and can eat often but not a lot at once. Also it seems eating contests are always won by skinny little guys. I recall the Nathan's contest that several years in a row it was a small Japanese guy that won. Experts please weigh in and explain this.

The contest winner for several years, Mr. Kobayashi, has said that he trains like any athlete with the usual aerobic conditioning and weight training along with oriental meditation. The trick for him is staying lean. He says that extra fat around the midsection impedes the expansion of his stomach in an eating contest. It must work, because he has been cleaning the big guys' clocks (or plates) for some time.
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/12 14:23:52 (permalink)
    One Iron, thanks..that actually makes sense.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/03/13 13:36:49 (permalink)
    I'm somewhat of a big guy here, but a 1/3 lb. burger, and normal order of fries normally does me real good. 3lb burger and 1 lb of fries is nothing but a marketing ploy, and reading it here shows it works!
    Red Green
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/04/23 08:40:27 (permalink)
    Ah Kansas..........I remember hauling Budweiser thru Kansas, and we couldn't stop at a truck stop there, because we did not have a liquor license!

As for the "Big Texan" that wasn't a steak, it was a ROAST!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/04/23 13:27:23 (permalink)
    Harrison's Restaurant in Ocean City Md has a challenge at their raw bar.
    There are about twenty menu items, all shellfish based, ranging from stews to raw clams and oysters which one must eat "at one sitting", no time specified.
    Last time I was there, about 10 years ago about fifty people had their names engraved on a large signboard for having completed the task. And there is no prize for doing it - you have to pay for everything you eat My name, John Logan is among those on the board.

Truth is, it's another John Logan, a beach and ski bum according to the bartender, but i still take credit for his accomplishment whenever I can.

Cheers, John
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/04/23 13:35:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Harrison's Restaurant in Ocean City Md has a challenge at their raw bar.
    There are about twenty menu items, all shellfish based, ranging from stews to raw clams and oysters which one must eat "at one sitting", no time specified.
    Last time I was there, about 10 years ago about fifty people had their names engraved on a large signboard for having completed the task. And there is no prize for doing it - you have to pay for everything you eat My name, John Logan is among those on the board.

Truth is, it's another John Logan, a beach and ski bum according to the bartender, but i still take credit for his accomplishment whenever I can.

Cheers, John

Now THIS is a worthwhile competition! My record of raw & steamed fresh Apalachicola oysters now stands at 14 dozen within 90 minutes. Unfortunately, this is only recorded in my pain from gout for the next week afterwards. Yes, I will do it again! (On better meds, now...)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18640
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/04/23 13:50:58 (permalink)
    And I thought I'd eaten a lot of raw clams when I downed five dozen one night on a bet.
    mountain_charlie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/04/24 16:43:35 (permalink)
    I ate 5lbs. of bacon,precooked weight,at one sitting,didn't take me very long either.

Matter of fact I believe I can eat more bacon than anyone,not speed eat,longterm.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Would You, COULD You 2006/04/24 17:10:46 (permalink)
    i can't imagine why someone would want to eat that much food.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1