Wow, what a surprise package from Spain

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/12/24 10:58:35 (permalink)

Wow, what a surprise package from Spain

My wife and I's best friends and neighbors for over 20 years are Cubans who migrated to the US and So Cal after 5 years in Madrid-Spain where the wife still has her parents residing there. Last night her parents in their late 70s arrived to visit them in their first ever voyage to the US. They came with more gifts than the 3 Kings-including a special care package for their daughter's neighbors. We flipped out because they brought us several styles of turron-nougat bars, the traditional hard and soft almond turrons, chocolate-almonds, coconut-almonds, walnut-chocolate and some sort of egg yolk almond turron. They also brought us chorizos and this huge chorizo that looks like a salami they call catimpalo that one slices like cold cuts. We also got these amazingly tasty almond powder puffs called polvorones, they just melt in you mouth. We also received a hand blown glass wine drinking vessel with a spout and a authentic Basque bota or goat skin lined drinking pouch, several tins of angulas-eels and to top it off several neaveau flamenco jazz CDs, of which one I played immediately blew me away, Afro Cuban pianist Chucho Valdes and Afro Flamenco singer Concha Buika, El Ultimo Trago or the last drink. Concha's parents migrated to Mallorca Spain from Ecuatorial Guinea, stunning recording

My wife and I will reciprocate on December 26th-Boxer Day and then on January 6th-Three Kings Days as there is no Santa of Cristmas Day gifts in Cuba or Spain, we are buying them 4 VIP seats for the Tournament of Roses Parade a the TV corner of Orange Grove Bl Colorado Blvds, then on Sat the 2nd, take them to Victory Park at the end of the parade route(5 1/2 mi) to see the floats up close and personal

3 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Wow, what a surprise package from Spain 2009/12/24 11:27:29 (permalink)
    Boxing Day.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Wow, what a surprise package from Spain 2009/12/24 12:31:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip about the CD, I listened to a clip. It will go perfect for a night of a fine wine served from one of your new drinking vessels. Nice gifts!
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Wow, what a surprise package from Spain 2009/12/25 09:46:07 (permalink)
    kland01s

Thanks for the tip about the CD, I listened to a clip. It will go perfect for a night of a fine wine served from one of your new drinking vessels. Nice gifts!

I learned the the wine vessel is called a porron:
    A porron (Catalan: porró) is a traditional glass wine pitcher, typical of Catalonia but famous throughout Spain. It resembles a cross between a wine bottle and a watering can. The top of the bottle is narrow and can be sealed off with a cork. Stemming upwards from the bottom of the pitcher is a spout that gradually tapers off to a small opening. It is shaped such that the wine stored inside it will have minimal contact with the air, while being ready to be used at all times. The idea originated as a replacement to bota bags. Porrons are most commonly filled with regular wines, either white or red, but are also used to drink Cava, and a smaller version filled with a sweet, dessert wine (typically Garnatxa) are common in Catalan restaurants. The lack of contact with the lips allows to a group of people to share the same vessel without offending their hygiene sense.

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1